FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Energy Audit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Energy Audit
    Posted: May 09 2013 at 5:41am
Posted: 8:20 p.m. Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Energy audit reveals millions in potential savings

By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

Middletown could save more than $204,000 a year by making energy-efficient upgrades and repairs to nine city-owned buildings, according to the city’s first energy audit in 17 years.

The city spends more than $1.32 million annually in energy and maintenance costs and $91,000 in operational costs at its facilities, which include the City Building, municipal garage, wastewater and treatment plants and the Robert “Sonny” Hill Community Center.
I thought we just did the upgrades at the Community Center....

The Perfection Group, a Cincinnati-based consultant on energy efficiency, evaluated nine city-owned buildings from Feb. 11 to March 15 and found that with certain upgrades and preventive maintenance, Middletown could save hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Rob Vollrath, a representative of the company, said by addressing the needs immediately the city could save more than $1.7 million by avoiding inflation and future capital costs.

City officials could take advantage of a 2008 state law (House Bill 420) that allows governments to money “relatively cheap” and repay it “without affecting the borrowing capacity.”
Yes sir we can just put a few more million on the old City Hall credit card.
If money is now soooo cheap is City Hall going to put the 150 to 200 million needed for the separation of the sewers on this same credit card?

According to the Perfection Group, the city could potentially save upwards of $35 million over 15 years, if the city borrowed $21.9 million to make potential upgrades and repairs. Under that scenario, the city potentially could save nearly $13.6 million over the life of that loan, according to the group.

Public Utilities Director Preston Combs said city leaders could use the “guaranteed” energy savings to pay back the loan. But some Middletown City Council members said they aren’t sure borrowing that kind of money is a good idea.

Councilman Josh Laubach said the city would essentially be financing upgrades with money it doesn’t have. He said he would like to see more specifics on such a proposal.

“If it’s worth the risk, is it worth going into debt?” Laubach said.

Councilwoman Anita Scott Jones said it seems like the city is “not going to realize a substantial amount of money for some time” based on the Perfection Group’s presentation. She said she is not willing to go into debt without more information, or the city pursing alternative funding options.

“I wager there may be some other grants out there, some other money out there, some other funding out there,” Scott Jones said. “We have to be prudent, and we have to think things through.”
Hmmm...I remember City Hall did get an ENERGY GRANT and every council person voted yes for the money to be used for the "Bike Path" to add to the "Downtown Dream"....and now you want to borrow money for energy upgrades.

Combs said the city could have saved thousands of dollars of costs at the wastewater treatment plant through preventative maintenance.

“We’re quite a bit behind in electrical upgrades, and we have identified about $10 million in electrical upgrades,” he said. “Had we been doing some of those upgrades years ago when we should have, we would not of had to come to you (City Council) with those emergency repairs of several hundred thousand dollars. We probably could have done that replacement for a third of that cost.”

But saving money for future replacement needs or potential repairs is a luxury many governments can’t afford, Vollrath said.

“Most municipal governments have a lot of capital projects that need to be addressed, but on that same token, there’s not a lot of capital available to address these issues,” Vollrath said. “So the legislation allows you to utilize the savings to pay for the debt.”

Vice Mayor Dan Picard said there is benefit with a preventative maintenance approach to city government.

“If we don’t do any of that, then we’re stuck with operating the way we always have — where we only replace things when they finally break down, or we finally have a problem, and we scurry around, and we try to figure out where we’re going to try to get the money to take care of this new problem,” he said.
We operate the way we always have because City Hall can not keep their hands out of the funds that have been set aside to solve the future problems of the our city.

Energy audit savings

The Perfection Group presented its findings after evaluating at nine municipal buildings the city’s utility costs, maintenance and repair costs, and capital projects needed to help reduce future costs. Here’s what they found:

Annual electric and gas costs: $1.23 million; potential savings: $163,377

Annual operational costs: $91,253; potential savings: $41,169

Needed capital improvements: $17 million; potential capital cost avoidance savings: $1.7 million

Source: Perfection Group report

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 5:56am
“I wager there may be some other grants out there, some other money out there, some other funding out there,” Scott Jones said. “We have to be prudent, and we have to think things through.”
Hmmm...I remember City Hall did get an ENERGY GRANT and every council person voted yes for the money to be used for the "Bike Path" to add to the "Downtown Dream"....and now you want to borrow money for energy upgrades

BINGO VIVIAN! WE DISCUSSED THIS BEFORE HERE SOME TIME AGO. THEY USED THE MONEY FOR OTHER THAN IT'S INTENDED PURPOSE........AGAIN. IMAGINE THAT.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 9:12am
Vet you are correct. I believe it was the prior council meeting that the Fire Dept came before city council and talked about all the updates that were needed at the Fire Houses. Two weeks later the entire City Council approved using the Energy Grant money for the bike path. Again we got no bang from these goverment bucks.
We were just told yet again that the city revenues are down and now the city wants to borrow more money.
What brand of happy water are these people drinking down at City Hall?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 11:06am
Never have understood the connection between using Energy fund money for a bike path. No connection whatsoever, yet, no one questioned it and apparently, the issuer of the Energy grant money has no follow-up program to verify the money was directed toward an energy end use. Nice system....must be government sponsored and executed, hence the ineptness. While on the subject of the bike path, notice how the path has gone "out of sight/out of mind" with the last storyline reported was the cave-in and the cost to fix the portion of the path that was destroyed. Also discussion concerning finishing a portion of the path at one time. Don't get down by the river these days. Anyone go there on a regular basis? If so, in your opinion, is the bike path used by a large contingent of people on a daily basis or was it a waste of money?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 12:37pm
Wonder what's going to happen when all that FED money drys up?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 6:02pm
Over the Hill
City Hall is like a child that needs to learn the difference between "WANTS" and "NEEDS".
Libertarian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libertarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 9:54am
Vivian, you are correct in your assessment of our local government. Not only is Middletown an "Entitlement Community" by federal government definition, it is also an "Entitled" government in the minds of some local bureaucrats.  GOD help us all.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 7:26pm
Welcome Libertarian
Amen to that statement.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 12:32am
middletown is like a scale model of America .tapped out and declining fast and the leaders are on some strange kool aid that zaps their ability to think rationaly 

chrie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 11:44am
when given a grant arent there repercussions if it is not used for what it was intended???? does this mean someone can say sign up for collage and decide not to go and keep the money for whatever and not come to any leagal repercussions ? or are there those that are above the law mWacko
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 6:09am
Originally posted by chrie chrie wrote:

when given a grant arent there repercussions if it is not used for what it was intended???? does this mean someone can say sign up for collage and decide not to go and keep the money for whatever and not come to any leagal repercussions ? or are there those that are above the law mWacko

GOOD QUESTIONS CHRIE. BEEN ASKED SEVERAL TIMES OVER THE COURSE OF TIME ON THIS SITE. BEEN MANY INSTANCES WHERE THE CITY DECIDERS HAVE RECEIVED MONIES FROM DIFFERENT SOURCES, INTENDED FOR A SPECIFIC PURPOSE, AND THE MONEY WAS LOST IN THE SHUFFLE OF VOODOO FINANCES, TRANSFERRED HERE AND THERE (USUALLY IN AND OUT OF THE GENERAL FUND) AND ENDED UP BEING IMPOSSIBLE TO TRACK. AS AN EXAMPLE, IN THE PAST, THERE IS EVIDENCE THAT THE GAS TAX MONEY, EARMARKED SPECIFICALLY FOR STREET REPAIR, HAS BEEN DIVERTED TO OTHER FUNDS THAT HAD A GREATER NEED. NICK KIDD CAN TELL YOU ALL ABOUT THAT. WE DON'T KNOW WHERE THE MONEY FOR THE STREET FUNDS WENT BACK IN THE 80'S WHEN THE CITY ASKED THE VOTERS TO USE THAT MONEY FOR OTHER ISSUES AND NEVER BUDGETED THE MONEY TO REPLACE WHAT WAS TAKEN. AND, WE ARE DISCUSSING THE USE OF THE ENERGY FUND MONIES ON THE BIKE PATH, WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ENERGY. THEY HAVE BEEN COLLECTING MONIES FOR A LONG TIME TO REPAIR THE AGING SEWER LINES DOWNTOWN, BUT NO WORK HAS BEEN DONE TO THAT END. WHERE DID THE MONEY GO ALL THESE YEARS, IF WE HAVEN'T SEEN ANY WORK DONE AS INTENDED? VIVIAN AND MIKE P. CAN FILL YOU IN ON SPECIFICS ON THEIR MYSTERY FINANCING PROGRAMS. THEY HAVE RESEARCHED THE TOPIC THOROUGHLY. THEY CLAIM THE AUDITS DONE ON THE CITY MONEY TRANSACTIONS ARE ABOVE BOARD. EVIDENCE HERE SAYS OTHERWISE. WE NEED THE STATE TO COME IN AND LOOK AT THE BOOKS FOR THE LAST TWO/THREE DECADES. BET THEY FIND SOMETHING WRONG. HARD TO BELIEVE ALL THE SHUFFLING OF MONIES FROM ONE FUND TO ANOTHER, HASN'T PRODUCED SOME DEGREE OF ILLEGAL ACTIVITY. JMO
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 2:24pm
VET I agree completely. Way can't we get someone to listen to us and begin a through investigation. How about one of the TV stations with their investigative reporters. Just a thought....
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 6:06am
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

VET I agree completely. Way can't we get someone to listen to us and begin a through investigation. How about one of the TV stations with their investigative reporters. Just a thought....

I have sent Curtis Fuller- Channel 5 News an E-Mail and have talked to him about reviewing the contents of this forum. No response. Must be too much information for him to tackle coupled with getting a response from the city as to the allegations on this site. (or, people from Cincy just flat out aren't interested in what happens in Middletown) Would be a good project for some reporter. There are enough topics to create an on-going segment on the news for weeks here. Have also talked to Karen Johnson (also Channel 5?) in the past concerning the schools and their levies. She only got one chance because when the segment aired, she gave the pro-levy folks the majority of the time. Kinda skewed/one sided reporting from her. She called a second time for an interview and I said no. She asked why and I told her I didn't appreciate her pro-levy, biased reporting. Equal time was not given.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:17am
well, VET, i guess someone could call chanel 9 or 12 or 7 Let's get someone to listen
Libertarian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libertarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:43am
Terry, thanks for your recent efforts to encourage the broadcast media to investigate the financial chicanery that routinely happens at One Donham Plaza.

Pacman, Steve, Mike, etc., why not join forces with Terry in soliciting interest from Cincy and Dayton television stations?
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:59am
You won't get an investigation from any of the media or local, county or state agencies. The only hope is a federal Prosecutors investigation.
         Paul Nagy
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 5:09pm
Well, Paul where do we start
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 6:23pm
Vet,

Why not start a movement to repeal the 1980's law that moved the street funds to the general fund.  Citizens have the right to repeal the law and also to institute a law which would replace the street fund money back into it's original fund for street repairs.  If this action is taken and progress is made, I am sure you will be able to attract some TV reporters who will be eager to stick their noses into it.  To continually talk about it on this forum day after day is of lil' use.  actions speak louder than words. 

PacmanCool
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 6:10am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Vet,

Why not start a movement to repeal the 1980's law that moved the street funds to the general fund.  Citizens have the right to repeal the law and also to institute a law which would replace the street fund money back into it's original fund for street repairs.  If this action is taken and progress is made, I am sure you will be able to attract some TV reporters who will be eager to stick their noses into it.  To continually talk about it on this forum day after day is of lil' use.  actions speak louder than words. 

PacmanCool

TRUE PAC, ACTIONS DO SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS. WORKING A FULL TIME JOB OUT OF TOWN, TAKING CARE OF A WIFE WHO IS TOTALLY DEPENDENT ON MY SON AND I AND TAKING CARE OF THE CHORES AROUND THE HOUSE AND TRYING TO SLEEP A LITTLE, WHEN WOULD I FIND THE TIME TO START THAT MOVEMENT TO GET THE 80'S LAW REPEALED? THERE ARE TWO OBSTACLES IN THE WAY OF MOST PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CHANGE THINGS.......LACK OF MONEY AND LACK OF TIME.

YOU MENTION......

" To continually talk about it on this forum day after day is of lil' use. actions speak louder than words".

I AM NOT DOING ANYTHING THAT IS ANY DIFFERENT THAN ANY PARTICIPANT ON THIS FORUM. WE ALL ARE "JUST TALKING ABOUT THINGS" AND HAVE BEEN FOR YEARS. LITTLE TO NO ACTION HAS EVER BEEN TAKEN BY ANY OF US DOING THE TALKING. THAT'S A FACT. THE CITY LEADERS AND THE POLITICIAN TROUBLEMAKERS KNOW THIS AND COUNT ON IT TO CONTINUE FROM THE PEOPLE. AS LONG AS THE PEOPLE DO NOTHING ABOUT WHICH THEY ARE ANGRY, THE LESS THE POLITICIANS ACKNOWLEDGE OUR PRESENCE.......EXCEPT AT VOTING TIME THAT IS.

THE DAYTON AND CINCINNATI REPORTERS?.......THEY HAVE NEVER CARED ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS IN MIDDLETOWN. IT'S JUST SOME HICK TOWN NORTH (OR SOUTH) OF THEIR BIG CITY IN THEIR EYES.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 1:22pm

Pacman - Why not start a movement to repeal the 1980's law that moved the street funds to the general fund.  Citizens have the right to repeal the law and also to institute a law which would replace the street fund money back into it's original fund for street repairs.  If this action is taken and progress is made, I am sure you will be able to attract some TV reporters who will be eager to stick their noses into it.  To continually talk about it on this forum day after day is of lil' use.  actions speak louder than words. 

Pacman
As I have stated before this is an easy problem to solve. This would just require a petition with several thousand signatures requesting that this tax money be set aside in a Restricted Fund for street repairs be submitted to council.  In fact now would be a perfect time to take action on this project since we have a November election of council members.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 1:47pm
Where can we set up a place to sign this petition? I for would sign it.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 5:41pm

Over the Hill
You would need an attorney to type up the petition and then get about 20 volunteers to get signatures of registered voters in different areas of the city and then submit it at a council meeting.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic