Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Tuesday, April 23, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

South Main Street Church

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: South Main Street Church
    Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 3:15pm

I just got off the phone with the Attorney Generals Office.
Last night Mr. Adkins stated that he was going to use Moving Ohio Forward Funds to complete the demo of the church on
South Main Street
The AG’s Office stated that this property DOES NOT QUALIFY for these funds because it is commercial property.
So why was this legislation ever brought before City Council Members?
So since this property does not qualify and city council already approved the demo who will be picking up the tab for this project?

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 5:00pm
Vivian,

I think you've forgotten the "City Hall Shell Game"!!! Just move money from account to account until there's no accounting for it. It's not like it hasn't been done before!!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 7:01pm

Tony
I just received a copy of the DOWNTOWN FUND
1-01-2013 to 5-31-2013

Under REVENUES I noticed that the monthly $1,000 payment from the Moorman’s was  not listed. I wonder if this loan was forgiven.

Under EXPENSES were the following items of interest

2-10-2013 to Gem Real Estate Group $6,000 for the appraisal of Cincinnati State Building

5-09-2013 to Elizabeth Ligon for sale of property at 42 N. Main Street

5-16-2013 to Downtown Middletown Inc $25,000 for City contribution for DMI

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 9:09pm
something stinks
Libertarian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libertarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

I just got off the phone with the Attorney Generals Office.
Last night Mr. Adkins stated that he was going to use Moving Ohio Forward Funds to complete the demo of the church on
South Main Street
The AG’s Office stated that this property DOES NOT QUALIFY for these funds because it is commercial property.
So why was this legislation ever brought before City Council Members?
So since this property does not qualify and city council already approved the demo who will be picking up the tab for this project?

Thank you, Vivian.  One of these days the two or three MUSA supporters of Mr. Akins will finally see the light.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 9:50pm

The contractors said the cost of removing the asbestos was estimated at $51,000, and financially, it could afford only $12,000. They told Adkins the city needed to pay the rest of the cost, or they were abandoning the project. Adkins told council the city would have to pay $13,500 with money already set aside for demolition, and the Ohio Moving Forward Grant would match the $25,500 to come up with the needed $51,000.

Adkins said council either could agree to pay the additional money or let the property “sit.” He called it “not an ideal situation.”

He estimated the total cost to remove the structure at $110,000 to $150,000.

When she was told that, Councilwoman Ann Mort said the $13,500 price tag “sounds like a bargain.
Since you think its a bargain Mrs.Mort why dont you call upon your friends(SNOBS) on Main St. to pitch in and pay for it.
Seems like if there is anything that has to do with Main St. are Spineless ones doesn't hesitate to vote for it.
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 10:23pm
Perhaps Kohler and the Moormans should pay for the clean up of the church?
After all, weren't they the ones who "liberated" all of the stained glass windows out of the place, and seem to be the only ones who ended up making any money off this entire sordid fiasco? 
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 10:25pm
And what about the wellhead protection fund?  This site is just as close to the aquifer as the Orman building was.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 3:06am
Hush Richard. please do not put any other thoughts in their heads of City Hall for their friends on Main Street.
The Moving Ohio Forward Grant Funds are to be used for the demolition of vacant, abandoned, and foreclosed residential properties due to the banking /housing crisis.
How can a burned out church from 2006 possibly qualify for these funds?
If the church qualifies…will Rose Furniture one block away will also qualify for these funds?
Oh well, I’m sure Mr. Lampke at the Attorney General’s Office will work out this little problem with Mr. Adkins.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 3:15am
Posted: 8:00 p.m. Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Council agrees to help fund $51K asbestos removal

By Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

In what was described as a high-stakes poker game, members of Middletown City Council had to decide whether the company dismantling a downtown church, considered an “eye sore” in the city, was bluffing.

Doug Adkins, community revitalization director, said he was told by a Cincinnati company, Reserections Inc., which is dismantling the former First Baptist Church, 119 S. Main St., that additional asbestos was discovered in the basement of the church that was severely burned in 2006 and has been vacant since.

When the company inspected the property, located in the South Main Street Historic District, much of the back wall had collapsed and fallen into the basement, Adkins said. That’s why, the contractors told Adkins, they didn’t discover the asbestos until recently.

The contractors said the cost of removing the asbestos was estimated at $51,000, and financially, it could afford only $12,000. They told Adkins the city needed to pay the rest of the cost, or they were abandoning the project. Adkins told council the city would have to pay $13,500 with money already set aside for demolition, and the Ohio Moving Forward Grant would match the $25,500 to come up with the needed $51,000.

Adkins said council either could agree to pay the additional money or let the property “sit.” He called it “not an ideal situation.”

He estimated the total cost to remove the structure at $110,000 to $150,000.

When she was told that, Councilwoman Ann Mort said the $13,500 price tag “sounds like a bargain.”

“A reluctant bargain,” Adkins added.

Les Landen, the city’s law director, said the city could call the contractor’s bluff and see if it would abandon the project, but added: “There is a risk to take.”

Councilman Josh Laubach said he was concerned that if the city spent additional funds to tear down the church, what would stop others in the city from seeking similar financial support.

“This isn’t such a cut and dry thing,” he said. “I can’t say I’m comfortable…this is endless.”

Councilman A.J. Smith said he too was concerned about setting a precedence.

Mort said the church must be torn down because it’s located on a major thoroughfare in the city and it’s important to have “ welcoming and clean” entrances into the city.

The motion passed five to two with Smith and Laubach voting no.

Years ago, John Phillips said he planned to convert the church into a training center for young musicians in honor of his niece, Rachel Joy Scott, who was killed in the Columbine shooting. Phillips and his family moved to Nashville and the project never started.

Two years ago, Ed Hall said he was going to purchase the property for $6,000 and open an art gallery, museum or other business in the church.

After the asbestos is cleaned up and the church is disassembled, the building will be shipped to Texas. The sanctuary and bell tower will be reassembled as the centerpiece of a shopping square that David and Tara Camp are developing in Bee Cave, just west of Austin, Texas. The Camps have a store called Revival that uses the slogan “Divinely Inspired Home Design.” They sell new furniture, gifts, and vintage items, such as old doors, and provide design services and art classes

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 6:24am
"Mort said the church must be torn down because it’s located on a major thoroughfare in the city and it’s important to have “ welcoming and clean” entrances into the city"

MAJOR THOROUGHFARE? WELCOMING AND CLEAN ENTRANCES INTO THE CITY? AND THEN WE TALK ABOUT THE MULTI-COLORED STOREFRONTS YESTERDAY ON CENTRAL, LOOKING LIKE A PICTURE FROM SOME THIRD WORLD COUNTRY BEING ALLOWED TO EXIST? DO THE WORDS TACKY, FLEA MARKET OR GHETTO COME TO MIND? WE HAVE SEEN FOR DECADES, THE WAY THE SOUTH ENTRANCE TO THE CITY LOOKED ON RT. 4 COMING IN FROM HAMILTON. HOW ABOUT RT. 73 FROM FRANKLIN? HOW ABOUT THE WAY S. MAIN ST HAS LOOKED FOR DECADES FROM ENGLES CORNER INTO THE DOWNTOWN AREA? RT. 4 FROM POSTTOWN PAST THE AIRPORT FOR DECADES HASN'T NECESSARILY BEEN THE POSTER CHILD FOR "WELCOMING AND CLEAN" EITHER.SAME GOES AS YOU APPROACH THE DOWNTOWN AFTER YOU CROSS THE BRIDGE COMING FROM WEST MIDDLETOWN. DOESN'T NECESSARILY MAKE A GOOD IMPRESSION, RIGHT?

GREAT COMEDY. ONLY IN MIDDLETOWN WOULD WE HEAR COMMENTS LIKE THIS COMING FROM A COUNCIL PERSON SUCH AS MORT. IN A WORLD ALL HER OWN AND CLUELESS ABOUT HOW TO FOCUS ON WHAT IS IMPORTANT. SHE TALKS ABOUT THE MOST PETTY SITUATIONS AND DOESN'T ADDRESS THE REAL ISSUES. THE WOMAN IS JUST OCCUPYING A SEAT WITH NO PRODUCTIVE INPUT FOR THE CITY. MERCY.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
topper View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 9:01am
It sure is a shame the city can't find the money to maintain it's own responsibilities ie. the Pioneer Cemetery. I hear they need $25,000.00 to install a new slate roof, which would allow them to place the cemetery on the national records of historic locations and qualify the cemetery for federal grants for upkeep for the future.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 9:34am
WOW!! WOW!!! WOW!!!! In all my days I have never seen so much BS coming from a city staff and council of mid tucky...than ya wonder why people get down on govt. and another WOW!! are those store fronts, was this silly looking paint theme allowed by mort and company Confused those colors are for junkies and hoes...really not seeing these clowns being able to ever stop digging that hole deeper..  so ya better get your boots on...
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 11:17am

I sent an email yesterday with addition information to the Attorney Generals Office I just received this email from the Attorney General Office this morning.
It seem that the church DOES qualify for use of these funds...Vivian

This church is zoned residential and sits in a residential neighborhood.  As such, it fits within the parameters of the program.  The main goal is to rid our neighborhoods of blight.  This property fits within the county’s strategic plan.   

Description: cid:image001.png@01CDB74E.D6B85870

Jennifer L. Mildren
Assistant Attorney General

Mortgage Foreclosure Unit
Office of Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine
Office number: 614-466-1795
jennifer.mildren@OhioAttorneyGeneral.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 12:27pm
This church is zoned residential and sits in a residential neighborhood. As such, it fits within the parameters of the program. The main goal is to rid our neighborhoods of blight. This property fits within the county’s strategic plan.   

Jennifer L. Mildren
Assistant Attorney General

WELL THERE YOU HAVE IT. OUR CITY LEADERS DO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING AFTER ALL AND WE HAVE BEEN WRONG ALL THIS TIME. I'M ASHAMED OF MYSELF FOR DOUBTING THEM. I, FOR ONE, WILL NEVER QUESTION ANOTHER DECISION, PLAN NOR SAY ANOTHER NEGATIVE THING ABOUT THE DIRECTION THEY ARE TAKING THIS CITY AGAIN........MAYBE...... AND HAVE ALL THE CONFIDENCE IN THE WORLD THAT THEY ARE AS COMPETENT AS ANY LEADERS IN THE FREE WORLD.......SORTA. LET'S FACE IT FOLKS, THEY KNOW THEIR STUFF.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 2:46pm
Good news for the developers doing the old Journal building renovation-if you need more dough just tell the city you're walking away from the project. The precedent has been set.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by FmrMide81 FmrMide81 wrote:

Good news for the developers doing the old Journal building renovation-if you need more dough just tell the city you're walking away from the project. The precedent has been set.

Was set a long time ago.They dont care its not there money.They only look after there friends.You know the ones that have deep pockets and as dumb as them.Wink
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 3:21pm

Midi81
I heard that the Journal Building was purchased at a very special price plus perks.
I’m now not sure of what restriction are on the Moving Ohio Forward Grant Funds so the Journal Building may be able to get funds also.

Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 3:42pm
What's crazy about all this focus on downtown is that, in the end, it will have a neglible impact on the local tax revenues generated. What this town needs is major employers which pay decent to high wages and therefore generate city income tax.

Notice how the prized east end property which was supposed to be developed for commercial purposes is now possibly being sold for a movie theater and more restaurants? Is this the fault of the Great Recession? Not really -- it's because the Austin Blvd and Liberty interchanges beat us to the punch with development. But wasn't that predictable when that Neyer plan was rolled out several years ago? Didn't anyone in the room say "hey, you know if that land near Springboro and Liberty Twp ever gets developed we could be shut out of upper end commercial development for another decade or more?

The sad thing is that Donham folks are keeping themselves busy with Downtown because everything else is a failure and they have no more bullets in the chamber for meaningful East End economic development.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 3:48pm
Well I hope they except the deal, otherwise we may be waiting for a very long time for someone else to try development there, Grab it while you can. Surely Miss Judy goes to the movies doesn't she?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 4:10pm
Efforts in the former downtown area have been successful?
Based on the expense?

I dunno about a huge movie complex now
Despite good crowds at liberty, movies at theaters are pretty much old news, + the cost of admission is scheduled to rise big time--
With some blockbusters rumored to cost $25 per head. In this era of 3d and now 4k home televisions + blue ray and 4k, I wouldn't invest in a new theater complex.
Plus-- I heard the devil hidden within the purchase details--mainly in the terms of "due diligence".
This outfit researches properties to purchase--then lease or sell the property to a big player. Due diligence can tie up property for quite a while until the purchaser decides whether to buy or not. If they decide not to buy, then they can walk away stone free after the property has been held indefinitely during this period. Any financial arrangement involving deposit good faith money really holds no water in court.
Council and Admin need to go into this with a pro negotiator, and I don't think that we have one IMO.

We need higher-paying employment than this project may provide--somewhere in this city.
It can't ALL be artsy/foody fluff and candy. We have seen just how far those concepts have taken us(and the never-ending expenses involved)

jmo
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 4:58pm
I wish are Spineless Ones,Mr.A,and Queen Judy would take my offer in them giving me Manchester Inn so I can make "DOWNTOWN" more exciting then ever.LOLLOL
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2013 at 7:03am
Adkins and the contractors knew the basement was full of asbestos before they started their project.
Kohler told me he had informed both Adkins and contractor months ago about the asbestos. He shared an environmental assessment report that had been performed on the church with both Adkins and contractor.

This entire deal smells.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2013 at 9:15am

As soon as the church is removed and the grass seed is planted I think City Hall needs to put this piece of prime real estate up for sale at fair market value since the tax payers now have skin in this game.
This is a nice wide lot and therefore a house could be built on it. This isn’t one of Mr. Doug’s $500 Specials and therefore not treated as such.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2013 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; FONT-SIZE: 11pt">As soon as the church is removed and the grass seed is planted I think City Hall needs to put this piece of prime real estate up for sale at fair market value since the tax payers now have skin in this game.
This is a nice wide lot and therefore a house could be built on it. This isn’t one of Mr. Doug’s $500 Specials and therefore not treated as such.<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

OH BOY VIV. ALOT OF PRE-PREP BEFORE BUILDING A NEW HOUSE ON THIS S. MAIN ST. "HISTORICAL DISTRICT" LOT. GOTTA HAVE A BUYER THAT THE S. MAIN ST. SOCIETY WILL APPROVE. NOT JUST ANYONE CAN MOVE IN. GOTTA BE HIGH FALUTIN' AND LIKE OLD TYME LIVIN'. GOTTA AGREE TO BE A PART OF THE ONES WHO WANT US TO PAY FOR THE NEW LIGHTS. GOTTA SUBMIT PLANS TO BUILD A RESIDENCE THAT MEETS THE APPROVAL OF THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY'S IDEA OF "APPROPRIATENESS" FOR THAT AREA. GOTTA USE BUILDING MATERIALS THAT REFLECT THE ERA. GOTTA HAVE THE MAYOR'S (AND HIS MOTHER) AND MARTIN KOHLER'S PERMISSION TO BUILD. ONLY SPECIAL PEOPLE NEED APPLY.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic