FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Property Values Drop- Again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Property Values Drop- Again
    Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 7:05am
Journal story....

Middletown property values continue to drop

MIDDLETOWN —
Middletown schools officials say the district anticipates collecting about $500,000 less in property tax revenues next year than it did in 2012.

School officials said Monday they expect the district’s tax budget to decline for the eighth consecutive year. The district collected about $27.8 million in property tax revenue in 2012, $27.5 million in 2013 and is projected to collect $27.3 million this year, said Treasurer Kelley Thorpe.

That’s because the value of the property in the district continues to drop. She said the total value of the property for the district is $712,307,750, or 0.56 percent less than it was last year. For Middletown, the total value has dropped “dramatically” since 2006 when it topped $1 billion, Thorpe said. The total loss would have been more noticeable except that the value of public utilities increased by $5 million because of the gas lines being installed, she said.

She called the loss of $500,000 in revenue over the last two years “a decent amount” of money particularly during these tight budgets. To make up for the loss in revenue, Thorpe said, the district may have to make budget cuts or find ways to reduce spending. As an example, she said, if experienced teachers retire, they may be replaced with first-year, less costly, teachers

AND WHY DO YOU THINK THE PROPERTY VALUES HAVE DROPPED SO DRAMATICALLY (OTHER THAN THE RECESSION OF COURSE) SINCE 2006 MS. THORPE? COULD IT BE THE "DESIRABILITY" OF MIDDLETOWN TO POTENTIAL BUYERS? HOW ABOUT THE LACK OF DECENT JOBS IN TOWN, USED TO ATTRACT HOME BUYERS? WONDER WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THOSE SITUATIONS?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 8:56am
Viet Vet -

Only five years ago HUD funds were successfully used to leverage private funds in expanding homeownership and housing rehabilitation opportunities. At that time, 60+ moderate-income first-time purchasers were aided annually in buying homes. Additionally, 100+ low- to moderate-income homeowners were assisted with minor to major rehab improvements.

In mid-2008 Judy G. made it known that she preferred these HUD funds to be utilized for demolition over homeownership and rehab efforts. She then got rid of me, put Ginger Smith in charge of a new department for which she lacked knowledge and experience, then got rid of Ginger to bring in Doug.

Look at the results. Significant waste of Neighborhood Stabilization Program funds was one result. Remember the $217,000 project? Remember the acquisition and demolition of Central Avenue properties? Remember how they could have/should have used NSP funds for up to 70 purchase-rehab-resale homeownership projects? Instead, they ended up with 10 bloated deals.

I've said it all before. The facts I've presented clearly and factually show that Judy and Doug's revised policies and plans have failed miserably.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 9:21am
"In mid-2008 Judy G. made it known that she preferred these HUD funds to be utilized for demolition over homeownership and rehab efforts"

WAS THIS ACTION LEGAL UNDER THE HUD TERMS FOR MONEY USE? IF NOT, WHY WASN'T THIS BROUGHT TO THE ATTENTION OF HUD? JUST ASKIN'.

"Look at the results. Significant waste of Neighborhood Stabilization Program funds was one result. Remember the $217,000 project? Remember the acquisition and demolition of Central Avenue properties? Remember how they could have/should have used NSP funds for up to 70 purchase-rehab-resale homeownership projects"

SEE SAME QUESTION ABOVE. IF THEY ARE REQUIRED TO BE ACCOUNTABLE TO HUD/NSP FUND MONEY, HOW DO THEY EXPLAIN THE MONEY USAGE? HOW HAVE THEY MANAGED TO STAY OUT OF TROUBLE WITH THIS MIS-USE?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 9:42am
The primary reason that the total valuation has dropped from $1 billion to $700 million since 2006 is that the state legislature eliminated the tangible business property tax on inventory and equipment.  Communities like ours with a large manufacturing base were hit hard. The state government took away 30% of our tax base, and substituted a Commercial Activity Tax that goes to the state general fund, and is not returned to the local governments and school boards.

The one-half of one percent drop this year was not caused by that, but by the continued effects of the recession on property values.

Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 11:08am
Viet Vet -

During my time with the city, HUD barely made contact. This was certainly not the case when I worked in a couple of other states prior to coming here.

Did you know that I brought several irregularities to the attention of HUD following my ousting? Never once was anything ever investigated.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 11:32am
"The one-half of one percent drop this year was not caused by that, but by the continued effects of the recession on property values"

BUT, IF THE REASON FOR PROPERTY VALUE DECLINE IS THE EFFECTS OF THE RECESSION, AS YOU SAY, WHY ARE THERE VARIOUS PARTS OF THE COUNTRY THAT ARE SEEING A SIGNIFICANT REBOUND FROM THE PROPERTY VALUATION DECLINE WITH PROPERTIES ALMOST AT PRE-RECESSION VALUES NOW? WOULDN'T THE RECESSION AFFECT ALL AREAS OF THE COUNTRY AND WOULDN'T THE EFFECTS LINGER IN ALL AREAS?

"Communities like ours with a large manufacturing base were hit hard. The state government took away 30% of our tax base, and substituted a Commercial Activity Tax that goes to the state general fund, and is not returned to the local governments and school boards"

SO, AS A RESULT OF THIS, THE ONLY MEANS OF OBTAINING REVENUE TO OPERATE YOUR SCHOOLS IS TO PLACE CONSTANT LEVIES ON THE BALLOT THAT WILL, IN SOME CASES, CONTRIBUTE TO THE DESTRUCTION OF THE HOME BUDGET AND WORST CASE, FORCE SOME SENIORS AND LIMITED INCOME FOLKS TO READJUST THEIR STANDARD OF LIVING? NO OTHER OPTION HERE FOR THE SCHOOL BOARD TO CONSIDER TO CONTINUE OPERATIONS? HOW ABOUT THE ELIMINATION OF OVERDONE ASSISTANTS IN THE SYSTEM? WHY THE NEED FOR MULTIPLE PRINCIPALS IN THE SCHOOLS AND IN ADMIN? A LITTLE TOP-HEAVY IN THE ORGANIZATION AREN'T WE?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Perplexed Perplexed wrote:

Viet Vet -

During my time with the city, HUD barely made contact. This was certainly not the case when I worked in a couple of other states prior to coming here.

Did you know that I brought several irregularities to the attention of HUD following my ousting? Never once was anything ever investigated.

IF HUD WOULDN'T LISTEN TO YOU AND BARELY PARTICIPATED LOCALLY WHEN CONTACTED, HOW ABOUT AT THE NATIONAL LEVEL IN WASHINGTON? HOW ABOUT THE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE IN OHIO?
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 2:33pm
Some people HAVE gone to tha attorney generals office. They refer you back to HUD. Then if you voice a concern about money is being misappropriated they again refer you back to your local police dept, we'll how far do you think that goes.!! Even Butler county sheriff's office refers you back to local police. So while HUD IS INVISTIGATING maybe a few more calls from citizens might be of help. Someone also said the Columbus and the Cleveland office has read the forum remarks,so go ahead and fill them in on our "Executive Director" and our "Administrator" of the HUD program in Middletown and the "slight of hand" movements of money by our council.IMO
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 2:39pm
I'm sure there are people on this forum that would be glad to give us the numbers to call!! Anybody???
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

Some people HAVE gone to tha attorney generals office. They refer you back to HUD. Then if you voice a concern about money is being misappropriated they again refer you back to your local police dept, we'll how far do you think that goes.!! Even Butler county sheriff's office refers you back to local police. So while HUD IS INVISTIGATING maybe a few more calls from citizens might be of help. Someone also said the Columbus and the Cleveland office has read the forum remarks,so go ahead and fill them in on our "Executive Director" and our "Administrator" of the HUD program in Middletown and the "slight of hand" movements of money by our council.IMO

WHAT ABOUT THE MEDIA APPROACH? WOULD ANY OF THE DAYTON OR CINCY TV STATIONS DO A SEGMENT ON THIS (EYE-WITNESS INVESTIGATION PERHAPS) IF THE DATA WAS PRESENTED BY THE FOLKS ON THIS FORUM WHO HAVE IT? WOULD IT DO ANY GOOD TO DO THIS, OR IS IT A WASTE OF TIME? HOW DOES ONE REPORT POTENTIAL FINANCIAL MALFEASANCE AND GET SOMEONE TO LISTEN AND TAKE ACTION IF ALL OF THESE AGENCIES KEEP RUNNING A PERSON IN CIRCLES? FROM THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE TO THE ATTY GEN'S OFFICE TO LOCAL POLICE TO NATIONAL LEVEL HUD ----ALL SEEM TO BE A JOKE AND DON'T SEEM TO BE CONCERNED IF A POSSIBLE CRIMINAL VIOLATION HAS OCCURED.   
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 5:03pm
You can always call into 55KRC in the mornings and talk to Brian Thomas about what is going on, also you can always contact the whistle blower people at any of the local TV Stations. But if no one reports what is going on, it will never get reported on the local news.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 5:56pm
Viet Vet -

A good deal of verifiable information on the waste and mismanagement of HUD funds has been posted on this blog over the past four plus years by Vivian Moon and myself. Given that, I'm wondering how you, as a resident and taxpayer, feel about the millions in HUD funds that could and should have been put to much better use in improving Middletown. I don't recollect any specifics that you may have shared.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Perplexed Perplexed wrote:

Viet Vet -

A good deal of verifiable information on the waste and mismanagement of HUD funds has been posted on this blog over the past four plus years by Vivian Moon and myself. Given that, I'm wondering how you, as a resident and taxpayer, feel about the millions in HUD funds that could and should have been put to much better use in improving Middletown. I don't recollect any specifics that you may have shared.

HOW DO I FEEL ABOUT THE CITY LEADERS BRINGING MILLIONS OF HUD DOLLARS TO TOWN? IN A WORD......LIVID. IT DOES NOTHING BUT BUILDS GHETTOS. FREEDOM COURT? THE HUD ASSISTED APARTMENTS ON YOUR WAY TO BLUEBALL, ROBIN SPRINGS.....DO ANY OF THESE LOCATIONS HELP THIS CITY? THEY DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD DON'T THEY? CRIME- IMAGE- TAXES CITY POLICE RESOURCES- AFFECTS THE SCHOOL'S BOTTOM LINE. DO THEY CONTRIBUTE TO THIS COMMUNITY OR DO THEY JUST TAKE? WHAT'S THE UPSIDE?

IF I WERE MAKING THE DECISIONS ABOUT MY HOMETOWN, THE HUD MONEY NEVER WOULD HAVE COME TO THIS CITY, MIDDLETOWN WOULD, AT BEST, WOULD HAVE HAD ONLY THE HUD/SECTION 8 IT WAS MANDATED TO HAVE BASED ON POPULATION (AROUND 700 OR SO I BELIEVE- NOT 1600 AS MENTIONED) AND THIS CITY WOULD HAVE CONCENTRATED MORE ON BUILDING THE DAM TOWN RATHER THAN DESTROYING IT THROUGH GHETTO BUILDING ACTIVITY. IMO, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO POSITIVE REASON TO SATURATE THIS CITY WITH THIS CRAP. INSTEAD, SINCE THE 70'S, WHEN I STARTED TO SEE JOBS LEAVE TOWN, I WOULD HAVE TAILORED THE TOWN DEVELOPMENT BY WORKING ON HOW TO BRING JOB OPPORTUNITIES IN HERE AND ANY MONEY SPENT WOULD HAVE GONE TO JOB CREATION BY USING INTERNAL PERSONNEL OR USING CITY MONEY TO GET THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK TO HIRE PROFESSIONALS TO GET THE JOBS IN HERE. CAN'T BUILD THE TOWN USING GOVERNMENT HANDOUTS THAT INCLUDE GHETTO BUILDING PROGRAMS. JOBS IN HERE WILL CURE ALOT OF ILLS BOTH FOR THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE CITY. JMO

QUESTION FOR ALL:

IS THERE A WAY FOR ALL OF THE DATA ON THIS FORUM, PERTAINING TO ALLEGED MISAPPROPRIATION OF FUNDS, BE COMPILED AND SENT TO THE MEDIA IN DAYTON AND CINCY? TOO LARGE A PROJECT PERHAPS? DUNNO. SOMEONE WITH TIME WANT TO TACKLE THE ASSEMBLY OF DATA AND THE SENDING?
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 10:47pm
You totally missed the point, Viet Vet. I'm not referring to the glut of Section 8 rental units. What I'm talking about are financially sound first-time homebuyer and owner-occupied housing rehabilitation.

I've given all that I have over the past four years. My biggest disappointment is that some MUSA participants have ridiculed, maligned or ignored all that I have shared. I offered you insights into the seamier side of local government, egocentric senior manager personalities, a whole host of lost opportunities to better Middletown, and their contempt for meaningful citizen participation.

I will not say anymore about Middletown. I hope that you and others will listen and digest all that Vivian Moon, Acclaro and a few others have to say. The future does not look good given the current policies and plans emanating from One Downton Plaza.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 11:20pm
The SEC 8 vouchers are here that's a fact, the real story is the moving of HUD monies under their shell game to finally get it to where they want it so they can use it how they choose. Remember when Doug decided to declare Middletown a 54% poverty level with Judy's blessing,well that was the beginning of the shell game happening in plain site and council was too stupid to see they've been played!! IMO
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 6:34am
Perplexed:

"You totally missed the point, Viet Vet. I'm not referring to the glut of Section 8 rental units. What I'm talking about are financially sound first-time homebuyer and owner-occupied housing rehabilitation."

MY MISTAKE PERPLEXED. HUD FUNDS DO SUPPORT THE SECTION 8 PROGRAM, DO THEY NOT? I'VE MADE MY POINT CONCERNING SECTION 8 SATURATION.

AS TO YOUR QUESTION CONCERNING FINANCIALLY SOUND FIRST-TIME HOMEBUYERS AND OWNER-OCCUPIED HOUSING REHABS........

HELP ME HERE. DON'T UNDERSTAND.....IF THE FIRST TIME HOMEBUYERS ARE FINANCIALLY SOUND, WHY DO THEY QUALIFY FOR ANY HUD HELP AT ALL? LET 'EM GET A HOME LOAN THROUGH A PRIVATE LENDER LIKE MOST OF US HAD TO DO. I'M ONLY INTERESTED IN GIVING HUD PROGRAM TAXPAYER MONEY TO PEOPLE WHO WOULD WANT TO REHAB A HOME THAT HAS BEEN ABANDONED IN AN AREA OF TOWN THAT HAS SEEN BETTER DAYS. IF THEY MOVE IN AND FIX THE HOME UP, DEMONSTRATE THAT THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE AND MAINTAIN THAT HOME, WHY NOT HELP THEM. BUT, AS SOON AS THEY MISS A PAYMENT OR STOP MAINTAINING THE HOUSE, THEY'RE OUT OF THERE WITH A DEBT TO THE TAXPAYER TO PAY BACK AND NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT. NOTHING'S FREE. THE OLD SAYING "HAND UP"----YES (TO QUALIFIED PARTICIPANTS)   "HAND OUT"----NOPE NO FREEBIES. THEY MUST PAY IT BACK OR NO DEAL. NO KINDER/GENTLER HERE. JUST BLUNT AND TO THE POINT ARRANGEMENTS. THIS OCCUPANCY NEEDS TO BE AUDITED FROM TIME TO TIME DURING THE LOAN AGREEMENT. VIOLATORS IMMEDIATELY REMOVED FROM THE HOUSE BUT STILL WILL REPAY THE LOAN. THAT SHOULD CAUSE A COMMITMENT. HOW THOROUGHLY ARE THESE PEOPLE SCREENED AT QUALIFICATION TIME? IS THERE A "DEFAULT" RATE?

"I hope that you and others will listen and digest all that Vivian Moon, Acclaro and a few others have to say. The future does not look good given the current policies and plans emanating from One Downton Plaza"

TRUST ME, I'M ON YOUR SIDE ON THIS ONE. THE FUTURE HASN'T LOOKED GOOD FOR DECADES. THAT'S WHAT IGNORANT, CORRUPT, INEPT LEADERSHIP DOES TO A CITY. .... I'VE MADE IT ABUNDANTLY CLEAR OVER THE YEARS THAT WE NEED A TOTAL HOUSECLEANING OF THE CITY BUILDING FROM THE CITY MANAGER ON DOWN.

HAVE I SATISFACTORILY ANSWERED THE QUESTION OR DID I MISUNDERSTAND AGAIN?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 6:36am
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

The SEC 8 vouchers are here that's a fact, the real story is the moving of HUD monies under their shell game to finally get it to where they want it so they can use it how they choose. Remember when Doug decided to declare Middletown a 54% poverty level with Judy's blessing,well that was the beginning of the shell game happening in plain site and council was too stupid to see they've been played!! IMO

THE MOVING OF THE HUD MONEY WITH THE MONEY USED OTHER THAN IT'S INTENDED DESTINATION. THAT IS CRIMINAL AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY HUD WOULDN'T BE INTERESTED IN HEARING MORE ON THIS.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic