Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, April 26, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sorg Mansion Flooded?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 3:36pm
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 3:47pm
Wow--cool pics Tudor
Wouldn't want to have to deal with that

Take me in that place and down there!
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 4:39pm
Where is this?
VictoiranLover View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VictoiranLover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 9:31pm
I was through the Mansion with Rachel Finkelman back in May of 2011. Its a beautiful house. I asked about the tunnels, the realtor has to give full disclosure. She said there are no tunnels under the house. Then again how would she know... their family never maintained the property even tho they have owned it for approximately 65 years+. It was a shame to see the water damage from the leaking roof, the missing wood work, the bathrooms that were in poor condition and the once beautiful stained glass. I can imagine the millions it will take to restore the once grand and stately home. If there are tunnels that is an amazing story, I know going through the house there are no passageways in the basement.Lamp Lamp
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2013 at 7:58am
Oh wow... is that photo the real thing?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2013 at 10:07am
Reminds me of Phantom of the Opera
Christine!
The Angel of Music!
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2013 at 12:15pm
oooo man i would love to explore down there, thats some cool beans!!! Thumbs Up gotta be neat being the 1st ones down in there... wonder how long anyone been down thru there besides a few alligatorsLOL
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2013 at 3:21pm
I hope TudorBrown doesn't mind that I broke into his camera and stole the tunnel image and was able to remove the date, clean up the image, and make it bigger! 

MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictoiranLover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 5:01pm
 I checked with the City Engineer and he also had heard of the rumoured tunnels but had no drawings or any proof of such.  He doubted they still exist, if they ever did, due to all the utility construction over the years.  Regardless he did not think they would add to any flooding issues.   

In regards to the flooding he also had not heard of any recent flooding issues.  There are combined storm/sewer lines in that area but he said it would take a monumental rain to cause any backup issues.  Also, the downtown is protected from the river by levees built after the great flooding of 1913.  He assured me that any downtown flooding would be something of a very rare event indeed.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 5:48pm
So is there a tunnel or not?  I'm confused.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictoiranLover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 3:11am
By the sounds of it many Middletonians should be writers. They seem to come up with some great storys. Realtors have to give full disclosure by law. I asked Rachel Finkelman about the tunnels and she said that they didnt exist. I took it to the next level, the city engineer and he said basically the same thing, they dont exist. So take it for whats its worth. I guess the tunnels are like the shroud of Turnin. People believe in its existence, science denies it. If you believe in it enough anything can be true. I would like to know why there were pumper trucks out front of the house. That is the one question I didnt get an answer for. It wasnt for pumping out the tunnnels. The house has been taken off the Market after being listed for over 1,000 days. Rachel is still accepting offers on the house and she is still asking $500,000. The house needs a minimum of 750K not counting working on the carriage house or the Duplex. Which is the oldest house in Middletown seeing the "oldest house caught fire a couple years back.Its bad when I live 8 hours north and in a completely different state and I can find this info out. Its a matter of public record. Atleast you dont have to worry about flooding seeing what happened in 1913. The city learned from that lesson. 
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictoiranLover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 3:17am
I also would like to know who "We" entails. Did you purchase the estate? Do you work for the city, county If you purchased the estate what are your plans with the structure? You sure were vague about the whole posting. I was hoping you could fill in some of the blank areas that are in your story... Dazed and confused....Wacko
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictoiranLover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 3:18am
Sorry, my last comment was for TudorBrown...
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 8:52am
When "science" can show how it was possible for someone in the 1400's to perfectly "fake" the Shroud of Turin, then you can use that as an example!  Professing themselves wise, they became fools.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 10:57am
According to my dad who use to do survey work for Kaiser in the 60's, he said that Middletown has a really high water table, and in fact some of the buildings at AK Steel and the Coke Plants are basically floating, and the water needs to be pumped out and back to the Miami River continually to keep it from flooding. So it would not be out of the realm of possibility the the water table has risen enough to flood the building.

I don't know if this is still the case today. 
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 12:39pm

A wise man can be a fool

but a fool can never be a wise man

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by VictoiranLover VictoiranLover wrote:

By the sounds of it many Middletonians should be writers. They seem to come up with some great storys. Realtors have to give full disclosure by law. I asked Rachel Finkelman about the tunnels and she said that they didnt exist. I took it to the next level, the city engineer and he said basically the same thing, they dont exist. So take it for whats its worth. I guess the tunnels are like the shroud of Turnin. People believe in its existence, science denies it. If you believe in it enough anything can be true. I would like to know why there were pumper trucks out front of the house. That is the one question I didnt get an answer for. It wasnt for pumping out the tunnnels. The house has been taken off the Market after being listed for over 1,000 days. Rachel is still accepting offers on the house and she is still asking $500,000. The house needs a minimum of 750K not counting working on the carriage house or the Duplex. Which is the oldest house in Middletown seeing the "oldest house caught fire a couple years back.Its bad when I live 8 hours north and in a completely different state and I can find this info out. Its a matter of public record. Atleast you dont have to worry about flooding seeing what happened in 1913. The city learned from that lesson. 

I don’t believe for one minute that picture is a tunnel underneath Sorg Mansion.

Re: the oldest home in Middletown.  You mentioned the home on South Main Street that was destroyed by fire a few years back.  That home was the oldest home still in its original location built in 1827.  Middletown’s oldest home was moved to Thorn Hill Lane in the 1950s.  Its construction date I believe is 1825, and is a good example of federal-style architecture.  The oldest home now in the South Main Historic District, I believe, is the pinkish-colored home at the corner of Second and Main. 

I find it interesting the Middletown Journal is quick to report the fact that there are thousands of dollars in back taxes owed, but doesn’t press Rachel on why that’s the case when they did in fact interview her for the story that was recently published.  Nor do I believe she has real interest in selling it.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

The oldest home now in the South Main Historic District, I believe, is the pinkish-colored home at the corner of Second and Main. ...  Nor do I believe she has real interest in selling it.
After the new DECORATIVE street lamps are installed there will be NO MORE "South Main Street Historic District"!!!  All that will be left is PRISOMS (People Re-inventing and Imitating Some Other Main Street)!!!

And it is Ms. Lewitt's business whether or not she sells (or does anything else) with her private property!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 6:25pm
It is the public's business when she fails to pay property tax owed.  
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

It is the public's business when she fails to pay property tax owed.  
I agree...and I didn't dispute (or even mention) that, did I???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 6:47pm
And need I point out that that it will be harder yet for Ms. Lewitt (or any potential buyer) to pay the high property taxes once the assessment for the new, phony gas lamp posts and lights are added to the tax bill??  Thank goodness she (or any potential buyer) won't have to pay for the power and maintenance of these lights.  I'm sure that the energy costs for this property are high enough and the owner shouldn't be burdened with the costs of power and maintenance for decorative lights for the property.  That's what the rest of us taxpayers are for...right???
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 8:50pm
http://fineartamerica.com/featured/flooded-tunnel-steev-stamford.html
Go to link...

Read description to the right...

Note where it states Flood effect digitally applied
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/flooded-tunnel-steev-stamford.html
Go to link...

Read description to the right...

Note where it states Flood effect digitally applied
Nice find, Pacman!!!  I notice that the photographer who took the shot is from Stenson Hamlet, Derby Shire, United Kindom.  The tunnel is likely in Europe.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2013 at 9:25am
You can't trust any pictures anymore thanks to Photoshop
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2013 at 10:09am
WOW I'm going to have my picture taken and have it "photoshopped" so I can look like Brad Pitt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic