FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Friendly's Ice Cream by the Dayton Mall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lucas View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friendly's Ice Cream by the Dayton Mall
    Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 1:14pm
Has anyone else been to the Friendly's by the Dayton Mall in the last month or two? We frequent the place and over the last few weeks the size of their ice cream scoops have become a joke. I wrote a review about it of course (http://threefatguysreview.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/lucas-boycotts-friendlys-ice-cream-by-the-dayton-mall/) but I'd really like to know if anyone else has noticed it too?

The fact that waitress told me they are very strict on scoop size tells me that other people have probably said the same thing to her...

Edited by adamwlewis - Jan 16 2013 at 1:32pm
Read about my food experiences on Three Fat Guys Review blog: http://threefatguysreview.wordpress.com/
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 1:41pm
You should also put your reviews up on Yelp.com. I know a lot of people use that site for restaurant suggestions, and sometimes the owners of the restaurants do read them. 

I haven't been their in a while, but last time I was there I was pleased with the ice cream and shakes. Now as for Restaurants I have boycotted so far in Middletown is Fricker's because of the bad Service, cold food, and a rough crowd. And Golden Carole because of the unsanitary conditions, and kids running all over the place sticking their hands in the food and chocolate fountain. 
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 1:52pm
Portion control is FINALLY starting to gain popularity.
People have become spoiled by huge serving sizes, + the amount of food thrown away is incredibly wasteful.
Costs have increased for everything, particularly things associated with food prep.
Largest increases are in packaging, utensils, and all of the things involved in preparing your meals.

So--you will probably be served less for the same price wherever you go these days.
At least until prices riseon the menus.

Then again--people eat too much anyway--we have a serious obesity problem that will eventually cost us far more than food prices.

Food prices?
Public has had it very good for a long time.
Be prepared for dramatic increases by the year's end!
Lucas View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by ktf1179 ktf1179 wrote:

You should also put your reviews up on Yelp.com. I know a lot of people use that site for restaurant suggestions, and sometimes the owners of the restaurants do read them. 

I haven't been their in a while, but last time I was there I was pleased with the ice cream and shakes. Now as for Restaurants I have boycotted so far in Middletown is Fricker's because of the bad Service, cold food, and a rough crowd. And Golden Carole because of the unsanitary conditions, and kids running all over the place sticking their hands in the food and chocolate fountain. 

Thanks ktf, we actually just started putting our reviews on Yelp and a other review type sites. I agree with you about Fricker's! Haven't been in years for the same reasons! I'm not a big fan of Golden Corral (or any buffet style) restaurant, but haven't really had any "bad" experiences to make me not like the place though I completely understand where you're coming from.

Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

People have become spoiled by huge serving sizes, + the amount of food thrown away is incredibly wasteful.
Costs have increased for everything, particularly things associated with food prep.
Largest increases are in packaging, utensils, and all of the things involved in preparing your meals.

So--you will probably be served less for the same price wherever you go these days.
At least until prices riseon the menus.

Then again--people eat too much anyway--we have a serious obesity problem that will eventually cost us far more than food prices.

Food prices?
Public has had it very good for a long time.
Be prepared for dramatic increases by the year's end!

I understand portion control, and if that was the "standard" scoop size or if their menus indicated that the scoops would be so small, then I'd be okay with it. But the fact that their menus show large scoops, and all other local ice cream shops (including Friendly's until recently) give our large scoops, make this unacceptable to me. Especially with the cost. 
Read about my food experiences on Three Fat Guys Review blog: http://threefatguysreview.wordpress.com/
Gordon View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

You could be onto something.

But right now most of use are use to those larger potions. Our stomachs are still big but our wallets.. not so much. LOL

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2013 at 7:34am
Then again--I can't remember ever being served a "small" portion of ice cream.

Still--they best way is to buy your favorite and dish it out yourself!

I consider myself somewhat of an ice cream expert, in an area that is totally subjective.

I still moan the loss of Woo City Ice Cream(still looking for where the maker landed).
Current favorites include:
Graeter's Chocolate Coconut Almond
Jenni's Black Coffe(ridiculously expensive)
Talenti Vanilla Bean
Ben & Jerry's original Vanilla(hard to find--maybe extinct)

btw--Dillman Foods on Central sells Graeter's pints EVERYDAY for $4.99---the lowest price anywhere around
Lucas View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2013 at 9:31am
Oh spider I know all about Dillman's and Grater's ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic