FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New City Manager Selection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 5:29am
Sorry, but I can’t be quite so kind.

Gilleland, Mulligan, and the rest have NOTHING to show for their efforts, let alone anything worthy of award.

Their alleged showpiece, “downtown Middletown”, has been a multi-million dollar BUST at taxpayer expense. We have NOTHING to show for the tens of millions of dollars they have flushed down the toilet on behalf of us taxpayers. Just use Mayor Mulligan’s own yardstick!!! (“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012)

Use Pendelton Art Center as an example. All the art sold there should have been taxable as Middletown income to the “artists” (remember the “furkini” babe?). How much income tax has been returned to Middletown’s taxpayers’ for our million dollar plus donation??? You can bet not much, or City Hall would’ve been bragging about it!!!
Same with Cinci State for the big bucks we Taxpayers blew on that deal. How much income tax has been returned to us for “all of the high income jobs” that Cinci State has brought to our city???

Where are all of the restaurants and coffee shops that they promised??? Oh…that’s right…they keep closing as fast as they opened. How many tax dollars have they actually brought in???

What are the numbers???? Let’s let the FIGURES TELL THE TALE!!! What are the numbers??? If our city was bringing in significant payroll tax dollars from our downtown investment, you can bet your bippy that City Hall would be shouting the numbers from their ivory tower.

They held all of these meetings involving the “stakeholders”, but they always seem to leave out the biggest stakeholder of all…the taxpayers!!! So the taxpayers end up being the “bag holders”…and “the bag” seems to always be EMPTY!!!

And, if I’m not mistaken, they are about to do the similar things again with the Manchester, the Sorg mansion, and the Sorg Opera House.

So consider this: Each and every of our city officials, whether award-winning or not, swore an oath that they would “not make or authorize the expenditure of public money other than for adequate consideration and efficient service”!!! This means that they would NOT WASTE OUR MONEY!!! So…did they all act stupidly over and over, or did they just DISHONOR their OATHS???

You tell me. Is providing our city’s elite an arena to meet a couple of times a month, along with a couple of extra academes for them to rub elbows with, an “adequate consideration” for the expenditure of millions of public dollars???

I don’t think that they can all be that stupid!!! The only alternative is their lack of honor of their oaths…so why should they be “awarded” with anything other than a fine or a jail cell???

Of course, all of this is just my humble opinion.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 5:35am
Then again, there sure are nice smooth streets leading to the mayor's house and the city manager's house.

The rest of our streets...not so nice.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 8:06am
Mr. Presta,

You make an excellent point concerning return on investment for the tax dollars being spent on the downtown. If there were significant revenues being generated downtown, we'd have been innundated with articles about it. Yet the silence tells you what you need to know concerning this "revitalization".  As to spending more taxpayer dollars, I don't see anything or anyone to stop the gravy train from continuing. I'd be interested if there were any real, organized resistance to  subsidizing the downtown with taxpayer dollars but I just don't see it happening. The council of 5 now has all the votes necessary to do whatever it wants and it's obvious what that is.
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 1:34pm
Vet,
Though I agree with most of what you said, I disagree with your synopsis of Ken Cohen. Ken moved out of town years ago, yet has stayed involved, sacrificing his personal time, to try and better Middletown. You may disagree with what he has been advocating and supporting, but I don't think for a second that he did any of this for personal gain or to support any political agenda. Regarding the "sliver spoon" certainly his dad's work gave him a great head start, but Cohen has grown considerably since he took over the business. I haven't met anyone who works harder and supports his employees more than Ken.

He deserves our respect and thanks for all of his work, unlike many Middletown "silver spooners" who do NOT get involved and primarily live out of state.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 2:06pm
have to agree with processor here
Cohen family has been golden to this community for longer than I have been alive, and I respect every member of the family.
While I disagree with some of Ken's concepts and direction, I cannot knock the man's intent or character. I don't believe any of the family lives here now, though a part of their company remains.
And Ken has done well during his run on top of the business.
Credit where it is due

Don't dislike any of the Mulligans either, though there seems to be a lot of them active currently. I believe most of them live here.
Strongly disagree with a lot of their direction, however can always openly discuss anything with Larry or Joe without the conversation going bad or personal.

We are in the mess that we are in for many many varied reasons, and decades of selfish and after-the-fact poor decisions.

jmo
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 2:09pm
And while politically incorrect, and terminally viewed as being "negative", I pretty much agree with Mike P's opinion ob the former downtown area.

So--we have to fix it from here, but probably won't happen until we significantly change faces and direction. Hopefully we can make it a positive and active warm weather run--there are some great people doing nice things in the area
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 2:42pm
processor- Could it be that Ken Cohen stayed involved because he has a horse in the race, that being the "flagship" location of his company here in Middletown? If indeed, the council and city leadership are following the guidance of the MMF, as has been suggested, and given the MMF agenda of town control under their terms, why would he want to be associated with a group that have guided this city into the abyss?

Personal gain? I refer you to his business on Grand and University for starters.

Political agenda support? How about helping to field a strong candidate pool for local offices through his MMF group? So far they have been unbeatable when challenged by those outside the sphere of influence. Their voting block overwhelms the apathetic majority at election time. Yep, he's a town power broker who has chosen to control the city while not chosing to be a part of the city's inhabitants. Same goes for Mason-living Adkins and others.

As for living out of town for two years, why did he choose to do that rather than continue living in his hometown that he "cares so much about"? Good enough to control but not good enough to live here?

Silver Spooners?

IMO, anyone who graduates high school while dad builds the business, then shuffles off to college for that business degree, returns to town and slips right into the business as President of the company as dad slides off to retirement, hasn't earned their stripes to run that business as yet. Gotta learn from the ground up don't you think? Yet, it happens all the time......along with Cohen Brothers, there is Miller Insurance. Oswald Carpet and Brown Singer Fabricators to name a few over the years. How about Akers Packaging, Armbruster Florists and Bremer Animal Hospital? Don't know.....do you make a person, with no experience, a President on the first day back from college with degree in hand? You tell me. Guess they can do what they want, it's their company. I'd be a little nervous with junior at the helm directing what I spent a lifetime building and I'd certainly remove them if they dropped the ball early on.

Respect for all the work that he has done? If you are referring to his MMF work, I'm not impressed with the misguided, destructive themes of this group. Other work? Dunno.   
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 3:36pm
I may be misinterpreting Vet's statement, but I don't believe the intent was to blame Ken Cohen or many others.

If I may, and I completely agree with Mike Presta's commentary on downtown, MMF is not a power broker, nor was it set up in such a manner. Its first mission is fund raising, and it is stacked with those who are beholden enough to the city to hand out cash to chosen candidates. That is goal one and requirement for membership.

Goal 2, is to have cash handed off from the city, as a means of taking directions from the city to have first take, or "first right of refusal" for property the city wants to buy. That is solely the rationale for the $75 K the city moved over a few years ago, to my knowledge, has not been spent. If the city wants a property bought to protect the fortress, aka, fka, Main Street, MMF jumps to the city's direction and buys. So, they aren't power brokers, they are errand lads and lassies, shills for the city, and most doing so as a personal favor to those working at the city frankly....they consider their friend(s). Hence, processor is correct....Ken Cohen or most others, don't serve for power, but rather, their city friends have a need.

No one thinking reasonably can possibly think the  initial thread and discussion about JG's achievement award had merit. Nothing even remotely beneficial has occurred....0, natta, nothing, but cash out, with no cash in. That sinks a business and community, not elevates it.

As for the silver spoons, Middletown has many. However, I will give exceptions. Many earned top degrees at Miami, Indiana, Duke B schools, or economics. Many started pushing brooms, learned every aspect of the business, and some were vetted by outside retained search firms (Magnode). I wouldn't put any in a Mark Cuban or Ross Perot category, but they are competent and generally darn good business leaders and comport with great integrity (Dickerson, Bidwell(s), Akers, and others.        
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 6:43am
acclaro:

"I may be misinterpreting Vet's statement, but I don't believe the intent was to blame Ken Cohen or many others"

To clarify.....I am talking about an age-old tradition where grandpa started the business, his son took over as grandpa either died or retired, and the business was passed on to his son, and on and on it continues until either the business goes under caused by bad decisions or non-competent handling of the operation, or the latest to take over having no interest in running grandpa's business.

This could be anyone.....Cohen, Miller, Brown- any person who inherited the business and walked into it as they were pre-ordained before high school to occupy the leadership slot. They got to the top because they were the next in line in the family, not necessarily because they came prepared, were the best candidate nor even desired to take on that role. The family merely expected them to step in when it was their turn. For me, the term "silver spooner" simply means that a person was set up for a better life simply by being born into a wealthy family as compared to a person who had to get it the hard way by starting at the bottom and working upward. It was given to the wealthy, priviledged one where the other had to earn it the hard way. There is no blame. It is the luck of the draw as to where the destiny lies. (Note: see lyrics to the song "Fortunate One"- Creedence Clearwater) or reference the Royal Family of England.

Ken Cohen and the members of the MMF may be fundraisers and inner circle candidate backers, but, in essence, they direct the matters of this town and direct the priorities through council and the city building personnel. I would imagine they have a hand in who occupies the city building in key roles also. If true, then one can reason that, indeed, they are the "behind the scenes" power brokers IMO.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic