FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FOOD DESERTS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FOOD DESERTS
    Posted: Jul 22 2013 at 9:33am
Posted: 8:00 a.m. Monday, July 22, 2013

‘Food deserts’ predominant in Butler County

By Eric Robinette

Staff Writer

More than half of Middletown and almost half of Hamilton classifies as a “food desert,” according to a study by Miami University and the Butler County OSU Extension Office, meaning it can be very hard to get healthy food if you don’t have a car.

A food desert, as defined by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is an urban neighborhood or rural town “without ready access to fresh, healthy, and affordable food. Instead of supermarkets and grocery stores, these communities may have no food access or are served only by fast food restaurants and convenience stores that offer few healthy, affordable food options.”

Miami University’s study, done in 2009 and based on the 2000 Census, stipulated that a food desert had to be an area where people couldn’t get to a grocery without walking about one mile, said Robbyn Abbitt, of Miami University’s geography department.

“If you don’t have access to a car, the way our grocery stores are in Butler County, it’s very easy to get more than a decent walkable distance (away). We call that a mile. If you’re outside of that mile, it’s extremely difficult to get to a grocery store that sells decent food,” Abbitt said.

The study found that food deserts were prominent in Middletown and Hamilton, in Trenton, a small section of Fairfield, and even a section of West Chester Twp., which many people consider affluent.

The study found that 27,936 people lived in Hamilton food deserts, while Middletown had 28,059. That’s 46 percent and 55 percent of the population, respectively. More than 2,000 households in Hamilton and more than 1,700 households in Hamilton reported having no access to a car.

Karen Shepherd, of Trenton, is one of those people. More than once, she has walked from the railroad tracks that cross Ohio 73 to the pantry at Family Service of Middletown to get food for her four children. That’s a six-mile trek that takes two hours each way, she estimated.

“I’ve walked the whole way … I’ve done it probably about three times,” she said. “I’ve got four kids at home, and when my food stamps run out, I go to the pantry for that. So I’ll have enough in the month for my kids.”

The rise of the food desert over the past decade has come about because of large grocery stores like Kroger and Wal-Mart locating in the suburbs, while neighborhood grocery stores have fallen by the wayside, said Tina Osso, executive director of the Shared Harvest Food Bank. The last standalone IGA grocery in Butler County, in Ross Twp., closed in June. The IGAs that remain are ones attached to gas stations.

Downtown Middletown has a concentration of food deserts, as does the east side of Hamilton, Osso said.

“It used to be that you were able to walk to your neighborhood grocer. That neighborhood grocer is no longer there. In place of that you have convenient marts. Their prices are 25 percent to 30 percent higher, and they don’t carry the variety of healthier foods you have in grocery stores,”Osso said.

And where there are not grocery stores, there tends to be a concentration of fast food restaurants — where the food is less expensive, but unhealthy.

“Here you’ll have three or four fast-food restaurants and a convenience store all within walking distance of each other. And of course, there’s nothing healthy to be found in the lower-cost items. But many people depend on those value menus, those dollar items, to get through periods of not having enough food,” Osso said.

Parts of the study surprised Abbitt.

“We knew there would be problems in Hamilton and Middletown because of the high poverty rates. Probably the three surprises were Trenton, Fairfield and West Chester,” she said. A small part of Fairfield, with a population of 1,056 was a food desert, while 1,301 Trenton residents lived in a food desert. West Chester Twp. had 4,468 people in its food desert.

“At the time, West Chester was seen as this kind of luxury area where very few people had problems. It was a surprise that (the Butler County extension office) would need to reach out to an affluent area,” Abbitt said.

The survey literally hit home for Abbitt because “I lived in Trenton, and as we were doing this story, our one grocery store (an IGA) closed. So suddenly, Trenton, which was not going to really show up as a food desert, did because you can’t get to either of the the Kroger at Engle’s Corner or at (Ohio) 4. They’re more than a mile away.”

Trenton’s IGA closed in 2006. City Manager John Jones has said since he arrived six years ago, there have been more than 10 offers for that property, but for various reasons, none of them have panned out. There have also been inquires about using the property as something other than a grocer, such as an archery or firing range, he said.

Still, “It’s been our goal, of both council and this administration, to get a full-service grocery … Barn and Bunk clearly sells fresh produce all the time, so that’s a good alternative.” Jones said, referring to the farm market on Wayne-Madison Road that is not far from where the IGA was. Trenton does have an IGA Express in a gas station on State Street, but that location can only do so much, said resident Gary Schenck.

“We have everything a typical IGA would have, but we just don’t have room for a high volume of stock, which causes higher prices,” he said.

Agencies like Family Service of Middletown have tried to combat the food desert by offering programs like the farmers market that provides fresh produce to those who participate in the Carel Cosby Summer Food for Kids program.

Some of those sites, such as Applewood and Catalina, are “kind of remote locations where you’ve got people concentrated together, but they don’t have resources to access things they need, and food is as the top of the list,” said Maurice Maxwell, the executive director of Family Service. “We truly know those folks out there are isolated.”

The OSU Extension Office works with food banks and agricultural resources to provide nutrition education.

“One of the projects that developed (as a result) was HUGS, the Hamilton Urban Garden System. They’re doing a lot of work to start community gardens. We were also working on a mobile food truck that would sell fresh produce,” said Dan Remley of the extension office, who worked on the study.

Farmers markets have become an increasingly popular option to provide a kind of oasis from the food desert. Not only has Family Service started offering fresh produce, but there are farmers markets in downtown Middletown, like the one that occupies the former Swallen’s space.

“Whether they’re downtown or in community gardens, that enhances our health in what are considered food deserts,” said Jackie Phillips, Middletown’s health commissioner. She also noted that such offerings are meant to help counter obesity trends among the poor.

COMMITTED TO LOCAL NEWS

Reporter Eric Robinette spoke to Butler County officials, experts, business owners and several Butler County residents to offer insight about how some areas of our community have limited access to healthy, affordable food options.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2013 at 11:08am
WOW! INCREDIBLE!

Are we now so petty with the news stories that we talk about the distance one would have to walk to get the the grocery? It can be very hard to get healthy food if you don't have a car? Seriously? Miami U. and the OSU Extension Office have nothing better to study than this?

Miami University’s study, done in 2009 and based on the 2000 Census, stipulated that a food desert had to be an area where people couldn’t get to a grocery without walking about one mile, said Robbyn Abbitt, of Miami University’s geography department.

“If you don’t have access to a car, the way our grocery stores are in Butler County, it’s very easy to get more than a decent walkable distance (away). We call that a mile. If you’re outside of that mile, it’s extremely difficult to get to a grocery store that sells decent food,” Abbitt said.

The study found that food deserts were prominent in Middletown and Hamilton, in Trenton, a small section of Fairfield, and even a section of West Chester Twp., which many people consider affluent

WHO COMES UP WITH THIS CRAP AND WHAT WILL CHANGE KNOWING THIS?.......AND WHO PAYS TO HAVE THIS TYPE OF STUDY DONE? DOESN'T HIS REVEAL WHAT MOST OF US ALREADY KNOW?

LOOK, THE BOTTOM LINE FOR ALL YOU ACADEMIA RESEARCHERS......PEOPLE ARE GONNA EAT WHAT THEY CAN AFFORD, WHAT THEY ARE ACCUSTOMED TO EATING AND WHAT THEY LIKE, BE IT HEALTHY OR NOT. ALL THE CAMPAIGNING AND RHETORIC ABOUT EATING HEALTHY ISN'T GONNA CHANGE BUT A SMALL PRECENTAGE OF PEOPLE'S MINDS TO CONVERT. THE CHOICES ARE GEARED TOWARD OBESITY IN CALORIC INTAKE AND LARGE PORTION SIZES. WHY BOTHER WITH A STUDY LIKE THIS/ MORE IMPORTANTLY, WHY SPEND THE MONEY?

THIS COMMENT IS MIDDLETOWN'S EPITAPH......

"We knew there would be problems in Hamilton and Middletown because of the high poverty rates". HOW ARE PEOPLE IN LOW INCOME AREAS SUPPOSE TO AFFORD SOME OF THE SO-CALLED "HEALTHY FOODS" HAVE YOU SEEN SOME OF THE PRICES FOR HEALTHY FOOD AT THE GROCERY?

STARCHY FOOD IS THE CHOICE OF THE LOWER INCOME. MORE FILLING. CAN BE MADE IN LARGER PORTIONS AND IS CHEAPER. NOODLES, SAUCE, AND BEEF THROWN TOGETHER TO MAKE GOULASH IS CHEAP AND WILL LAST A FEW DAYS.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2013 at 7:28pm
Damn! I guess I live in food desert!! lolLOL

Good thing I got two Camels in the drive way!!LOL

Sorry but, This story is ridiculous..

PacmanCool
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 12:07am

When I was working at the cemetery every day during the summer I saw numerous people pushing grocery carts, strollers and little red wagons on their way to Dillman’s to get their groceries. About 45 minutes later they would come back down First Ave with their carts loaded with food. The same people sometimes made this trip several times a week.
    I don’t think you realize how difficult it is for many of these people to get food for their families if they do not have a car.

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 7:02am
Watch how this "food desert" talk will soon turn into the next "right".  As in the "I have the RIGHT to a grocery within a half mile of where I live" or even better "I have the right for a government paid delivery service to BRING the groceries to me".
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 7:18am
Correct Ms.Moon. Walk-in traffic is very important and a staple for inner-city neighborhood markets, especially those providing fresh and frozen perishable products(meats, fruits/veggies, dairy, breads etc.). Those options are becoming fewer by the day.
We have made a somewhat backwards move as far as transportation--- a decade + ago, everyone had a vehicle(and often 2 or 3). Now we have a huge growing segment that can no longer afford an auto, truck or SUV. They are on their own to get around, and transporting a load of food can be an issue. Public transportation is available to many on specific routes, to our city's credit still targets the only two "healthy" food centers in the city(Dillman Foods and Marsh), though the city's rigged bus service analysis recommended dropping Central Ave to centralize on the poorly-located bus terminal in a dead zone within the former downtown area. Shopping options there are nil, and have been that way since 1970, when a very successful Dillman Foods branch(formerly Reedy's Foods) was forced out to make room for a parking lot to be used for the enclosed City Center Mall.

Well--that mall was a dud, while Dillman Foods migrated to a new strip center, where they built and opened a new concept of complete shopping on the level of the current Dorothy Lane or Jungle Jim's. That market was incredibly innovative and successful, shopped by every class of citizen in our city(along with employing many of the top teenage labor market for their first jobs).

Since then, we have experienced an incredible demographic and business climate change, resulting in the demise of the long-term McGee Foods operations, the Dillman conversions to Savealots, and the Kroger movements to the large-center locations in shopping complexes on the fringe areas of town. The local "mom and pop" stores are unfortunately no more, and for many reasons. While intertwined with many situations, the real reasoning is pretty simple.

If you like, I can elaborate on reasons, facts, trends and the direction of our future when I have more time......
Your call.......
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 7:24am
the 5-minute edit rule just cost me a huge chunk of this.....
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 9:47am

Spider
This is one of the major flaws in “Their Downtown Plan”
A grocery store, Section 8 Office and other services for the poor should have been located near the bus terminal downtown. jmo

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 5:15pm
Enough about my business(just prefacing this issue)--now back to the topix....

This is becoming a real issue as many mid/upper class families migrate to the suburbs and small residential markets become obsolete. With many more families dependent on public assistance for housing and nutrition, there is no $$ available for on-going transportation. Bicycles are much more common now--you see far more adults riding them than children. We are constantly assisting shoppers get their purchases back home. You can't get much nutrition from an NYC, swap shop, drug store or convenience market/service station--and even those concepts are moving in close to the mega-centers.

Still--the public has chosen to migrate to the super stores and multi-centers to do their primary shopping. The way that it is--no issues--until the discuss the lack of more localized shopping options. The smaller stores simply can't make it only being a secondary convenience, especially where peishable nutritional products are involved. They have to buy fairly large quantities of each item, bundled into a large enough delivery to make the stop worthwhile for their suppliers. Spoilage becomes a very crucial issue. There is honestly little difference in pricing of these items. You simply have to sell them low enough to move them and avoid shrinkage.

The small stores(many of which used to be considered mid-sized to large) are falling daily. I know many operators who have disappeared, often frittering away a lifetime and hard work in a very short period.  When the shopping public decides to drive by the local option to go the duistance away, they are making not only their choice, but also deciding the small business owners' fate also. Pretty simple--you can't fight the trend and thinking--at least not for long. It is time to cut your loss and quit beating yourself. The decision has been made by everyone necessary to the process, so do what you have to do to save yourselves. What comes next is not so pretty for the neighborhood though.

Time to go watch Cincinnati Slim, Jimmy Rogers, Gregg Clark and crew hopefully
more later.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic