FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fire Department Hot Topic At Council 4-16-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
admin View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fire Department Hot Topic At Council 4-16-13
    Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 9:26am
City Manager Judith Gilleland opened the latest City Council Work session, which dealt with the Fire Department by introducing the panel and summarizing their goal, which was to find “scenarios that would not reduce service, but would reduce costs” by stating that “consensus could not be reached on the most appropriate model to deliver services and achieve a substantial cost savings for the City.”  She immediately added that “while we are not necessarily here tonight to discuss additional revenue sources, we did include increasing revenue as an option to be considered.”  “One viable way of increasing revenues is to place another levy on the ballot” Gilleland added.

See the full update here on the April 16, 2013 Middletown City Council Meeting
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 10:15am

City considers fire cuts, tax levy

By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN — 

Middletown officials are reviewing fire department operations with an eye on saving money without negatively impacting service and possibly creating new revenue streams.

A committee consisting of fire administrators and personnel and city staff have been meeting since late last year about what can be done to reduce the Middletown Division of Fire’s annual budget without affecting response times. The group met with City Council for nearly two hours Tuesday to discuss different directions the fire department might head.

With 92 percent of the department’s $9.2 million budget dedicated to staff, layoffs would be an obvious way to reduce costs. But Fire Chief Steve Botts said doing so would impact the department’s level of service.

The department’s minimum staffing is down from 22 firefighters on duty per day in 2004 to 16 firefighters per day this year. Meanwhile, fire runs and response times have increased. Through March 31, the fire department had 2,538 runs with an average response time of 5 minutes and 13 seconds.

“Effectively we’ve gone from five fire apparatus daily to three,” Botts said. “So when we consider this option, we’ve gone here already a couple of times.”

Re-evaluating the contract with the firefighters union, which is set to expire at the end of 2014, and agreeing to “some type of concession” could also an option, the chief said.

“This would be accomplished by both parties sitting at the table and deciding, possibly over the next five years, how we could reduce our expenses,” Botts said.

The group and council members also discussed possible ways of increasing revenues including: hard billing for EMS squad calls, issuing fines and fees for violations and a tax levy.

“Consensus could not be reached on the most appropriate model to deliver services and achieve a substantial cost savings for the city,” said Middletown City Manager Judy Gilleland. “One viable way to increasing revenues is to place another levy on the ballot.”

Just more than 2,500 people cast a vote in August for the renewal 0.25 percent income tax levy to supplement the police and fire department budgets. Voters approved the levy 76.7 percent to 23.3 percent. The levy is slated to generate about $2.9 million a year.

But outside another levy, the other revenue increasing options — hard billing EMS calls and imposing fines and fees — are only projected to rise between $95,000 and $135,000.

About 8,500 calls for service were for EMS, Botts said. About 85 percent of the department’s calls go toward medical service. However, the $5.6 million being billed for those calls result in only about $1.6 million in being collected.

“We billed individual insurance, we bill Medicare and Medicaid, and we do not turn folks over to collections. But that’s what hard billing would be,” Botts said. “It’s something that’s not done in this area, but it’s something you want to consider.”

Botts said the city’s third party billing administrator believes moving from a soft to hard bill would only about $80,000 to $120,000 more would be collected.

The chief said imposing fines and fees for fire protection services could be another option. Botts said they do impose fines for open burning and fire lane violations, “though we don’t purse those aggressively.”

Other fees that could be imposed include fees for re-inspection and multiple false calls.

New revenues from imposing fees and fines would only bring in $15,000 annually.

IAFF Local 336 Vice President Chris Klug said his big issue with this the city is once again talking fire department funding less than a year after voters supported a renewal of the public safety levy, and voted to make it permanent.

Vice Mayor Dan Picard seemed to echo that sentiment.

“Our citizens, the people who we work for, told us they wanted us to spend more on police and fire, and it really strikes me as odd that we’re sitting here after that election, after that vote, and what we’re talking about is reducing money to the fire department,” Picard said.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 10:41am
YA KNOW, IF THE CITY FIRE OPERATION WAS THIS CLOSE TO THE EDGE OF THE FINANCIAL CLIFF, WHY DID THEY ASK FOR A RENEWAL AND NOT ASK FOR THE MONEY REQUIRED TO RUN THE DAM DEPARTMENT? AGAIN, POOR PLANNING, LACK OF KNOWING THE COSTS OF THE OPERATION AND THE FAILURE TO ASK FOR ENOUGH MONEY TO COVER THAT COST. IT IS NOT THE TAXPAYER'S FAULT THAT THE CITY LEADERS CAN'T UNDERSTAND HOW TO PROPERLY PREPARE AN OPERATION AND FUND IT CORRECTLY. THE DAM BAILOUTS ARE OVER CITY LEADERS.

ONCE AGAIN, BECAUSE THE CITY HAS FAILED TO GENERATE AN ADEQUATE REVENUE STREAM TO COVER THE ENTIRE CITY OPERATION, WE, THE PEOPLE, ARE BEING CONSIDERED THE FINANCIAL FIXATIVE AND ARE BEING LEAD TO THE POLLS TO GIVE UP MORE OF OUR MONEY. THESE PEOPLE ARE INEPT, DON'T HAVE A CLUE HOW TO MANAGE A BUDGET, DON'T HAVE THEIR ARMS AROUND THE COSTS OF THE CITY AND ARE TOTALLY REACTIVE TO A CRISIS RATHER THAN TO BE PROACTIVE AND PREPARED. FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD, GET SOME PEOPLE TO RUN THIS CITY WHO HAVE A CLUE WHAT THEY ARE DOING. TELL ME PEOPLE, WOULD YOU RUN YOUR HOUSEHOLD BUDGET IN THIS MANNER? IT'S A SIMPLE CONCEPT......MONEY IN CAN NEVER BE LESS THAN MONEY OUT. MERCY!
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 10:50am
I don't know what was on Gilleland's resame but I don't think she ever accually ran a city gov't. She was ass't to several city dept. correct me if i'm wrong. IMO
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 10:54am
Be a cold day in Hell before I vote for A levy.Until are "SPINELESS ONES" and Queen Judy are gone my vote will be "NO".
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 12:25pm
LMAO   AMEN
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 1:11pm

But outside another levy, the other revenue increasing options — hard billing EMS calls and imposing fines and fees — are only projected to rise between $95,000 and $135,000.

About 8,500 calls for service were for EMS, Botts said. About 85 percent of the department’s calls go toward medical service. However, the $5.6 million being billed for those calls result in only about $1.6 million in being collected.

“We billed individual insurance, we bill Medicare and Medicaid, and we do not turn folks over to collections. But that’s what hard billing would be,” Botts said. “It’s something that’s not done in this area, but it’s something you want to consider.”

Botts said the city’s third party billing administrator believes moving from a soft to hard bill would only about $80,000 to $120,000 more would be collected.

I believe this was discussed at the state level several years ago and it was found illegal for the fire department to charge again for a service that had already been paid for by a tax levy…

Yet another act of desperation for more dollars for the coffers of City Hall.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 5:47pm
I see from the MIDDLETOWNUSA.COM story that Joe Mulligan will be appointed the council's liaison to Downtown Middletown Inc.  Joe is already a member of the board of directors of Downtown Middletown Inc.  

As a member of the board of directors of Downtown Middletown Inc., shouldn't he have to abstain from voting on ANY issue relating to downtown that comes before council???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 5:55pm
Kudos to Councilman Laubach for his stance against increasing taxes on the citizens of Middletown!!!
The MIDDLETOWNUSA.COM article reported this.  The Middletown Journal story did not!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Kudos to Councilman Laubach for his stance against increasing taxes on the citizens of Middletown!!!
The MIDDLETOWNUSA.COM article reported this.  The Middletown Journal story did not!!!

Just hope that Councilman Laubach sticks to his guns.
Mike I believe your right but the Mulligan Boys do as they please.After they get there Purty lites installed they will build there own Firehouse.LOLLOL
Until 85% of this dead town people open there eyes are fearless "SPINELESS ONES" will drain the taxpayers dry.No sweat off there nuts.Wink
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 8:45pm
The Citizens of Middletown Have No One to Blame But Themselves For The Fire Dept Fiasco.  They Once Again Voted In A PERMANENT LEVY To Fund Public Safety.  This Was A Major Mistake On The Citizens Of Middletown As They Lost Any Leverage They Had. 

The Fire Department Received A Grant About A Year Ago And The City Council Went On A Hiring Spree, Hiring I Believe About 6 FireFighters. At That Time I Asked On This Board, Who Would Pay The Salaries Of These 6 Once The Grant Money Ran Out?  I Received No Answer On This Board, However I Believe Ms Scott-Jones Asked The Same Question During A Council Meeting.  She Wanted To Know If The Same Grant Could Be Applied For When The Current Grant Ran Out?  I Believe It Was Fire Chief Botts That Answered Yes To Her Question.

I Take It The Grant Is Either Not Available Or Middletown Was Not Awarded This Money A Second Time.  As Far As Charging Fees For Service, Last Year Middletown Charged My Insurance Between $3000-$4000 For EMS Services To The Hospital.  The Only Bill I Ever Saw Was For $800.00 That Didn't Get Billed To The Insurance.  This Is For A 5 Mile Trip. If The City Starts Charging Fines And Turning Over To Collections,You Will Find Citizens Are Less Likely To Call 911 As They Will Be More Concerned About The $800.00 Bill They Will Receive And How To Pay And Some Will Die.

As Far As Another Levy,  This Should Be An Absolute NO VOTE By The Citizens.

The City Should Investigate Indepth Ketterings Fire Dept Program Which Incorporated Paid and Volunteer FireFighters.  It Is Ludicrious That City Council And City Leaders Continue To Stumble This Same Issue Year After Year.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2013 at 11:00am
Like Pac, our family uses the medic quite often for my wife'e medical issues. Each time they transport her to the hospital, the city charges $732 plus mileage of, I believe, 46 cents a mile to Atrium. I receive an EOB from Anthem and Medicare explaining the charges. The city signed a contract with Anthem agreeing to transport a patient at a cost of $350+ bucks each time. If we didn't have insurance, it would be the $732 charge out of our pocket. The city eats the difference each time between the 732 and the 350+ they actually receive. I pay a small co-pay each time.

On a personal note......we use and receive very good response and treatment from the fire dept. personnel. They are a fine group and have been very helpful when we have needed them. My disgust isn't with the actual fire dept people. It is the inability of the city leaders to enact a program to satisfy the requirements of funding the police and fire operations in this town without asking the financial water faucet known as the people's wallet to do it EVERY TIME. The first and ONLY thing that pops into their mind when additional money is needed is to tax the crap out of the already overtaxed people. They have had more than adequate time to find additional revenue sources other than automatically asking the people to fund every dam thing in this town. It is too easy for them to thrown another levy on the books rather than make a real effort to get additional corporate and payroll taxes to draw from. That would take some intelligence, logic and some effort......something they have no clue about.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

The Citizens of Middletown Have No One to Blame But Themselves For The Fire Dept Fiasco.  They Once Again Voted In A PERMANENT LEVY To Fund Public Safety.  This Was A Major Mistake On The Citizens Of Middletown As They Lost Any Leverage They Had. 

The Fire Department Received A Grant About A Year Ago And The City Council Went On A Hiring Spree, Hiring I Believe About 6 FireFighters. At That Time I Asked On This Board, Who Would Pay The Salaries Of These 6 Once The Grant Money Ran Out?  I Received No Answer On This Board, However I Believe Ms Scott-Jones Asked The Same Question During A Council Meeting.  She Wanted To Know If The Same Grant Could Be Applied For When The Current Grant Ran Out?  I Believe It Was Fire Chief Botts That Answered Yes To Her Question.

I Take It The Grant Is Either Not Available Or Middletown Was Not Awarded This Money A Second Time.  As Far As Charging Fees For Service, Last Year Middletown Charged My Insurance Between $3000-$4000 For EMS Services To The Hospital.  The Only Bill I Ever Saw Was For $800.00 That Didn't Get Billed To The Insurance.  This Is For A 5 Mile Trip. If The City Starts Charging Fines And Turning Over To Collections,You Will Find Citizens Are Less Likely To Call 911 As They Will Be More Concerned About The $800.00 Bill They Will Receive And How To Pay And Some Will Die.

As Far As Another Levy,  This Should Be An Absolute NO VOTE By The Citizens.

The City Should Investigate Indepth Ketterings Fire Dept Program Which Incorporated Paid and Volunteer FireFighters.  It Is Ludicrious That City Council And City Leaders Continue To Stumble This Same Issue Year After Year.

Once again "Kreskin the Great" aka "Pacman the visually impaired" Strikes again... 
As usual, I was right on the money, in the section highlighted above.  As Usual, the City Council was asleep at the wheel.  My excellent "Foresight" is available to the city at a reasonable rate and one of those heafty pensions they have.LOL

PacmanCool

From today's Middletown Journal 8/2/13

Cuts in the years to come

Once the city’s police and fire departments have two major grants expire in 2014 and 2015, more than $1.24 million will need to be cut from the city’s budgets, according to a discussion in the City Council finance subcommittee meeting on Thursday.

About $995,000 is projected to be cut for the 2014 budget, according to city documents.

Personnel cuts could happen after these grants expire because personnel cannot be cut during the life of the grants. City Manager Judy Gilleland said city staff will be preparing budget scenarios over the coming weeks.

The bulk of those cuts will come from the police and fire departments, and just under $300,000 is planned to be cut from non-public safety budgets.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 12:20am
"Personnel cuts could happen after these grants expire because personnel cannot be cut during the life of the grants. City Manager Judy Gilleland said city staff will be preparing budget scenarios over the coming weeks.
The bulk of those cuts will come from the police and fire departments, and just under $300,000 is planned to be cut from non-public safety budgets."

WELL, LET'S SEE.....AGING COMMUNITY THAT WILL REQUIRE EVER-INCREASING MEDIC RUNS TO SATISFY THE REQUIREMENT......WE'VE ALL BEEN READING THE POLICE BRIEFS IN THE JOURNAL ON A DAILY BASIS. KINDA LOOKS LIKE THE CRIME IS RAMPING UP TOO IN THIS TOWN. LET'S BRING IN SOME MORE OF THAT LOW INCOME CITIZENRY AND THE ELEMENTS SOME OF THEM ATTRACT FROM OUT OF TOWN TO HELP THE POLICE RESPONSE FREQUENCY, SHALL WE? AND SHE WANTS TO CUT THE PERSONNEL? OUR BELOVED CITY LEADERS KEEP TELLING US THAT WE ARE HURTING FOR MONEY, BUT I DON'T SEE WHERE THEY ARE BUSTING THEIR HUMP TO TRY TO DEVELOP MORE....OTHER THAN FED AND STATE HANDOUT MONEY, THAT IS.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 8:08am
Vet,

can you hear the words "PUBLIC SAFETY TAX LEVY" coming again??  I'm doing my best, I had my 4th Heart Attack on Monday, but I used private transportation to get to the hospital.

PacmanCool
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 10:48am
Pacman: Hope you are feeling better,hang in there.
Miss Kitty View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 11:58am
Glad you are doing fine Pacman but it's not wise to use your own transportation when Middletown has the finest paramedics and fire fighters around. We don't need levy's and bond's. We need jobs and better leadership in this community. Look at your property tax bill and see how much already goes to the schools.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 5:53pm
Miss Kitty,

I had no idea I was having a heart attack until after I arrived at the hospital.  As a matter of fact, all four heart attacks I've had, My Wife drove me to the hospital because I didn't know they were heart attacks.  My symptoms didn't fit with that of a heart attack.

Anyone got a good, but used St Jude "The Patron St Of Lost Causes" Medal?? hehehe

Thank you ALL for your concern.

PacmanCool
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 6:45am
Journal story- October 3rd.....

MIDDLETOWN

Fire positions may be axed in Middletown budget

City Council members are reviewing every line item in the 2014 budget, and some say it’s time to make “bare bone decisions” that may result in lower staffing levels of the city’s fire department.

On Tuesday, Middletown’s vice mayor expressed concern about the city’s budget and how it may negatively impact staffing of the fire department.

Dan Picard said if the city wants to balance its 2014 budget, which means cutting about $1.4 million, there is a potential that up to 15 firefighter positions will be eliminated, including the six who were hired two years ago when the city received a Safer Grant that ends in September 2014.

Picard called cutting that many firefighters — 21 percent of the 73 on staff — “not acceptable.”

Picard said during his four years on City Council, the fire department has been “under attack” and he doesn’t understand the reasoning.

Still, Picard said, the city must find ways to reduce its budget because revenue has remained flat recently. The city budgeted about $29 million in revenue this year, but will be about $600,000 short, he said. The city is projecting about $28 million in its early 2014 budget, he said.

Picard and other council members are hopeful that residents will give them guidance on their priorities.

“We have to get rid of something,” he said.

Councilman Josh Laubach said he wants to see no layoffs in the city’s police and fire departments.

Mayor Larry Mulligan said as the city’s revenue remain the same the city is financially “treading water.”

It’s time to make some “bare bone decisions,” he said, and unlike the federal government, the city can’t shut down.

“We must move forward,” he said. Then he added: “We do have our challenges.”

Council will review the proposed 2014 budget at its meetings on Nov. 5 and Nov. 19, said City Manager Judy Gilleland. She said it’s “unfortunate” that revenues didn’t “bounce back” as quickly as anticipated.

The size of the city’s fire and police departments has dropped recently. In 2007, the city employed 85 fire personnel. Today, there are 73, including two in administration, 69 fire fighters and two who work in training.

During that same time, the police department has dropped from 116 employees to 106. The number of police officers has dropped from 62 in 2011 to 54 this year, according to the city budget.

Chris Klug, vice president of the Local 336, the firefighters’ union, said when Middletown residents passed a public safety levy, they were told the city would “maintain” staffing levels. Now, he said, it appears they’re “going back on their word.”

Klug said if firefighter positions are eliminated, it may cause residents’ and business insurance rates to increase and make it more dangerous for residents and firefighters. He said there were two calls for a house fire recently in the city, and mutual aid was called from Monroe. He said by the time the call was dispatched until Monroe arrived on scene, 20 minutes had passed.

The police department may not lose any positions until early 2016, when a safety grant that allowed the hiring of four officers expires, Gilleland said. Eventually, she said, positions may be cut in the police department too. The size of the department is being reduced through nutrition, said Cris Kelly, union president.

Additional cuts, he said, will impact the “level of services” in the city.

“We are adding to the risk with fewer people,” Kelly said. “We are at bare bones.”

FIRST THOUGHT THAT COMES TO THE CITY LEADERS IS TO CUT FIRE OR POLICE WHEN DISCUSSING THE BUDGET.

FUNNY.....THEY PUSHED THEIR DAM SAFETY LEVY AND GOT IT APPROVED. THEY USED SOME GRANT, ONLY LASTING A FEW YEARS UNTIL 2014 TO HIRE MORE FIRE PERSONNEL KNOWING THE FUNDING WOULDN'T LAST. THEY SOLD THE COMMUNITY ON HOW IMPORTANT IT WAS TO HAVE THE SAFETY PEOPLE STAFFED TO GET THEIR LEVY PASSED.....AND NOW, THE FIRST THING OUT OF THE CHUTE- "WE NEED TO CUT THE SAFETY PEOPLE TO BEGIN THE BUDGET PROCESS". THE VERY THING THAT WAS ONCE SO DAM IMPORTANT-GOTTA HAVE IT, IS NOW EXPENDABLE WHEN IT COMES TO MONEY SAVINGS. THESE PEOPLE COULDN'T RUN A BINGO HALL, MUCH LESS A CITY.

HAVEN'T HEARD ONE DAM THING ABOUT CUTTING THE SALARIES OF THE DIRECTORS, THE CITY MANAGER, AND AN ACROSS THE BOARD CUT FOR ALL CITY EMPLOYEES AS YET. HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING ON SHIFTING MONEY AROUND IN OTHER ACCOUNTS TO ACCOMODATE PRIORITIES LIKE POLICE AND FIRE...THE BASICS. YOUR FINANCE DIRECTOR IS GOOD AT THAT. HOW ABOUT FIRING A HALF DOZEN DIRECTORS, MANAGERS AND SUPERVISORS DRAWING NICE SALARIES AND DOUBLING UP ON JOB DUTIES FOR THOSE THAT REMAIN? THAT SHOULD SAVE YOU SOME BUCKS TOWARD A BALANCED BUDGET. START REQUIRING EMPLOYEES TO PAY MORE FOR THEIR BENNIES. HAPPENING MORE AND MORE IN THE PRIVATE WORLD OUT HERE. DIDN'T PLAN FOR THE LEGACY COSTS EITHER DID YOU?

MULLIGAN STATES THAT THE REVENUES ARE FLAT AND THE CITY IS "TREADING WATER". THEN WHY ARE YOU SPENDING MONEY DOWNTOWN LIKE A DRUNKEN SAILOR MULLIGAN? THE REVENUE IS FLAT BECAUSE YOU RELIED TOO MUCH ON GOVERNMENT HANDOUTS AND NOT ENOUGH ON TAX REVENUE GENERATION THROUGH PAYROLL AND CORPORATE TAXES. THE PRICE YOU PAY WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE AS PRIORITY ONE- JOBS. AND WHY IS IT THAT WHEN YOU ARE SPENDING MONEY ON YOUR PET PROJECTS, YOU ARE NOT CONCERNED ABOUT "TREADING WATER", BUT AS SOON AS AN ISSUE ARISES THAT DOESN'T FIT YOUR LITTLE "PROGRAMS FOR FRIENDS" CATEGORY, YOU BECOME WORRIED ABOUT THE CITY REVENUE?

CHRIS KLUG SAYS YOU WERE TO MAINTAIN THE FIRE DEPT. LEVELS ON STAFFING. NOW "YOU ARE GOING BACK ON YOUR WORD". MR. KLUG, IF THE CITY LEADERS HAVE ONE CONSTANT, IT IS "GOING BACK ON THEIR WORD". THEY HAVE DONE THIS FOR DECADES. NOT TO BE TRUSTED BY ANYONE WHO IS AWARE OF THEIR RECORD ON PROMISES MADE/PROMISES BROKEN

"The size of the department is being reduced through nutrition, said Cris Kelly, union president"

GUESS THEY'RE BEING STARVED TO DEATH. (SORRY CRIS)

HOW ABOUT ATTRITION?

Klug said if firefighter positions are eliminated, it may cause residents’ and business insurance rates to increase and make it more dangerous for residents and firefighters.

HOW ABOUT LAWSUITS AGAINST THE CITY IF SOMEONE DIES DUE TO A PROLONGED RESPONSE?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 8:22am
Some where in there is a law suit for "mismanagement", failure of "fiduciary responsibility". Where is the attorney general when a "crime" is being perpetrated against citizens of a city? IMO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic