FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Community Involvement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Community Involvement
    Posted: Apr 11 2013 at 6:35am
Interesting Journal story....

As businesses leave Middletown, so do leaders

MIDDLETOWN —
Look down the roster of any Middletown government committee, council, commission or nonprofit’s board of directors, and you will likely see a lot of the same names.

They’re the same people who have volunteered or sought political office time and again. They’re from prominent families in the city, and many work for some of the most successful businesses in town.

Some city leaders say that kind of institutional knowledge and deep-seated ties to the community are needed for Middletown to be successful. But others say Middletown needs an infusion of fresh faces as longtime community leaders grow older and fade to the background.

As sitting City Council and school board members contemplate whether to run for re-election in November, many residents are wondering who will step up to fill the void if they don’t or who might challenge them if they do. In recent elections, there hasn’t been a flood of candidates pulling petitions and some have questioned whether the best and most qualified candidates are coming forward.

ONE OF THE PROBLEMS IN RUNNING, IF YOU ARE NOT KNOWN, A MEMBER OF THE INNER CIRCLE OR HAVE A DIFFERENT AGENDA THAN THE CURRENT LEADERSHIP IS THE FACT THAT THE INCUMBANTS WILL TAKE NOTE OF YOUR RUNNING AND ENLIST ENOUGH OF THEIR OWN KIND TO DILUTE YOUR VOTES, MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO WIN. THE UNDERTOW OF MIDDLETOWN POLITICS IS BASED ON EXCLUSION OF ANYONE WANTING TO RUN THAT THE ESTABLISHMENT FEELS IS A THREAT TO THEIR DOMAIN.

Dick Slagle, interim president and CEO of the Chamber Serving Middletown, Monroe and Trenton, said the people who are familiar with serving on boards, commissions and campaigns are there because people know they’ll get the job done.

OH REALLY SLAGLE? THINK THE CURRENT BUNCH IS "GETTING THE JOB DONE" FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE CITY AND IT'S CITIZENS? CHECKED THE REPORT CARD LATELY? HELL, THERE HAVEN'T BEEN GROUPS OF PEOPLE SERVING ON BOARDS, COMMISSIONS, ON COUNCIL OR OCCUPYING THE CITY BUILDING FOR DECADES THAT HAVE "GOTTEN THE JOB DONE". THAT'S WHY WE'RE IN THE SITUATION WE'RE IN. IT'S THE SAME PEOPLE ON THE SAME BOARDS AND COUNCIL OR, AT BEST, COOKIE CUTTER PEOPLE SAYING AND DOING THE SAME THING THE PREVIOUS PEOPLE DID. MEET THE NEW BOSS.......SAME AS THE OLD BOSS MENTALITY. NO ONE AROUND FOR DECADES TO RUN THE SHIP CORRECTLY. FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD, LOOK AT THIS TOWN MAN. WHAT WAS ONCE GOOD HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH INEPT, NON-FUNCTIONAL DIRECTION AND IDEAS.

Bailey said Middletown has to develop a way to cultivate young talented professionals, keep them here and keep them involved in the community. He said many older community leaders who have served their time, like Slagle, are being called out of retirement to serve on boards, lead organizations or run for office because there aren’t younger successors in place.

HELL NO, WE'VE DRIVEN ALL THE YOUNG PEOPLE OFF EITHER THROUGH A LACK OF OPPORTUNITIES HERE, LACK OF JOBS, LACK OF A FUTURE. THE COMPETENT YOUNG PEOPLE SEE WHAT IS HERE FOR THEM AND KNOW THEY CAN DO BETTER WITH LITTLE EFFORT ELSEWHERE. THEY DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN A TOWN THAT IS AS POORLY RUN AS THIS TOWN HAS BEEN. THEY WANT A MASON OR SPRINGBORO, OR BETTER YET, TOTALLY OUT OF OHIO AS THEIR PLACE TO RESIDE. THERE IS A SEVERE LACK OF PROFESSIONAL, UPSCALE JOBS AND PAY IN THIS TOWN. YOU SIMPLY DON'T OFFER WHAT THEY NEED NOR WANT HERE. NO CONNECTION TO THE YOUNG PEOPLE HAS BEEN MADE BY CITY LEADERS. THAT IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PLACE ALL YOUR INTEREST IN YOUR LITTLE INNER CIRCLE OF INFLUENCE AND IGNORE THE GENERAL POPULACE.

While he doesn’t believe there is a leadership vacuum in the city, Councilman Dan Picard said there is a lack of young people involved in the community.

“I don’t know if that’s a product of our times because those younger people have kids and they’re so involved with them and they’re not involved or it’s the lack of interest,” he said.

AND, DANNY, IT COULD BE THAT THEY SEE HOW YOU AND OTHERS ARE RUNNING THE CITY. THEY SEE THAT YOUR LITTLE ECON. DEV DEPT HAS BEEN DRAGGING IT'S FEET (UNTIL NOW) ON DECENT JOB CREATION FOR DECADES. THEY SEE HOW THE LOW INCOME GHETTO BUILDING PLAN HAS HELPED TAKE THE CITY INTO THE POOR ZONE. THEY SEE CRIME INCREASING BECAUSE OF IT. THEY SEE CASHIER AND GAS STATION ATTENDANT JOBS INSTEAD OF HIGHER PAYING ONES. THEY SEE A FUTURE SOMEWHERE ELSE.......AND THE CITY LEADERSHIP, PAST AND PRESENT, SHOULD TAKE THE BRUNT OF THE BLAME FOR THAT. JMO

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2013 at 11:03am
I don't think how city government has much to do with lack of civic engagement in Middletown.

As the article mentioned, Armco had a history of deep civic engagement; to list it all would take a book. When they left, they left a vacuum and their steel-making successor has no desire to fill it
The culture at AK Steel was led by operators Tom Graham and his protege, Dick Wardrop. Both quite brutally instituted a completely different culture at the GO and Eastworks. GO is gone; moved out of town. Research (if you want to call it that) is the only remnant left on Curtis Street.

AK Steel has very little interest in community involvement outside of naming rights for empty band shells and soccer fields. But AK is like a lot of companies who cultivate a corporate environment that has no sense of place, no responsibility for civic engagement.

But Middletown is no different than anywhere else in the US. The entire country has traded Armco's paternalism and pensions for the United Way-NGO, roll-your-own 401k culture like that at AK. They've institutionalized civic engagement as another bureaucracy and its sucks.

To focus this discussion on city government is a distraction. I would suggest we start with Kay Wright's resignation letter that was printed in the Journal on the editorial page. Does anyone have a copy they could share with us?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2013 at 12:09pm
right on the money, Squeem

Kay Wright was a joy to work with at MCF
my reason for signing on, and participating on the finance committee
would love to read that letter again

unfortunately, Mr.Scorti, Dr.Flagel and Mr.Gordon did not appreciate my candor and involvement
met with an outsider studying the situation who was extremely interested in what I had to say about my experience

still--the civic re-surgence will hopefully lead to new progressive faces being involved to move us forward.

ALSO:
DON'T MISS 20+ GRAMMY WINNER CHICK COREA @ FINKLEMAN AUTITORIUM ON 4/21 !!!
LAST SHOW OF THE SEASON--SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST!!
PLENTY OF SEATS AVAILABLE---SELLS OUT NATIONALLY AT TWICE THE PRICE!!
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2013 at 12:29pm
squeemy....Don't have a copy but found this:

Foundation has grown, but city has also fallen behind

As neighbors improve, 'I've seen Middletown become less desirable.'

Eric Robinette Staff Writer erobinette@coxohio.com
DATE: November 2, 2007

Excerpt:
After nearly eight years of leading the Middletown Community Foundation, Kay Wright, the executive director will retire her post at the end of this year. As she looks to her future, she also recalled her time in Middletown, sharing candid observations about the community.

Q: What changes have you seen in the community?
A: From a personal perspective, coming to Middletown has been the most rewarding experience of my whole life. I have found the best friends and the most pleasure in living of any place I have ever lived. On the foundation level, I think the foundation has really thrived, we've kept our integrity, we've grown, and it's exciting to see how we've moved ahead. On the third level, I am very frustrated by this city, and the difficulty in really making systemic changes in this city, and the inability for me personally, and for the foundation, to effect any change. We don't seem to be a player at the table, even though we are often invited to that table. ... We should be more of a catalyst in this community to bring money to the table. That role doesn't seem to be there for us.

Q: Why do you think you haven't been a catalyst?
A: There's a lot of possible reasons. I don't have the strength of personality. One of the very first things I was brought into when I came here was an initiative between the city and the foundation called "Middletown It." It was the first buzz saw. ... Really committed individuals would talk and then come to a decision, they'd bring it back, but when it came to implementing it, there was not support or cooperation from the rest of the community.

The irony is, in the eight years I've been here, I've watched the city of Hamilton - and I know those are fighting words - improve significantly. I've watched Monroe and Franklin improving everything. They are all communities that are on the rise, becoming more desirable communities. ... And at the same time, I've seen Middletown becoming less desirable.

Q: Why is that?
A: This is an opinion ... Hamilton has a group of people with an attitude that says "How can I work with the rest of these people to make this a better place for all of us?" I see that in Franklin, I see it in Hamilton, and I see it in Monroe. What I see in Middletown tends to be a sense of, "I'm here to protect my turf. And I'm here to make sure someone else's turf doesn't get any larger. What's important to me is maintaining what control and power I have." ... I think people are genuinely interested in change, but they're not really willing to give up their own power to the greater good.

Q: How do you think Middletown turns the corner?
A: I have no idea. I really don't. I don't know what we can do, even though we want to be a partner. I don't know how you get the city to believe in itself again. ... We are a group that has the capability to bring money, but we don't have a place at the table for some reason, and I don't know if it's me personally, or if it's broader than that. As much as people love us for what we do, those who have been involved for a long time in making decisions in the community do not see us as a partner.

squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2013 at 12:59pm
right on, Spider for the RTF front man plug - I'll see you there - bought my tix the day I heard he was coming - just Chick and his piano. should be stellar.

much thanks to 409 - I knew one of you guys would come through. I worked with Kay too and she was such a breath of fresh air. Her letter to the editor laid it out for all to hear. her words are a good starting point for any discussion about improving Middletown civic engagement.

I can tell so many stories as a young Armco employee who tried to help and had to walk away in disgust. Kay's resignation letter - whose sentiment is very close to the quoted interview 409 so ably provided - really resonated with me at the time - and still does.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2013 at 2:03pm
Ms. Wright- "I am very frustrated by this city, and the difficulty in really making systemic changes in this city, and the inability for me personally, and for the foundation, to effect any change. We don't seem to be a player at the table, even though we are often invited to that table. ... We should be more of a catalyst in this community to bring money to the table. That role doesn't seem to be there for us."

and

"The irony is, in the eight years I've been here, I've watched the city of Hamilton - and I know those are fighting words - improve significantly. I've watched Monroe and Franklin improving everything. They are all communities that are on the rise, becoming more desirable communities. ... And at the same time, I've seen Middletown becoming less desirable"

and

"Hamilton has a group of people with an attitude that says "How can I work with the rest of these people to make this a better place for all of us?" I see that in Franklin, I see it in Hamilton, and I see it in Monroe. What I see in Middletown tends to be a sense of, "I'm here to protect my turf. And I'm here to make sure someone else's turf doesn't get any larger. What's important to me is maintaining what control and power I have." ... I think people are genuinely interested in change, but they're not really willing to give up their own power to the greater good".

RIGHT ON MS. WRIGHT. REFRESHING TO HEAR IT TOLD AS IT IS FROM SOMEONE EITHER ENTERING, CURRENTLY IN OR LEAVING THE LIMELIGHT. THANK YOU FOR HAVING THE COURAGE TO HAVE LIVED IT, LEFT IT AND TO HAVE COME OUT SWINGING WITH THE TRUTH. IT IS WHAT SOME OF US HAVE BEEN TRYING TO COMMUNICATE FOR YEARS. JUST WONDERING HOW MANY OTHERS WITHIN THE CORE INNER CIRCLE REALLY FEEL THE SAME WAY, BUT ARE TOO ENTRENCHED TO TELL THE TRUTH.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2013 at 2:57pm

My experience has been that there are still a handful of people with long histories in this town, between ages 60 and 80, who want you to volunteer and help out but don't want to grant you and real say or power. 

Is it any wonder we have an 87 year head of the Chamber?
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2013 at 4:28pm
WOW That's some "real" stuff spoken there. I wish we could tape that to every door at the city building and on every council person's desk.
squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2013 at 9:37am
to follow up on Kay's turf battles and Neil's chamber topic, I'll add an example that includes both.

I'm a graduate of the chamber's Leadership program. a few years ago, the chamber reached out to us and stroked our egos by inviting us to gather and discuss improvements to the program.

upon arrival, I noticed the consultant contracted by the chamber had a full contingent of representatives sprinkled among the alumni around the conference room.

for many of us who served on local non-profit boards, there was consensus on a few topics for the improving the program, such as:

-  provide time and resources for presenting non-profit management methods and tools. non-profits are a unique animal in the business world and there are important distinctions that need to be emphasized.

-  provide material & discussion then practice techniques for organizing a competent meeting. i.e., offer some instruction on Roberts Rules of Order.  raise your hand if you've suffered and incompetently held board meeting.

these ideas were completely dismissed by those hired to facilitate the meeting. it was as if we were there to rubber-stamp ideas they had arrived at long before the meeting was convened. I was fascinated to see them steer the discussion away from the consensus and back to their previously held positions.

Leadership Middletown should be providing an ever increasing pool of candidates for serving on our local boards. the appointment of the 1960s-era Armco executive, Dick Slagle (who is a wonderful guy)  is a testament to the chamber's failure to improve the program.

there's nothing more frustrating than offering participation then feeling manipulated in return.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2013 at 10:43am
Agree Squeemy. Years ago, was on a Committee with Bill Becker, Tony Marconi, Gilleland, the Director of Public Works Ginger Smith, Scott-Jones and others I did not know. I asked some questions that were apparently "uncomfortable" with most on the committee. They passed out info. about the Public Works Dept. and the personnel. I asked why a Director, a manager, a supervisor were over two operators and an admin. Kinda top heavy with supervision and salary. All at the table had incredulous looks on their face while I was talking. Marconi was laughing. I was given some bull---- answers and the committee moved on. Ya can't be on a committee in this town, ask questions that aren't in the scope of "appropriateness" and be welcomed. No room for hardline, direct, in your face questions that puts them on the spot. Phony people, playing childish games, producing poorly run programs, managed by ego strewn people.

It would be a pleasant thing to see where a committee was set up with people who had, as their only agenda, a desire to address the issues with no visable sign of politics, repercussions from things said, and void of one-upmanship. Won't happen in this town.....not with the current game of my shovel, my pail, my sandbox as the theme.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2013 at 2:06pm
No room for hardline, direct, in your face questions that puts them on the spot. Phony people, playing childish games, producing poorly run programs, managed by ego strewn people. VET, that says it all!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic