FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DMI Director leaving

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DMI Director leaving
    Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 6:33am
According to sources at city hall, Patrick Kay the executive director of DMI is leaving to take a job in South Carolina.

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 7:03am

Soooo....Mr Robinett finally got his wish to get rid of Mr Kay from
“THEIR DOWNTOWN”
Another sad day for Middletown

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 9:35am
How can a person, who is connected to the event that took place with Smith and the bar tab a while ago, be welcomed back by the Gilleland regime when he left town in an unfavorable status? What happened that changed Gilleland's mind about Robinette? Or, was he never out of favor with her? Didn't do that great of job as Econ. Dev. Director did he? What's he doing back in town?

Kay? Not sorry to see him leave. Full of embellished crap IMO. Just another problem that will leave town.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 1:16pm
She doesn't have very many friends so I guess she may have to "recycle" some of the old ones.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 1:54pm
Wrong again Vivian

Gilliland and Robinette want Kay to stay.

The Moorman clan is running him out of town.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 3:10pm
And when did the Moorman's become so high and mighty in this town? They have some skeletons in their own closet. What's that about glass house?.maybe someone might want to do a "close and through" back ground check on Mr. J. Moorman. .??
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 6:16pm

Middletown29

You must be out of the click....Robinette has been trying to get him fired for months so he can run "THEIR DOWNTOWN".
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 7:02pm
too bad for Mr.Kay
He seemed to be a decent enough guy, pretty much doing what he was hired to do
Be the front man for the city-financed organization exclusively representing the area that was our downtown decades ago
Things seem to be looking up in a few spots down there

Was dining At the Square Friday, Mr.Kay was sitting with mutual friends a few seats away.
Nothing was mentioned, and I have nothing against the guy
He will probably be better off wherever he lands.....
And we probably financed a severance

Looks bad for the city and whomever else funded the position(MCF?)
More bmw down there--the cycle repeats
Except that it IS our $$$

Dirt on the Moormans???
Come on--why?
Small town--long-timers---let's just concentrate on what is happening now and down the road....
They are probably struggling with their place and lives just like the rest of us.

HEY.....
Don't forget the big show this Saturday 7:30 @ Finkleman MU-M
Legendary world-class BELA FLECK along with his incredibly talented wife, ABIGAIL WASHBURN
We are graced to have this level of talent here
Support the REAL Arts!
This was one of my picks for the ?MU-M/MU-H serirs this year
This duo will not disappoint--they will blow you away!

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2013 at 6:21am
I heard Robinette will get job once Kay is gone
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2013 at 9:12am
Here's the real word on the street.

Duane Gordon and Patrick Kay both pulled in to UDF to buy gas, about 10 pm on a Wednesday, rush hour of course at UDF for those walking in barefoot and no front teeth to buy coffee, about 75% which are schizophrenic and speaking to themselves.

Duane started to pull in to pump 7, but Patrick beat him there by a fraction of a second. A confrontation erupted; Duane said, "gosh darn it, there can be only one not two southerners in this crummy city." Well, Pat was quite upset and went to Judy G. bringing in the key city leadership, MMF, the Moorman's, council who spent hours debating this issue.

Many significant pts were made during the session; would a southerner from Mississippi be allowed to stay, or a genteel gentlemen from South Carolina. Arguably, this was one of the most difficult decisions made in years by Donham Abby.

In the end, Picard, Mulligans, others decided because Patrick was near Charleston, and SC was older than Mississippi, he must leave, as he would most likely find an opportunity back home. That's the real story, it had nothing to do with "can I buy you a drink AJ" Robinette trying to pad his daunting private equity wallet with Kay's job.

The word on the street? That there is no word on the street. Kay leaving for a warmer client and a real historic city, not a dump filled with corruption that is more akin to Pottersville than Hilton Head Island. Drama queens are in Donham, why spread it online?

Downtown will always fail. Judy G. was put in place to satisfy the stacked deck recruited to give council the keys to city hall. She will double dip, taxes will hit 2,25% in 3 years, and the Mulligans will stack up the Main Street property values as was planned, after Becker failed for the 2% tax rate 12-13 years ago.

You don't know what you don't know...respectfully.

At least MUM has a hell of a concert Saturday- college kids as far as away as Chicago coming to watch.

Put the clowns are the predictable cronies in the rear view mirror. They sure do so on the citizens....but, who elected them? 76% did- idiots. But again----that's Middletown isn't it As it has been....as it will be.

Patrick got it right----he is leaving the dump. Good for him. His choice, no one else. History lives in SC, in Middletown, its a phony means of shifting funds to prop up property values.

Worse city council and leadership in 30 years; unfortunately, same with residents, no outrage. Keep the hand in cookie jar, no one cares.

Hottest spot in downtown? UDF at 10 PM, gas and coffee. Be there or be square.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2013 at 10:35am
Acclaro -

You remain one of the very best reads on this blog!!  Your insight and opinion is to be valued.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2013 at 1:33pm
thanks for the MU-M show plug, acclaro
as usual, 90% attending will be out-of-towners
unfortunately these series are very highly regarded elsewhere, and usually can't get a mention around here
But--Bela Fleck is a world-wide revered talent by any standard
Abigail Washburn will also amaze
plenty of tickets left, and imo the higher-up seats get better sound
down low is not as good
I sit through the sound checks, and bounce around throughout

we have another huge newcomer act next:
The Milk Carton Kids
Might as well see them here before they become too popular and expensive for Middietown
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 10:02am

Posted: 7:00 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 17, 2013

DOWNTOWN MIDDLETOWN

DMI director to leave for Michigan job

By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN

Patrick Kay will miss out on what he says will be a time of impressive growth in downtown Middletown.

Kay, the executive director of Downtown Middletown Inc., the nonprofit champion aimed at revitalizing and growing downtown, will resign a month and a half before his set two-year contract expires. He started with Middletown in January 2012 and will take on a similar position with a similar organization in Michigan at the end of November or first week of December.

“It’s a different opportunity, a different challenge,” said Kay, who will be the executive director of the Manistee Downtown Development Authority in Manistee, Michigan. “This was my choice to go as my contract was ending here. Because I knew that was coming up, I was looking at other options that were out there.”

Kay will continue to lead the day-to-day operations of DMI until Nov. 15. Under his guidance, DMI board chairman Roger Daniel said Kay has led the way to create new destinations to downtown and establish resources for new and small businesses.

“During the past two years, Patrick has provided much needed guidance as we structured DMI in a manner consistent with Heritage Ohio’s Main Street Program,” said Daniel.

Daniel also touted Kay’s leadership during a time of new business growth in downtown by administering the city’s façade grant program, and bringing new activities to Central Avenue and Broad Street, such as a farmer’s market, a 5K run, the Women’s Wine & Chocolate Walk, and the Red, White & Bluegrass.

Daniel said Kay and the board helped create a new downtown entertainment district to allow additional business expansion and are currently working to add several downtown buildings to the National Register of Historic Places, which will facilitate using historic tax credits so investors can rehabilitate downtown buildings.

Adriane Scherrer, owner of the We Can Business Incubator and co-organizer of the Broad Street Bash, said Manistee, Mich., is lucky to get Kay.

“I have a long relationship with the Main Street program and Patrick exceeded the timeline of the majority of Main Street professionals who are doing a brand new program,” Scherrer said. “He did in less than two years with Main Street what most Main Street professionals do in three years.”

Mary Ellen Clinard, a DMI board member, said Kay had a tough job to be the organization’s first director.

“Anytime you start a downtown revitalization program that’s modeled after national Main Street plan, which involves four components, the first year is mostly about laying the foundation,” she said. “Not a lot of visible things. It’s stuff that the community doesn’t see, but it has to be done in order to be able to move forward.”

But Clinard said Kay has given DMI “some really meaty tools to now be able to move forward.”

“I think what’s unique about a Main Street director of revitalization development, you have to be able to multitask. You don’t have to be an expert in everything, but you have to have your hand on the pulse to know who are the experts,” she said. “It takes a person who can wear a lot of different hats at the same time.”

Kay said Manistee, which is a town of around 6,200 on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, is a historic community, like Middletown, that he was looking to be a part of. But he said it wasn’t a choice over Manistee over Middletown.

“I wish Middletown all the best, and I will be back in this area because I have a lot of friends here,” said Kay, who ruled out a similar opportunity in Colorado because it would be easier to drive six hours rather than taking a plane.

Kay said while he’s been credited with a lot of DMI initiatives over the past two years, it took the community of downtown and the DMI board to make it happen.

“I was just one piece of the puzzle,” he said.

He does regret he won’t see the end result of the work he and the community have worked toward, and he will be back to check out the results.

“I feel like there is such a positive momentum that is happening right now that I’m kind of a little jealous because I won’t see some of the big projects,” Kay said. “There are a lot of cool projects coming up. If you thought the last two years were huge, the next year is just going to be amazing. It’s going to be really impressive.”

Unmatched coverage

Downtown Middletown Inc. has had a big hand in the development and progress of downtown. The Journal-News consistently reports on the activities of downtown and will follow the job search for a new DMI executive director.

For hire

A search for a new executive director for Downtown Middletown Inc. will begin immediately. All inquiries should be directed to the DMI offices at 513-217-4573 or email downtownmiddletown@gmail.com. DMI is supported by grants from the City, the Middletown Community Foundation, the Middletown Convention and Visitor’s Bureau and contributions from over 80 individual and corporate sponsors.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

According to sources at city hall, Patrick Kay the executive director of DMI is leaving to take a job in South Carolina.

Story today says Michigan. So much for the sources at city hall.....but then again, we all know that anything that comes out of city hall can't be truthful, don't we.

Story says they're looking for a replacement for Kay. Mike P? Acclaro? Any takers from our side? That should throw a wrench in their gears in the artzy world.   
Anyone think that those who submit for this job are wasting their time? Think Robinette already has it locked up or that they choose another "friend of the city"? How about Mort, should she lose out in the council race. She's a heck of an embellisher and will take over where Kay left off in pronouncing how wonderful things are.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Miss Kitty View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 11:50am
Looks like the 4 corners of fantasy land will get
a new clown to run it!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 12:40pm
It is my understanding that the new director must have experience and knowledge of the Heritage Ohio's Main Street Program.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic