FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Orman Bldg Demo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 6:43am
Man, we've got money out the wazzou for tearing down buildings, but not a penny for street repairs, right? We're gonna have the best kept green space/empty lots around, as we continue to drive on the crumbling roads and avoiding the frame bending potholes. Why so much focus on old buildings and not one eye on the roads city officials? Where are your priorities? Try spreading them out in more equal proportions. Guess they don't have the ability to look at more than one thing at a time.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 8:14pm

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 7:39pm

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 11:52pm

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2013 at 8:04pm
The crane was disassembled and shipped out yesterday.
Apparently they will finish the north building before starting on the south.

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 9:10am
I thought they were suppose to be spraying down the dust at the Orman site. I drove by there yesterday and dust was flying everywhere. Hope it's not "contaminated" with asbestas.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 11:21am
oh no its blowing all over the well field Shocked this is gonna cost ya...LOL
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 4:31pm
The crane is back. They opened a hole in the roof of the
south building and dropped in a Bobcat to clean it out.

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2013 at 11:09pm

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2013 at 6:20am
I'm getting excited that we are getting so close to yet another area of "Green Space" in the downtown area. Will allow us to go down there and experience all the ........openness and , you know, green space. Judith must be getting so excited as another building topples and we get closer to Desolation Row. I suggest a photo op with the Mayor and civic leaders with Hissoner, Lawrence Mulligan reading yet another proclamation making this "Middletown Green Space/Parking Lot Day" at the next council meeting. Give the Journal another opportunity to soak up the valuable information supplied by the city as they do their "one-sided" reporting. What a treat!!!
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2013 at 7:24am
Other than cost, how can you make any sensible complaint about demolishing this eyesore?  Pick your battles better, Vet.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2013 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

Other than cost, how can you make any sensible complaint about demolishing this eyesore?  Pick your battles better, Vet.

Agree with you Bill. Wasn't picking a battle here. Just trying to say that they are dam good at knocking them down and creating alot of "nothingness". Just not good at replacing the empty lot with something of use. Nothing wrong with knocking down this thing. When was the last time you saw something replace what was removed?
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2013 at 9:24am
Unfortunately it may take 10 or 20 years for some of this greenspace to  be used for anything.  We can just hope it is put to best use.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2013 at 9:34am

Bill - Other than cost, how can you make any sensible complaint about demolishing this eyesore?  Pick your battles better, Vet.

It was clearly a MISUSE of the RESTRICTED WELLFIELD PROTECTION FUND to the tune of $600,000 by City Hall.

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2013 at 9:33pm

Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2013 at 12:48am
I got to see some of the demo work today.  I was a little surprised the city can't be more creative with their demolition dreams.  I can totally understand demolishing the first section.  It was a fire trap.  It fell apart like shredded paper.  This last section, not so much.  Even the roof on this last section is concrete rebar.  In other words, they could have parked cars and numerous other things on that roof, that's how strong the building is.  It took them all day just to tear down that back little corner.  I guarantee this is the majority of the demolition costs.

Now if I was in charge, what I would have done is only demolished the weaker sections, which would have opened up a large parking lot for this last section, which was built like a bomb shelter.  I'll go so far as to bet the demo costs of this last section is 70% of the bid amount approved.  So with the weak sections gone, huge new parking lot, and this leftover warehouse space, I would have left it on the back burner until the city could find someone to use that space as a ......  yes, a warehouse!  Some business would have eventually purchased the remaining section.  There is always a need for warehouse space.  If not now, then down the road.

I would be embarrassed to be responsible for this type of outcome.  It would show I was lacking.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2013 at 8:43pm

AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2013 at 9:29am
How bout the court of appeals across from the city building? That's a pretty nice building. I agree the city could bring in more business but I am all for tearing down old abandoned eyesores. Where Swallens used to be looks so much nicer now even though its green space.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2013 at 9:12pm

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2013 at 5:08pm

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2013 at 5:23pm

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2013 at 6:01pm

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2013 at 9:23pm
409 you have done a wonderful job with all the pictures of the orman building. I for one have enjoyed seeing progress in getting it down.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 8:23am
Awesome job 409. I can't wait to drive past the city building soon and not see that building. Granted I love to keep old buildings and architecture this one would have been way to expensive to modernize.  
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 6:47pm
Thanx!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic