FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown Promise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown Promise
    Posted: Aug 06 2008 at 10:18am
The program provides maximum funding to students who attend the Middletown Local School District for kindergarten through graduation.

Scholarships could be administered to students by 2013.

The program would have a goal to stop and reverse population decline in the city and enrollment decline in the district, as well as increase the number of students who earn a college degree, said Kay Wright.

(Source: Meagan Eagle of the Middletown Journal)
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2008 at 11:09am
Yes John, at an annual cost of $30 to $40 million. Again, I ask the question- Where will this scholarship money come from? This school system is already strapped for money according to the school folks. Will this money be paid by the state?(taxpayer money) By the school? (taxpayer money) To "pay" a family to locate to Middletown is avoiding the real issue here. This is basically a bribe to live here. Why not put as much effort into improving the schools as they do in obtaining the money for programs like this? If the schools had a decent reputation for educating the kids, there would not be a need for a program like this because families would migrate to a decent performing school system on their own. Improving the performance of the schools is certainly cheaper than the $30-$40 million/year to pay them to come here and much more constructive. Futhermore, after their kids start attending Middletown schools, they may wonder what they got themselves into and some may not want to stay the required time to participate in the program. The "Promise" program will still be offering the same scholastic deficient program that we have now. Seems to me that this will be alot of money spent with potential limited success. Offering scholarships to people won't change the perception nor the performance of the schools. One more thing- where did the feasibility study money come from? Story doesn't say. Shouldn't we be asking these questions?
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2008 at 2:55pm

"Seems to me that this will be alot of money spent with potential limited success. "

If you look at the glass a half full, I see potential success. And that is a step in the right direction.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2008 at 8:37pm
Yes and if the program is not a success, it will have cost someone ? (state or city) mega bucks to find out it was a failure. Seems like a risky venture when you already know the deck is stacked against you. John, I admire your optimism and hope you are correct in your assumption of success. However, I'm a realist and like to examine the odds of success before plunging into anything. To me, this program and it's intentions do not seem to be a good bet, given the known obstacles it must overcome to be a success. Perhaps I tend to be overcautious and conservative in my thinking but there is that little thing about spending the people's money in a responsible way and not throwing it away on high risk ventures.Again, for the third time, I ask the question- Where will the $30-$40 million come from on an annual basis?- State funded or Middletown schools funded and if Middletown schools funded, where did they find the money? Article doesn't say. Wouldn't that be,oh, kind of important to know?
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2008 at 11:29pm
The trouble with people who see the glass half full is they fail to realize they bought a glass twice as big as they needed in the first place.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2008 at 4:27am
Ah, yes.  The old "Is the glass half full or half empty?" question!

The answer to this usually depends upon one's perspective.  Those doing the "drinking" usually see it quite differently from those PICKING UP THE TAB!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic