Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Goodbye Target in Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goodbye Target in Middletown
    Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 12:08pm

Posted: 11:26 a.m. Friday, Jan. 10, 2014

Target closing in Trotwood, Middletown

By Breaking News Staff

Target will close its stores in Trotwood and Middletown, according to an announcement made today.

Eight U.S. stores will close May 3, including stores in Trotwood and Middletown.

"The decision to close a Target store is not made lightly," said Target spokesperson Stefanie Mohr. "We typically decide to close a store after careful consideration of the long-term financial performance of a particular location. Typically, a store is closed as a result of seeing several years of decreasing profitability."

Employees will be offered an opportunity to transfer to a similar position at a nearby Target, she said. In Middletown, 80 employees will be effected, and in Trotwood, 90.

This story will be updated as additional information becomes available.

ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 12:24pm
Here are some of the comments from Facebook so far
  • Samantha Hattley Middletown has done nothing but go downhill and is getting worse. Target is probably closing due to the fact they don't sell heroin and meth. Its pathetic and Middletown is a hopeless lost cause.

• Mark David Anderson Poor Milddletown...
  • Jessica Schlabach Don't care never like Target anyway
  • Cindy Terrill Not another empty building come on Middletown.....
  • Angie Comer I don't shop target ne ways but almost every business is moving out ta middletown maybe that's a sign telling ppl to move out ta middletown.. I will be soon.
  • Rebecca Volterman-Breaks That's a shame. However I will probably try to go to the closing sale if they have one and pay cash.
  • Angie Comer Angel Moore I'm fixing to move to I'm not from middletown but younger days had to move with my mom here for her job..
  • Kimberly Keene Graham Wow. I don't shop there but I am a bit shocked to hear this information.
  • Kevin Burton Walmart * will stay on top for a long, long time.
  • Robert Hill Diana Densler GinnFinn I haye walmart and love target so have fun
  • Gregg Coulter Waiting for this worthless Target store in Blue ash to close so we can all say "Told ya so" They forced it down our throats tho we kept 12 acres of woods from getting in the hands of the developers or it would have been a super Target and a Kohl's and a strip Mall.
  • Cindy Stewart That sucks
  • Diana Densler Ginn They should close ALL TARGET, stores!
  • Jim Riseborough 2 out of 8 in dayton area. Not so good.
  • David Cross I suspect it wont be the first.
  • Timothy Noel Hammond Is everything gonna be marked down?

ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 12:28pm
And  City Council think Middletown is rebounding, apparently not in the eyes of the people who live in this area
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 1:55pm
Well, never patronized the store that much. Go to Lowes next door often. As I remember, Target, a French owned company, was the chain that wouldn't allow the Marines to stand by the doorway for their Toys For Tots program, nor let the Salvation Army place the kettles there at Christmas time. Not necessarily a big supporter of the military in this country or so I have heard. Bad publicity in that regard.

Still, bottom line......one less choice for the shoppers of Middletown as was the K-Mart exit. Sad to see.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 2:16pm
Maybe they can put some kind of place where I can trade my gold in for cash! I could sure use one of these (this is sarcasm, just in case you could not tell)
Itsa me, mario!
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 2:26pm
Target is not a French-owned company. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 2:28pm
Someone a while back said tha Big Lots was moving from it's current location. How about moving to this location? More sq. ft and certainly a better location as Frickers, LaRosas and that strip mall behind White Castle sits on the old dump site. Notice how the parking lot is starting to get that "earth turning" unlevel look? Goes all the way over to the car wash/new school by the Auto Zone.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

Target is not a French-owned company. 

You are correct!

It is a Minnesota based company. Appreciate the correction. Don't know where I heard that info.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 4:19pm
How about a dicks sporting good store.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 5:35pm
Someone started a petition to save the Middletown Target at Change.org and there are already 200 signatures.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 5:41pm
Here's the link:

Let's not just accept the decision as inevitable, let's try to convince Target to keep the store open.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 5:57pm
Good luck with that sincerely.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 6:24pm
I love Target. I buy many groceries, Cliff bars, and love the pop corn and drink special. Don't want to drive to Dayton Mall or West Chester for my popcorn. Please stay! 
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 6:47am
I worked at Target from June 1995 when they opened on Roosevelt until September 2007.. We had good management in the store up until the time I left. and in my opinion they were struggling then to make sales. I am surprised they stayed open this long to be honest. I think the fiasco over the Black Friday Hacking of Accounts is not helping their business, but it happens, and it is sad that Middletown is loosing another big employer only to have another EMPTY Building... Sad!!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 3:42pm
This is enormously embarrassing. I initially thought Target was closing several stores in Ohio, and several across the nation. Not 8 nationwide, and two in Ohio.
The petition will have absolutely no impact. Target runs analytics and cross matches zip code where the store is shopped. The volume of consumption was too small, and they wanted a bump in proactively reacting to the credit card theft.

Where was the petition when AK Steel executives were leaving?

What does this show/ reflect associated the Towne Mall and east end "renaissance?"

Middletown is NOT an exit with foot traffic. Rather blatantly reflects- FORBES was right- one of 8 closing, the dying city called Middletown. If Middletown exit cannot sustain a profitable Target, how does it sustain a mall? The investors of the movie theater are obviously rethinking this locale.

As Carly Simon sang, "Killing Me Softly" with incompetence, corruption, and sheer reactionary focus years too late.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:10pm
OK

the movie people declined the option to purchase

Roberta Flack first did Killing Me Softly

It takes a lot of customer traffic spending $$ EVERY DAY to keep retail operational

No one ever WANTS to close a retail business. The CONSUMER ultimately decides who stays and who goes. Bemoaning after the fact is so hypocritical. Look into the mirror. We all decide what we have and how we live.....

Thanx 4 all of the kind words........

Been down to the Central University train station, bags packed--waiting for that train that we were guaranteed. Must be running late
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:40pm
Good point sj.

Years of awaiting the train. The 3:10 to Yuma.

Correct: retail driven by economies of scale, volume on pennies per dollar, need many transactions and volume, or - negative income.

I have heard Kohl's is next, and Meijers. Who would have imagined UDF would cannabolize downtown and east end?  

ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 9:28am
If things don't get fixed soon, we are going to be the next Trotwood. And our mall is going to end up like the Salem Mall. 
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 9:45am
I totally agree ktf1179.. I have lived here all my life and it gets worse everyday.. That is sad to say about your hometown that you have lived in for better than 50 years..
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 10:19am

Acclaro
I just heard that even the sales at Walmart here in Middletown are down ...

If in fact Walmart sales are down what does that tell you about the sales numbers of other retail businesses in this area?

ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 10:22am
what is sad about Trotwood, it use to be a nice community. My Grandparents use to live there for years, and it was a nice town in the 80's and early 90's. Then the neighborhood  my grandfather lived in started getting bad, plus his age, he ended up moving to Brookhaven in Brookville. After the people from the west end of Dayton moved into Trotwood, crime increased, and businesses moved out, and it became know in the surrounding areas as Rotwood. And once that happened Trotwood could not recover, no matter how hard the city and the mall tried to fix up the area. 

And now the same thing is happening with Middletown. We are getting the people from the poorer parts of Dayton and Cincinnati moving in and it is dragging down not only Middletown, but Hamilton, Lebanon, Franklin, Carlisle, and yes even certain part of old Springboro. 

Adding to this is the younger urban hipsters moving into downtown Cincinnati and Dayton, it is now displacing lower income people who use to live in that area to the suburbs.

I know we like to look the city level issuesm but this much bigger than just Middletown.

I am just not sure what can be done to slow this trend. 
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 10:43am
JOBS. but who wants to move here for a job if there is any other option. The city has been mismanaged for several decades but the current council doesn't have a clue how to begin to help the recovery. How sad for Middletown!!!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 10:48am

Now now folks you need to have a little more faith in City Hall.
We should not worry so much about the East End because City Hall has assured us that if they spends just a few more million of our tax dollars in “Their Downtown” building high end condos that the big buckers will flock to the downtown area and everything will be just duckie again.

Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:06pm
Its been interesting to observe that Governors who have moved their states forward in the last four or five years have had similiar agendas. These priorities have helped their states move forward and I wonder why these priorities won't  work on the county and municipal levels. I believe strongly they would turn Middletown around but it would take 2-5 years of sticking to it. For what they are worth here they are. Would you come to Middletown with your business if the city was successful and publicizing these accomplishements when they are achieved? You bet your economy you would.
1. Improve the citiy's credit rating.
2. Increase the rainy day fund.
3. Maintain strong support for local education.
4. Encourage economic development (jobs). Especially in health and Research development areas.
5. Demonstrate pragmatism that will increase property values. (Doesn't require austerity but conservative practices.))
6. Reduce taxes.
7. Loosen up on regulations that keep businesses from coming to our city.
8. Do it all without cutting services.
These accomplishments will do more for the entire city overall and still allow "special interests" to prosper more.
Just thinking out loud.
Paul Nagy

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 2:36pm
I have a friend who is a Partner at one of top 'reputation management' firms in US. This is a service when a major crisis occurs to an individual, or company, organization. Tainting to Tylenol at J N J, as an example, Bernie Madoff association at Chase Bank, etc. Simply put....Middletown has had too many crisis occurrences, too much injury to its previous brand, and its now a soiled brand. Almost all believe its reputation is beyond repair. Others don't want their brand and reputation to be soiled by reputation. Hence, AKS- Atrium, countless others, move. The returned phone calls once returned....are no longer returned.       
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic