FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

School Audit From The State

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: School Audit From The State
    Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 6:33am
Today's Journal...

MIDDLETOWN SCHOOLS

Audit citations lead to fiscal changes

MIDDLETOWN —
Missing money and the use of federal stimulus dollars to purchase items that weren’t allowable are among several citations issued in a state audit of Middletown City Schools

Thorpe, Middletown’s treasurer since Aug. 2011, said this was the first time in seven years the state performed the audit. Previously, she said, each district hired an independent auditor, one who was “less detailed orientated” than the state

HAVEN'T WE BEEN MENTIONING THE "INDEPENDENT AUDITOR" THING WAS A QUESTIONABLE PRACTICE? WE ALSO WONDERED WHAT THE STATE FOLKS WOULD FIND. NOW WE KNOW. MISSING MONEY AND USING MONEY FOR THE WRONG PURPOSE (HEY, SOUNDS LIKE THEY LEARNED FROM THE CITY GOVERNMENT WAY OF HANDLING MONEY AND SPENDING IT FOR THE WRONG PURPOSE)

The audit, which ended June 30, 2012, was released Tuesday and showed that Middletown needs to put “new processes in place,” Thorpe said after reviewing the findings. For years, she said, the district cleaned up its books at the end of the fiscal year. She said the state auditor has instructed Middletown to do it quarterly

OUCH! QUARTERLY HUH? SOUNDS LIKE A LACK OF CONFIDENCE IN THE STATE AUDITORS NOTES.

The district also was cited several times because different funds showed negative balances. From Dec. 7-11, 2011, the Uniform School Supply Fund showed a negative balance, the high being $332,460, the audit showed.

A NEGATIVE BALANCE. THAT'S NEVER A GOOD THING WHEN CONSIDERING MONEY IN/MONEY OUT IS IT? IS THIS THE START OF TROUBLE IN PARADISE UNDER THE THORPE BRAND OF DOING THE TREASURERS JOB? DO WE HAVE ANOTHER "MONROE" SITUATION BREWING? IS SHE AS PRUDENT ABOUT MONEY HANDLING AND ACCOUNTABILITY AS SHE NEEDS TO BE HERE?

For two weeks in February, the district’s General Fund had a deficit of $1,626,971, but that was because the district was waiting for money from the county audit, Thorpe said. She called this citation “not a big deal.”

NEVER REALIZED THAT A DEFICIT OF OVER 1 MILLION DOLLARS WAS "NO BIG DEAL". A "SLIGHT CONCERN" WOULD HELP HERE THORPE.

Also, the district was issued a citation because it used funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act to purchase items that weren’t allowable, according to the auditor’s office. Thorpe said the district was told by the Ohio Department of Education that was purchases were permitted

SOMEONE'S WRONG HERE. THE PURCHASE OF ITEMS THAT "WEREN'T ALLOWED". WHERE HAVE WE HEARD THAT BEFORE?

IF YOU'RE GONNA RETAIN HER SERVICES MIDDLETOWN, BETTER WATCH WHO IS TENDING TO THE MONEY. DON'T WANT ANOTHER "MONROE INCIDENT" DO YOU?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 11:42am
what ? watch thorpe ? but but she did such a great job at monroe ,this is the new norm in this country we put incompetent people in offices to "handle our tax money" I say we put AJ in charge of keeping an eye on this situation
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 11:52am
From the article: 

Middletown schools treasurer Kelly Thorpe called it “a very good” report because some long-standing policies are being modified.

Thorpe, Middletown’s treasurer since Aug. 2011, said this was the first time in seven years the state performed the audit. Previously, she said, each district hired an independent auditor, one who was “less detailed orientated” than the state.

Interesting that the state would audit the first year of the new treasurer. Coincidence? Maybe

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 7:44pm
Put me in charge, I'm blind I won't see a thing! ;)
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 10:31pm
Another reason why I will be voting "NO" on a levy.Big smile
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 12:08pm
I recently got a call the other day from the Middletown City Schools wanting me to do a survey for the upcoming school Levy. 
I mainly said I would not support the levy even though it would cost an extra $10 per month for a $100,000 house mainly because the school has not shown academic improvement , and having come from Springboro I am kinda burned out by school districts always asking for more money. 

They wanted to know where I get my information about the schools, I said the Local paper and MiddletownUSA.com  Smile

I also said just because you build a new school doesn't mean that the student scores will improve. 
I also asked why can't they just re-model the existing building, they said it would cost 70 MIL. to upgrade the existing school vs. 56 Mil for a new school.  I said that most of the people I know feel like there are not getting a return on the investment from the schools especially on previous tax issues that were passed.

Besides I told them I can't afford the extra $10 a month anyways Wink

So keep an eye out for a random call from Middletown City Schools that want to know your input about the upcoming levy. 

Lets hope they read the forum posts on this website as well Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic