Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please Run For City Council

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 7:28am
Mr. Presta,
      It sounds funny to me for my good friend Mike Presta to address me as Mr. Nagy and for me to address him as Mr. Presta. I trust that it is out of the respect that we have and always have had for one another. However, I choose that we allow friendship to exceed our respect and I will feel more comfortable by saying, "Good morning Mike."  As usual your observations are right on target:

"We may at the same time be:  old; tired; physically or medically challenged; or otherwise be so up to our elbows in alligators that we cannot take advantage of this opportunity to serve at this stage in our lives."
        My doctor couldn't have described me better than that.

Also, when you say,:

" Perhaps it is time for some healthy youngsters (in their 20s, 30s, 40s, or 50s) to take up the torch, and to look to us old geezers for advice when appropriate."

You, especially focus on the essential matter. These younger ones are the ones who need to heed the call. They would be well advised to turn to you for advice not only on filing petitions but on a host of many issues. Lets hope that they will indeed pickup the torch.

Thank you for the insightful post.
              pn
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 8:13am
Paul,

As for the "Mr. Nagy", I was just trying to set a good example in my twilight years.

(I have been accused by many of spending much of my life serving as a bad example!!! Wink )
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Historic House Guy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 4:43pm
If I knew a little more about Middletown, I'd love to get involved. Maybe in a fe more years as I set the stage...
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 7:15pm
Someone give Historic House Guy a crash course on the City of Middletown.
Historic House Guy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by da120757 da120757 wrote:

Someone give Historic House Guy a crash course on the City of Middletown.

LOL I got the crash course a few weeks ago when I signed up here.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 9:10pm

LOL I got the crash course a few weeks ago when I signed up here.,,,,,,,LOLLOLLOL
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 12:04am
better off to run FROM City Council

jmo of course
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 9:20am
Unfortunately there is no place to run from council to escape their damage.

Its ironic, when Larry Mulligan was running, I was thinking here's a finance guy, going to run a tight ship, help steer Middletown from its finncial brink. You know he uses tight numbers when he's approving commercial loans at first financial, current ratios are this, debt/equity ratio is that.

Instead, he comes in, spends the rainy day fund down to 15%, that's enough to operate Middletown for about 3 months as Bill Becker used to say, at most, and the spending has risen more than any prior council in recent memory (30 years).

Running for council doesn't take money, it takes organization and name (brand) recognition. Those on council are not voted in for leadership, its just a name someone knows over many years. Newcomers, those with pedigree backgronds but not inside the clique, need not apply. Waste of time....never change.

That my friend(s), is why there are only 1-2 new folks running. All incumbents have 3500 votes or higher, impossible to win if you can't pull at least 3300 votes. My opinion for what it is worth. 

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 10:15am
If anyone one needs to be voted out is A.J. Smith. My god he gave me a headache by all the stupid questions he kept asking during the August 8th Meeting.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 12:18pm
A.J.Smith is not running for council.
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 12:33pm
Thumbs Up
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Historic House Guy Historic House Guy wrote:

If I knew a little more about Middletown, I'd love to get involved. Maybe in a fe more years as I set the stage...

HHG you sound like you have all that is needed to run for council, I'm sure that as a family man and doing the work that you do, would know how to run a budget more so then what we have now! Talk to Paul Naggy, Mike Presta they both could fill you in on whats needed to get started if nothing else you would be getting your name out there for the next run at it.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 4:12pm
Acclaro
Your comments are dead on the mark and money
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 8:47am
Well, change of events here. Sunday Journal story.....

EXCLUSIVE: Council’s youngest member to step down

MIDDLETOWN — The youngest member ever to be elected to City Council — and one who had a tumultuous beginning to his tenure — will step down Tuesday in order to take a new job in Columbus.
It is no secret that Councilman A.J. Smith had many trials and tribulations early on in his term on City Council. In a time where many 20-somethings are figuring out what to do with their lives, Smith knew. As a 20-year-old, he sought and handily won in 2009 the Second Ward seat on City Council. He was the youngest ever to be elected to the board.

WHO WILL FINISH OUT SMITH'S TERM ON COUNCIL? WILL IT BE AN MMF SPONSORED PERSON OR WILL THEY PLACE BRONSTON IN THERE TO GIVE HER A HEADSTART SHOULD SHE WIN NEXT ELECTION?

Smith, who owns his own political consulting firm, ASJ & Associates, has taken on a client that he said requires him to relocate to Columbus

MUST BE A HECK OF A CLIENT ACCOUNT TO COMPLETELY RELOCATE. HAVEN'T HEARD TOO MUCH ABOUT ASJ & ASSOCIATES. WONDER HOW MANY CLIENTS AJ HAS ACCUMULATED SINCE IT'S INCEPTION.

I LIKE THIS FROM OLD LESLIE LANDEN.....

But as Smith leaves the dais for Columbus, he said he wishes to remind his colleagues on council, and future council members, something that Law Director Les Landen said during an executive session involving city employees: “You should be hard on the issues and soft on the people.”

CLASSIC. PERHAPS LES SHOULD HAVE SAID "SECRETIVE ON THE ISSUES AND IGNORE THE PEOPLE". MIGHT HAVE BEEN MORE APPROPRIATE.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 10:18am
VET: You have just described the motto of our city council.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 10:49am
     Tuesday, August 27th, 2013 the Board of elections posted the final nominees for City Council. They were the
three incumbents: Joshua Laubach, Ann Mort and Dan Picard. The only new candidate is Dora Bronson.
      There are only two available positions for at large candidates.  As of January 1st the city of Middletown will only have
five council members. It is unlikely that the city will get fair  representation since the ward system will also be gone.
       Since we can only vote for two candidates I urge you to vote for Josh Laubach and Dan Picard. If there was a third position of these candidates I would vote for Ann Mort.
       The fact that no one new became a serious candidate says something about our city. How do you see it?
       Good luck to the candidates and God bless the city of Middletown.
          pn

ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 11:05am
who is Dora Bronson? what is her platform?
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 11:16am
who is Dora Bronson? what is her platform?            http://youtu.be/mIGMYTjmqOs
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 11:40am
Well she is a definite Democrat. One would hopes she is going to follow the lead of Christopher Smitherman on Cincinnati City Council. He is probably the only budget hawk on the Cincinnati City Council. As of now I am leaning towards a no vote for her but I need to know more about her platform when it comes to the city. Is she another Downtown Arts Lover, or will she look out for the rest of Middletown. At this point I am willing to put in anyone who is not a Downtown Arts lover.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 12:18pm
When I have seen Ms. Bronston in action, she seems a bit outspoken. Tells them what is on her mind. Likes her NAACP organization. I would imagine she will be a champion for the south side community even though all council people are suppose to be "at-large", covering the entire city. Doesn't matter though. When the dust clears and we go to 5 councilmembers covering the entire city, the real focus for all will still be the downtown that will get all the attention. All other areas of town will still play second fiddle as to priorities.

Ms. Bronston doesn't strike me as a person who will always play ball with the MMM and P group on council. I hope Mr. Laubach and Ms. Scott-Jones join her in combating the strangleholds produced by the Mulligans, Mort and Picard. I would certainly vote for her before I would give MMM and P the time of day. They are bad for this city and so are their puppeteers.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic