Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

poverty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 7:21pm

Is the city paying Nelson Associates as much (or even more) than was paid to CONSO???
Perplexed
Yes I believe they are receiving more money…plus the City paid for the new software program to make Section 8 a paperless program.
Is it true that the city is spending a sizable percentage of all HUD grants for program administration plus program delivery???  This means salaries, fringe benefits, etc.

I’m sorry but I do not have the breakdown on the numbers for this department. You will need to request these records from Mr. Adkins

Over the Hill

Isn't doug adkins salary partially paid through HUD money and his secretary's whole salary paid by HUD funds? Yes
If the program is turned over to Butler Co. then will the secretary lose her job and what about adkins salary? Will the city keep paying him the same amount for his job of Community Revitilation, It's not like he's done a whole lot of "revitalizing"that you can see. Unless it's the "green spaces" he created with all the tear downs.
I guess that decision will be made by Ms Judy and City Council however I would think it would be very difficult to justify his job and his salary.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 7:50pm
HdMechanical View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HdMechanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 8:12pm
Middletown is also a landlord on some properties....for which they receive vouchers. They also adminsiter the HUD program thru another entity which exists on paper and trail is muddled.....You can trace middletown housing authority back to being owned by hamilton housing authority...Then you can pull the scattered housing up and find many different landlords which  have partners. But you will find very little info on middletown public housing in regards to filings, tax id or other identifying documents....

The only way you can pinpoint properties owned by city of middletown and being rented is to enter the addresses and find them on Butler county website.

But I could be wrong.........
darcy1969 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcy1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2013 at 11:46am
We have a masonry company with good workers right here in Middletown. The city is not ADA compliant I know, but if we start listing out specific areas that help our special needs be able to get to the grocery or local park if there is one in their neighborhood then provide that list to the city we can start to make baby steps in the right direction. I suggest any left over material from commercial jobs be used to fix the curbs and sidewalks in many areas. I ride a bike now since my van broke down and just from my temporary home to Save A Lot I had to get off my bike a couple times and walk to avoid side walk curbs that were not ramps. If I can't ride a bike then I know those with special needs cannot get very far. Now when I rode in the Sherman area it was much better, but there are a boat load of places surrounding Sherman that need work.

We have to start volunteering ourselves to help, or call on family, get prices to repair, talk to businesses, because many curbs can be fixed by local business person who owns the property where the sidewalk is, and the ones in neighborhoods perhaps they can have yard sales or baked goods sales or request churches to help make a difference? These are all ideas that everyone on here can use to help change it. We need to take initiative for our own communities. We need to make a list and prioritize it, and take baby steps toward improving. It's all good to identify the problems but complaining doesn't make anything change, action does. So we need to take pictures, print a map, identify the locations and need. Then provide that with a change request and if no response from the city then see what we can do to change it ourselves. Does that sound reasonable?

Darcia
darcy1969 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcy1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2013 at 11:52am
Wink I have limb clippers, and am going to cut back an area of growth over the sidewalk on Breiel Boulevard that you have to duck and bob to get past. I will do what I can with limited time and resources and this is something I can do to help. One of the big issues with the city is they contract out a lot of work like mowing because they only have 6 employees I think I was told a few weeks ago. So there's too much work to be done and not enough employees.

I can draft a letter to give to local businesses and see if they can change some of the sidewalks or perhaps work with the city regarding the ADA Compliance. I will see if I can post the letter here for others to use if they want to do the same. All we can do is ask the city with detailed information, or ask the local businesses, and then if they won't step up to the plate then we see if we can do it ourselves by getting creative with fundraising. The worst response we can get is No, or no response. I have heard that a ton in the past and am sure I will hear it more in the future, but it doesn't stop me from asking and eventually you get tired of hearing it and begin speaking publicly or try to solve the problem with your own ingenuity, creativity, and determination! 
Darcia
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2013 at 2:04pm
I salute you,Darcy, I hope your post can encourage others.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2013 at 3:13pm

Darcy

We have several people in the
Sherman
area that are in motorized wheelchairs. They usually travel in the streets and not on the sidewalks when they are not in high traffic areas.

Darcy you are not allowed to trim city tree. You need to tie a ribbon around the tree and send an email to Ron Phelps
ronp@cityofmiddletown.org so they can go out and trim back the tree.

lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 1:37pm
Debate the causes of Middletown's poverty all you want, but you will not find the answer as it has already been given to you and you ignored it. Thank you squeemy (?).

Poverty is growing in the US and will continue to grow as we have a systemic political problem that looks hopeless in my opinion. As was stated earlier, Middletown is just ahead of the curve, more than likely due to it's proximity to I75. We had been in decline since the 60s when all the economic development had the lure of the interstate corridor pulling it to the I75 area away from Middletown proper and thus were already in decline high gear when the "destroy the middle class" project started.

The world Economy simply offered too much opportunity to the big money people of the World to pass up even if it meant that the middle class would take a hit. Unfortunately, as American Business has done of late, the long term consequences were ignored. When a Nation's economy exist with  70% of economic activity due to domestic consumer spending, how in the world can we ignore the the financial hit the middle class has taken and NOT expect that economic activity to wane? Additionally with a disproportional amount of  the profits now coming from the financial area, as was mentioned earlier, we have the event of "paper" profits verse concrete profits that are associated with manufacturing.

Can any of you educate me as to how things could be different given our current economic structure?   All the tax cuts in the World and even more  free trade than we have now are going to do nothing but make matters worst, yet that is all you hear out of Washington.

THAT is why Middletown has so much poverty.

Also...be careful about how much you bash the poor as you may find yourself there faster than you ever expected. I know many people in just that position.

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by lrisner lrisner wrote:

Debate the causes of Middletown's poverty all you want, but you will not find the answer as it has already been given to you and you ignored it. Thank you squeemy (?).

Poverty is growing in the US and will continue to grow as we have a systemic political problem that looks hopeless in my opinion. As was stated earlier, Middletown is just ahead of the curve, more than likely due to it's proximity to I75. We had been in decline since the 60s when all the economic development had the lure of the interstate corridor pulling it to the I75 area away from Middletown proper and thus were already in decline high gear when the "destroy the middle class" project started.

The world Economy simply offered too much opportunity to the big money people of the World to pass up even if it meant that the middle class would take a hit. Unfortunately, as American Business has done of late, the long term consequences were ignored. When a Nation's economy exist with  70% of economic activity due to domestic consumer spending, how in the world can we ignore the the financial hit the middle class has taken and NOT expect that economic activity to wane? Additionally with a disproportional amount of  the profits now coming from the financial area, as was mentioned earlier, we have the event of "paper" profits verse concrete profits that are associated with manufacturing.

Can any of you educate me as to how things could be different given our current economic structure?   All the tax cuts in the World and even more  free trade than we have now are going to do nothing but make matters worst, yet that is all you hear out of Washington.

THAT is why Middletown has so much poverty.

Also...be careful about how much you bash the poor as you may find yourself there faster than you ever expected. I know many people in just that position.

I think you hit the nail on the head, how ever I do think that the city leaders could have done a lot better job managing the city such as all the money wasted on their pet projects and horrible decisions.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 3:00pm
both good points
still--you have to do everything possible to make it all as minimal as can be
not sure that we have done that around here
do the simple math--no way that it can work and probably only gets worse

jmo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic