Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, March 29, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Middletown police ID crooks targeting local busine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown police ID crooks targeting local busine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown police ID crooks targeting local busine
    Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 8:16am

From Channel 5 WLWT News on 11-12-2013

http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/butler-county/middletown-police-id-crooks-targeting-local-businesses/-/13601510/22941698/-/1vdqos/-/index.html

MIDDLETOWN, Ohio —Police are cracking down on shoplifting after police said thieves are targeting stores that include Kroger, Meijer, Lowes, and CVS.

These criminals are brazen working in teams as they walk into stores and swipe from the shelves.

Middletown police have been aggressively targeting these groups and with the holiday shopping season approaching and success they've had the crackdown will continue.

Watch this story

In September, Kroger and Middletown police gave WLWT an exclusive look at how the thieves operate targeting popular items such as tide, alcohol, Red Bull and batteries.

They would load up the carts and then head out the door in a getaway car and then sell the products to a fence could be a flea market of online business to get drug money.

By working with local businesses Middletown police said they've been able to positively id these crooks and made more arrests than anticipated 116 total.

“Out of the 116, 69 were organized and that's who we were going after. So we consider this an absolute success and it will continue. If you come to Middletown and you come to our retail stores and you steal, there’s a good chance, if it's not immediate, you will eventually be found out and charges will be filed,” Middletown police Sgt. Steve Ream said.

Ream says about 70 percent to 80 percent of those arrested have already pleaded guilty.

Police said they also made 44 warrant arrests and seized nearly two dozen cars in just six weeks.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 9:35am
nothing new--been going on for decades
glad to finally see police involvement
need to get to the sourses--ie...ringleaders/dope dealers involved/ most importantly businesses regularly buying the merchandise

with the court system treating these thieves as non-criminals, the crooks have very little to lose on the bottom end
getting info from them and following through to hurt the enablers(the REAL crux OF THE ISSUE) could go a long way towards helping local retailers--PROTECT US!!
that is why public safety is here

why no vocal support from Chamber of Commerce?
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 10:20am
If Walmart and some of these other "targeted" stores started offering rewards for the arrests and convictions I'm willing to bet that it would slow this down. Nothing is more appealing to a junkie then a few hundred dollars of easy money.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 10:35am
Increase in thefts........should create more loss prevention jobs. Twofold benefits......hopefully reduce theft rates and create more jobs.

Old Les and Seth Gold on Hardcore Pawn have no problem with hiring some fairly large security people to man-handle the problem children of society at their store. Wonder if that would work at the local Wal-mart, Krogers, Meijers, etc.? Think a few 6 ft 8 in security people could hold the thieves for the cops?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 11:34am

This is part of a report I saw on WLWT 5 news Monday Nov. 4, 2013:

"Middletown tops the state in property crimes.

Nationally, compared to other cities the same size, Middletown had the second-most burglaries, thefts, motor vehicle thefts and arsons, per capita.

Middletown reported 4,039 crimes against property last year.

Also, in both cities, police departments have been forced to make cuts. Middletown was down 17 officers; 21 in Hamilton.

"So we don't have as much discretionary patrol time where we can have officers out there in the community trying to suppress crime," Reeve said.

Although Middletown is number one in the state, its overall crime rate has dropped from the previous year by seven percent."

This report will certainly help our image and reputation. Council allowed Judy to lay off patrol officers earlier this year, even though we were just starting the fifth year of a five-year levy that guaranteed no lay offs. Those lay offs brought the number of officers on the streets to the lowest number in about 50 years. Also, remember that every time they hired a patrol officer, another patrol officer moved up to Sgt. and a Sgt. up to Lt. Therefore MPD had more chiefs than Indians, and the average officer in Middletown cost us more than any other average officer that I could find (including New York City). Thanks council and Judy for one more nail in the coffin of Middletown.

Oh, I almost forgot, Middletown was number 3 in the whole country for the most property crimes. Since the police don't answer their phone (other than 911) I would have to believe that the true crime numbers are much higher.

Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 12:09pm
I am seeing more and more people in my Neighborhood getting Home Security Service,I am debating the same thing now that there is a foreclosure next door to me.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 1:03pm

Police responded to the 2800 block of Tytus Avenue for a possible overdose. Paramedics revived Dustin Toler, 19, who overdosed on heroin, according to a police report. The Middletown Fire Department transported Toler to Atrium Medical Center.

A burglary was reported in the 3100 block of Ottawa Street. Jayonna Gatewood, 18, told 911 dispatchers that her father had been tied up. Police found Timothy Duffy, 28, “hog tied,” according to a police report. Duffy told police three males confronted him and knocked him out.

An assault was reported in the 6800 block of Spring Garden Street. The victim said someone grabbed her by her arm, pulled her out of a car and then placed her in a head lock. Officers observed several bruises on the victim, according to a police report.

Nov. 7

A burglary was reported in the 1700 block of Carolina Street. The victim told police she was afraid to go inside her house because someone had kicked in her door. Police did not find anyone inside, but drawers were dumped and several personal items were scattered in a bedroom. A gift card valued at $360 was reported stolen. The back door was unlocked at the time of the incident, according to a police report.

Police responded to 2601 Yankee Road, where they were advised someone was stealing a catalytic converter. Lee Gibson, 42, hit a person and another vehicle with his vehicle while attempting to flee the scene, according to a police report. Gibson was arrested for theft, assault, hit-skip, fleeing the scene and right of way from a private drive.

The Special Operations Unit and patrol officers executed a narcotics search warrant in the 1600 block of Lawn Avenue after receiving complaints of drug activity and drug trafficking. During the search, officers found empty capsules used to contain heroin, needles and snorting straws. Police arrested Robert Spurlock, 28, for permitting drug abuse, possession of drug abuse instruments and a bench warrant for failure to comply. Police arrested Shane Coffman, 26, for tampering with evidence, drug abuse/heroin and possession of drug abuse instruments. Police arrested Robyn Spurlock, 27, for drug paraphernalia and endangering children. Police arrested Janelle Spurlock, 50, for a bench warrant for permitting drug abuse. yep Middletown needs less cops!!! yes sir!!! that's it!!! and more overpaid paper pushers in city hall!!

Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 3:04pm
Nick, thanks for telling it like it is!!  ClapClap
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 11:24pm

Perplexed, you probably knew about Barbara Castell condemning a property of mine when there was nothing wrong with it. She had sent me a letter ordering me to appear (even though only a judge can order someone to appear) before her on a date and time she had set. I appeared on the date and time she set, but I was told that she was absent (I later learned that when she was harassing people, that she would hide in her office and have her staff tell people she was absent). I then took Ray Morris (second in command) to the house and had it inspected. There was nothing wrong with the house, nor were any permits needed and Ray signed off on the letter.

About two weeks later, I got my mother who had a massive stroke. A day or two after I got my mom, Barbara Castell condemned the house. I could not fight the city, take care of my mom and run my business too (Vet you’ll understand this). I explained what had happened to city leaders but Barbara kept that house condemned for many years. Even when I tried to maintain the building the building inspection dept. would put up a new condemned sign ($100 fine for working on a condemned house).

Once I was painting the door trim on the front porch, when I left to get my mother and me some lunch. When I got back, a new condemned sign had been taped to the door window and a large rock thrown through it. The window, the sign and the rock were lying on the floor inside the house. I was sure the inspector had broken the window since I was only gone about an hour. It wasn’t until Barbara Castell admitted that she had stuck her arm through the window, that I knew that the inspector had broken the window. Had the inspector taped up the sign and left, even if he came back by he would not have time to get Barbara out before I returned from lunch. I left my mother there with a friend and went to Lowes and bought a replacement window. The window was replaced within an hour of my return from lunch. A week or so later Barbara Castell had the building boarded up. When I (with witnesses) made the city remove the boards there was not one broken window.

I (along with two witnesses) finally met with Barbara and her witnesses and proved that she had criminally condemned the house (we had Ray Morris tell the truth). Therefore, she and the city were responsible for my lost rent, the losses from vandalism (with a big condemned sign on the house) and all my expenses while it was condemned. I never received one cent from the city, but I did get constantly harassed. Working on the house next door that I owned, I was written up for pealing paint because we were scraping the house to paint it. Another time I was hauled into court for not having a screen on every window because I had removed the storm window with the screen in order to paint the window frame. The window with screen was down about 2-3 hours.

This was why when Gilleland got here she put out a warrant on me, because I wanted a little honesty and integrity out of the city building. She also put both of my properties on her tear down list years ago.

While I was trying to save my nephew’s life (I had raised my nephew for nearly thirty years- he had cancer in has face since he was nine years old – he was more of a son to me than he was a nephew) the city tore down both of my properties. My nephew lost his battle and died recently. I can never inflict enough pain on council, Judy, Doug and Tuttle to get even, but I can certainly try. Bankruptcy and prison would be a good start.

I will tell you more about the harassment and dishonesty in the city building later.

Needless to say, city council and Judy, Doug and Tuttle will have to face what scares them most – the truth. For many years I have been telling the citizens of Middletown the truth about the corruption in the city. Now it is time to have them prosecuted. We already have HUD in here and under the RICO statutes lets put them in prison.
Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 9:38am
Nick, don't forget the female Code Enforcement person who had it in for you as well.  They are like a pack of wolves and will go to no limit to protect their own.  Who knows how many of the 100's of houses Doogie is demolishing that are financially feasible of being rehabbed.  Of course, he saw no problem in renovating Ward 3 homes with up to $75,000 each via the NSP fiasco.  When I first arrived in Middletown I was told to watch out for people like Paul Nagy, you, Mike Presta, Impala 409, Tony Marconi, David Schiavone, Adrienne Scherer, etc.  Once you are on their hit list life will become difficult.  Thanks for sharing this, Nick.   We both speak the truth.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Perplexed Perplexed wrote:

Nick, don't forget the female Code Enforcement person who had it in for you as well.  They are like a pack of wolves and will go to no limit to protect their own.  Who knows how many of the 100's of houses Doogie is demolishing that are financially feasible of being rehabbed.  Of course, he saw no problem in renovating Ward 3 homes with up to $75,000 each via the NSP fiasco.  When I first arrived in Middletown I was told to watch out for people like Paul Nagy, you, Mike Presta, Impala 409, Tony Marconi, David Schiavone, Adrienne Scherer, etc.  Once you are on their hit list life will become difficult.  Thanks for sharing this, Nick.
  We both speak the truth.

Sounds like a class action lawsuit for harassment to me. Surprises me to see Tony Marconi, David Schiavone and Adrienne Scherer on the list. Weren't they in the "Friends of City Hall" group? As councilmen and a person involved in the downtown as Ms. Scherer is, I wouldn't think they would ever be a target. All were (are) on the city's side of things, right?

This little "watch out for specific people in the city" thing they've got going indicates they are a vindictive little bunch of buggers down there doesn't it? How pathetic that they are that intimidated by the people living here who choose to speak their mind. What weak, insecure personalities. Sad.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 1:37pm
Vet
I can testify first hand about the " vindictive little bunch" down at City Hall. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic