Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, April 19, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SECTION 8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
OVER SIGHT View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OVER SIGHT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 10:35am

Council weighs options for response to HUD

By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN — 

The city is not at risk of losing federal funding or being sued by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development if it proceeds with a plan to eliminate 1,008 Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers over the next five years — at least not right now, said Community Revitalization Director Doug Adkins.

“You’re at no risk right this minute,” Adkins told Middletown City Council at the board’s Tuesday meeting. “Zero.”

Adkins presented council members with five options for responding to a Dec. 21 letter the city received from HUD about its plan to cut Section 8 vouchers. In the letter, HUD officials told city officials that they needed to either fill Middletown’s available vouchers, transfer the city’s voucher program to the Butler Metropolitan Housing Agency or face possible legal action.

Adkins told council he disagreed with characterizations of HUD’s letter as being “strongly worded.” He said he thought the letter was “diplomatically written” given each side’s differing point of view on the matter.

“No fair housing or civil rights threats were made, no regulatory violations were cited,” said Adkins, a former attorney with the U.S. Labor Department. “We have been politely asked if we would like to walk away and give our program to Butler Metro… As an attorney, I’m looking for, where’s the hammer?”Cry

SEEMS LIKE TO ME THOR HAS CAME TO TOWN Ouch HEY DOUG DOES IT HURT?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 11:43am
“You’re at no risk right this minute,” Adkins told Middletown City Council at the board’s Tuesday meeting. “Zero.”

No risk RIGHT THIS MINUTE? Wow, now there's some confidence for council to make a decision. HOW ABOUT TOMORROW DOUG. ANY RISK THEN?

"Adkins told council he disagreed with characterizations of HUD’s letter as being “strongly worded.” He said he thought the letter was “diplomatically written” given each side’s differing point of view on the matter."

NO, DOUGIE, HERE'S WHAT THEY SAID IN THEIR LETTER.....

HUD officials told city officials that they needed to either fill Middletown’s available vouchers, transfer the city’s voucher program to the Butler Metropolitan Housing Agency or face possible legal action.

LOOKS LIKE THE CITY HAS THREE CHOICES AND THERE IS SOME URGENCY AS TO MAKING UP THEIR MIND IN MAKING THAT CHOICE.....EITHER FILL 'EM, TRANSFER 'EM, OR FACE LEGAL ACTION. NO AMBIGUITY THERE PAL.

I'M TELLIN' YA COUNCIL, IF YOU LISTEN TO DOUG'S ADVISE AND PROCRASTINATE ON YOUR DECISION, YOU ALL MIGHT FIND YOURSELVES IN FEDERAL COURT FASTER THAN YOU CAN WHISTLE DIXIE. I KNOW YOU HAVE EGO ISSUES HAVING DONE THINGS YOUR WAY FOR SO LONG, BUT I BELIEVE THE FEDS CAN TRUMP YOUR EGOS AND THERE IS A GOOD POSSIBILITY THAT YOU WON'T LIKE THE OUTCOME AS IT MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO THE CITY AS TO FINES. YOU DUG THE SECTION 8 HOLE

NOW, PAY THE PIPER.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 12:47pm
I expect this to be settled constructively, and not in a punitive manner.
Will we lose the program? Maybe
Will we lose the vouchers? Doubtful but hopeful
They are looking for agreeable resolution instead of confrontation.
Don't expect any pound of flesh!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 1:07pm

MIDDLETOWN — 

The city is not at risk of losing federal funding or being sued by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development if it proceeds with a plan to eliminate 1,008 Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers over the next five years — at least not right now, said Community Revitalization Director Doug Adkins.

Adkins presented council members with five options for responding to a Dec. 21 letter the city received from HUD about its plan to cut Section 8 vouchers. In the letter, HUD officials told city officials that they needed to either fill Middletown’s available vouchers, transfer the city’s voucher program to the Butler Metropolitan Housing Agency or face possible legal action.

Adkins told council he disagreed with characterizations of HUD’s letter as being “strongly worded.” He said he thought the letter was “diplomatically written” given each side’s differing point of view on the matter.

“No fair housing or civil rights threats were made, no regulatory violations were cited,” said Adkins, a former attorney with the U.S. Labor Department. “We have been politely asked if we would like to walk away and give our program to Butler Metro… As an attorney, I’m looking for, where’s the hammer?”
    HUD stated in 2010 that they would not reduce the number of vouchers in Middletown in answer to City Halls 96 page analysis of the Section 8 Program.
    Then Dougie used the program transfer from CONSOC to Nelson and Assoc. for not filling the vouchers and HUD said nothing.
    The above article is word for word the very same statement that Dougie made in front of council six months ago…sooo why would council need a closed door meeting to hear this very same information again.?
    Well Dougie what are you, Ms Judy and council members going to do when HUD presents you with a long list of violations? Do you really believe that HUD after spending all this time and money will forgive and forget and let
Middletown keep the Section 8 Program so you can keep your job?
    Where is all the money needed for this legal action and these attorney fees going to come from for you and your ego to fight HUD?

Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 1:13pm
Doug's misguided and utterly wasteful actions of the past five years has already further harmed the city.  Anything that HUD may do (not do) will only be icing on the cake.  In other words, so many lost opportunities and poor stewardship of our federal tax dollars.  Remember the famous quote of Doug when asked about financial management of the HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP), "we can lose up to $75,000 per each housing acquisition, rehabilitation and resale project."  Urban Renewal is alive and well in Middletown.  In my opinion, he can take it to Mason where he lives.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

I expect this to be settled constructively, and not in a punitive manner.
Will we lose the program? Maybe
Will we lose the vouchers? Doubtful but hopeful
They are looking for agreeable resolution instead of confrontation.
Don't expect any pound of flesh!

Spider, I'd like to think that you are correct in your thinking. I have my doubts given the stubborn nature of the city leaders and council and their insistence on having it their way. Wouldn't surprise me that in the final chapter, the fed hammer falls on the city and the city honchos will be in denial til the end. I'd like to see the program administration go elsewhere. Would rather see the program dissappear to the level we are suppose to have. All of this could have been avoided and no reason for reduction talk if past/current city leaders had accepted no more than the correct number of vouchers for a city this size. But......
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 1:44pm

Could Aj have seen the writing on the wall and bail before the feds put the hammer down?

LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

Could Aj have seen the writing on the wall and bail before the feds put the hammer down?

Was thinking the same.Hope that they give them to Butler County and are dear Council can thank Dougie.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 2:34pm
Vet I think you were right in your message to council that is the warning they need to heed. I think they are in such denial and so arrogant that if penalties come down it's going to come as a shock. What are the other attorneys on council doing,sitting on their hands? Will this help Judy on down the road? Take Dougie with you.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 3:09pm
Totally agree about poor/ misguided use of tax $$.
Still-- the current group did not bring on the majority of the section 8 situation, and IMO the program is being somewhat scapegoated for many of our other municipal ills.

The "losing $75,000 per house" thing has always bothered me, so much that mr.A and I had a STRONG discussion about that at a charter review meeting session.

I simply don't expect the hammer to come down in a punishing manner.
The goal is to resolve the situation to the best result for everyone.
Govt. is not always out to attack(well... Did I really say that?)
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 3:39pm
Three way trades are always fun in sports. So let's agree to transfer control to BMHA who will then hire Dougie from us, HUD agrees that BMHA will be allowed to reduce from 1600 vouchers to around 800 over an agreed upon period of time, and HUD agress not to fine or prosecute city officials. Done.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 4:23pm
HUD agrees that BMHA will be allowed to reduce from 1600 vouchers to around 800 over an agreed upon period of time, and HUD agress not to fine or prosecute city officials. Done.
The demand in Butler County for affordable houseing is greater now than in 2010.
HUD will NEVER agree to a recuction in  the Section 8 vouchers..they have never did it before and they are not going to do it for Dougie.
Observer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 4:30pm
Just a few years ago most on this forum were citing Sec. 8 as a huge problem in Middletown.  They called on council to change direction.  If my memory serves me correctly several council candidates in 2009 had Sec. 8 reduction as a major platform of their campaign.  Now just a few years later this forum seems to sit back a laugh has HUD has begun to fight back.  It seems to me council listened to the community, and many on this forum, and is trying to change course.  Genuine question....why did opinions on here change so quickly?
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

HUD agrees that BMHA will be allowed to reduce from 1600 vouchers to around 800 over an agreed upon period of time, and HUD agress not to fine or prosecute city officials. Done.
The demand in Butler County for affordable houseing is greater now than in 2010.
HUD will NEVER agree to a recuction in  the Section 8 vouchers..they have never did it before and they are not going to do it for Dougie.
Gotta love the Democratic-approved terms like "affordable housing".  For most of these people they only have to come up with $40, $50, or $80 per month.  Heck yeah that's "affordable".  Does that make my much larger house payment "unaffordable"??  The latest joke is the HIGH QUALITY affordable housing demands that crop up every time a big city developer wants to put up a new skyscraper or downtown project. 

It's the era of handouts. 
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 5:22pm
As I understand the issue of reducing the vouchers has not been fought by landlords. The real issue has be the vilifying and criminalizing of the landlords and the participants in the program. The illegal tracking of water bills, the asking by police "is this a Sec 8 house"when they respond to a call. It's the illegal procedures being instated from Doug Adkins office. He was asked point blank at a council meeting about that and he admitted you are not allowed to do that. Some landlords have had this happen I'm told. There are violations through his office..If you want to believe what he is telling everyone you may be surprised at the out come also. IMO
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Observer Observer wrote:

Just a few years ago most on this forum were citing Sec. 8 as a huge problem in Middletown.  They called on council to change direction.  If my memory serves me correctly several council candidates in 2009 had Sec. 8 reduction as a major platform of their campaign.  Now just a few years later this forum seems to sit back a laugh has HUD has begun to fight back.  It seems to me council listened to the community, and many on this forum, and is trying to change course.  Genuine question....why did opinions on here change so quickly?

I agree with council for trying to reduce the number of section 8 vouchers and realize that most of them are not responsible for adding more vouchers over the years, but there is no way in hades that Obama and his HUD minions are going to let the city or county reduce these vouchers. At this point it is a political issue and with elections coming up there will be a politician (or two) that rides into town to save the poor and down trodden. If the vouchers required the occupant to have a job while they lived there I would bet there wouldn't be that much of a need for the vouchers.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 5:55pm

Well, let's see Observer. You cite a 2009 date as a Section 8 reducing platform for the candidates. This is now 2013 and the council and city leaders just started talking about cutting the voucher levels in 2012/2013 didn't they? If so, that would make it three years with no talk on voucher reductions. Did they really listen to the community and this forum as you state? Why did they wait so long?

Don't know about others on this forum but I've never changed my tune on Section 8 from the beginning. I didn't want it in town when it started and I stand by that thinking as of today. If it was my decision, I would still be unhappy with the correct amount of around 700 or so. He--, 30 would be too much for me. IN GENERAL AND TO STEREOTYPE....I have always said that Sec. 8 (and the drug issues) are associated with bringing a ghetto mentality/ increased crime to town, it contributes in destroying a town's reputation/image as a decent middle class city and does nothing positive in helping this city out of the mess it is in and both issues usually attract low income, handout type individuals who bring their friends from out of town to help with the crime. It is all PERCEPTION by non-residents that if there is an overabundance of this segment of society in a town, the town is considered the bottom of the barrel. That is what I believe many surrounding towns now think of us. It is sad seeing the city going from a hard-working blue collar industrial town with some dignity in the mix to one of low income, crime-ridden, lower echelon clientele creating a breeding ground for every unwanted activity most cities wouldn't tolerate nor want. If Sec. 8 had any advantages, wouldn't Mason, Springboro, West Chester, Fairfield and others done what Middletown did? Middletown officials were the only fools who bit on the excessive vouchers, right?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 6:30pm
So again I say thanks Doug for declaring our city 54% poverty. That certainly helps our city's image.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 7:36pm
Vet
The reduction of Section 8 Vouchers started in 2010 when City Hall did the 96 page Section 8 Analysis and mailed it to HUD.
HUDs reply in 2010 stated that because of the amount of proverty in Middletown they would NOT reduce the vouchers
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 9:47pm
The city let more poor people in and then are prohibited from reducing vouchers because, lo & behold, there are too many poor in town.  These voucher residents came from somewhere -- so why can't some of them move away?  Amazing how many of us have to transfer for our jobs or drive long distances to them but these people getting free rent can't possibly be inconvenienced by taking their TAXPAYER funded voucher and go to nearby town.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 6:44am
Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

The city let more poor people in and then are prohibited from reducing vouchers because, lo & behold, there are too many poor in town.  These voucher residents came from somewhere -- so why can't some of them move away?  Amazing how many of us have to transfer for our jobs or drive long distances to them but these people getting free rent can't possibly be inconvenienced by taking their TAXPAYER funded voucher and go to nearby town.

Bill.

Ya gotta love the government's logic here. THEY acknowledge that this community is poverty stricken. SO, to add to the misery, they insist on saturating the city with even more poverty. Yep, the folks running HUD are the poster children for the overall thinking of the lousy government, be it city, state or the feds. No wonder we are in such bad shape in this country. No one running the show at any level, that has a clue how to make decisions based on any common sense.
Observer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 9:03am
Vet,

I thought it started much earlier than Feb. 2013.  I'll trust Vivian's date of 2010 which would be just after those running in 2009 were sworn in.  I'll give this current Council credit for fighting this battle and those that have been advocating a reduction in numbers should as well.  If we are going to point out the failures we need to also be able to give credit where it is due.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 9:47am

Vet,

I thought it started much earlier than Feb. 2013.  I'll trust Vivian's date of 2010 which would be just after those running in 2009 were sworn in.  I'll give this current Council credit for fighting this battle and those that have been advocating a reduction in numbers should as well.  If we are going to point out the failures we need to also be able to give credit where it is due.

AGREE OBSERVER. CREDIT GOES OUT TO THE CURRENT COUNCIL FOR TRYING TO CORRECT THE MISTAKES OF PREVIOUS COUNCILS AND CITY ADMIN. JUST SEEMS LIKE IT WAS MORE RECENT THAN 2010 THAT THEY STARTED AN ATTEMPT TO REDUCE THE VOUCHERS. MY MISTAKE. WHEN DID OLSEN LEAVE? HOW LONG HAS GILLELAND AND COMPANY BEEN IN CHARGE? WASN'T SHE AROUND WHEN THE ESCALATION OF VOUCHERS WERE HAPPENING AND IF SO, WHY DID SHE NOT ATTEMPT TO REDUCE THEM THEN?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 10:21am

Gentlemen
High job loses, decline in population, empty housing stock and high poverty levels where already in
Middletown
before City Hall requested the last 900 additional vouchers. Section 8 did not cause these problems.

Olsen, Becker,Huseman and then Gilleland were the recent city managers.

The June 2010 City of Middletown, Section 8 Analysis is on Mr. Adkins web site.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 10:54am

July 2, 2012
Monday

Gentlemen
    In 2010 Mr. Adkins sent a 96 page report to HUD requesting a reduction in the Section 8 Housing Vouchers which HUD refused. Here is the link to the complete response from HUD .
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohcmiddl/2010-HUDResponse.htm
    Records now show that almost 3 million dollars are now sitting in several HUD accounts while the areas of greatest need have received no funding. It is against HUD rules for these funds to be stockpiled while Mr. Adkins states that he does not have funding to solve the many problems in our neighborhoods.
    Why do we now need the Land Banking Program when we have not utilized these HUD funds over the past three years to demolish more blighted properties?    

HUD Response to Mr. Adkins 96 page report
July 16, 2010
Page 4-5

“The housing and neighborhood conditions identified in the City’s analysis are real. Blaming the voucher program for these conditions however, is, in the words of former HUD Secretary Dr. Robert C. Weaver referring to claims about the public housing program “like blaming the doctor for the disease.”
The City has several tools available
to address its obsolete housing stock and concentration of poverty. A well administered housing choice voucher program in conjunction with a targeted Neighborhood Stabilization Program and Community Block Grant funding can certainly help revitalize neighborhoods and help the City meet its long term goals.
The Department has many resources to assist the City in meeting its goals and is available to work with City staff to develop and design programs that are consistent with HUD rules and regulations and in the best interest of the City.”

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic