FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sam Ison

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sam Ison
    Posted: Apr 17 2013 at 11:09am
I Wonder,

I did not see the story to which Enough is Enough refers (but did not link to). The only stories I have seen in the Journal accurately reported his current salary of $111K and that his new salary after promotion to superintendent will be $126K. I negotiated and signed his contract (which was provided to the Journal) and can tell you that there is no annual increase built into the contract. There is a provision that after each year, the base salary can be negotiated. This same clause is in the current superintendent's contract, but he has not had an increase during the 3 years of his contract (in fact, he took the 1% reduction that all employees did).

The car allowance is to cover the cost of owning, maintaining and fueling a car.  The superintendent drives between the administrative offices and 1 or more of the 7 school buildings on almost a daily basis, sometimes multiple times a day, for meetings, classroom observations, assemblies, athletic events, concerts, etc etc. Plus, he is expected to attend community and charitable meetings and events that may also be on nights and weekends. In other words, the superintendent needs a car to do his job, not just to commute to his job.

Marcia Andrew
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2013 at 8:35pm
Sat in on today's meeting of Mr.Ison's Conduct/Discipline group, and reviewed the up-coming code of conduct and procedures. Also viewed the system-wide discipline stats. Seemed like a good group, all on the same page and headed in the right direction. I see him as the best choice available, and stepping in to the position without any prep.
If he can continue the turnaround of this system, then he is well worth the price.

jmo

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PnSC0tRmya4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PnSC0tRmya4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
I Wonder View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I Wonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2013 at 8:00pm
Ms. Andrew,
Can you explain why you did not ask The Journal to retract/clarify  Ison's new salary?  If it was not correct, I would think you would want it clarified immediately in the paper, not a week later on this forum.  Would you please tell us about the $12,000 plus adjustment per year that the paper said he would be receiving and you say he is not receiving?  Thank you.  Also, would you please explain exactly what a $500/month car allowance is spent  on?  Thank you.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2013 at 11:33am
Pacman,

I do not know the law as it applies to city, county or state government. All I know is that a school district can legally require its superintendent and treasurer to live within the school district, as part of an individually negotiated contract. Might not be true for other school employees.

Marcia Andrew
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2013 at 9:48pm
Ms Andrew,

I thought is was illegal in Ohio to require a city or governement employee to move to the city he or she is working in.  Is the school district exempt from this law?

PacmanCool
enough is enough View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enough is enough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2013 at 5:20pm
Ms. Andrew

Thank you for the clarification, once again the Middletown Journal got it wrong.
Enough is Enough
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2013 at 1:56pm
Enough is enough,

Sam Ison's current salary, as Director of Instructional Leadership, is $111,599. He took the same 1% pay reduction as the teachers and all other employees, including administrative staff.

His salary will increase to $126,000 next school year (July 2013 to June 2014) because he is being promoted to Superintendent, with substantially more responsibility.  It is a two-year contract and there is no built-in increase in salary the second year.  This is less than the current superintendent is making.

His contract includes a $500/month car allowance. This covers all travel within the district; he will not be paid a mileage reimbursment for such travel. This rate is less than the current superintendent receives for a car allowance.

The district has always (at least over the last 10 years) required that the superintendent live in the district. If an employer requires an employee to move for the job, then it is reasonable for the employer to reimburse the employee for the cost of moving.

Marcia Andrew
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enough is enough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2013 at 8:26pm
Pacman very good points. There is a mileage allowance so I am not sure why Ison is getting $500 a month instead of being reimbursed by the district?

I am sure that the teachers you provided this service for were very grateful. It is true that the school supply list has grown. The supplies on that list are being used by the students. The percentage of students who actually bring what is on the list is very low.

I have on numerous occasions volunteered for school activities even though I did not have a child in that school. It is disheartening to see these kids put there heart and soul into something and get no parental support at all. The district has student led conferences in some of the schools. Students get a chance to show their parents what they are doing in school. It is also a chance for parents to meet and talk to their child's teachers. The number of parents who show up for this activity is probably around 20%. But if you ask the district I am sure they will have a much higher number. Sad.
Enough is Enough
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2013 at 2:53pm
EOE,

Teachers have been taking money out their own pockets for school supplies since I was in the 2nd grade (49 yrs ago).  Now every year you get a list of school supplies from paper towels to hand cleaner to Kleenex ect, ect.  When I owned my business prior to becoming disabled I gave free copies to many teachers who came and stated they need X# of copies for their class room projects and didn't want to go through red tape necessary through the school system to get them.  I was happy to provide this service to the teachers. 

As long as Ison is doing school business I have no problem with his gas being paid for by MCSD.  If it is true that he just fills up at the bus depot maybe to satifiy Middletown Residents who have a problem with this, then the school board should require Mr Ison to pay for the gas out of pocket and keep a milage sheet for school business miles and then reimburse him monthly.  They would need set a per mile gas rate that would be paid to him.  For example .45 cents per mile is typical in most businesses that cover gas milage for their employees. 

LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2013 at 10:31pm
IMO they need to get rid of a few Assistance.Seem like everybody these days have Assistance and the Assistance have a Assistance.When in reality they should do there own job.LOL
Teacher's seem to always get the short end of the deal.Big smile
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enough is enough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2013 at 9:09pm
If MCSD was a for profit company then paying for gas would not be an issue. However when it is tax paper money going in the tank IMO it makes a difference. Then again if MCSD was a for profit company they would have been bankrupt and out of business a long time ago IMO.

It is funny that teachers are going out and buying their own copy paper because the district does not have enough money to supply paper, buying pencils and pens, notebook paper etc for students who can not seem to bring a pencil but you can bet all the students have their cell phone with them everyday. Teachers are digging into their own pockets for these items making less than half the salary of Ison but he can,t afford to put gas in his car at $130,000 a year just asking.
Enough is Enough
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2013 at 4:47pm
Why wouldn't the BOE pay for gas usage for the car for business purposes??  And as far as Ison moving to Middletown, He'd be smart not to BUY a house, but to simply rent one.
I Wonder View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I Wonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2013 at 2:12pm
In the Tuesday, April 9, issue of The Journal, Mrs. Andrew is quoted as saying "...it hasn't been determined what will happen to the position of Senior Director of Instructional Leadership...".  If this is true, I wonder why MCSD is advertising for a Senior Director of Instructional Leadership and Human Resources on their website. 

I wonder, if along with his $500 monthly car stipend, Ison will also get free gas from the bus garage?
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enough is enough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2013 at 9:50am
Ison is currently making $126,000 a year. His salary will increase to $138,000 next year and then to almost $150,000 the following year according to the Middletown Journal. All we have heard form the school board is cuts cuts and more cuts. How can they justify this salary?. Teachers have been on a pay freeze and also took pay cuts over the last couple of years. Nurses were outsourced as well as custodians and cafeteria workers and lets not forget busing. So where is the money coming from? It is a sad day when you have to bribe ( $5000 moving expense) people to move to Middletown. Ison should consider renting a small apartment. The track record for superintindents is not one with a long history. 
Enough is Enough
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic