FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Civil Rights Compliance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Civil Rights Compliance
    Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 10:31am
osted: 8:00 a.m. Sunday, July 14, 2013
IN-DEPTH COVERAGE

City set for Civil Rights Compliance check

By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

The city’s attempt to reduce subsidized housing vouchers — commonly known as Section 8 — in Middletown by more than 1,000 over the next five years has already come with a cost.

Representatives from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development will arrive in town Tuesday for a three-day review of the Middletown Public Housing Agency and the city’s Section 8 Housing Voucher Program. The city has spent unknown amounts of money and staff time gathering hundreds of pages of documents and hiring outside counsel in preparation for the compliance visit.

And the city might have to spend even more money and time responding to the five “substantive” deficiencies HUD identified in the MPHA’s five-year and annual plan, which outlined the city’s desire to reduce its 1,662 housing choice vouchers by 1,008 through attrition over the next half decade. HUD has given the city until mid-August to address the deficiencies, which includes a requirement to hold a public hearing on the plan and document any comments or testimony given by attendees.

Despite the financial cost and resistance to the plan by HUD thus far, city officials appear poised to stay the course. While some council members, like Vice Mayor Dan Picard, are concerned about the potential costs of challenging the federal housing agency, they believe they are heading in the right direction.

And while they aren’t willing to say right now how far they will push the fight with HUD, most council members say the city hasn’t reached the point of no return yet.

“We as council and the (MPHA) board have to do what’s best for Middletown,” Councilman Josh Laubach said. “I think we’re doing what’s right.”

Laubach agrees with city administration assessments that “we have an oversaturation of public housing in the city.” Statistics show that Middletown has more subsidized housing per capita than any city in Ohio. All subsidized housing accounts for 49.8 percent of Middletown’s total housing stock and Section 8 makes up 14.3 percent.

City officials say the cuts to Section 8 they are proposing would bring that number to a more manageable 10 percent. At its present levels, Section 8 housing is putting a strain on city services and negatively impacting Middletown’s image and economic development efforts, city officials say.

But in the June 13 letter to the city rejecting its reduction plan, HUD officials maintained the city had not done enough to justify the voucher cuts or consider their impact on low-income families with children, minorities and persons with disabilities. In short, HUD’s letter seemed to be pointing out that the city had an obligation to take care of the poor people who were already calling the city home.

According the U.S. Census Bureau, 23.2 percent of Middletown residents are living in poverty, nearly double the number in 1999.

Councilman Joe Mulligan said one of the reasons the city is looking at reducing the number of vouchers is to be able to better serve the underprivileged, which includes providing quality housing in safe neighborhoods.

“If we are not able to provide safe neighborhoods with good housing stock to lower income families, that’s not a good environment for them and they would be better served in other towns or in other parts of the country,” Mulligan said. “One thing, I think, HUD maybe overlooks is that over the past two decades or more, we really have served a lot of low-income families.”

While little has been disclosed about what HUD’s Civil Rights Compliance visit from July 16-18 will entail, it is clear the agency will be checking to make sure the city is following all the federal rules and that no discriminatory practices are taking place.

HUD spokeswoman Donna White said since the review is an investigation she couldn’t comment on specifics.

“The purpose is to determine whether or not the reduction of the Section 8 voucher program is in noncompliance with the requirements of (HUD’s Civil Rights section) and the authority’s obligation to affirmatively further fair housing,” White said.

City administrators have remained relatively tight-lipped in the days leading up to the probe. City Manager Judy Gilleland said simply, “We will know more” when HUD inspectors arrive in the city on Tuesday.

“The only thing we are aware of so far is that they are going to review files,” she said.

Laubach added: “I would certainly hope that we are not being unfairly targeted for any scrutiny simply because somebody disagrees with our decisions. After all we have an obligation with our citizens, and we have to work within the confines of the guidelines and regulations and do what’s best for the citizens.”

Many landlords who rent properties to Section 8 voucher holders have been equally quiet, though some say for a very different reason. Several landlords refuse to comment openly, telling the The Journal they fear repercussions by the city.

One landlord who spoke on the condition of anonymity said the city has “a way of getting back at you.”

The city’s Section 8 program receives about $10 million from HUD, which is held to the number of vouchers held by the city. Millions of those dollars are paid to Section 8 landlords, while a few hundred thousand dollars goes to the city, which is split with Nelson & Associates which manages the program.

That landlord said HUD’s presence in the city next week and their rejection of the city’s plan should be cause for “concern.”

“There are people who need the program, who are not necessarily being qualified for the program properly, or given the opportunities others maybe given,” the landlord said.

With the reduction, the landlord said the city needs to “strike a balance” with the city’s demographics, the housing and potential growth areas.

“The reduction of the voucher program is part of overall systemic issues with a lack of jobs and a lack of adequate housing for the people who are in need,” the landlord said.

On the idea of giving the 1,008 vouchers back to HUD, or even transferring them to the Butler Metro Housing Authority, the landlord had no opinion but said, “I think it’s important we have a local presence, but I’m concerned with the city’s administrative costs associated with the program.”

Jennifer Layburn, a Section 8 tenant in Middletown, agrees with the city that the number of vouchers needs to be reduced.

“I know there are people that are on (the program) that don’t need to be on there,” she said, adding she used to know some voucher holders who had boyfriends living with them despite that being against the rules of the program.

But she called the reduction plan “almost a Catch 22” because while vouchers need to be reduced, “I think it’s going to hurt the people that really be need to be on Section 8. A few bad seeds makes it bad for everyone.”

A transfer of the vouchers to Butler Metropolitan Housing Authority is an idea she thinks the city and HUD should consider because “they’d would still have housing available for those who need it.”

David Rhodus, a Middletown Section 8 tenant, believes the whole program should be transferred to Butler County.

“I don’t really agree with (the reduction),” he said. “I don’t think the city of Middletown really knows how to run the program.”

He said the MPHA has treated him and his fiancee poorly, and he feels their civil rights have been violated for not allowing them to be rent from the daughter of a former Section 8 landlord who had been removed from the program.

“We’re being force to move … and I feel our civil rights are being violated,” he said.

CONTINUING COVERAGE

The Middletown Journal is committed to reporting the news that affects your community. The debate between the city’s efforts to reduce Section 8 vouchers and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development will have an impact on the ultimate outcome, and you will hear about this outcome first with The Middletown Journal.

Requested data

Middletown has prepared 1,000 pages of documents to the U.S. Department of Urban Development in advance of its Civil Rights compliance review of MPHA’s Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. HUD inspectors are set to from Tuesday to Thursday. Here are some highlights of HUD’s request:

• Provide copies of the official minutes from each and every Middletown Public Housing Agency meetings since Jan. 1, 2010;
  • Provide a list of landlords approved for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program since Jan. 1, 2010, including landlord contact and approved property addresses;
  • Provide the name, race and ethnicity of all Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher holders;
  • Indicate the location of all Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher holders by race, address and census tract;
  • Provide a demographic map indicating the distribution of all Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher holders on Jan. 1, 2009, Jan. 1, 2010, Jan. 1, 2011 and Jan. 1, 2012;
  • The actions the MPHA has taken to overcome identified impediments during calendar years 2010, 2011, 2012, and to the present’ and
  • Explain how MPHA issue Non-Elderly Disabled vouchers.

Source: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s May 31 letter to Mayor Larry Mulligan

Requested Data

The U.S.

darcy1969 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcy1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2013 at 9:53pm
This is not a simple matter but I am going to voice my opinion. I had to leave my job to take care of my children, primarily because my 3rd child was born special. Shortly after this happened the child support stopped. When this happened I had to swallow my pride and walk into job and family services. This is not something that I can imagine most really want to do. It hurt my self esteem bad to have to do that, I cried, basically I had to give up my dream of having a home and I swallowed my dream of the time and sold my home and went to cheaper places to live so that I could take care of my three children as a single parent. I was told that it was time for me to be a NORMAL parent, and let me tell you that sent me into a panic attack. I worked 20 years for Fortune 500 companies and brought in tax money good.  I have never sought Section 8, because I was proud and trying to make it on my own with what help I had from others. You see most of us do not like asking for help and we try, try, try and are determined to succeed; I don't like asking for help but I have found in certain circumstances we have to. So I have lived poor for a few years now. I have taken classes and obtained my Bachelors degree. Yet employment still looms as a challenge although I had a 3.69 gpa and previous 20 years employment and am a good hard worker. However it seems many do not value my volunteer work or decision to take care of my disabled son instead of sending him to a home and government waiver, through it all I have about lost my mind in the process. It's not easy and most on welfare do not want to be on it, we want to work but many don't give us the bridges to help us get out of poverty. Section 8 is supposed to be a stepping stone to help stabilize people, provide the children a safe place to live, and then allow other programs such as ABLE, social workers, others and community action organizations to help find employment and put support structures in place to help get people OFF Section 8.
So to help understand, I could have went on Section 8, but everyone I have talked to would much rather have a permanent home structure such as a home. We have plenty of homes for sale in Middletown. Yet when I and others call to get referrals for FHA, VA, HUD assistance to complete forms needed we are told NO WE DON'T DO THAT and it is a dead end. This needs to change. All it takes is a single chronic illness to hit your family and watch your finances drain and be put in the same boat as those on Section 8 or those barely surviving like me who hold on to a tiny bit of pride that I still have. We are embarrassed to use that EBT card (food stamps) and we don't like going to agencies to get help because it is a red tape hassle and takes too many visits to too many places and hurts us psychologically.
If you look at how other counties work that are more successful, they don't go to the desperate state of eliminating the program but use it as a STEPPING STONE to help fallen warriors bounce back. Our community is facing more people going into poverty from middle class than more coming out of poverty back into the middle class. We need to embrace the tools available, especially those from the federal government that are proven winners in countless other areas and bring our economy back up to perhaps less than 5% in poverty. To do this will take time but tools exist to make it happen. My special needs child needs his own bedroom but we do what we can with what little we have until I find employment and can get FHA/HUD assistance for permanent housing. Am I seriously going to have to go to another county to get this help? That is what I was told by someone working in the Middletown office today, that there are no supports in place to help the homeless, poor, disabled find permanent homes. I seriously asked can't you refer me to someone in the area who can help us get FHA/HUD assistance? They told me No.

Can anybody explain to me what needs to happen to get a permanent home, because many people I live around want one and my children deserve one and with interest rates as low as they are and funding as good as it is right now we should be able to get one paying less than what we currently pay in rent. When we get one where we pay less than existing rent prices, then all the other benefits that come along with being poor DECREASE. I am confused as to why this isn't a win:win solution for everyone. Why isn't it a stepping stone?
Darcia
darcy1969 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcy1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2013 at 10:03pm
A side issue related to Section 8, is many wealthy people are making a lot of money by buying up properties and then renting them out to the poor. They advise it is a great way to make a MINT because they get federal/state money and they also get the rent money from the resident. I am not in total agreement that using Section 8 to create this kind of win win but rather would like to see home ownership (the American dream) be had by residents rather than a commercial industry. It's being used in many areas as a get rich scheme, instead of what it was intended to be, a stepping stone of stability to rebuild a piece of the community. So while I don't agree it should be eliminated, I also don't agree it should be a commercial industry, I feel it should be down the middle which is a stepping stone for bridging back out of poverty...not getting stuck in it without a bridge.
Darcia
darcy1969 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcy1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2013 at 10:46pm
While I am on my soap box so to speak, how can we deny the VA loans to our vets? Is this seriously what we are doing?  Thoroughly confused...please explain, because this is what they told me over the phone today.   By the way, I mentioned today that Eastern Lanes should work with the VFW to hold a USO event between their two close locations and resources available to honor all our veterans and military families and members. We could over the next several months using tools available on the uso.org web site acquire a nice set of resources to honor not only our local families but donate profits to the same. I and I am sure many others would volunteer to help. They have a lot of information and tools on their web site on how this can happen including celebrities and potentially bands that may travel to help with fundraising efforts with our local bands if it can be organized. Businesses, the schools, work places that contribute matching funds, games and bar b que's in your own yard/event, and more can be used as ideas they list on how to raise funds for various purposes in your neighborhood to address goals we want to accomplish.
Darcia
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 6:32am
DARCY:

"Section 8 is supposed to be a stepping stone to help stabilize people, provide the children a safe place to live, and then allow other programs such as ABLE, social workers, others and community action organizations to help find employment and put support structures in place to help get people OFF Section 8."

BINGO!!! That's the way it's suppose to work. Optimum phrase here....."is suppose to be a stepping stone to help stabilize people"....

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way in far too many cases. There are people who ask for the help, receive the help, and live for decades receiving freebies without even trying to fend for themselves. These are the people who give the legitimate folks and the programs a bad reputation. (Having an area, such as Middletown, saturated with these programs and inviting these social program abusers to town doesn't help either).

DARCY:

"All it takes is a single chronic illness to hit your family and watch your finances drain"....

I share your statement and situation here Darcy, and the only thing that has saved our family from total financial ruin from medical bills is great primary and secondary insurance plans that I pay through the nose for at work.

DARCY:

"I have never sought Section 8, because I was proud and trying to make it on my own"....

"We are embarrassed to use that EBT card (food stamps) and we don't like going to agencies to get help because it is a red tape hassle and takes too many visits to too many places and hurts us psychologically"...

Ahh, but there are far too many who don't have any pride, no morals nor are responsible for their own lives. They don't care about embarrasment nor what people think. They are out to bilk the taxpayer out of anything and everything offered to them through these weak social programs. AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM FOR THE LEGITIMATE FOLKS AS TO PERCEPTION.

DARCY:

"Can anybody explain to me what needs to happen to get a permanent home, because many people I live around want one and my children deserve one and with interest rates as low as they are and funding as good as it is right now we should be able to get one paying less than what we currently pay in rent. When we get one where we pay less than existing rent prices, then all the other benefits that come along with being poor DECREASE. I am confused as to why this isn't a win:win solution for everyone. Why isn't it a stepping stone?"

No matter how you finance a home, with the loan application, they will require you to have income. You state you have no job right now, even with a bachelor's degree. Many do not with Masters and Phd's and are unemployed. How would you prove to the lending institution that you can afford a home regardless of the price without income? You state you pay rent, therefore, you do have some income per month. Perhaps these lending institutions do not recognize the source of the income as being stable enough to qualify. Better to be employed for a certain amount of time on the job and with a qualifying income before pursuing a home, right? You stated in the beginning of your post that you had a job at one time before leaving it. No other alternative for you at that time? You mentioned the loss of child support after you left your job. No pursuit of that child support? Sounds like you need that financial support.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 6:45am
Originally posted by darcy1969 darcy1969 wrote:

A side issue related to Section 8, is many wealthy people are making a lot of money by buying up properties and then renting them out to the poor. They advise it is a great way to make a MINT because they get federal/state money and they also get the rent money from the resident. I am not in total agreement that using Section 8 to create this kind of win win but rather would like to see home ownership (the American dream) be had by residents rather than a commercial industry. It's being used in many areas as a get rich scheme, instead of what it was intended to be, a stepping stone of stability to rebuild a piece of the community. So while I don't agree it should be eliminated, I also don't agree it should be a commercial industry, I feel it should be down the middle which is a stepping stone for bridging back out of poverty...not getting stuck in it without a bridge.

AND THAT'S ANOTHER ISSUE CREATED BY THE CITY LEADERS AND CURRENT AND PAST COUNCILS. THEY WANTED THE HUD FED MONEY TO BEEF UP THE CITY REVENUE LOST OVER THE YEARS WITH THE MASS EXODUS OF COMPANIES LEAVING TOWN. THEY MORE THAN DOUBLED THE CORRECT NUMBER OF SECTION 8 TO DO IT. IRONICALLY, THEY ONLY GET A HUNDRED THOUSAND OUT OF IT AS THEY MUST SHARE WITH THE HOUSING AUTHORITY WITH THE SECTION 8 LANDLORDS GETTING THE LION'S SHARE FROM HUD. WHO REALLY WON HERE? NOT ONLY HAVE THEY CREATED THEIR OWN LITTLE GHETTO SECTION 8 EMPIRE, THEY HAVE ALSO RELEGATED THE CITY TO A HIGH POVERTY RATE, RUINED THE CITY IMAGE AND CREATED A FEEDING FRENZY FOR THE SECTION 8 LANDLORDS IN TOWN. YES, SOME OF THE ABANDONED HOUSES IN MIDDLETOWN HAVE BEEN BOUGHT AND REHABBED FOR SECTION 8, BUT AT WHAT PRICE TO THE CITY? HAVE WE UPGRADED THE CITY IN ANY WAY. I SAY NO. NOW, THE SAME PEOPLE WHO BEEFED UP THE PROGRAM ARE WANTING TO, ALL OF A SUDDEN, REDUCE IT TO THE CORRECT NUMBER FROM 1662 DOWN TO AROUND 700......AND HUD DOESN'T LIKE IT......SO MUCH SO THAT THEY'RE HERE TODAY TO SPANK THE CITY OFFICIALS ON THE BOTTOM. THEY SCREWED UP (AGAIN) AND NOW, IT MAY BE TOO LATE TO REPAIR THE DAMAGE.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 7:08am
VET writes,IT MAY BE TOO LATE TO REPAIR THE DAMAGE!!    IMO as if it matters, YEP!!!    
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 9:54am
Some of the houses doug Adkins tore down looked to be salvageable homes. why could we not get first time home buyers a chance at those if they could qualify. This way you could have first time buyers getting a home they become homeowners and tax payers and would be contributing to the community. We would've be tearing down so many homes to leave a lot to be mowed. give them a great deal and they might surprise you.
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 12:08pm
First time homeowners? Gee, great idea. These houses have been sitting there for years, decaying, without anyone stepping up to buy them. This despite a few years of unprecendented low interest rates.

Don't you think they would have been purchased by now?
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 2:05pm
I've been told that only months after the arrival of Judy G., did she start talking about using HUD funds for ramped up residential property demolition.  It is also known that up to 2008 it was common for the city to use some (not all) of its' CDBG funds for the demolition of 14-16 derelict homes annually.  What was her background in HUD programs and affordable housing prior to her coming here five plus years ago ??
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 3:41pm

Affordable Housing Application Information

HUD's Office of Affordable Housing Programs administers three separate programs designed to make safe, quality housing available to low-and moderate-income households. While HUD does not make direct grants to tenants, homebuyers, or homeowners, affordable housing funds are provided to states, units of local government and nonprofit organizations. Click on any of the following links for information about how to receive affordable housing assistance from HUD in your community.

The HOME Program helps to expand the supply of decent, affordable housing for low and very low- income families by providing grants to States and local governments called participating jurisdictions or "PJs". PJs use their HOME grants to fund housing programs which meet local needs and priorities. To find out about how to apply for HOME assistance in your community, contact the designated office nearest your community.

SHOP provides funds for non-profit organizations to purchase home sites and develop or improve the infrastructure needed to set the stage for sweat equity and volunteer-based homeownership programs for low-income families. National and regional nonprofit organizations or consortia with experience in using volunteer labor to build housing may apply. Follow these links for information about current SHOP grantees: Habitat for Humanity; Housing Assistance Council; ACORN Housing Corporation; Community Frameworks, and PPEP Microbusiness and Housing Development Corporation.

The Homeownership Zone program allows communities to reclaim vacant and blighted properties, increase homeownership, and promote economic revitalization by creating entire neighborhoods of new, single-family homes, called Homeownership Zones. Communities that apply for HOZ funds are encouraged to use New Urbanist design principals by providing for a pedestrian-friendly environment, a mix of incomes and compatible uses, defined neighborhood boundaries and access to jobs and mass transit. There have been two competitive funding rounds, one in federal fiscal year 1996 (FY 96) and one in federal fiscal year 1997 (FY 97). No further funding has yet been made available for this program.

HUD also provides general homebuyer assistance for first-time homebuyers, including housing counseling.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/comm_planning/affordablehousing/apply

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 1:44am

While driving down Main Street yesterday I thought I saw vultures circling above City Hall.
Yep HUD must be in town

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 8:32am
Posted: 8:00 a.m. Thursday, July 18, 2013

Some tenants welcome review of Middletown’s subsidized housing

By Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

One Middletown woman who receives subsidized housing vouchers — commonly known as Section 8 — said while she can’t “put my finger on it,” something is “not right” with the program in the city.

She said she has heard that some people have been discriminated against and she welcomes the review of the Middletown Public Housing Agency and the city’s Section 8 Housing Voucher Program. Representatives from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development are in town this week for a three-day review of the program.

The city wants to cut the number of Section 8 housing vouchers by 60 percent, or roughly 1,008, over the next five years. Some have argued the influx of subsidized housing over the past decade plus is partly responsible for the city’s high poverty rate of 23.2 percent, double what it was in 1999.

City officials have said the oversaturation of Section 8 housing is putting a strain on the city’s services and image. But some who utilize the program say the city’s actions send the wrong message to people struggling to make ends meet.

Tammy Mason, a nurse with Acclaim Home Health, said she’s also concerned that the cost of her rent continues to rise and is strangling her budget. By the time she pays for her rent, there isn’t enough money left to pay for her utilities and other bills.

“You can’t afford it like you used to,” said Mason, a mother of three — ages 20, 19 and 12.

She has been in the Section 8 program for about five years, she said.

Another 40-year-old woman, who lives in the Robin Spring apartment complex, said she left the Middletown program and joined one in Warren County after she felt “like trash” in the city.

“I’m just trying to better myself,” said the woman who wanted to remain anonymous. She recently was laid off from Miami University and said she’s still looking for another job.

She said the program should be used as “a stepping stone,” and people shouldn’t stay on it forever. She said the finances of the tenants should be reviewed every couple of years to make sure they’re not “abusing the situation.”

She said people commonly get “sucked in” to the program. She believes landlords sometimes “jack up” the rent when they’re dealing with those on Section 8.

Her rent for a three-bedroom is $800 a month and she pays $80. She has been in the program for about eight years, she said.

Faith Heflin, 24, and her fiance, Greg Motto, 24, moved into the apartment complex last month, and expect to get out of the program once he graduates from Wright State University’s School of Medicine. She’s a music teacher at Mariemont Elementary School near Cincinnati, so they looked for an apartment in the voucher program midway between her workplace and Fairborn.

In their situation, she said, the voucher program is “very temporary.”

When asked about the program, she said they’ve been treated “very fairly.”

HUD recently identified five “substantive” deficiencies in the MPHA’s five-year and annual plan, which outlined the city’s desire to reduce its 1,662 housing choice vouchers by 1,008 through attrition. HUD has given the city until mid-August to address the deficiencies, which includes a requirement to hold a public hearing on the plan and document any comments or testimony given by attendees.

Councilman Josh Laubach agrees with city administration assessments that “we have an oversaturation of public housing in the city.” Statistics show that Middletown has more subsidized housing per capita than any city in Ohio. All subsidized housing accounts for 49.8 percent of Middletown’s total housing stock and Section 8 makes up 14.3 percent.

City officials say the cuts to Section 8 they are proposing would bring that number to a more manageable 10 percent.

But in the June 13 letter to the city rejecting its reduction plan, HUD officials maintained the city had not done enough to justify the voucher cuts or consider their impact on low-income families with children, minorities and persons with disabilities. In short, HUD’s letter seemed to be pointing out that the city had an obligation to take care of the poor people who were already calling the city home.

HUD spokeswoman Donna White said since the review is an investigation she couldn’t comment on specifics.

Staff writer Michael D. Pitman contributed to this report.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 9:13am
A few observations from this story....

"Tammy Mason, a nurse with Acclaim Home Health, said she’s also concerned that the cost of her rent continues to rise and is strangling her budget. By the time she pays for her rent, there isn’t enough money left to pay for her utilities and other bills.

“You can’t afford it like you used to,” said Mason, a mother of three — ages 20, 19 and 12.

She has been in the Section 8 program for about five years, she said"

I THOUGHT A NURSE'S SALARY WOULD PROVIDE A LIVABLE WAGE. SINCE SHE IS HAVING TROUBLE MAKING HER UTILITY BILLS, DOES THE 19 AND 20 YEAR OLD WORK TO HELP OUT WITH THE FINANCES? STORY DOESN'T SAY. SHE HAS BEEN ON SECTION 8 FOR 5 YEARS......SHOULDN'T THERE BE A TIME LIMIT TO PREVENT THE POSSIBLILITY OF SOME BECOMING "LIFERS"?

"Another 40-year-old woman, who lives in the Robin Spring apartment complex, said she left the Middletown program and joined one in Warren County after she felt “like trash” in the city.

“I’m just trying to better myself,” said the woman who wanted to remain anonymous. She recently was laid off from Miami University and said she’s still looking for another job.

She said the program should be used as “a stepping stone,” and people shouldn’t stay on it forever. She said the finances of the tenants should be reviewed every couple of years to make sure they’re not “abusing the situation.”

She said people commonly get “sucked in” to the program. She believes landlords sometimes “jack up” the rent when they’re dealing with those on Section 8.

Her rent for a three-bedroom is $800 a month and she pays $80. She has been in the program for about eight years, she said"

SHE HAS BEEN ON SECTION 8 FOR 8 YEARS? SHE ALSO SAYS THAT THE PROGRAM SHOULD BE USED AS A STEPPING STONE. AT WHAT POINT DOES IT GO FROM A STEPPING STONE TO A TOTAL DEPENDENCE FOREVER? ARE THERE NO CONTROLS WITH SECTION 8 TO PREVENT LANDLORDS FROM CHARGING TOO MUCH IN RENT? PERHAPS THESE LANDLORDS WHO WANT TO CHARGE EXHORBATANT RATES SHOULD BE MADE TO LOWER THE RENT CHARGE OR BE REMOVED FROM THE PROGRAM. THEIR CHOICE. THE MIAMI UNIVERSITY JOB DIDN'T PAY ENOUGH TO KEEP HER OFF SECTION 8?

"Faith Heflin, 24, and her fiance, Greg Motto, 24, moved into the apartment complex last month, and expect to get out of the program once he graduates from Wright State University’s School of Medicine. She’s a music teacher at Mariemont Elementary School near Cincinnati, so they looked for an apartment in the voucher program midway between her workplace and Fairborn"

I THOUGHT YOU COULDN'T HAVE A BOYFRIEND LIVING WITH YOU ON THIS PROGRAM.....FIANCE, BUT NOT MARRIED AS YET, RIGHT? A MUSIC TEACHER, NO DEPENDENTS AND ON SECTION 8? WHAT KIND OF SALARIES DO THEY PAY IN THE MARIEMONT SCHOOL SYSTEM TO LAND HER ON SECTION 8?

DO SOME OF THESE SITUATIONS SEEM A TAD BIT OUT OF SYNC?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic