Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Wednesday, April 24, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

South Main Street Church

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2013 at 11:57am

Vet
New housing can be built in a historic district. They are known as “INFILL PROPERTIES”.  A small ranch house could not be built or approved but a big nice two story with a rear garage should have no problems being built on this lot.
We need to start getting some bang for our tax dollars.
We are going broke….

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2013 at 1:07pm
Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive......
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2013 at 1:08pm
Vivian,
I totally agree that they need to try and sell the property as soon as possible.  It's going to be a challenge though.  Who would want to build a nice two story house that would fit in with the historical district guidelines in that location for the amount that it's going to cost to build?  My guess is that they will sell for the first offer regardless of the price and feel lucky that they got an offer...which they will be.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2013 at 9:14pm
One the movie theater comment, it appears from the MJ that it is likely to happen.  Wonderful.  I'm sure Atrium is so glad the area they moved to continues to be a ghost town and their new neighbor will not be part of a greater "medical campus" but rather ....a movie theater.  I wonder if they are regretting not moving to Monroe when they had the chance!
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2013 at 11:18pm
could be the spark that ignites other major development projects in Middletown’s East End, city officials said. It really is our chance to get a full-service theaterLOL,” Hamet said..
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2013 at 4:45am
I thought that "The Sorg" was going to be our full-service entertainment palace.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2013 at 6:21am
With the movie options available nowadays like streaming, pay per view and the rentals at Krogers, haven't movie theater numbers been reduced in recent years due to availability and the comfort of home viewing? If so, why do the city leaders want to mis-focus (again) on placing a theater out by the hospital? Would it be well attended? Is the current movie theater, less than two miles from this location, well attended? If not, why waste the time? Thought the plan all along was to place medical facilities there to support the hospital. Why do the city leaders keep making mistakes on the topic of how to develop this city?

If this movie theater is such a good idea, why not place it downtown to attract more people down there?........or do they really believe that their precious downtown is not as desirable as they lead us to believe that it is?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2013 at 6:30am
OH, THE POWER OF THE ROSE-COLORED GLASSESWink they must have a defective pairs of those  ROSE-COLORED GLASSES from china if their seeing sparkin thru -em LOL
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2013 at 7:17am
Vet, I'm sure the purchasers only want to build the theater at the east end location not downtown. 
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2013 at 8:33am
I'm confused over this movie theater situation.  So the city is happy about a new movie theater being built that will be competing directly with another first run movie theater about a mile from the new one?  One will obviously lose and go out of business.

Very risky move by this Texas company.  It's not like a competing restaurant, there are only so many people that can support so many movie screens.

I won't be surprised if this is just a ruse to get people talking about activity.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2013 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

Vet, I'm sure the purchasers only want to build the theater at the east end location not downtown. 

Agree Bill that that would be the logical location to build based on traffic count and visability, BUT...... we all know the city leaders and their insistent theme of "downtown gets the most attention". I am surprised that they aren't insisting that the new cinema be place downtown as a catalyst for drawing more people downtown, plus, it would reduce the negative impact of two cinemas so close together and competing with each other to the point where one may put the other out of business. Seven miles away is certainly a better option than an mile for competing businesses, right?

Of course, as you mention, the developers are probably as insistent in placing their new project out by the freeway. Can't blame them. Downtown is too isolated and wayyy out of the mainstream.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2013 at 1:04pm

This may actually be a good site for a movie theatre as it could draw from other areas close to 75, point being that the further away from downtown Middletown a business is the more chance that the surrounding communities would support it, most people that I know of from places like Monroe, Springboro, Franklin etc... wouldn't venture into downtown Middletown for any reason nope not even for the art scene LOL too bad the city leaders don't get it.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2013 at 7:49pm
Ya'll Crack Me Up!! Seems that no matter what the city does, It's never good enough for ALL of you.  You want changes, yet all you do B*tch, B*tch, B*tch & B*tch.  You don't want to build downtown, which I agree is a lost cause, yet you don't want to build on the East End either.  This is a good location for this movie theather due to the I75 vicinity,  You can grab a bite to eat, then a quick jump to the movie theather (either movie theater). I agree Middletown needs change,, but you will never get change with the continued b*tching that goes on in this site.  Years ago, before I went blind I was one of the b*tch 'n moaners on this site.

I was in business for 22 yrs when one day the Walmart across from my store decided to be one of the 6 Walmarts in the USA to go in competition with my business.  If I had given up I would have been out of business but I didn't.  After 3 years the shop inside Walmart closed.  If Danberry wants to survive, they will most likely have to look at changing their business plan. 

If you all want to change Middletown, You will need to organize into a proactive group, take on city council and beat them at their own game.  And Stop the constant Moaning and groaning about everything.  Oh and btw, the fact that I am blind doesn't stop me from going to the movies and I will patronize this new theater once it arrives.

PacmanCool
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2013 at 5:43am
Folks,

I fear that you are all missing the real point.

The real point is that if the zoning allows a theater (or any other business) in that location, it is NOT up to City Hall to decide whether or not it is a "good idea".

If any businessperson (or group of businesspeople) wants to build or open any business in ANY location in our city (or any city) on a site where zoning allows it (or a variance can be obtained from an IMPARTIAL Zoning Board), then it is up to them whether they do so or not!!!

City government should have NO say so on the matter.  City Government had their chance when they zoned the area.

That is why our so-called downtown has failed for over forty years now.  City government has tried to decide what businesses will succeed, rather than letting the market decide.

If a movie theater falls within the allowable zoning, and City Hall tries to prevent it, the purveyors should sue the City's butt off.  If it is a good idea it will prosper and the owners will make some money!!! (Good for them!!!)  If  it is a bad idea, it will fail, and someone with a better idea will be able to pick up the property on the cheap for a better use (if City Hall would just keep their nose out of it).

When government tries to mandate what businesses are viable, it  dooms those very businesses to fail (unless those businesses are subsidized with tax money taken out of OUR pockets).
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2013 at 6:37am
PAC:

"Ya'll Crack Me Up!! Seems that no matter what the city does, It's never good enough for ALL of you"

THAT'S RIGHT PAC. IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ALL OF US. MERCY, LOOK AT WHAT THEY'VE DONE SINCE THE 70'S HERE. ONE DISASTER AFTER ANOTHER WITH LITTLE TO NO SUCCESS IN GROWING THIS TOWN. WE HAVE HAD INEPT COUNCIL MEMBER AFTER INEPT COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR THE LAST THREE DECADES. NONE GOT THE JOB DONE AND NOW, WE ARE A TOWN WITHOUT DIRECTION, HOPE OR PROGRESS. WE ARE A LOW INCOME POOR TOWN NOW, NOT EVEN MIDDLE CLASS NOR MIDDLE INCOME ANYMORE. WE HAVE LOST OUR REPUTATION AS A BLUE COLLAR COMMUNITY FULL OF HARD WORKERS AND HAVE SLIPPED INTO GHETTO STATUS TO OTHERS AROUND US.

PAC:

"You don't want to build downtown, which I agree is a lost cause, yet you don't want to build on the East End either. This is a good location for this movie theather due to the I75 vicinity"

WE DON'T NEED A DAM MOVIE THEATRE NOW. A MOVIE THEATRE WILL PRODUCE $6 AN HOUR JOBS. WE NEED JOBS CREATED THAT WILL PRODUCE LIVABLE WAGES, NOT SERVICE INDUSTRY JOBS LIKE THIS WILL PRODUCE. UPGRADE THE DAM JOB SCENE TO LIVABLE WAGES. USE THE LAND TO BRING IN MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS AS WAS ORIGINALLY PLANNED. THESE PEOPLE WILL MAKE LIVABLE WAGES WITH MORE DISPOSABLE INCOME AND BUYING POWER. YA GOT A THEATRE A MILE TO THE WEST. THAT PARKING LOT IS OFTEN ALMOST EMPTY. WHY ANOTHER THEATER? THE CITY LEADERS ARE ALWAYS TELLING US HOW FEW ACRES WE HAVE AROUND HERE TO DEVELOP AND YOU (AND THEY) AGREE THAT THEY OUGHT TO PUT A MOVIE THEATRE ON THE LAND? WHY? A WASTE OF AN IDEAL LOCATION FOR THIS PURPOSE. WE CAN GET MORE REVENUE FROM THAT LOCATION WITH A MEDICAL FACILITY AND THE INCOME TAXES THAT IT WILL GENERATE.

PAC:

"If Danberry wants to survive, they will most likely have to look at changing their business plan."

WHY INTENTIONALLY DRIVE AN ESTABLISHED BUSINESS OUT OF BUSINESS, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE PROPOSED MOVIE LOCATION COULD BE PUT TO BETTER USE?

PAC:

"If you all want to change Middletown, You will need to organize into a proactive group, take on city council and beat them at their own game. And Stop the constant Moaning and groaning about everything"

PAC, YOU KNOW THAT ORGANIZING HAS BEEN TRIED ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS. YOU ALSO KNOW THAT ANY ORGANIZATION AGAINST THE ESTABLISHMENT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE IN THIS TOWN BECAUSE OF THE RAMPANT APATHY. EVERYONE'S MAD, BUT NOT "MAD ENOUGH" TO GET TO A MEETING. NOTHING THE WORK WITH IF PEOPLE HAVE THAT ATTITUDE. PLEASE SUGGEST A METHOD TO ORGANIZE THAT WOULD OVERCOME THE APATHY AND GET PEOPLE TO SHOW AND PERHAPS WE COULD GIVE IT A TRY.   

Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2013 at 1:18pm
So why are some of you getting excited about a movie theater barely a mile from a first fun movie theater that was recently remodeled?  You think the seats will be nicer?  Better popcorn?  The current theater is closer to all the restaurants, the new one would be closer to the hospital.

Does anybody on here ever step back and just think it all through or too busy rushing to have a response...
ohiostorm View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohiostorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2013 at 2:59pm
Yes there is alot of negativity on this site.

Is some of it justified......absolutely.

Danbarry is not well taken care of and has holes in the screens and outdated seating and is not kept clean.
My family has stopped paying the high ticket prices for a horrible experience. We now drive to mason or West Chester. Just yesterday in fact. If there was a well run theater in town we would have saved the gas money and stayed in town.

Free market principals.......if it suceeds it suceeds if it fails it is the fault of the business. Other then zoning the City should not pick and choose winners and losers. It has proven that it usually loses.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2013 at 7:19pm
I was told that Danbarry was a horrible experience by my son and his wife..(not well taken care, horrible experience )  that's been part of mid towns problem.. for how long now.. and BTW im a happy b*tch nowLOL,...until I have to make that trip to mid town than im a big b*tch..Big smile  I was a bigger b*tch when mid town was getting my tax $$$$ so now I just b*tch at your city govt. because I wanna and IMO they DESERVE IT...Big smile
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2013 at 9:04pm
Rhodes;

Which movie Theater was recently remodeled?  My son was at Danberry in February and again in early June and says there has been no remodel.  he and his friends now go to Lebanon, West Chester & Hamilton for the movies. 

PacmanCool
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2013 at 12:09am
Oh, so Danbarry has to have been remodeled in 2013 for your family members to be satisfied with the place?  If some of you can't embrace the odd story being put out there that an investor group is considering a 12 screen movie theater in Middletown when there is already an 8 screen first run theater within 1 mile, then I can't help you.

For years a Showcase Theater was in Norwood serving a population of several hundred thousand.  Showcase had to close the Kings Island location for lack of business.  Middletown is less than 15 min. from the West Chester AMC Theater's 18 screens.  I don't know how many are in the Dayton Mall area, but there are already enough movie screens to serve the outskirts of the Middletown area and the local 8 screen first run theater is enough for the local population.  Besides, it's not an uncommon American thing to have to drive a few extra miles to go to the movies.

I don't buy the story the city is pushing.  If you read between the lines, the investor group said they have to do traffic studies.  It's not a straight purchase, it's an option to purchase.  This reminds me of when the city leaders went to Las Vegas and when they came back the mayot (misspelled on purpose, sorry, I can't help making fun of a desperate custom license plate)... so anyway, that person stated some restaurant was now interested in Middletown.  I forget which restaurant it was, but it was one of those chain restaurants you find in places like Centerville or West Chester.  He pumped out the story and of course, it never happened.  Sometimes city workers are out trying to find interest in the city and get a little colorful with the promoting.  It gets an extra look from an investor, but after they do their studies they end up backing down from whatever project they were going to consider.

I remember a former city manager quoting a national news article that put the "Hamilton-Middletown" area as one of the best places to live in the country.  The city manager back then (before Gilleland) went on to say he wasn't surprised because of how incredible Middletown was.  If anyone read the article they would know the title of the area had nothing to do with the location being promoted in the article.  The area that made the "Hamilton-Middletown" location one of the best in the country was the "West Chester/Liberty" suburbs.  So you see, sometimes desperate people cling onto any little false hope they can grab.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that's probably what is going on with the movie theater investor group.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2013 at 12:13am
This isn't about whether Danbarry is up to par or not, this is about whether it is believable that an out of state investor group is considering Middletown to do a direct a hit on another first run theater less than one mile away.  Also challenging AMC 18 in West Chester, less than 15 min. away.

I don't buy it.
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2013 at 7:04am
Well then don't but it Rhondes.
What makes you think it matters what you buy or don't buy?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2013 at 7:37am
lol--it matters to many of us who buys and who doesn't buy

as Rhodes stated--it is an option to purchase, with "due diligence" to be performed.
The man who spoke before Council was an agent for the search firm hoping to sell or lease the property to the theater chain and/or restaurants

the area was supposed to go to high-end medical and professional jobs--now it will revert back to minimum wagers, and won't have any allure to entice higher-end employees to move into the area(city taxes)

I believe that Cheesecake Factory was one of the restaurants pumped by our city govt. after their Vegas junket.

Last couple of times that I went to Danbarry, it smelled like someone had peed in the corner, and the soundtrack was uncomfortably loud. Not to mention slim attendance. Had a great pinball machine in the lobby though(now gone).

With the new Liberty I-75 mega mall probably coming, the Towne Mall area will unfortunately struggle with left-overs and hopefully some variety shut out from the newer, larger mall.

Hey--I want the best for our town and area.
It matters what we all think and want though.

jmo

hey mtown--happy with the new Chamber leader?
I like the choice!
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2013 at 12:52pm
M29, that's why you'll always be where you are.
darcy1969 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcy1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 10:38pm
What a shame, the church could have been used as a Paper/Steel mill Museum potentially and the basement kept closed. Demolition should only be done as a last resort when a building absolutely cannot be repaired.
I would like to see a park near the river that has booths for artists and craft shows with live bands. It would be nice to have an artistic bicycle/walking wooden bridge across the River...just an idea. As people enter the city from the west instead of seeing a delapidated  warehouse would see a green space with musicians/craft shows/etc. where children can get a ice cream cone and dance.  I would like to see an area where we can have live concerts outside and dance in the streets like they do in Lebanon and other districts.
Darcia
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic