Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, April 26, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown Fall 2013 Voter Guide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 9:14am
It not just the students leaving Middletown, there are a lot of people that are leaving Middletown. Everywhere I look in the Ayrshire neighborhood I am seeing For Sale signs in yards of people who have nice and well maintained yards.  These are people who have lived in Middletown for years, who have had enough with the city.  And the people who are now moving into these houses, tend to be people who were able to get the houses dirt cheap and don't care about how their house looks like in the neighborhood. Just drive up Vancouver St., and you will see what I mean.

I can't blame the long time residents for leaving due to the once great school system that is now struggling to keep up with state standards. With the city government neglecting the streets and curbs of the neighborhoods where these people live in.  And add to that the rise of Section 8 people, crime, and drug addicts moving in these neighborhoods, they act like a cancer that slowly drives away the good people of a neighborhood, as replicates itself until the neighborhoods are dead and are no longer desirable to live in, except for other Section 8 residents.

I like to think I am optimistic about the future of Middletown. I do believe that efforts of the School Teachers and Staff are trying very hard to achieve a good raiting for the school dristrict. But they have a up hill battle thanks to the City allowing the Crime to increase thanks to Section 8 housing, and parents that would rather abuse and lock there kids in a basement, then be active and encourage their children to learn and be successful.

I strongly believe that we will start to see an increase in student scores and performance, once the City of Middletown begins to fix the crime problem, drives out the section 8 residents, and improve the infrastructure of the city, and change it's image on the evening news from being a town of shootings and animal / people abuse, to a city that is safe to live in and raise a family. Once that happens, Middletown will become desirable to live in again for the Middle and Upper income people. Once there is a healthy Community then the test score will rise on there own.

Yes a New school would help the environment that the students learn in, but it is only a small solution to a bigger problem. The main problem is the type of citizens we now have living in Middletown. You can have the best teachers, staff and all the tax money in the world for the school system, but if these kids go home to a house that has a parent that is a drug user, or abusive, or neglectful,  that child will act out in school and will lack the motivation to succeed in classes and in life. They will then fall into the trap of Crime, drug use, and Government dependency as they cycle keeps going generation after generation.

And that is why so many people on this forum believes that a new Middle School will not solve the bigger issues that are going on with Student Performance.

My parents suggested that I should vote for the new school, because it will help make the community more desirable to people not from the area, and it will raise property values. That would be true in Mason, and Springboro, but I am not sure if it will work in Middletown.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 6:46am
Ms. Andrew.....

"They built new buildings because they knew they needed them to compete with other top law schools for students. Same concept is a factor here -- all the surrounding public schools have built new buildings recently, and all have open enrollment"

BUT MIDDLETOWN IS NOT IN THE RUNNING TO COMPETE WITH SURROUNDING SCHOOL DISTRICTS. MORE PEOPLE LEAVING THE DISTRICT THAN COMING IN. PEOPLE ARE EITHER LEAVING MIDDLETOWN ALTOGETHER OR STAYING AND PULLING THEIR KIDS OUT OF THE MIDDLETOWN SCHOOLS TO ENROLL THEM IN CHARTER SCHOOLS AND SURROUNDING DISTRICTS WITH OPEN ENROLLMENT WITH BETTER ACADEMICS AND REPUTATION. ONE REASON THE MIDDLETOWN SCHOOLS HAVE A DECLINING ENROLLMENT, RIGHT MS. ANDREW?

CONTENT (AS IN EXCELLENT ACADEMICS), NOT NEW BUILDING SURFACE FLUFF GETS THE DISTRICT NOTICED AND STOPS THE DECLINE IN ENROLLMENT. NEW BUILDINGS ARE NOT A SELLING POINT IF PEOPLE KNOW THAT SUBPAR ACADEMICS ARE INSIDE.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 6:39am
Ms. Andrew......

"A new middle school may not magically a) improve schools [I guess you mean test scores; clearly a new school building will improve the school buildings], b) improve property values and c) increase enrollment, ALL BY ITSELF. BUT, it is a necessary piece of what must be done to achieve those three things".

NO!!!!!!! WRONG MS. ANDREW!!!!! WRONG!

YOUR STATEMENT..."IT IS A NECESSARY PIECE OF WHAT MUST BE DONE TO ACHIEVE THOSE THREE THINGS" IE- TEST SCORES, IMPROVE BUILDINGS, AND IMPROVE PROPERTY VALUES.

THE "NEW" ELEMENTARIES HAVE BEEN IN PLACE SINCE 2003.(IS THAT YEAR CORRECT?) THAT GIVES US 10 YEARS TO EVALUATE WHAT THE "NEW" SCHOOL BUILDING THEME HAS DONE FOR US. HAVE THEY INCREASED TEST PERFORMANCE? NOT REALLY. NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE AN IMPACT TO ADVANCE THE SCHOOL'S RATING. YES, THEY HAVE UPGRADED THE SCHOOL BUILDING FACILITIES.....SO WHAT? THE ELEMENTARIES LOOK LIKE SMALL COLLEGE CAMPUSES BUT NOTHING EARTH-SHATTERING HAS COME FROM THESE NEW FACILITES. BEEN ABOUT THE SAME AS WHAT THE OLD ELEMENTARIES WERE PRODUCING HASN'T IT? IS THERE AN ADVANTAGE IN THE NEW BUILDINGS? DOESN'T LOOK LIKE IT. AND, THOSE PROPERTY VALUES.......THE BUTLER COUNTY AUDITOR HAS ACTUALLY DE-VALUED MIDDLETOWN PROPERTIES IF YOU LOOK AT THE AUDITOR'S SITE. LIKE ALOT OF TOWNS OVER THE LAST 5 YEARS, PROPERTY VALUE HAS GONE DOWN ALONG WITH PROPERTY TAXES. THE NEW ELEMENTARIES DIDN'T MAKE ONE BIT OF IMPACT IN HOLDING PROPERTY VALUES IN CHECK. IN A BAD ECONOMY, PEOPLE AREN'T NOTICING HOW NICE THE SCHOOLS ARE. THEY'RE JUST WORRIED IF THEY'LL HAVE A JOB TOMORROW OR NOT AND HOW THEY'LL PAY THE BILLS COMING UP. YOUR ARGUMENTS FOR BUILDING NEW SCHOOLS IS CHECKMATED BY WHAT THE ELEMENTARIES HAVE PRODUCED. THEY ARE A CLASSIC COMPARISON BETWEEN THE RESULTS OF PERFORMANCE IN AN OLD SCHOOL VERSUS PERFORMANCE IN A NEWLY BUILT SCHOOL......NO REAL DIFFERENCE IN END RESULTS. IF SO, WHY DO YOU STILL WANT TO BUILD YOUR MIDDLE SCHOOL MS. ANDREW? BECAUSE YOUR BOARD AND THE SCHOOL PEOPLE JUST WANT A NEW BUILDING TO WORK IN, THAT'S IT. MIS-FOCUSED REASON TO MENTION THAT "IF WE GET THE VOTERS, ONCE AGAIN, TO LET GO OF SOME MORE BOND MONEY, THE STATE WILL PONY UP 26% OF THE COST (OR WHATEVER PERCENTAGE THEY WILL PAY). DON'T UNDERSTAND----THE DEAL IS IN THE BARGAIN BIN SO LET'S BUY IT, EVEN THOUGH THE LAST BOND LEVY WE ASKED PEOPLE TO ACCEPT DIDN'T PRODUCE ANY REAL ROI ON OUR INVESTMENT? THE SECOND GO-AROUND IN YOUR BOND LEVY PLAN FOR A NEW MIDDLE SCHOOL IS NOT WORTH APPROVING BASED ON YOUR FIRST ROUND OF BOND LEVY MONEY END RESULTS. THIS THINKING REMINDS ME OF THE STAY AT HOME MOM WHO WATCHES THE SHOPPING NETWORKS ON SAT TV AND BUYS ITEMS JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE ON SALE, NOT BECAUSE IT IS REALLY NEEDED.

YOU NEED TO PROVE TO US TAXPAYERS THAT THE MONEY SPENT ON THE ELEMENTARIES WAS A GOOD DEAL BEFORE YOU COME AT US AGAIN WITH ROUND TWO FOR A MIDDLE SCHOOL. YOU HAVE NOT DONE THAT AS YET. TO DATE, WE THE PEOPLE, HAVE GOTTEN NOTHING FOR APPROVING YOUR 45 MIL BOND LEVY. WHY ARE YOU ASKING FOR MORE? NEW SCHOOLS OR NOT, WE'RE STILL AT THE BOTTOM ON INDICATORS, PROFICIENCY TESTING AND STUCK IN CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT. WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE OF SPENDING MORE MONEY IF THE PERFORMANCE REMAINS THE SAME? DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY LEVY APPROVERS DON'T SEE THAT.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 7:40pm
A vote for this levy is, in part, a continuing manifestation of our "suburbia inferiority complex", as if trying to build schools that look on the outside like a school in Mason or West Chester will magically take us there.  
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 5:36pm
Acclaro, I have not admitted any of those things.  A new middle school may not magically a) improve schools [I guess you mean test scores; clearly a new school building will improve the school buildings], b) improve property values and c) increase enrollment, ALL BY ITSELF. BUT, it is a necessary piece of what must be done to achieve those three things.  Also, I think that a new middle school, even if no other improvement occurs, will increase enrollment, because currently a decent number of families, who have been happy enough with the (new) elementaries, leave the district rather than send their kids to Vail.

I have no knowledge about UVA Business School (Darden), but the law school has not increased its class size.  I graduated in 1988 with a class size of 375.  I just checked their website and this year's class is 357.  They built new buildings because they knew they needed them to compete with other top law schools for students.  Same concept is a factor here -- all the surrounding public schools have built new buildings recently, and all have open enrollment.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 5:02pm
processor, please allow me to correct such suggestion of acceptance of Middletown's demise; my point was the wrong leadership, my analogy in the medicine man, in the form of current council, is wrong and ill equipped for the challenges it faces, with the exception of raising taxes, Simply put, that is inevitable. It will come, so one choses to move out and move on, or hunker down, and be prepared to be taxed.
Ms. Andrew has objectively admitted:
1) The new school, Vail, will NOT:
     a) Improve schools
     b) Improve property values
     c) Increase enrollment
Hence; what is left- but a choice of leaving Middletown, avoiding Middletown, or accepting the fate of taxes?
As for motivating students whom don't wish to be motivated, or care, or have dire situations, which we comprehend, if we are to cheerlead now, who does so at the university/ college level? Professors don't, be prepared, or fail. Further, 45% of college grads can't find employment in their field or major; graduating attorneys are working as paralegals for 12.00/hr; physicians are leaving Family Practice, et al. A building does not inspire, nor motivate; hope and drive does, and seeing some glimmer of hope at the end of the tunnel. All for providing light....just am not sold on the rather anemic payment of the building light, and heat, as a sole means of justification of a building.

Ms. Andrew, Darden and UVa law buildings were renovated because of growth, and UVa's great academics for price pt. I can name 20 buildings at Washington and Lee built in the 1800's that are used for classrooms, that chemistry majors use, as with countless institutions.

For some reason, Ohio has property owners trained, a building must be torn down every 30-40 years, and a new one built, when surrounded by state and private universities coveting classes in 200 year old buildings. Apparently, William and Mary and Harvard haven't figured out they could save electricity by destroying their buildings every 40 years. .    

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 4:23pm
Acclaro,
How, on the one hand, can you deride the city council and school board for trying to improve Middletown and, in your most recent post, promote accepting a do nothing fatalism?

Reasonable people can disagree on methods, but I can't accept advocating...just let Middletown die.  Maybe it will, but we should go down swinging.

Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 4:14pm
Aptly put, Acclaro.  So sad to read the commentaries of Vivian Moon, VietVet, Mike Presta, etc.  They're painfully aware of the better days here.  I commend them for trying to bring about badly needed change.  Stay the course, people.  There is always hope for better days.  You do yeoman work in keeping the bureaucrats and politicians on their toes.

ClapClapClap
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 3:33pm
Change takes a village and organization, and of course, leadership.

The failure to the present, has been leadership. The Forbes article seemingly incited current council members for a call to arms. Using an analogy, FORBES is highly respected and certainly objective, not written with malice or deliberate attempt to inflict harm. The publication was like going to an oncologist, and being told you have six months to live, get your affairs in order, and make the best of your time.

Present council members and MMF, did not like the prognosis. They acted like an ancient witch doctor, and told the patient, no, I don't see it that way. I just have a bad cough, I am going to go for my run, and act like this never happened. Unfortunately, the leadership is the Indian medicine man, not the trained oncologist, as the leadership.

Most people I know are hunkering down, prepared to stay here for life (forgetting about that move to South Carolina or Florida for retirement), and insulated. In other words, doing exactly what sj described.

But....the continuation of the use of taxes on depreciating assets just won't fly going forward. If it does, Roger Reynolds better hire some extra staff and request added budget $ from the commissioners, to handle the property tax appeals.

I recommend you adhere to the oncologist (Forbes) and not the medicine man (council), when plotting your future steps. 

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 3:32pm
I do not want to see our fire and police decreased in numbers. With the increase in crime and drugs we cannot afford stretching our safety to the breaking point. There has to be more cuts that can be made in the city building. Why do we have so many "assistants" to this and that? Can't we double up on some jobs? Reduce some more waste? I keep thinking back to when Judy came and immediately "lobbied" for changing the city logo,what kind of expense was that with all the letter heads being changed the water towers being repainted the signs being redone? Now we have the lawyer expense from the HUD fiasco. Stop funneling money else where. Council needs to reinstate the road fund. There has to be more ways to cut waste to save our safety!!! She focuses on "fluff" instead of "substance"!! JMO
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 3:27pm
Vet--The state forecasts student enrollment over 10 years, looking at population trends and other data.  The estimate a slight drop followed by a slight increase, with the end result after 10 years being basically the same numbers as now.

My reference to safety at the high school is to the fact that, due to hundreds of students crossing between the two buildings every class period, the entrances cannot be locked down effectively against armed intruders.  No, there have not been any undisclosed incidents of that sort, but I hope you are not suggesting that we should wait to act until after there is a tragedy? Unfortunately, shooters seem to be targeting schools with increasing frequency. There is a similar problem at the middle school, between the annex and the main building.  Both buildings have dozens of entrances and exits.  New/renovated buildings would allow for modern security/lockdown systems.  I am not saying that this was the main motivating reason for the building plan; but it is a significant benefit that can be achieved.

My reference to efficiency is primarily energy costs.  We spend 1/3 of the district's energy costs on the middle school, which is one of 10 school buildings. The high school is also very energy inefficient.  The systems in the new elementary buildings have allowed us to save hundreds of thousands of dollars every year since they were built.  There also are opportunities for efficiencies having the middle school and high school on the same campus, in transportation, athletic facilities, and high school level classes for 7th and 8th graders.

Modernization--one example is constructing classroom spaces that allow for more flexible configurations, to permit the team work and collaboration that schools are now required to incorporate into the curriculum as part of the new Ohio state standards/21st century learning skills.  Another example is the science labs.  I'm sure at the time they were built 40+ years ago, they were considered state of the art, but not so any more.  These are just examples.

ktf--I agree with all of the issues you identified that impact student achievement.  The schools are doing what we can, but we can't control all of these factors and I agree that it will take a larger effort.  It does seem that many people in Middletown don't care or try.  Why not send a message to the children of Middletown that we care enough about them to invest in modern, safe efficient schools, and give them hope and a reason to make the effort to learn and succeed?

When you researched student test scores, did you see that Middletown ranks 21st in the state (out of 800+ districts and charter schools) on its rate of improvement, as measured by what the state calls Value Added? Middletown scored an A on this measure.

Acclaro--I do not understand your point about Darden and Charlottesville. After I graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law in Charlottesville, the business school (Darden) built an entirely new modern building, and the Law School took over the adjacent business school and renovated the "old" law school and the business school to such an extent that you can't even recognize them.  Obviously both the business school and the law school valued new buildings -- even though the buildings they replaced were relatively new; they were not from the 1800's when the original campus was built by Thomas Jefferson.

Processor--you are right, we are not arguing that new school buildings will improve test scores. We have put in place several key initiatives that will--and have already started to--improve test scores. But, if we keep having to spend money patching up old buildings and heating them, etc, that is money that could have gone to improving teaching skills or buying new technology for the classroom.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 3:11pm
SJ I am with you in that I seem to be the eternal optimist. I still want Midd to be a good place to live.Like you I guess I'm happy here in my own little world. I wish their was a magic wand to wave but there isn't . So we just hang on and hope for the best. I would like to do whatever I can in my own little way. But I think "it takes a village"!!!
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 1:41pm
Well said Spider.  I disagree with your point about the elimination of the ward system but other than think you're right on.  7 people were just too many for council.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 1:38pm
Very well stated sj.

I believe Middletown is at a tipping point. The city is throwing favors and money to keep residents in the city, including attorneys who support the court system, residents in key locations (ThornHill is a mess, but with new fire hydrants, new paved roads, and the new extention, escape route to Rosedale, maybe that will help a few from leaving), its an effort focused upon keeping the core from falling from within.

My suggestion: all or none. Suck it up and hit the residents with the tax increase, or make cuts, start improving efficiencies, and the district----start producing results.

The drip, drip, drip, of the occasional tax hits, school levies, is taxes is only the true solution for Middletown, unless the federal government starts paying the city for streets, fire and police, and such. 85% of expenditures for to salaries and benefits for public safety. No one is willing to make the cuts.

I would respect a leader who would simply state the obvious, and get it over. Raise taxes to 2.25%, state things will only get WORSE if Vail is not built, moved to east end, and pass a levy to repair roads. Middletown right now, is like Russia. Too much body mass, and too little capital based upon what it owns (so unfortunate it could not just function on its core duties), than revenues flowing in. Living in Middletown is headed towards the risk associated with boarding an Aeroflot jet, which Russia cannot maintain. Really unfortunate for all.

As sj states, art is not the magic pill; it is a sleeping pill, a mood elevator. Time to step up and take hit on taxes, or bolt. There is no alternative....other than carving out your own micro world.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 12:30pm
Hate to butt in----but
Vail has to go, unfortunately Wade E with it, though outside of the court and stands, the behind the scenes part is an embarrassment. That building is toast, and the update is really not possible.
I hate to see everything shift east because I favor balance within our community--
balance in location of schools creates pride in neighborhoods and community--moving everything east is inconvenient to many, and will lead to the old schools areas being ignored more than they are now.
Another reason that I still disagree with the elimination of the ward system.
To imply that each area is not capable of producing quality city gov representatives is somewhat a slap in the face to many. All current leaders are east-enders, with the result being less than impressive. They don't seem to be that much more aware or on the ball imo.

As a small business owner(getting smaller every day!), the mid-city losses from the hospital move and multi-school closings hve been devastating(not to mention drawn-out road closings). It has changed the whole flow of our community, and probably not for the better. There is not much flow any more.

I like the school board members and the new super
I am impressed with the faculty dedication
I expect results to slowly improve, though it will be tough and take time due to overwhelming demographics
We already over-payper pupil with property taxes and per student cost. Passing the levy won't cure that, and add to it. There has to be a property owner/public payback somewhere in this.
We read often about lesser areas moving to academic improvement/excellence--it HAS to start happening here quickly--no more excuses--only positive results or it will all be wasted.

Our image to those outside of the city is terrible.
We must become a desirable community/destination.
Art has only been a blip on the screen so far.
It will only attract a few, and will always need to be subsidized.
I have lived here for my entire life--I am happy here in my own little world, and can function on any street in town without worry. Others aren't that fortunate. Now with the city threatening to cut 12 more police officers, we are headed towards a real $$ crisis. As acclaro states, our city has spent us into a deep hole. If we lose fed HUD $$ and keep the Sec 8 vouchers(or maybe INCREASE them) and cut public safety, it is hard to see things getting better any time soon.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 12:10pm
processor, I believe brick and mortar provides little benefit. I understand Ohio dictates under the statutes/ articles, guidelines for sq ft utilization, students in rooms, and so on.
I believe in accountability and performance against expenditure. The results have not been there associated with the initial strategic plan.
My analogy is more akin to this:
I am cold, and outside often and winter is approaching. My boots have holes in them, falling apart, and my socks are wet.
That is the condition of the streets and sewers.
The new school and moving it to a central locale is nothing but 'window dressing'. It has not benefit to test scores, enhanced enrollment, nor property valuation. In fact, it without doubt, will lead to decreased demand and lowered property values; residents and companies don't want to be saddled by high taxation with limited or no benefit.
The school building, in the clothing analogy, is a belt. When I am cold, have poor shoes, and no socks, that takes priority over a belt holding the pants up.
I find it to be a complete oxymoron the city relishes history, aged buildings, and the school district wants Vail moved to east end, with the hope and prayer, more residents will move in. There are too many other crucial elements missing, that negate that from occurring.    
All things being equal, I believe most would benefit from better roads, and putting those funds at work, than a school building for the reasons discussed. Lets call it a 'stack rank' of expenditures. 
I do like out of season sales though, when I have a future need. I see Vail movement at the bottom of a very long list of needs. The voting blocks probably will disagree. 
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 11:47am
Acclaro,
Apparently we disagree about the need for a new middle school and it's benefit toward improving demand for Middletown property.  I strongly think that Vail needs to go.  Given it's location I don't believe that re-habbing Vail makes any sense.  To me, given that we need a new middle school I can accept the poor timing.  To use your analogy it's like buying your winter coat on sale in June.  Don't need it for 5 more months, but will need it and might as well save the money.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 11:20am
processor, I understand your position.

My netting this out is this; if there is a requirement to fund infrastructure, and the costs are high, and these include roads and sewers, school buildings/ add-ons/ improvements, and basic expenses which any business or resident would demand, then expenditures have to be prioritized. The highest priority begins with roads and sewers, as it is self evident to any resident or business, a community that would build a school building while letting its road structure and sewer system decline, has the wrong priorities. They are inter-twined. One cannot have just school buildings, and not the accompanying roads and sewers in an acceptable state.

Likewise, in an ideal and reasonable, well thought world, positive school scores, increased demand for students and growth, would lead to buildings, not simply having tax payers pay their portion of funds to match the state %, which would still be significant to pave the streets , and benefit a far number of individuals and businesses. Simply supporting a levy because state money is available is akin to loading the American Express card with debt simply because Saks is having  50% sale for items not needed under the circumstances..  
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 11:01am
Acclaro,
I totally agree that there is little to no correlation between new buildings and student performance.  I haven't heard anyone in the district make that argument.  To try and turn around demand for property in Middletown and improve property values, as you point out, infrastructure improvement is one necessary condition; roads, sewer lines, and school buildings.  In an ideal world academic improvement would come before buildings, but it's not an ideal world. 

I also agree that just because the state is offering money doesn't make the decision to build/rehab school buildings the right choice.  The buildings need to be done sometime in the next few years and, unfortunately, the state money will not be there in the next few years...it's here now.  So even though the timing is not ideal, given the buildings need to be done I support taking the state's money and getting them done now. 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 10:37am
Ms. Andrew, I appreciate the position you take as with all Board members, regarding the school. You are their advocate.

In that regard, on the levy, we will disagree.

I attended Darden at the time you were in Charlottesville. I went in many classes in buildings that were aged, and the only aspect of being in the 21st century required, then, now, and forward, is high speed data bandwidth, fast cpu's, and knowledge of interactive capabilities. I have been in Frank L. Wright buildings, ultra modern, high efficient ones, and also in classrooms and dorms (my uncle had 6 kids go through UVa, all lived on The Lawn), built in the early 1800's.

There is absolutely no correlation between buildings and academic performance. None.

These expenditures protect payroll tax, fuel expenditures for construction, and that's about the extent of it. While you and Board and the city state you are joined at the hip, the city espouses downtown, while the district desires to move out of downtown, and you have admitted at best, enrollment will be flat. Of course, that also confirms a school building (new), does nothing with raising property values, especially so when enrolment is flat.

So....we have a flat or declining number in the district, no correlation with new building and bringing school district to excellence, and technology only, brings an academic institution into the 21st century and beyond.

Lets be frank; the Board thinks as it was told by families they'd like to be closer for a middle school to be more Central to east end, that is reason for building. Okay with that....if it drove numbers in, raised scores to excellence, and provided benefit. Put $45 Mm- $60 Mm in roads, not a building.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 10:30am
Sorry for the Grammar error, I didn't catch it until after the 5 min. edit timer was up ><
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 10:24am
The real questions are the following: 
What can the Schools, City Government, Business and the Citizens do to help improve the test scores?

How can we help children succeed in a city that has major issues of Poverty, drug use, crime, abuse and a foreclosures?

How can we get parents to be active in there children's academic performance?

Yes I do agree a new school would be nice, and maybe help attract some more people to Middletown. However, if you do the research on Zillow.com or look at the state scores, you should ask your self, Would I want to send my children to Middletown City Schools, or should I enroll them in to a private school, or just move to another city that have much better scores, even though it may result in longer drive, or a higher housing price?

The main reason we moved to Middletown was mainly because we were not married and we have no kids, we like the conveniences near I-75, it is located in between both places we work, and we got a good sized house for a real cheap price in the safer Ayrshire neighborhood.

We have been living at our place going on 2 years now, granted we love our home, we find it sad that we have to fight to get any city service to be done. We find it sad that the City takes care of Downtown, than the rest of the city. We find it sad that the schools systems performance is so bad that the School Board feels to improve academic performance  they need a new building.

We find it sad the the crime and drug problem in Middletown is so bad that we hear nothing but problem is so bad, that all we hear anymore besides the trains, it the Police and Fire sirens at all hours of the day.

We find it sad the people who live in Middletown don't care about the city they live in. Instead the people of Middletown leave junk in the yards, don't cut the grass, and throw trash in other peoples yards without caring. And even let their pets go to the bathroom on any yard that is near by without picking it up.  Also there are cars parked on the streets that never move.

We also find it sad that home sit vacant or don't sell for years at a time.

Finally we find it just pathetic that the roads in middletown have not been maintained or repaved in over 40 years, instead the city clowncile would rather pour money into Weatherwax, Downtown, south Main Street, and putting up pretty lights instead of maintaining its infrastructure.

Our house won't be able to be put up for sale until year 5, If things stay the way they are we may just pack up and move out of Middletown.  I have hope that things will change for the better, lets just hope we put the right people in charge.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

Acclaro, the reason we are seeking funds for a new middle school and renovated high school is NOT to expand capacity; it is to improve safety and efficiency and to modernize classrooms to meet the needs of the 21st Century.  The state has done studies to forecast enrollment and predicts basically flat enrollment for Middletown.  The plans for the new/renovated buildings would keep student capacity about the same as now.

Ms. Andrew, realizing your response was to acclaro, I would like to offer some thoughts in relation to the subject matter......

To address the enrollment in the Middletown schools- the article in the Journal yesterday informed us that the Middletown district, along with others, has been seeing a decline in enrollment for years. It does not suggest a "flat enrollment" but rather a decline. If declining enrollment, why are the schools being designed for student capacity as it is now? Do you expect enrollment to increase at some point in time and why do you think it will?

For informational purposes, could you elaborate on your comments concerning the safety, efficiency and the modernization of the classrooms? Specifics on your reasons as to why this needs to be done? What would be some needs for the 21st century? Thank you in advance.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 9:02am

Acclaro, the reason we are seeking funds for a new middle school and renovated high school is NOT to expand capacity; it is to improve safety and efficiency and to modernize classrooms to meet the needs of the 21st Century.  The state has done studies to forecast enrollment and predicts basically flat enrollment for Middletown.  The plans for the new/renovated buildings would keep student capacity about the same as now.

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 1:16am

My paycheck keeps buying less and less now they want more tax money for a house that I'm 25% upside down in? I'm about a chicken hair away from tossing in the towel on this land of illusion of a city. Why do 95% of all elected officials make no sense these days? Does getting elected to an office cause ones brain to permanently fly off into lala land ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic