Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, March 29, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rose Furniture Building

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Word on the street…
Several offers have been made on the Manchester Inn however the City has turned down all these offers.
Several years ago they also turned down an offer to use this property for elderly housing.

Is this building on Mr. Coon’s list also?

Miss Judy wants ths building to be removed.....

Damn shame that they just let it sit there and as it does more problems pop up.The AG of Ohio needs to come in and do a investigation on everything that goes and has gone on in the city building.I myself believe there would be a few people going to prison.Tongue
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

lol m29
between Nelson and yourself, there is enough resentment and nastiness for a city much larger than Middietown.

I take much pride in my family business and a successful 87-year run as an independent business in this city.
We have played to the 50s-60s-70s-80s local economy
We adjusted to the 90s-and 2000 era brought on by decisions by your cronies and you.

notice that we have never asked for a mass bail-out from the city or debt to be forgiven

Have never taken anything from this city, and have given back 10-fold and will do so again today.
Simply because we are greatful for decades of support and are fortunate to be able to help those deserving in need.
I have lived here for my entire life--hopefully will always live here.

Why are your issues personal with me, yet thick with decades of a bungled city administration?
Maybe it is YOU who has been a long-term taker?

And, may you have a nice day too, Stevie! LOL
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 7:06pm
lol
2 of my current nemeses on the same day!
happy 2 b on the other side of both
and still had time to make a "brighter future!" for quite a few h-schoolers
and if u r bugging me then u r leaving others alone

and as Mr.Parsons said:
I don't care what u do
I wouldn't want 2 b like u
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

lol m29
between Nelson and yourself, there is enough resentment and nastiness for a city much larger than Middietown.

I take much pride in my family business and a successful 87-year run as an independent business in this city.
We have played to the 50s-60s-70s-80s local economy
We adjusted to the 90s-and 2000 era brought on by decisions by your cronies and you.

notice that we have never asked for a mass bail-out from the city or debt to be forgiven

Have never taken anything from this city, and have given back 10-fold and will do so again today.
Simply because we are greatful for decades of support and are fortunate to be able to help those deserving in need.
I have lived here for my entire life--hopefully will always live here.

Why are your issues personal with me, yet thick with decades of a bungled city administration?
Maybe it is YOU who has been a long-term taker?

Midd 29

Don't know who you are but dam, I really don't understand you at all on this forum. You have no consistency at all. If you look at your past posts on this topic, you are all over the city and Gilleland for their actions concerning this topic. At times, you support our side on our war against city leader stupidity as to decisions made while attempting to run this city. THEN, you turn right around and fire a salvo at Spider with accusations of loan taking, but you produce no evidence to back up your accusation. As it stands now, it really does appear as if you have a vendetta against him and his business. Look, as time has passed, we will all agree that this city has gotten worse, primarily due to inept leadership, lack of proper direction and an endless comedy of errors from the commission/council of the 80's to the current bunch. Here, you have a man who has stuck with the city, through the good of the past to the current cluster. He probably could have bailed at any time, but he is still here, providing a service to the people. Give him credit for his tenacity in maintaining a business in this non-business friendly town. (with the exception of their pet businesses of course). The man should be praised for his persistence, not ridiculed.

You throw your shots at the city leaders, then reverse course and attempt to attack people who are on the other side of the fence with reckless abandon. Guess the question is, which side are you on? And yes, IMO, it is a "them versus us" mentality. They have made it so.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 7:53pm
They're selling post cards of the hanging.....

thanx 4 the support, vet

like popeye, I yam what I yam

for anyone bored and/or twisted enough to follow this detour:
keep your eye on the ball
don't lose focus of the initial topic and where it fits in this clusterfk

m29 likes to distract from the real issue
I have learned that

yes, m29
there is no success like failure
and failure is no success at all

so it goes here on desolation row.....
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 9:26pm
There will be no public hanging here,Spider,you've only tried to do good for the city. It's a shame the city has taken such a wrong turn.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2013 at 9:29pm
Unlike Popeye, take caution not to ingest too much spinach from the bowl of your pipe.  Creepy is as Creepy does.  Don't fire shots across the bow, Poipeye.  Unlike M29, some of us repeatedly present factual and verifiable information on the sad state of affairs.  And, some of us have also done much to help lesser income households (via various types of housing assistance in my case).  Your deeds are noted.  You are not alone.  And, you need to leave Vivian Moon out of this.
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2013 at 4:56am
When spider stops the personal attacks so will I.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2013 at 7:04am
rose furniture roof collapse--remember?
fortunate that no one was injured or killed
imo building should have been leveled as per Mr.Adkins' plan

lol
no spinach other than a salad
no pipe
Put your information in the hands of someone who can make use of it
Vivian?

truth can be hard sometimes, wherever you sit

how does it feel
to be on your own
no direction home
like a complete unknown
Alien View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2013 at 8:11am
Spider - sorry you have to endure these comments. Local businesses are always under appreciated and easy targets for those who have no business acumen or hands on experience.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2013 at 8:50am
Any business that moves, starts or has been in Middletown for years needs to be welcomed with open arms. Because with the competitive business environment we are in, Any city, county or Township can off Tax incentives to pull more business from Middletown. My personal feeling is we should keep taxes as low as possible so business can move in here.

Another thing the city needs to start doing in re-zoning any neighborhood where the housing stock is less than $25,000 per house, or is a major crime area to be tore down and re-developed into either new houses, or business. If Middletown doesn't start to drive out the low life's in this town that do drugs, steal from us, or abuse children and animals, Middletown will forever be know as the town to stay away from. And these type of people tend to live in houses that have low property values.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2013 at 10:07am
That's a pretty large net that can also include law abiding home owners. You can't tear down blocks because you think the value is less than a number you pick. What if they have lived there for years before the housing bust. Their house may have been valued more then and through no fault of their own they be caught in you net.JMO Just thinking out loud.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2013 at 11:09am
I just know but something needs to be done with the old housing stock, and property owners that neglect there properties. I am not say all at once level the entire area. But it could done over time period of a couple of years. But Middletown needs to do something to devise a plan to replace these older smaller houses with newer and larger ones.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2013 at 11:18am
I don't disagree with you..it's true. But some people are down sizing and don't need large homes anymore. Did you read the article about people moving to urban areas over the suburbs now. I completely agree about the drugs and the low lifes doing them. Everyone wants them GONE.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 2:16pm
Are the 24 hours up yet???  What was the verdict???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 3:47pm
They gave them a little more time to decide what the're going to do.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 9:17am
JG is looking for a grant to tear the Manchester down. That's why she took it off the market.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 5:47pm
From MJ:
Decision on old furniture building expected Tuesday

MIDDLETOWN —

The owners of the former Rose Furniture building that suffered substantial damage after its roof collapsed are expected to decide by Tuesday what to do with the property.

Mike Robinette, one of the owners of Historic Rose Furniture LLC, said the investors are expected to meet Tuesday and decide among three choices: rehabilitate the building; demolish the building but save the facade; or demolish the building and the facade.

The roof on the building, 36 S. Main St., collapsed from the heavy rains that swept through the area on Oct. 6. Because a beam in the building is believed to be unstable, a section of South Main Street remains closed to traffic.

The Hope House Mission Center for Men, which is located next to the furniture store, has remained open, but the public has limited access to the building, said Sandra Snyder, communications director for the homeless shelter.

The former Rose Furniture building was condemned in May as unsafe for occupancy, according to city records. The city acquired the building at no cost in 2011. Plans were made in May this year to demolish most of the building, except for the façade. But on Oct. 4, two days before the weather-related incident, Historic Rose Furniture LLC, a private investment group, closed on a deal to take over ownership of the 109-year-old building. City Council agreed to give the developers $300,000 to stabilize the building and make the renovations, according to the deal.

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 6:07pm
Posted: 1:17 p.m. Monday, Oct. 14, 2013

Decision on old furniture building expected Tuesday

MIDDLETOWN —

The owners of the former Rose Furniture building that suffered substantial damage after its roof collapsed are expected to decide by Tuesday what to do with the property.

Mike Robinette, one of the owners of Historic Rose Furniture LLC, said the investors are expected to meet Tuesday and decide among three choices: rehabilitate the building; demolish the building but save the facade; or demolish the building and the facade.

The roof on the building, 36 S. Main St., collapsed from the heavy rains that swept through the area on Oct. 6. Because a beam in the building is believed to be unstable, a section of South Main Street remains closed to traffic.

The Hope House Mission Center for Men, which is located next to the furniture store, has remained open, but the public has limited access to the building, said Sandra Snyder, communications director for the homeless shelter.

The former Rose Furniture building was condemned in May as unsafe for occupancy, according to city records. The city acquired the building at no cost in 2011. Plans were made in May this year to demolish most of the building, except for the façade. But on Oct. 4, two days before the weather-related incident, Historic Rose Furniture LLC, a private investment group, closed on a deal to take over ownership of the 109-year-old building. City Council agreed to give the developers $300,000 to stabilize the building and make the renovations, according to the deal.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2013 at 5:45am
My prediction:

Robinette & Company will demolish the whole building, including the "façade", for about $50,000.00 (which is exactly what the City should have done in the first place) and pocket the remaining $250,000 of TAXPAYERS' money and walk away.

(On a related note, does anyone recall Councilmembers Picard or Mort questioning where the $300,000 in taxpayers' funds was coming from in the first place before they voted for this waste???  Firefighters???  FOP???  Anyone???)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2013 at 7:16am
very possible, mike
I don't remember any time frame for the re-do specified, so Mr.Coon, Mr.Robinette and cronies can pretty much do as they wish. Convenient if Mr.Robinetter slides in to the DMI head position.

Amazingly predictable how things play out around here
Once again,the former downtown area group pockets a large chunk of taxpayer $$$$ with nothing to show other than un-conditional promises

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2013 at 1:38pm
Interesting related situation:
During the clean-up/restoration/demo, Hope House will have to be closed, and residents will have to be re-located indefinitely. The dust/dirt and danger will be consifderable, and will affect the entire area. S Main may remain closed until completion. Will the adjacent buildings be demo'ed also?

Could be overall expensive and interesting.

jmo and my take on the situation
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2013 at 4:53pm
From MJ:
Investors moving forward with rehab on damaged building
By Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

The former Rose Furniture building is going to blossom again.

Steve Coon, one of the investors who owns the building that was heavily damaged recently, said the group plans to rehabilitate the building, as previously planned. Coon said he and other investors of Historic Rose Furniture LLC recently met with engineers to discuss the three options: rehabilitate the building; demolish the building but save the facade; or demolish the building and the facade.

On Wednesday, Coon, who owns Coon Restoration & Sealants, Inc., Northmark Properties and Historic Developers, LLC, said he was in the rehabilitation business, not the demolition business, and he called repairing the building “right in my wheelhouse.”

Once the repairs have been made, Coon said the building will be leased, though he didn’t know a timetable when the building will be occupied.

He said the roof that collapsed by the heavy rains on Oct. 6 will need to be repaired first. Since the roof collapsed, a portion of South Main Street between Central Avenue and First Avenue has been closed to traffic because structural engineers were concerned that a support beam may break and shatter glass.

The Hope House Mission Center for Men, which is located next to the furniture store, has remained open, said Sandra Snyder, communications director for the homeless shelter. She said volunteers and donors now are allowed back in the building because inspectors told her it’s “safe.”

The former Rose Furniture building was condemned in May as unsafe for occupancy, according to city records. The city acquired the building at no cost in 2011. Plans were made in May 2013 to demolish most of the building, except for the façade.

But on Oct. 4, two days before the weather-related incident, Historic Rose Furniture LLC, a private investment group, closed on a deal to take over ownership of the 109-year-old building. City Council agreed to give the developers $300,000 to stabilize the building and make the renovations, according to the deal.

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 9:52am
Well heck, for $300,000 I would stick around too. You can rebuild the entire building for that!

Itsa me, mario!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 10:09am
The City gave Coon 300,000 dollars was for Rose Furniture and for the repair and sale of the building on the left side also...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic