Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, April 25, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Billiam View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown
    Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 9:55am
Hello.  I just signed up for this forum and I wanted to get some feedback from the existing members about the current state of affairs in the city of Middletown.

On a competing forum I've noted many people deride Middletown as being a lifeless, declining city filled with Section 8 housing, rising violent crime and fleeing businesses.  But I've noted that a couple of people have also said that Middletown is starting to turn around and that new residents and small businesses are opening up in the downtown area.  One of these people is in fact a newcomer from the northeast and he seems somewhat optimistic that Middletown is poised to see some growth.

Currently I live out of the area but I have recently purchased a home in NKY in a spot that I thought would be just what I was looking for in an urban environment.    But in the last few months a crime problem has cropped up there and I am now at least thinking that I should either look at buying another home in a quieter spot in NKY or look at another community entirely.

If I make a move to Middletown I do plan to develop a small business (proprietorship with a few volunteers) that would benefit the city and its businesses by promoting it and its assets to the residents in the city and via the web to outsiders.  I want to be sure that I would be moving to a viable city that has a chance to support it.  I have not been in Middletown for more than a decade and I can only base any opinion that I may have on what I remember it being during my last visit.  

At this moment, I just received an email from a friend that lives in Princeton Township and he said that Middletown is in his eyes just as depressed now as when I last visited over a decade ago.  But that is only his opinion.  I'm a firm believer that to make a community or neighborhood better, you have to roll up your sleeves and make it happen.

Any input from the local residents or business people will be appreciated. If there are any positive signs of progress please let me here the good as well as the bad.  Thanks.
Billiam
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 11:08am
Good morning Billiam.

I was born and raised in Middletown 64 years ago. I attended Middletown schools in the 60's when they were respected and decent. Miami-Middletown was the key educational opportunity after I left high school. Middletown's school system has deteriorated over the years as to quality of education IMO. I left in 1968 for the military and stayed away until 1985 when I returned with my family. It had changed dramatically by then, a shadow of itself as to any logic or common sense in operation, growth and opportunity for the people living here. The city has totally changed, going from a tremendous family oriented/business friendly/prosperous/respected town in the area to one of desperation, non-logical development, inept attempts at growth, control by a few for the benefit of a few with the majority left out of the picture, business UN-friendly, low income saturated Section 8 stagnation. It is not respected anymore. They, and the poor economy have driven out the better paying jobs (with the exception of AK Steel) and we are left with low wage retail/service oriented opportunities for the people living here.

If your intention is to start a business in town, I would suggest you read some of the topics on this forum. It will indicate that there is a major roadblock in initiating a new business from one Marty Kohler, the Planning Director. He has his hands in most business affairs and there has been discussion pertaining to his desire to sponsor only business development of his choosing. The discussion suggests that if he doesn't think your business "fits" into the "plan", he will make it difficult to gain any traction here. There is a stubborn nature to this city government as they listen to only those they deem worthy of listening to. A tendency to place people on "non-level" playing fields when dealing out policy. Friends of the city get special favors that others do not is the feeling here.

This assessment is not balanced. It wouldn't be from my experiences in following the city leadership for over three decades. Alot of bad things have happened to a once prosperous city......and alot of it the fault of the leadership and their inept decisions. I wouldn't locate a business here and I like this town for what it used to be and am sad at the current state of affairs. They have ruined it for everyone. All JMO.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 12:18pm
If you're as close as KNY, why don't you just drive up here and look around?  One thing is certain, if you're spooked by a little crime in NKY, you may not like Middletown.
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 12:33pm
I have lived here for a handful of years and must say, it is not as bad as the outside perception.  There are things that will drive you mad, but things that make it a better place to live than other places I have been.  First, the bad (then we can go over the good so we finish on an upswing):

1. No leaf pickup (irritates me to no end, im a bit of a hippy when it comes to yard waste, I also do not understand the street cleaner who gets the roads wet....and nothing else)

2. A lot of things are on a miniature scale. The Kroger Marketplace is nice, but smaller and less selection. Same with Meijer, Target, and Lowes.

3. Speaking of Lowes, they are pretty bad at customer service. The other option in town is Denny's lumber, but they close early on Saturday, when you need them most.

4. Stray dogs. Either a) owners do not care about their pets, or b) there are a ton of dogs that are breeding somewhere making for a lot of strays. I  chase about a dog a week out of my yard.

5.  Property taxes. We shoulder, as homeowners, the entire burden of the school district, or so it seems. I pay more semi-annual in taxes than I would on a home in many of the suburbs of Dayton and Cincinnati. 

Now the good:

1. Small town prices (not on property taxes).  Building permits are cheap, house inspections are free (or, they were when I was moving in).

2. Your neighbors (at least in my area) care and will look out for you.  When we moved in, four different neighbors came over and dropped off a key the prior owner gave them to watch their dog when they were not in town.  Most of the block came and introduced themselves and have been great to us.

3. Access to interesting things in different locals.  Sadly, some of the fun things exist in communities outside middletown. Monroe outlets, Franklin for some fun dining, and more. 

4. Excellent park systems (not just middletown). Like hiking, check the Germantown parks. Sunset park is a good place to play with pets and kids, you are close to a bike trail and more.  

5. Lots of runners and fitness nuts. If being active is your thing. there are many run-friendly places to go. There are two YMCA branches, and like I said above, hiking and a pretty nice bike trail.

6. Nice local places. You have to discover some of them (thanks Yelp) but when you do, you will find some gems. For example, you like micro brews? check the smoke shop downtown. 

If you have any more questions let me know. I will say, I started a landscaping business here two years ago and it took off (I had to close it due to time constraints, but had I kept it going, it would have been huge by now). We made around $20,000 in one quarter in our first year. I will say, I never dealt with anyone else about it. I had people who helped with licenses and taxes. I never sought help from Middletown to make it run.  I do not know how they help / hinder small businesses.

Good luck. 

Itsa me, mario!
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 1:17pm
The best way to describe Middletown, it has a mixture of everybody in it. From the the extremely rich to the extremely poor all living in it. It also has some really neat old houses and architecture on Central Ave. and South Main Street. As well as some new housing developments north and east of the city. As long as you don't live on the south and west end of Middletown by AK-Steel you will be fine. Most of the neighborhoods are mixed neighborhoods with different cultures, income brackets, and ages all living in them. Which I like as a change from Springboro which I use to live in.

I mainly moved here because of it's location between my job and my fiances job, as well as all the conveniences by I-75 and only being a few minutes away from the Dayton Mall and the Tri-County Mall. We are just about equal distance away from Dayton and Cincinnati, and only a little over an hour away from Columbus.

Also the houses here in Middletown are very cheap, the average price of a home in Middletown is less than $100,000. I got my 1975 Split Level house with 4 bedroom house with 14,000 square feet of land as a foreclosure for $90,000.

The Main down side of Middletown is the Taxes, Schools, and the conditions of the Roads, and Sidewalks. And the not knowing if you are living next to someone who takes care of their house or lets it go to waste.

I would say Middletown is defiantly at a cross roads. They can either keep growing, reduce the number of section 8, and be smart about redeveloping and reviving the infrastructure of other areas of Middletown, Or go down the road of attracting anyone and anything to the area in the name of development, and continue to focus on Downtown that very few actually go to unless they need cheap GAS, or need to pay a water bill, or go to the post office. And continue to let the roads and sidewalks deteriorate to gravel.
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 2:00pm
Billiam:

There are a lot of very nice houses for sale in Middletown very cheap, yet they have been on the market for a long time.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 4:37pm
IMO you will do fine if you dont get anybody in the city building involved.They will nickle and dime you to death.LOL
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 10:24pm
Billiam: I'm curious: you mention Princeton Township which is in New Jersey (there is no Princeton Township near Middletown Ohio---only Liberty Township that has a crossroads area named Princeton/Road/Pike, etc.).  Could you or your friend actually be thinking of Middletown, New Jersey (which is 29 miles from Princeton Township/Princeton, New Jersey)?  chmoore
Billiam View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by chmoore1 chmoore1 wrote:

Billiam: I'm curious: you mention Princeton Township which is in New Jersey (there is no Princeton Township near Middletown Ohio---only Liberty Township that has a crossroads area named Princeton/Road/Pike, etc.).  Could you or your friend actually be thinking of Middletown, New Jersey (which is 29 miles from Princeton Township/Princeton, New Jersey)?  chmoore

My mistake.  He lives on the road you mentioned midway between Hamilton and Middletown.
Billiam
Billiam View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Neil Barille Neil Barille wrote:

If you're as close as KNY, why don't you just drive up here and look around?  One thing is certain, if you're spooked by a little crime in NKY, you may not like Middletown.

Not there yet.  Just bought a home there and I am in the process of doing some work to get it ready for my next home.  But a recent crime way in that neighborhood (violent crime) plus having someone throw a rock through my living room window has me starting to wonder whether or not I should move there.  I just dealt with a tremendous amount of crime in a rural town in Missouri where I owned a home for three years.  I do not need to go through that again.  The crap going on around my house and even my own property was unbelievable.  Next time I get down to NKY I will try to drive up to Middletown and take a look at it.
Billiam
Billiam View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Good morning Billiam.

I was born and raised in Middletown 64 years ago. I attended Middletown schools in the 60's when they were respected and decent. Miami-Middletown was the key educational opportunity after I left high school. Middletown's school system has deteriorated over the years as to quality of education IMO. I left in 1968 for the military and stayed away until 1985 when I returned with my family. It had changed dramatically by then, a shadow of itself as to any logic or common sense in operation, growth and opportunity for the people living here. The city has totally changed, going from a tremendous family oriented/business friendly/prosperous/respected town in the area to one of desperation, non-logical development, inept attempts at growth, control by a few for the benefit of a few with the majority left out of the picture, business UN-friendly, low income saturated Section 8 stagnation. It is not respected anymore. They, and the poor economy have driven out the better paying jobs (with the exception of AK Steel) and we are left with low wage retail/service oriented opportunities for the people living here.

If your intention is to start a business in town, I would suggest you read some of the topics on this forum. It will indicate that there is a major roadblock in initiating a new business from one Marty Kohler, the Planning Director. He has his hands in most business affairs and there has been discussion pertaining to his desire to sponsor only business development of his choosing. The discussion suggests that if he doesn't think your business "fits" into the "plan", he will make it difficult to gain any traction here. There is a stubborn nature to this city government as they listen to only those they deem worthy of listening to. A tendency to place people on "non-level" playing fields when dealing out policy. Friends of the city get special favors that others do not is the feeling here.

This assessment is not balanced. It wouldn't be from my experiences in following the city leadership for over three decades. Alot of bad things have happened to a once prosperous city......and alot of it the fault of the leadership and their inept decisions. I wouldn't locate a business here and I like this town for what it used to be and am sad at the current state of affairs. They have ruined it for everyone. All JMO.

The politics you describe are a problem if they are indeed true.  This will lead to the downfall of a community.  I lived in a small town in western NY a decade ago and the recent former Mayor of that town used his office to deliberately keep out another retailer that would have competed head to head with his own.  That kind of attitude ultimately drives business out and also customers and only serves to destroy the tax base.  This sounds like a similar situation.
Billiam
Billiam View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by itsamee itsamee wrote:

I have lived here for a handful of years and must say, it is not as bad as the outside perception.  There are things that will drive you mad, but things that make it a better place to live than other places I have been.  First, the bad (then we can go over the good so we finish on an upswing):

1. No leaf pickup (irritates me to no end, im a bit of a hippy when it comes to yard waste, I also do not understand the street cleaner who gets the roads wet....and nothing else)

2. A lot of things are on a miniature scale. The Kroger Marketplace is nice, but smaller and less selection. Same with Meijer, Target, and Lowes.

3. Speaking of Lowes, they are pretty bad at customer service. The other option in town is Denny's lumber, but they close early on Saturday, when you need them most.

4. Stray dogs. Either a) owners do not care about their pets, or b) there are a ton of dogs that are breeding somewhere making for a lot of strays. I  chase about a dog a week out of my yard.

5.  Property taxes. We shoulder, as homeowners, the entire burden of the school district, or so it seems. I pay more semi-annual in taxes than I would on a home in many of the suburbs of Dayton and Cincinnati. 

Now the good:

1. Small town prices (not on property taxes).  Building permits are cheap, house inspections are free (or, they were when I was moving in).

2. Your neighbors (at least in my area) care and will look out for you.  When we moved in, four different neighbors came over and dropped off a key the prior owner gave them to watch their dog when they were not in town.  Most of the block came and introduced themselves and have been great to us.

3. Access to interesting things in different locals.  Sadly, some of the fun things exist in communities outside middletown. Monroe outlets, Franklin for some fun dining, and more. 

4. Excellent park systems (not just middletown). Like hiking, check the Germantown parks. Sunset park is a good place to play with pets and kids, you are close to a bike trail and more.  

5. Lots of runners and fitness nuts. If being active is your thing. there are many run-friendly places to go. There are two YMCA branches, and like I said above, hiking and a pretty nice bike trail.

6. Nice local places. You have to discover some of them (thanks Yelp) but when you do, you will find some gems. For example, you like micro brews? check the smoke shop downtown. 

If you have any more questions let me know. I will say, I started a landscaping business here two years ago and it took off (I had to close it due to time constraints, but had I kept it going, it would have been huge by now). We made around $20,000 in one quarter in our first year. I will say, I never dealt with anyone else about it. I had people who helped with licenses and taxes. I never sought help from Middletown to make it run.  I do not know how they help / hinder small businesses.

Good luck. 

Thanks.  The negatives you mention would not be an issue with me.  The positives sound great and in fact the neighbors I have in Covington have also been largely an asset and I appreciate that fact.  I do prefer to be in a place where your neighbors look out for you and don't try to destroy your life or ignore a problem that occurs thinking it might go away.  See my post about the crime in the small town in Missouri where I used to live.  Apathy was and is running rampant there.
Billiam
Billiam View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 12:01am
Originally posted by ktf1179 ktf1179 wrote:

The best way to describe Middletown, it has a mixture of everybody in it. From the the extremely rich to the extremely poor all living in it. It also has some really neat old houses and architecture on Central Ave. and South Main Street. As well as some new housing developments north and east of the city. As long as you don't live on the south and west end of Middletown by AK-Steel you will be fine. Most of the neighborhoods are mixed neighborhoods with different cultures, income brackets, and ages all living in them. Which I like as a change from Springboro which I use to live in.

I mainly moved here because of it's location between my job and my fiances job, as well as all the conveniences by I-75 and only being a few minutes away from the Dayton Mall and the Tri-County Mall. We are just about equal distance away from Dayton and Cincinnati, and only a little over an hour away from Columbus.

Also the houses here in Middletown are very cheap, the average price of a home in Middletown is less than $100,000. I got my 1975 Split Level house with 4 bedroom house with 14,000 square feet of land as a foreclosure for $90,000.

The Main down side of Middletown is the Taxes, Schools, and the conditions of the Roads, and Sidewalks. And the not knowing if you are living next to someone who takes care of their house or lets it go to waste.

I would say Middletown is defiantly at a cross roads. They can either keep growing, reduce the number of section 8, and be smart about redeveloping and reviving the infrastructure of other areas of Middletown, Or go down the road of attracting anyone and anything to the area in the name of development, and continue to focus on Downtown that very few actually go to unless they need cheap GAS, or need to pay a water bill, or go to the post office. And continue to let the roads and sidewalks deteriorate to gravel.

Thanks.  This is also very useful information.  

How is the downtown area in terms of crime and livability?  I'd would want to buy a home near downtown if at all possible because I need a central location to live and then work.
Billiam
Billiam View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Richard Saunders Richard Saunders wrote:

Billiam:

There are a lot of very nice houses for sale in Middletown very cheap, yet they have been on the market for a long time.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why.

Obviously there can be more than one answer to that question.  Since I am not that familiar with Middletown these days perhaps someone can enlighten me.  

I guess I could look at it as the glass half empty and half full.   Hamilton seems to be rebounding and is back on its feet and this may be a good time to get into MIddletown if there appears to be some positive developments there as well.  Since I am on a fact finding mission right now, that is what I aim to find out.  Big smile
Billiam
Billiam View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 12:05am
Originally posted by LMAO LMAO wrote:

IMO you will do fine if you dont get anybody in the city building involved.They will nickle and dime you to death.LOL

Just trying to justify their existence and paycheck no doubt.  :-)
Billiam
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 1:54am
I just had my livingroom window shot out while I was watching TV
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 2:54am
Billiam
Most of the naysayers on MUSA are just negative people that make statements which are not based on fact.
If I were you I would check out the community yourself.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 4:57am
midd town 29 writes
Most of the naysayers on MUSA are just negative people that make statements which are not based on fact.LOL ooo boy that's really funny... I also was born and raised in midd town,(50 years) my mother was born and raised in midd town, she's 82 now...moved out of Middletown almost 7 years ago because of the crime that was going on then all around me, its only worse now!!!  Middletown was a decent city at one time!! not so now!!! the big wigs that have ran this city for all these years have made Middletown over taxed and useless!!! was making trips once in awhile to midd town but really have no reason to return anymore, nothing there IMO unless your looking for some of those fancy hoes downtown, or a fix to shoot up your arm... you can go east, west,north and south of midd town city limits and its all useless...NOPE I won't be returning.... and that's a fact...
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 8:05am
Once you pass the street Belmont (off Central headed toward downtown) you get a lot more petty crime (vandalism, items stolen from vehicles, etc.) From what I understand, you also see an increase in domestic disputes (not like its crazy or overwhelming, it is just more noticeable). The Alemada and Sunset park areas are great for central locality and nice, easy living. I know, well, because that is where I live. 
Itsa me, mario!
Billiam View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 8:34am
Originally posted by itsamee itsamee wrote:

Once you pass the street Belmont (off Central headed toward downtown) you get a lot more petty crime (vandalism, items stolen from vehicles, etc.) From what I understand, you also see an increase in domestic disputes (not like its crazy or overwhelming, it is just more noticeable). The Alemada and Sunset park areas are great for central locality and nice, easy living. I know, well, because that is where I live. 

Thanks itsamee for all the info.  I am certain I will have additional questions after I've had a chance to revisit the city.  Will do so during my next trip that way in August.

I'm not too worried about petty crime since that can happen anywhere.  The violent crime is another matter.  I know there are better and worse neighborhoods in Covington just like Middletown has its good and bad parts.  
Billiam
Billiam View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

I just had my livingroom window shot out while I was watching TV

If you don't mind my asking, which neighborhood do you call home?  Is this a random act of crime or do you think someone that has an issue with you did this?  That appears to be the case with my house in Covington.  A guy with an apparent issue with me likely is the culprit according to my neighbor across the street.
Billiam
Billiam View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 8:38am
Originally posted by bumper bumper wrote:

midd town 29 writes
Most of the naysayers on MUSA are just negative people that make statements which are not based on fact.LOL ooo boy that's really funny... I also was born and raised in midd town,(50 years) my mother was born and raised in midd town, she's 82 now...moved out of Middletown almost 7 years ago because of the crime that was going on then all around me, its only worse now!!!  Middletown was a decent city at one time!! not so now!!! the big wigs that have ran this city for all these years have made Middletown over taxed and useless!!! was making trips once in awhile to midd town but really have no reason to return anymore, nothing there IMO unless your looking for some of those fancy hoes downtown, or a fix to shoot up your arm... you can go east, west,north and south of midd town city limits and its all useless...NOPE I won't be returning.... and that's a fact...

Thanks for your perspective.  Unfortunately the negative aspects you mention are also common in almost any city this size nowadays including smaller ones.  I'm going to visit it again and see for myself the present condition of the city.
Billiam
Billiam View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

Billiam
Most of the naysayers on MUSA are just negative people that make statements which are not based on fact.
If I were you I would check out the community yourself.

Yes, I will do this.  I am thinking it may not be as bad as some people say.  Given the kind of terrible experiences I've had in my recent past and present in Missouri I don't hesitate to berate the place as being filled with nasty people among other things.  But other people will swear that Missouri, or at least the Kansas City region where I live is a great place filled with great people.  Since I spent a couple of months in Middletown about 13 years ago and didn't run into ANY problems with the local people, I think my personality and character are going to be more accepted in your area (and also Covington) than they ever have been in the KC area.
Billiam
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 9:14am
things have changed a lot in 13 years
as a lifer here, I see a lot getting better--a lot not so good with no easy solution
you can have a nice life here if you work outside of town especially
shopping amenities are nil, though not far away
entertainment is sparse but getting better
incrediblly lowball pricing on very nice homes
city govt. is weak on priorities and strong with insiders and cronyism
look me up if you want a complete and honest tour

jmo
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2013 at 9:17am
Vivian, so sorry to hear that criminals hit your home last night.  You are one of the very few bright lights on this blog.  It's almost criminal, too, that Mr. Atkins ignores using HUD funds wisely in neighborhoods such as yours.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic