FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HUD Section 8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HUD Section 8
    Posted: Dec 30 2012 at 1:17pm

Letter from HUD to MPHA dated 9-24-2012
http://www.cityofmiddletown.org/docs/commsvc/hud_mpha_9242012.pdf

Letter from MPHA to HUD dated 10-23-2012
However this letter was not approved until the MPHA Meeting in December 2012
http://www.cityofmiddletown.org/docs/commsvc/mpha_hud_10232012.pdf

I believe HUD will respond to this letter before the end of January 2013

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2012 at 1:36pm
Sounds like a plan to me
JEF View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2012 at 6:53pm
I'm confused about 2 points, can you please explain?

In the 4th paragraph it says there are 1662 allotted vouchers, and in the 6th paragraph it says that the vouchers will drop to 654.

So, will there be 1662 vouchers allowed? And if so, why would the number below say 654?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong? 
thanks
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 6:37am

Mr. Adkins wants to remove 1008 vouchers from the program.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 12:24pm
Jef,

Mr Adkins and other city leaders want to reduce the number of voucher administered by MPHA from 1662 to the 654 by attrition.  The City has for many years had an excessive amount of S8 Vouchers for a city it's size.  When you look at NYC, which the last I checked a few yers, it had 1 for every 99 citizens.  Middletown has aprox. 1 S8 voucher for every 28 citizens.

It is time to reduce that number so that Middletown may have a brighter future.

PacmanCool

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 2:43pm
vivian has dougie heard back from hud on his proposal to them?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:10am
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

vivian has dougie heard back from hud on his proposal to them?
Apparently, Dougie heard back from HUD on December 18th, but City Hall managed to keep the reply hushed up until today.

It seems like HUD lowered the boom and offered only three choices:
  1. Fill the available vouchers,
  2. Transfer the program to Butler County, or
  3. Face legal action.

A response to HUD is due by January 31.

Edited by Mike_Presta - Jan 05 2013 at 3:13am
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 9:56am
This is only half of the problems that City Hall and Mr. Doug are facing concerning HUD programs and funds in the coming year.

It is evident that HUD gave City Hall enough rope and they have now hung themselves. HUD must now have enough evidence to remove the Section 8 Program from city control. I’m sure that HUD now has a file cabinet full of complaints from tenants and landlords about the way the program has been operating or the past few years. This is a very serious matter.

While City Hall stands before Council and complains that the Section 8 and other HUD programs are costing them millions of dollars they are using both hands to stuff HUD FUNDS into their favorite pet projects and not the areas of greatest need.

The big secret that City Hall doesn’t want you to know is without all this HUD Money…..the City of
Middletown is broke.

The “
Fastest Dying City” is now in the express lane.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 9:58am
thanks Mike it will be interesting to see what judith and dougie do with this how they want to spin this the city does not need another law suit to pay for we need JOBS! how about we consintrate are efforts there
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 10:03am
Thanks Vivian You hit the nail on the head. Judith's grand idea has now put Middletown in dire straights. When will council wake up.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 11:14am
Over the Hill
As I have said many times before…there are two people in this world you really don’t want to tick off or pick a fight with, one is the IRS and the other is HUD. The bullies at City Hall picked the wrong opponent this time.
As Ganny would say “You shouldn’t bite the hand that feeds ya.”

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:42pm
I must have read a different article from you have all read.
SEEKING THE TRUTH View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEEKING THE TRUTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:47pm
KABOOM Wow I cant believe it has taken this long for the Director of MPHA Mrs Judy Gillelands plan of attack to get noticed. OK now that we are all on the same page people check this out Mr Doug says that the only way that the City can lose any HUD funding the agency would have to first find that a regulation violation had been committed and that the city refused to cooperate to regain compliance. People I have seen letters from the MPHA and Doug Adkins forcing voucher holders to pay old water bills on units that were never on the program but were owed to the city of Middletown for example a person rents a house in 2008 has a water bill balance off 150.00 and vacated the unit unpaid and is now on the program but the unit they live in now the landlord supplies and is responsible for the water. Under the Hap contract at this point the city of Middletown or MPHA would not have the grounds to demand payment of a old water bill but they notified the voucher holder that he of she will not might be terminated from the program if this old bill is not paid within ten days of there notice. Wow does this sound like manipulation of the program by the city or what?  more to come on the program later tonight 
SEEKING THE TRUTH View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEEKING THE TRUTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 5:05pm
KABOOM Wow I cant believe it has taken this long for the Director of MPHA Mrs Judy Gillelands plan of attack to get noticed. OK now that we are all on the same page people check this out Mr Doug says that the only way that the City can lose any HUD funding the agency would have to first find that a regulation violation had been committed and that the city refused to cooperate to regain compliance. People I have seen letters from the MPHA and Doug Adkins forcing voucher holders to pay old water bills on units that were never on the program but were owed to the city of Middletown for example a person rents a house in 2008 has a water bill balance off 150.00 and vacated the unit unpaid and is now on the program but the unit they live in now the landlord supplies and is responsible for the water. Under the Hap contract at this point the city of Middletown or MPHA would not have the grounds to demand payment of a old water bill but they notified the voucher holder that he of she will not might be terminated from the program if this old bill is not paid within ten days of there notice. Wow does this sound like manipulation of the program by the city or what?  more to come on the program later tonight. Your right Mrs Moon they thought no one of the understanding of the HUD regulations was watching I have watched this manipulation of the program go on long enough HUD needs to give it to Butler Metro. This program and the city needs new management starting at the top what is the Mayors opinion on this topic you would think that since he is elected by the people of this city he would want the best for all poor and rich I understand balancing the cities economics but not by removing families of the the city limits just what he is doing like i said  new management from top to bottom. 
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 11:09am
I like Mr.Adkin's plan--seems that he is bucking a very powerful outfit who
probably holds all of the cards. Hard to see this playing out well for the city.

So--Admin/Commissions have put us squarely buried underneath this mass
of poverty and commitment. Blame CONSOC, inspection groups, our controlling housing
Agency, whomever. It all comes down to Admin grabbing $$ at the expense to schools, public safety,
business and neighborhoods. If Mr. K is responsible, then he must be removed. Doesn't
say much for last Councils and city managers either. Asleep at the wheel.

Give it up--let the county take it over.
Give the $$ back--it wasn't worth it to anyone outside of the
entitled zone formerly known as downtown. Time for those properties
to grow up and be self-sufficient. A reality check
Then move on and ahead.
Only way we begin to get out of this mess imo.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 11:48am
I completly agree with reducing the # of vouchers. But Duogie's way is to vilify the PEOPLE taking part in the program. As I understand, even if it was all moved to Butler Co. The # of vouchers will still remain the same for Middletown. Judith came in to town running her mouth about how SHE was going to get ride of sec 8. She started down a path before she knew all the facts and now she is soley responsible,as the director of the MPHA,for the mess we may be in with HUD.She didn't bring the vouchers in, her buddy Kohler did, she is responsible for any legal action that may come to pass.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 1:41pm
im still pattin myself on the back for moving out of mid town 6 or 7 years ago, done forgot! lol.. for sure its alot worse now than what it was then...unlucky if i head that way once a month now, darn shame after being born in mid town in 1955. well but back to the subject of 1600 + WOW... sounds like they done got their t it in the ringer....
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 1:44pm

City Hall spends thousands of dollars every year doing studies on everything in this town.  Since all the new Section 8 vouchers were issued over a five year period don’t you think someone at City Hall should have done an impact study before they kept increasing the number of vouchers again and again?
Since not another city in the State of
Ohio
was requesting an increase in Section 8 vouchers every year don’t you think that this should have been a clue, a big red flag, that maybe something was wrong with their master plan?
I’m sorry but I will never believe the story they didn’t know what was really going on. Asleep at the wheel, they would need to be brain dead to not have seen what was really going on in the neighborhoods around them.
However I would believe City Hall was blinded by greed all those dollar signs..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Middletown requested the increase in Section 8 vouchers, misspent the other HUD funds on pet projects and now they want someone to step in and clean up the mess because all of our leaders at City Hall were asleep at the wheel. PLEEEZE

Why would HUD set precedence and reduce the number of vouchers in
Middletown
? It will never happen. Its time to move on and try to reduce the impact to our community.

If City Hall really wants to solve this problem maybe they should spend all this money, time, and energy to bring jobs to
Middletown and use the HUD Funds in the areas of greatest need.

Edited by Vivian Moon - Jan 06 2013 at 1:54pm
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 10:34am
Beautiful and real, Ms.Moon
Thank you!

Maybe a citizen could raise these concerns tomorrow night?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 12:03pm
You must be mistaken Vivian in your concern about the finances, spending and the handling of city money by city hall.......everything appears to be alright with Ms. Greis.

Today's Journal.....

Former auditor tapped as new finance director
Greis: “I think the city’s going in a good direction.” (NO WONDER JUDITH LIKES HER ENOUGH TO PROMOTE HER. SHE CAN DENY REALITY TOO)

MIDDLETOWN —
Although Michelle Greis has been with the city for five months, she has been tapped as the new finance director once Russ Carolus retires at the end of this week

“I think the city’s going in a good direction,” she said

Carolus ends on Friday his three-decade tenure working for the city of Middletown.

”I have tried to serve Middletown to the best of my ability,” he said. “When you work for a city for 30 years, part of your blood is in that city.”

DOES RUSS LIVE IN THE CITY, OR LIKE MOST, CAN'T WAIT TO LEAVE AT 5 WHEN THE "WHISTLE BLOWS"? HE OUGHTA LIVE HERE IF "PART OF YOUR BLOOD IS IN THAT CITY", RIGHT?

“Being a public servant these days is pretty much a thankless job (EXPECIALLY WHEN YOU DO IT LIKE OLE RUSS DID USING THE CAROLUS METHOD OF MAGICAL MYSTERY BUDGET MANIPULATION.

but one that is highly rewarding when we make people’s lives better,” Carolus said

HAS THIS HAPPENED YET?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 12:55pm
I think every dine of any HUD money coming into this city should be audited and checked out throughly to see where it has gone. there needs to be answers.IMO
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 1:29pm
Letter from HUD to City of Middletown dated 12-18-2012

I have a copy of the letter from HUD that I have now read twice.
I believe that HUD already has the proof that they need to remove the Section 8 program from MPHA and transfer the program over to BMHA.
Now MPHA will be put in the unique position of begging HUD in order to keep the Section 8 program but I’m afraid its toooo little toooo late.
So now we will still have Section 8, without any control and without all that HUD money.
GREAT MOVE CITY HALL

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 1:56pm
 HUD stated ”In light of these considerations, we believe it would be in the best interest of all concerned to explore an orderly transfer of the City’s program to the Butler Metropolitan Housing Authority.”
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 2:05pm
And is Dougie going to try and spin this to city council and tell them it's all going to be OK. Does Ann Mort really think there is any negotiations to be had in this mess? I truly hope there will be LOTS of guestions asked TUES. NIGHT. Even more I hope there is answers.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 7:21pm

Today Middletown Journal
Section 8 Options On Table

”A more thorough discussion will take place at the Jan. 22 MPHA meeting, a half hour before the City Council business meeting.”

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic