FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Say it ain't so...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Historic House Guy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Say it ain't so...
    Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 1:53pm
I just went to Dillman Grocery and all the shelves are half empty. At first I thought they may have got wiped out from the people freaked out about the storm so I asked and I was told they might be closing. Might be? sure looks that way to me. Why else would you let the stock get that low? Many things marked as clearance as well.

This will be a sad day for Middletown if this is so. A lot of people depend on that store but I can understand if those people just don't bring in enough money to keep it operating. Still sad though Cry
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 5:02pm
I keep wondering about this. Is the store not sustainable or is it because the profits aren't enough or, "like they use to be". Times have changed. You wont see 3% in a savings account any more. Doe's that mean you shouldn't save? So you can't get 10% ROI out of a business any more; doe's that mean you shouldn't have a business? Where do these people think they're going to run off to and make things better? What about the 20 people you left jobless just because you don't feel you're being paid enough for your time? Is their no one local that would step in and keep the store open? Do you feel even slightly responsible for this since you've made so many posts about how bad this city is or will this just justify your opinion because you made it so?

I hope when you consider the sale of this building you will consider the hopelessness that made you give up and let someone else have an opportunity without you holding it ransom.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 5:41pm
HHG,
       How absolutely rude and obnoxious of you to post such questions and comments to someone who has (and his family) provided so many jobs in Middletown for decades and has contributed so much to the community over and over again. If you can't do better than that you should quit posting.
        Paul Nagy

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 5:52pm
I'm sorry, should we only ask hard questions when it come to our government? We can't ask business owners? I like Steve, I get it. Not trying to shame anyone but this seems to be a broken record with businesses. Give up and cash out seem to be the common theme. I don't care if you think it's rude or not, I know a thing or two about being an Entrepreneur. That is much different than growing up in the family business.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 5:57pm
I must concur with Mr. Nagy.

Historic House Guy:  I wonder how long YOU would stay in your current business if you didn't make enough to make it worth your while??? 
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Historic House Guy Historic House Guy wrote:

I'm sorry, should we only ask hard questions when it come to our government? We can't ask business owners? I like Steve, I get it. Not trying to shame anyone but this seems to be a broken record with businesses. Give up and cash out seem to be the common theme. I don't care if you think it's rude or not, I know a thing or two about being an Entrepreneur. That is much different than growing up in the family business.
HHG:
You sound a little confused!!!
Businesses exist to make money!!! 
Governments exist to serve the people!!! (At least that was the intent of our founders.)

That is the difference.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 6:10pm
I was told the business doesn't make the money it use to. Wasn't told it didn't make money to be sustainable. As far as I know, a new owner isn't even an option and why should it be? The owner has trashed this town with his posts to this forum. Reap what you sow Steve. I'm sure your family would be proud! 

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 6:23pm

I was told the business doesn't make the money it use to. Wasn't told it didn't make money to be sustainable. As far as I know, a new owner isn't even an option and why should it be? The owner has trashed this town with his posts to this forum. Reap what you sow Steve. I'm sure your family would be proud! 

Why don't YOU buy it then???  Perhaps you will just barely break even, but look at all the jobs you will be providing, and all the good you will be doing!!!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 6:28pm
Sorry Mike but I'm actually busy trying to build my families wealth not trying to cash one in. 
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 6:44pm
HHG,
       That persons business is none of your business. His posts on this blog have been more helpful to this city then any posts you'll put on the rest of your obnoxious life. You obviously have a vendetta but your in an untenable position so you have to get personal and nasty. Why don't you go blog somewhere else until you learn some courtesy and respect for others? Why don't you tell us of all of your good works in the city of Middletown and how many jobs you have provided over how many years.
       You are really boring.
        Paul Nagy
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 6:56pm
Paul,

Don't tell me it's none of my business when it's 2 blocks from my house and i shop there 3 days a week. 80+ years and now all of the sudden this guy can't/won't take the time to keep it going because it doesn't pay what it use to...
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 6:58pm
Since hes gone so far out of his way to make this town seem like a sh*t hole, I'll be more than happy to offer him $50,000.00 for that dump. He should be more than happy to take the money and run.
FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 7:59pm
So he's obligated to stay in business for YOUR convenience??? My oh my what a high opinion someone has of themself!!! Carry your sorry a$$ to Marsh and shut the hell up...
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 10:15pm
HHG dude I will repeat what paul said,its none of your business!!!why should he keep it going when your having more people coming in to steal whatever they can put down their pants, steve did not make Middletown the crap hole city it is now, maybe if your not liking it maybe you should move out of your crap hole city...   
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 10:31pm
Perhaps HHG's account has been hacked.  This doesn't sound like the reasonable person who has posted before. 
If you thought about it -- if the business of selling chips, pop, and smokes to the low income people of that area was even moderately profitable, don't you think it would remain open? 

Next time you have a customer respond to your restoration bid by saying "that's too much, can't you just take a little profit?" -- what will your response be?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2013 at 12:16am
I've had enough of the sorry, pathetic, do nothing but whine and cry POS on this forum. I leave you all to your own useless lives.

Good bye losers.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2013 at 1:14am
HHG you were the one crying over a store, were you looking for some cheese with your whine!! you came on this site being a Jack know it all!! so we sure won't miss you!!!
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2013 at 1:22am
and BTW hhg!! from where im sitting, your the real loser!! your the one that has a dump in the city of Middletown..
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2013 at 9:13am
HHG, you lost all credibility with me when you previously endorsed the residential demolition blitzkrieg of "The Doogmeister." Just think, there may be a second round of residential demolition funding by the State of Ohio next year. Wow! Doogie can possibly demo another couple of hundred houses on top of what he's leveled so far. Doogie is your man so live with it. He's your (not my) NEIGHBORHOOD REJUVINATION guy!
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2013 at 11:21am
So much for HHG and his opinion? 

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2013 at 4:37pm
Wow if those are actual posts by HHG then it is indeed pathetic. I have often disagreed with postings on this forum but I hope I would never be that rude to any one. HHG doesn't even know what the personal reasons may be for their decision. There will be another occupant in the building in the future. HHG needs to cool his jets and think before he posts venom. JMO
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2013 at 6:18pm

Since hes gone so far out of his way to make this town seem like a sh*t hole, I'll be more than happy to offer him $50,000.00 for that dump. He should be more than happy to take the money and run.

HHG- Let's look at this from another prospective. The Dillman grocery, and family name, have been a mainstay in this community for many decades, offering the citizens a more "hometown feel" than the big chains like Kroger and Marsh. Folks like Steve, Mike P., 409 and myself have been here along time. We all have seen the good when the city was run correctly, to the bad we are all seeing now. The Dillman family has done alot for this community and should be appreciated. You can't just dismiss the contribution by saying "going out of his way to make this town a sh-- hole." Nothing could be further from the truth.

We owe Steve and the Dillman family some gratitude for offering their family business choice as long as they have, given the competitive environment they are dealing with each day. It can't be easy competing against the mega-stores like a Kroger super store. The customer spending base has dried up over time, especially in the Dillman store location. Demographically and financially, the city has changed drastically as more and more folks with less disposable income have been invited to the city by Gilleland and company. They have focused on the creation of a ghetto comprised of people with very little money, some who rely on government handouts, and are driving respectable self-sustaining people, with money to spend away. Along with this stigma, we all get increases in crime, coupled with epidemic drug (heroin) use, prompting breakins and rampant theft.

If Steve is in a situation where his store is constantly being robbed, where patronage has drastically decreased and where he received no help from the city because his store is outside the sacred downtown area, what is he suppose to do? He can't sustain a profitable business out of pocket. Besides, Steve has given us hints occasionally that this will happen as he plans his richly deserved retirement. Actually, this should come as no surprise based on his prior posts.

I found it surprising that you responded the way you did about this situation. You seemed so even-keeled in your posts. Suddenly, you seemed to change in your demeanor, almost as if this isn't really you, but someone else using your forum name. Realizing you live just around the corner on Sutphin from the Dillman location, you still have the choice to drive down University to Marsh or to head out east to Kroger. The well hasn't totally dried up for you. There are always options.

If retirement is where you're headed, Steve, enjoy it! You have earned it. It's been a long hard road for all of us planning retirement, hasn't it.   
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2013 at 2:41am
People with less disposable income? Vet clearly you haven't been food shopping on food stamp day lately. Compare my basket to these people that wouldn't work taste testing creme horns to mine and I'm the one that feels like I live in poverty. It's a sad day to see Dillman's closing if in fact they are. I remember going there a lot with my parents in the early to late 70's when we lived not far from the central ave. store. And then later through the 80's and 90's shopping at the store on Roosevelt with my wife and kids. I even worked for a janitorial company part time in the evenings in the 80's that swept, mopped, waxed and buffed the floors in the stores. Sad to see the store close (if that's whats happening)
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2013 at 6:11am
Bo:

"People with less disposable income? Vet clearly you haven't been food shopping on food stamp day lately. Compare my basket to these people that wouldn't work taste testing creme horns to mine and I'm the one that feels like I live in poverty"

Bo, I know you and other working stiffs agree with me when I say that I get a warm feeling of contentment when I am standing in line watching the food stamp/ WIC (?)/ government handout folks produce all of that government paperwork to pay for their groceries .....and knowing I helped them with deductions from my paycheck, then writing that check to pay for mine.    It is the trend nowadays to take care of the "less fortunate" don't cha know, especially with the current administration in charge. If only I was invited to their government assisted house to watch their drug purchased big screen tv and drink their government purchase-assisted beer while laying on their rented couch. No time for that though......like most, gotta go to work to keep the money pipeline flowing for them. (Stereotyping here of course- some are valid)
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2013 at 11:32am
Honestly, They got priced out if anything. The cost of many items at Kroger or Wally World are cheaper.  Im surprised Marsh still exists as they can hardly compete as well.
Itsa me, mario!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic