FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jackolantern Looking Ward 2 Neighborhoods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jackolantern Looking Ward 2 Neighborhoods
    Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 4:36pm
I encourage everyone to take a drive along Crawford, Sutphin, Baltimore, Curtis, Garfield, etc.  You can see first hand the work of Mr. Atkins.  My only question is, "what are his plans to revitalize these now vacant lots?"  What impact positive or negative will this thinning out housing occur?  Will this large scale demolition stabilize or decrease property values of those dwellings still standing?
Voleye View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voleye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 10:45pm
I have been told they are green space.  I looked into a couple of the empty lots that connected with property I owned.  I was told I could purchase them,  but could not build anything on them.  That the city manager wanted green space.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 1:27pm
The city manager wouldn't know "green space" if she fell face first in to it! Green space is an asset if it's avalailable for enjoyment for everyone.
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 8:15am
While leaving the lots empty is not a good idea.  I think we ought to bulldoze more of the city and continue to move it toward the east end.  Get rid of everything to the east of the tracks and make it a giant park, with a nice bike trail.  Tongue 
Itsa me, mario!
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 1:20am
I can think of one area in Middletown that should have been bull dozed and made into a nice green space a long time ago...#1 Donham place the people that occupy the space (not counting the men & women in blue) serve no known useful purpose. jmo
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 6:13am
I agree that building is so ugly, its like going into a 1970's flashback. I would be so happy seeing that eyesore torn down. LOL
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

I can think of one area in Middletown that should have been bull dozed and made into a nice green space a long time ago...#1 Donham place the people that occupy the space (not counting the men & women in blue) serve no known useful purpose. jmo

Now wait a minute Bo.....I believe the city building was designed by a famous architect of the time and is a city treasure according to our city leaders. Someone correct me on that if not acccurate. Mike? Others?

It was built in the 70's, making it a candidate for demolition, if we used the school board criteria for building replacement. Since the school board is now a tenant of the city building, maybe we could get the city and school folks a-talkin' and knock her down.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 8:57am
Vet, if the bond levy passes, we will not tear down the "new" high school built in 1970.  We will renovate it, and add space under the same roof to substitute for the space currently used in the Manchester building, which would come down.  This will allow better security as students will not be passing back and forth between two buildings every 50 minutes.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 9:21am
Better Security? From what?

Students walking outside, like a university student would do between buildings. There is no security threat.

If you want to attend to security, recommendation to have the city of Middletown put the nonsensical cameras there at Breihel and Rosedale, which so many students and drivers run going 50 mph daily; that is a security risk.

Sounds like the Tasmanian building at Donham is safe from destruction. My question is, with Butler Cty losing students, how is Middletown expecting to increase through open enrollment- whom and from where? 
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

Vet, if the bond levy passes, we will not tear down the "new" high school built in 1970.  We will renovate it, and add space under the same roof to substitute for the space currently used in the Manchester building, which would come down.  This will allow better security as students will not be passing back and forth between two buildings every 50 minutes.

Ok, for understanding.....

You propose to spend money renovating the high school built in 1970 to add space to make up for the space lost by tearing down a building built in 1968. You use the reason as security, where the kids would (are) walking some 40 yards back and forth between buildings, in an area of town that is not exactly riddled with crime. The two buildings have been there for years. The students have been walking between the buildings for years. I don't recall reading where there has been an incident regarding student safety as you have stated nor have I heard a concern regarding safety until now. Has there been an incident(s) that hasn't been reported to the public? Is this an on-going issue? Wouldn't an overhead enclosed walkway to and from the buildings be a cheaper remedy than building on to the high school? Or, is the Manchester building in the way of your proposed new middle school, should the levy pass? If so, rather than to mention the safety aspect, isn't it just more accurate to say you want to make room for your new plans for the campus development?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Justsayin View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justsayin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 8:52pm
The Queen wants green. "As you wish" replies the council.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 5:48am
Can anyone provide pictures of how bad Ward 2 is getting carved out?
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 6:09am
By the Way here is the Cheapest House for Sale in Middletown for only $1,000

Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 9:13am
Yet another sad example of how the bureaucrats have (NOT) improved older neighborhoods via the expenditure of millions in HUD dollars.  And they call this department Community Revitalization??  Property value decline is the word of the day.  I wonder how many homeowners are grossly upside down on their mortgages?  Keep tearing those houses down Judy and Dougie.  You'd better budget even more funds for tall grass and weed mowing.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 9:52am
Ktf, Zillow says the auction STARTS at $1,000 they expect it to go for about $49,000 if I read it correctly.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 11:33am
still the fact they are starting it that low says something about the housing market in Middletown
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic