FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dora Bronston Interview

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dora Bronston Interview
    Posted: Oct 15 2013 at 11:55am
Journal story...excerpts

ELECTION 2013: MIDDLETOWN CITY COUNCIL

Q+A with Dora Bronston, Middletown City Council candidate

MIDDLETOWN —
Dora Bronston is a lifelong Middletonian and, like her political opponents, is passionate about the city.

Bronston is one of four people running for two open seats on Middletown City Council.

She said the economy has taken its toll on the city, just as it has with other cities, but her hometown is turning the corner

Q: The city has been pretty active in recent years in Economic Development over the years, from tax incentives for industrial businesses along Yankee Road to buying buildings for Cincinnati State’s downtown campus. But there’s also been new interest in the city from the new owners of the Towne Mall, companies expanding or planning to expand into the city, and a proposed business park in the East End. Where do you see the next great push of economic development in the city?

A: “I think people are now in a sense of expectation to see who’s going to be moving into that space out (in Towne Mall). There’s plenty of parking. Depending on their interests, you have to ask the people what they’re interested in and what they’re willing to go out and support or purchase and spend money. I would like to do some kind of survey in the city with the people because that’s what council does, that’s the role: find out what the people want and represent the people. I think if we bring something at the Towne Mall, there’s going to be more activity out there and it sits at the gate of the city, it will draw people from neighboring communities. I’m in this sense of expectation as to what the new owner will be bringing into Towne Mall that will bring more people into Middletown, and also more jobs. That’s just one thing I have going right now. We need companies expanding, yes, but we also need to draw new companies to the area. And of course tax incentives will do that

"YOU HAVE TO ASK PEOPLE WHAT THEY'RE INTERESTED IN"...."I WOULD LIKE TO DO SOME KIND OF SURVEY IN THE CITY WITH THE PEOPLE BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT COUNCIL DOES, THAT'S THE ROLE: FIND OUT WHAT PEOPLE WANT AND REPRESENT THE PEOPLE". WONDER WHY THE CURRENT COUNCIL MEMBERS DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT MS. BRONSTON? IF THE EAST END IS "WHERE THE ACTION IS", WHY ARE THE CITY LEADERS PLOWING SO MUCH ATTENTION AND MONEY INTO THE OTHER END OF TOWN, JUST TO PROTECT THE MAIN STREETERS?

Q: It looks like Middletown will spend upwards of $2 million for the second straight year on roads for 2014. But for the previous few years, mainly because of the economy, roads weren’t given that much money to be repaired. Where does the city’s infrastructure rate in your priorities?

THE REAL ANSWER IS THAT THE CITY DIVERTED THE CITY STREET REPAIR FUND BACK IN THE 80'S, TELLING THE VOTERS THAT THERE WAS A MORE URGENT NEED AND NEVER STARTED THE FUND BACK UP NOR ASKED THE VOTERS TO RE-INITIATE THE PROGRAM. THE STREETS HAVE SUFFERED EVER SINCE. MONEY FROM THE GAS TAX WAS SUPPOSE TO BE GOING FOR STREETS ALL THESE YEARS TOO, BUT THAT MONEY HAS BEEN DIVERTED ALSO. JUST RECENTLY, THE CITY, USING GRANTS IN PLACE OF THE MONEY THAT SHOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN IN THE STREET REPAIR FUND TO SHOW ANY REPAIR WORK TO DATE. THE CITY GETS NO PAT ON THE BACK FOR THE MEAGER REPAIR WORK THAT HAS BEEN ACCOMPLISHED IN THE LAST FEW YEARS. TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE. NO REASON TO PLAY NICE AND DANCE AROUND THE ISSUE HERE.

Q: The Public Safety Levy was just approved in August 2012 where it would supplement about $3 million to the public safety budgets. Can the city justify proposing cuts in public safety for the 2014 budget after asking the voters to renew that levy to avoid just that?

A: “There would have to be justification in that in saying what you are going to do with the money. The citizens would want to know if this is permanent, and we’re paying our tax dollars for this, we have a right to know where our money is going. Why are you laying people off when you have this money. It’s a valid question for people to ask and have a response. Tax payers want to know.”

NO, THE CITY CAN'T JUSTIFY THE REDUCTION OF SAFETY SERVICES WITH AMBULANCE RUNS NEEDED TO SERVICE AN AGING CITY POPULATION, PLUS ALL THE OVERDOSES ON DRUGS FROM THE SOCIAL LEVEL OF PEOPLE INVITED INTO THE CITY. JUST READ THE POLICE BRIEFS AND THE ANSWER IS QUITE EASY. AN INCREASE IN DRUGS, THEFT AND ROBBERY TELLS US WE NEED TO MAINTAIN THE POLICE FORCE. THIS AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE. IF THE CITY REDUCES THE FIRE AND POLICE, THEY SHOULD EXPECT ANY NEW SAFETY LEVY TO BE THROWN BACK IN THEIR FACE. PROMISED NO REDUCTION....NOW, MAY REDUCE. ANOTHER LIE ON TOP OF MORE LIES TO THE PEOPLE. VOTERS WOULD BE WRONG TO APPROVE ANOTHER LEVY IF YOU REDUCE PERSONNEL. IT WOULD SHOW YA COULDN'T HANDLE THE MONEY WE GAVE YOU TO MAINTAIN THE FIRST GO-AROUND. YOU SCREW UP EVERYTHING YOU TOUCH.

I NOTICE NOTHING FROM THE JOURNAL FOR MS. BRONSTON ON HER OPINION CONCERNING THE DOWNTOWN AREA AND THE WASTED TAXPAYER MONEY SPENT FOR THE CLOWNS TO LIVE THEIR DREAM AND PROTECT THE S. MAIN ST. EGOS. WHAT'S THE MATTER JOURNAL, IS THE DOWNTOWN TOO VOLATILE IN NATURE?

MS. BRONSTON, YOU'RE TOO GENTLE ON YOUR ANSWERS....BUT, THEN AGAIN, I MAY.....NO, I AM TOO BLUNT ON MINE.   
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 12:03pm
Well, we've heard from Laubach. He seems to have backed off on the rebel-like qualities he displayed early on. Some ideas are ok. Others not so much. Lesser of the town evils in Picard and Mort.

And now, we have Mort's interview......

MIDDLETOWN —
Ann Mort, like many, resented the 2008 Forbes article calling Middletown a “dying city.” Since being elected two years ago to the vacated First Ward seat, the former school board member said she has worked to change minds and support legislation to reverse the negative light that article cast over the city (while agreeing with the group that is dragging this town in the wrong direction with the wrong priorities)

Q: The city has been pretty active in recent years in Economic Development over the years, from tax incentives for industrial businesses along Yankee Road to buying buildings for Cincinnati State’s downtown campus. But there’s also been new interest in the city from the new owners of the Towne Mall, companies expanding or planning to expand into the city, and a proposed business park in the East End. Where do you see the next great push of economic development in the city?

“I hope that there would be some continued growth out around the interstate because that’s prime land and there’s always is going to be discussions around those properties.........And I see Middletown Moving Forward as being a part of that now.”

"I SEE MIDDLETOWN MOVING FORWARD AS BEING A PART OF THAT NOW". THAT DOES IT FOR ME ON THIS CANDIDATE. SHE IS PART OF THE PROBLEM IF SHE IS INVOLVED WITH THIS GROUP.

AND.....

Q: There’s the proposed Mad River Business Park and Henkle Schueler recently purchased property in the East End. There is also the Renaissance area and a newly revamped interstate interchange. Where does the East End development go from here?

A: “Probably not in the direction (planners) had originally planned but they’re trying to adhere to the master plan for that area, and updated it. It always need changing. We had a meeting with the Renaissance East and West businesses which came out of Middletown Moving Forward’s communication group, which I co-chair

DAM IF SHE DIDN'T MENTION MMF AGAIN AND ADMITS TO BEING A CO-CHAIR OF THEIR COMMUNICATIONS GROUP. THIS CANDIDATE IS RUNNING WITH THE SAME CROWD WHO IS TAKING THIS CITY DOWN THE DRAIN WITH THEIR MIS-DIRECTED, MIS-FOCUSED CLUSTERS AIMED AT BENEFITING ONLY A FEW SELECT CITIZENS.

THIS PERSON IS A POOR CHOICE IMO.

Q: It looks like Middletown will spend upwards of $2 million for the second straight year on roads for 2014. But for the previous few years, mainly because of the economy, roads weren’t given that much money to be repaired. Where does the city’s infrastructure rate in your priorities?

A: “It is very tough to come up with $2 million of paving every year.....

BUT IT WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN IF PAST COUNCILS HAD RE-INSTATED THE STREET REPAIR FUND IN A TIMELY MANNER. THE ECONOMY HAS ONLY BEEN AN ISSUE SINCE 2008. WHAT ABOUT THE PERIOD OF TIME BETWEEN THE MID-80'S UP TO 2008. WASN'T AN ISSUE THEN. NO, JOURNAL, THE ROADS WEREN'T REPAIRED BECAUSE PAST COUNCILS FAILED TO RETURN BORROWED FUNDING FOR THE STREETS AFTER THEIR "EMERGENCY" WAS OVER.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 12:11pm
I agree Mort could step right in to Kay's position,better than another term on council. Let's give Bronston a shot at it,can she do any worse than what we already have?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 12:17pm
Laubaugh hasn't shown up at any of the candidates forums. The FOP and fire have endorsed Bronston and Picard. I guess he will be at the council chambers this evening to answer questions. Doesn't seem like his heart is really in this race. JMO
Observer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 1:21pm
Over the Hill,

I saw the write up about the Union endorsements but were there other forums he missed?  To be honest i'm not surprised in the least he didn't seek their endorsement.  He's made his feelings regarding the budget very clear and there's no way either police or fire union would have endorsed Josh. I wouldn't expect Joe Mulligan to seek their endorsement in two years either, he seems to be of a similar mindset as Josh on the fire contract.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 1:48pm
Well that says a lot. I guess council has made up their mind about cutting 16 firefighters.I'm worried about the safety of Midd if we do cut that many firefighters. I wish we had another way. Maybe cut some other things like "assistants" to this and assistants to that. I'm pretty sure we can cut some positions down to part time and still get things done,like a part time law director. Maybe the "assistant" prosecutor could double up on the job.JMO
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 1:52pm
I hear Laubaugh actually works a full time job rat AK ight now.  Might be a bit busy with life's demands.
Itsa me, mario!
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 2:45pm
Why does anyone listen or pay attention to what a Fire Union has to say?  They will always object to any cuts, warn about dire consequences, and busy themselves cooking meals, checking fire protection systems, and testing hydrants.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 3:01pm
And picking up donuts and groceries every Sunday for an hour or more at Krogers or Marsh's.

Police just as bad. Saw a lady (young- not Jeffries maiden gal), parked at Arboretum a few weeks ago, slumped over another car she knew the driver, having casual conversation for over an hour, but by God, we got to raise those taxes for them or else. Could eliminate 1/2 or greater of fire fighters and no harm at all in Middletown.

All this stuff is made up of Picard supporting the fire fighters. It was all planned. The city created this false victimization where Becker supports police; Picard is the protector of the fire guys. All a set up by city hall, to simply get out the vote for a 2.25% tax rate (their goal state).

Not one of the candidates deserve a vote. Bronston, JL, Picard, Mort (brought in to raise taxes- not the non tax base). No one ever made an issue about resetting the % of funds back to 86 levels, not one.

Joke- why bother.

Same with the school levy- public workers pulling strings for the other, the problem in Middletown.         
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Observer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 3:23pm
Over the Hill,

Your response didn't mention anything about other forums Laubach may have missed.  I'm honest in asking if he missed another one.

I'm not really sure how my post "says a lot."  I'm drawing my conclusions from watching TVmiddletown like most people.  I'm sure the unions have no soft spot for Laubach, so it makes sense to me that he wouldn't seek their endorsement.  It would be like Gov. Kasich seeking the unions support after SB5, it's not going to happen so why bother.  Even if mulligan and laubach vote to cut fire positions that's still not a majority.  To say council has made their mind up seems like a stretch in my opinion.   
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 3:38pm
Don't know just my opinion. I think Laubaugh missed the fire and FOP meeting but what you said makes since in that they all have similar mind sets on fire and police.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic