FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

School Delay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
enough is enough View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enough is enough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: School Delay
    Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 6:23am
Middletwon City Schools would like to make us believe that they have are childrens safety as a top priority,so why in the worlld would they not dealy school on a day like today. Schools all around us are either closed or delayed. IMO just anoher nail in the coffin of not passing their precious school levy. They cannot even make an intelligent decsion to not risk the lives of the students and the staff who have to commute from all over the tri-state.
Enough is Enough
Vinny View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 8:33am
The roads werent that bad this morning. Last night was pretty bad but I didnt have any problem driving to work this morning.
Lucas View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 8:38am
I personally saw nothing wrong with any of the roads this morning. I take my children to school and all the main roads and side roads that I take were more than acceptable for cars and buses.

Are there any roads that made you post this? I think the School District made the correct decision.
Read about my food experiences on Three Fat Guys Review blog: http://threefatguysreview.wordpress.com/
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 8:57am
The neighborhood streets in the Ayrshire neighborhood only had one lane of pavement exposed, and the rest snow and  iced covered, and Holly Ave. was pretty much snow covered. It seems like our neighborhood is always last to get any attention from the city not only for snow removal, but road maintenance, you can only keep re-filling pot holes so much before you need to repave.

A 1 or 2 hour delay would have been fine, because it would have allowed the sun to heat up the pavement enough to start melting the snow. But seeing how the main roads were pretty much clear I understand why they didn't delay the schools. 

Besides I am sure if the schools did delay, they would have gotten parents calling in complaining about the delay in convincing them.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 9:09am
Hamilton City Schools, Dayton City Schools,  Cincinnati City Schools,  Miamisburg City Schools, Waynesville Schools and Centerville city schools did not Close or Delay either. 
enough is enough View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enough is enough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:56pm
My major concern was not the road conditions but the Minus 7 wind chill factor and all those kids who have to stand outside and wait on a bus. Anyone know how far below Zero it has be in order for school to be delayed?
Enough is Enough
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 2:03pm
I think it might be -20 degrees, but you might need to contact the school and find out the exact temperature. I would like to know as well.
Lucas View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 2:29pm
I gotta disagree still. Sure, -7 is cold, but responsible parents should bundle up their children and teach their children how to deal with cold weather. -7 isn't life threatening for a 5-10 minute bus-stop wait. I think this is another case of parents wanting to shirk their responsibilities and expect the government to do their job. I'm not saying that's you "enough is enough" but I just don't think "cold weather" is an excuse to cancel or delay school. Children in Minnesota and Alaska seem to be just fine.
Read about my food experiences on Three Fat Guys Review blog: http://threefatguysreview.wordpress.com/
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 7:21pm
Enough is enough,

When I was HS I use to walk to school on days when the temp was -40 to 50 degrees with windshield. I survived just fine.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2013 at 5:09am
You can do what the parents of Springboro do, drive your kids to the bus stop, and have them wait in the car until the bus arrives and have them get on the bus
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic