Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help Replace One of Ohio's Oldest Schools?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 3:39pm
Mr. Nagy, I read the ordinance again:

CITY OF MIDDLETOWN, OHIO
CODE OF ORDINANCES
1272.04 SIGN DEVELOPMENT STANDARDS.
(7)
Election signs. Political signs not exceeding 32 square feet in outside area, single or double faced, and maximum height of five feet in residential zones or without size restrictions in all other zones. Such sign shall not be animated or illuminated. Such signs shall not be placed earlier than 30 calendar days before any election. Such signs shall be removed by the property owner or lessee within one week following any election. No election sign shall be placed in the public right-of-way.

This is not clear.  "signs shall not be placed earlier than 30 calendar days before any election."  It does not say "Election Day."  It says "any election."  Early voting starts April 1.  Early voting is at least part of "any election."   I think the ordinance was probably written long before early voting was an option, and now it is not clear how this ordinance should be interpreted -- from what does the 30 days run?

It is up to the city to enforce its ordinance.  Did the city cause you to remove your signs in past elections because of timing, or because they were placed in the right of way?  I agree that if any bond campaign signs have been placed in the right of way, they should be moved.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 3:43pm
chmoore1- in  regards to correction, the issue was stated it will cost taxpayers $55 Mm in Middletown for receiving no benefit, increased tax burden, of which the state will ;pay $40 Mm. Indeed, if you pull my posts from a year ago, I clearly acknowledge the state matches funds throughout Ohio, which I indicated was associated with a quaisi means of dealing with the unconstitutionality of the school funding mechanism. Hence, I was not wrong.

As for my offering an alternative to funding, the alleged declined condition of Vail appears to be associated with poor maintenance.

How is it Oakwood High School can maintain a beautiful building constructed in the late 1920's that presently serves as its high school, also ranked a top high school in Ohio and the nation? Pride....and maintenance.

The circuitous route you articulate is akin to the previous statement associated with fighting Franklin School District, that being; "you have to spend money to make money." My position has always been founded on facts, results, and benefit associated with expenditures. The building of a new school and advancing Middletown's rank will just not be accomplished. I firmly believe that as a fact, and also would never perceive $55 Mm in a cit dying, with a stated goal to reduce its population massively, to benefit the taxpayer period. It accomplishes nothing to build a school when the population is in decline, openly it has been admitted student population is down, and when the city doesn't care about its streets and infrastructure, it makes an intellectual mockery out of spending money for a building when its city infrastructure is in collapse associated with diverting funds. Candidly, it appears the city did not care about its infrastructure, and the school system maintaining a middle school.

Ms. Andrew- I had no problem with the signs as I see the campaign messaging highly ineffective. Hence, putting them up 1.5 weeks or so before legally allowed dies not/ did not trouble me. But, I am troubled deeply by your statement the city had no problem with this. Of course they didn't. The city that was a prime contributor to property valuation destruction and the school district rankings, is tethered to the school system,. However, to ignore their own stated ordinance is as hypocritical as it gets- for both the  BOE, school system, and the city law department.

If the levy passes, it will drive housing values down and burdening further those that have seen their market value decline for 30 years.

The most compelling fact associated with why this levy is negative and viewed so by most is illuminated by the sign in the Renaissance subdivision a few hundred yards from Bishop Fenwick High School, and where many existing council members have espoused their desire to reside. It says:

" Warren County School Systems" are within their geographic jurisdiction. For any voter, as much as the Atrium area has been spoken about as the progressive area within Middletown's annexation, it highlights the Warren County School district for its affiliation, obviously associated with "performance."

Spending money on the annual sale (state funding of $40 Mm) is a bad idea when the credit card has reached its limit.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 3:44pm
VV: once again---no answer from you on a real solution. Perhaps you should go on a tour of MMS, since, admittedly, you haven't been in it since you graduated almost fifty years ago. "The wood floors were great when I travelled them 50 years ago---they have to be great now!" I was trying to work with you about a plan for renovation, but you don't have one.   Throw in some Leibert units---that will work. No mention of ADA (a policy close to your heart), restroom modernization (or yeah, that's right, you peed in them 50 years ago, so they should still be great). No ADA access to Miller Gym, the cafeteria needs to be gutted, and the fourth floor ceiling is falling in. Also, I think we covered this in a previous post: to try dismantle the windows at Roosevelt to "maybe" reuse at Vail, wasn't practical (dismantle, move store, reinstall---costly). Sounds cool, but do we really know if they were the same size, plus damage and breakage dismantling them would be extensive.
Please do this for us: how much would you suggest to spend on any upgrades, and how will you fund them. Please stick to this, and as a courtesy, don't use all capitalized letters. You don't need to "yell" at us. just 1chmoore.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 4:05pm
Ms Andrew- there is absolutely no ambivalence in the language of the ordinance associated with timing of an election. The reference to date is clearly associated with official tallying of the votes and accompanying results.

I stated the signs were so ineffective in my opinion, they were not troubling to me personally. However, to parse the clear meaning of the ordinance is truly disingenuous.

It is my understanding a motion for Declaratory Judgement has been filed in Butler Cty Common Pleas Court by Porter Wright. Sad.    
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 4:52pm
I, for one, refuse to look at them. I have a reminder set on my computer to let me know when I can look at them again. just 1chmoore.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 5:02pm
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 5:07pm
Ms. Andrew,
        Thanks for the reply and your continued presence on this site in answering taxpayers ideas, complaints , questions and gripes. I don't agree with you on this one but I know and still believe you are the best thing that has happened to the Middletown School Board in thirty years. Its not easy to run a city or a school system. Please  press on.
           pn
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 5:45pm
Very Interesting responses, Ms.Andrew--consider me a voter supporting your cause, and not the least bit "angry" about the process. You might be defending the in-defensible.

The ordinance states "election", and may also be determined to represent "erlection day", and not the start of the voting process. Scary part here is that you are probably not winning any VERY important votes withis this cavalier attitude of being above the law and/or reproach. Cozying behind a relationship with city admin where they turn their head to ignore the violation of your supporting group. If this is what is meant by a "partnership" between city and school govt., then it might be time to re-think one's stance on the collaboration.

I see the up-coming vote as the FINAL piece of the school building puzzle. Pass this, and the rest is on admin and faculty to seriously improve results. New facilities may help keep current resident students, though until the scoring results improve dramatically, the school system will be a hard sell to future residents and/or those able to pursue more costly actions.

The current govt.backlash against credible and successful charter schools is very disturbing to me. Particularly what is going on in NYC. Protection of union teacher jobs is hardly more important than successfully educating and improving the lives of students-. Is this and a convenient regulatory agency relationship somewhat intertwined? I certainly hope not.

Play by the rules--don't make excuses or expect a free pass.

I believe in our school system because of my interactions with many involved. I enjoyed meeting and working with you briefly on a prior levy campaign. I enjoyed Mr.Rasmussen during his stay, and look forward to working again with Mr.Ison. I have been fortunate to be included on sysyem finance and climate committies, and was honored to be principal for a day at Rosa Parks with Mr.Edwards. I experienced the caring efforts of the staff from top to bottom. I believe we are getting better in an extremely difficult situation. And I read about more difficult situations turning around.

If you chose to operate and condone supporters operating in violation of your own standards, it becomes difficult to see you as one of "us", with whom we can work and bond. City govt.has pretty much alienated EVERYONE with their seclusionist and elitist attitudes--please don't continue falling into that easy trap.

This election is important--don't blow it over something this blatantly wrong, insulting and honestly ridiculous.

jmo
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 5:52pm
Acclaro, there is absolutely no reference in the ordinance to "offical tallying of votes and accompanying results."

Mr. Nagy, thank you for the kind words and for being agreeable about disagreeing. I fully understand that not everyone will agree with me, and that I am not always right.  Obviously, everyone has the right to vote for or against the bond levy, I just want people to make their decision based on correct information, not misinformation, rumors or conspiracy theories.

chmoore1, thank you for the information you found on the cost to renovate some of Cincinnati Public's older buildings.  I don't think everyone understands how comprehensive and expensive the required renovations would be. 

I dug up some reports from the Ohio School Facilities Commission of the findings of their evaluation of Middletown's school buildings.  The cost to renovate Vail was estimated at $36.1 million; the cost to replace it at $51.8 million.  However, we would not build a new middle school at the full 241,134 square feet that Vail has.  The new middle school would only need to house grades 7 and 8 and the OSFC estimate is a need for 133,727 square feet at a cost of $28.7 million (this estimate does not include some items that the OSFC does not consider essential, like an auditorium and competition gym).  Verity is only 77,152 square feet; not big enough.  Cost to renovate Verity $13.6 million, cost to replace $17.1 million (both of those just for the 77,152 square feet).
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 6:04pm
An election is when someone is elected, which happens on the day of the election.  It does not happen when early voting starts.  That's really a stretch.  Having said that, I don't mind the early signs and think the 30 day limit is ridiculous.  There should be timing rules, but that's not really enough time for someone to get name recognition and their message out to as many as possible (mostly by candidates on very limited budgets).

In this situation I think the signs are going to backfire.  There's a large amount of citizens that are still furious that Roosevelt wasn't utilized as it should have been.  Middletown has all of these beautiful, strong, old buildings at its disposal, but unfortunately has a group of people in charge that aren't gifted in how to utilize those assets so they go for the easy route.  You guys didn't even sell the roof of Roosevelt.  All of that slate just crushed in the demo.

Vail was built earthquake proof.  That is one massively strong building.  The asbestos removal they always moan about has to be specially removed whether the building is renovated or demolished.  So that negates the asbestos mantra always used.  They should gut Vail down to the concrete bones and rebuild.  If the city had coordinated with the school district they probably could have used up most of those 300 home demolitions in the neighborhood in front of Vail and turned the area into a middle school "campus" with parking instead of Girard running in front of the building.

The school board should lead by example and start taking care of the Vail property better than it does.  It's pretty outrageous that they claim it need so much work, so therefore let it look like a pigsty until they gross everybody out to replace it.  Is there a reason why the school board doesn't better maintain the Vail property in general?  Why do you expect the citizens to vote to build new when you don't take care of what you have?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 6:10pm
Spiderjohn,

Thank you for your engagement with the schools and for your input on our finance and climate committees.

I do not believe either I or the campaign committee are above the law.  I do believe that, in this situation with political signs, the law has not kept up with changing reality, creating a situation where it is ambiguous.  "An election" now takes place over 35 days, including early voting, absentee voting, and voting on Election Day in precincts.  The point of political signs is to advertize an issue or a candidate to inform or persuade voters before they vote.  It seems logical to allow the placing of signs before the voting begins.  Perhaps even unconstitutional if it prohibits political speech when voting has already begun --as it does if the 30 days runs backward from Election Day, but early voting starts 35 days before Election Day.  In any event, with the ordinance only using the phrase "any election" instead of "Election Day" it lacks clarity about when signs are permissible.   
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 6:22pm
I don't think most people would have a problem with the signs being up as they are if the city hadn't removed so many signs in the past from candidates that did as the board is currently doing.  That's where the anger is originating.  The law should be changed to accommodate misinterpretations, but the law is the law.  If candidates have had their signs removed, then the city has already set a precedent that the 30 day rule is married to the day of the election and not when early voting starts.  Again, I think the 30 day rule is ridiculous and really puts a hamper on marketing and getting out the message.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 6:24pm
Rhodes, the school board tried for 2 years to sell the Roosevelt school, but the only interested purchaser was a group that wanted the school district to move its offices to Roosevelt and pay millions of dollars in rent to the new owner, to fund their renovation of Roosevelt.  Which was a dead-on-arrival proposal because the district paid no rent for its offices, just utilities and maintenance.  The school district ran an auction for any and all pieces and parts of Roosevelt that anyone wanted prior to demolition.  Many items were sold.  If the roof was still there at demolition it is because no one wanted it.

Please see my post above about the cost to renovate Vail -- $36 million.

Vail has not been neglected, other than long-term repairs have been deferred for about 10 years because it was 10 years ago that the facilities master plan was approved -- by a citizen committee, the school board and the State of Ohio -- that included the demolition of Vail in phase two, after the elementary school project.  During that time, for example, the roof has been patched, but it would make no sense to spend $1 million to put a new roof on Vail, knowing the plan was to tear it down in a few more years. Alot of money spent repairing and maintaining that old building.  But replacing the major operating systems is millions of dollars.  If the bond issue does not pass, somehow we will have to fund all of that work out of general operating funds, which normally pay for teachers, supplies, busing (recurring annual expenses).
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 6:24pm
Ms. Andrew, I remain frankly, staggered by your position on the signs.

While I have repeatedly stated I was not offended nor upset initially, your cavalier response and interpretation the ordinance allows such violation is breath-taking. The city ordinance for setting trash out id two days. Signs in violation of an ordinance which you indicate the city could care less about, and flaunt it, is rather reprehensible. I don't believe such attitude serves your cause well. What an example to set for the community. The city has no problem with violation of its ordinance and we'll parse language as we see fit. As sj indicated, this attitude is reflective of the pompous arrogance and approach city hall has shown for many years, which has put the city in ruination. An attitude I am surprised you would follow.

As for your numbers, you negate to take in to consideration the fact the levy is a tax increase for infrastructure for a building, when the city doesn't repair its own infrastructure. As stated, perhaps there are enough OPER employees owning property to quid pro quo this, but it will be a battle and have dire consequence if it is passed.

I thought initially the placement of the signs early was a mistake and not deliberate. Your statement has convinced me otherwise. While we may disagree on the levy, I certainly believed there was equal ground on adherence to stated law. Stunning.          
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 6:29pm
Rhodes, were candidates whose signs were removed in the past, removed because they were placed too early, or because they were placed in an impermissible location? If you know? If it was due to the location, it doesn't help shed light on the interpretation of the ambiguous language.  I agree the ordinance should be enforced, or not, consistently.  I have seen both Republican and Democratic political signs that went up before the school bond signs went up.  They are all still there.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 6:30pm
as Rhodes and others state: it is all about the preferential elitist treatment that stenches our city. The signs are only an example, and by allowing them only widens the divide. Are you confusing "campaigning", "voting" and "election"?
Maybe your supporters should know better and be more respectful, especially concerning many sign placements. Ignorance of the law seldom flies--and dis-regarding the law stings much more imo.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/YanjY9CsPDQ?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/YanjY9CsPDQ?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 6:47pm
MA - The school board did not market Roosevelt openly.  I heard there was a charter school that wanted to buy the building or at least wanted the building.  What you just posted speaks to exactly what I was saying.  People in charge with no imagination.  Limited "secret" marketing for 2 years.  No results (that the board wanted) so your answer is to demolish a fire proof structure like that?

As for the roof comment I made.  Companies that buy slate roofs do not show up at auctions.  That's back to my point.  People in charge not having imagination on how to do things.  With all those involved, did anyone call Durable Slate?  That roof would have easily sold for $10,000.  Huge market for slate salvage, yet nobody knew to do this?  You think nobody wanted it b/c nobody showed up to buy it?  Wow.

Yes, I read your post about Vail.  Looks like a simple solution.  Increase middle school to include 6th graders or 9th graders.  In your own example, the replacement didn't include an auditorium or "competition" gym.  In other words, your example of a replacement is a generic school vs. what the Vail building actually is.  It is cheaper to renovate and consolidate than to tear down and replace.  In the end the community still has one of its iconic buildings intact and utilized.

If you want to look like a suburb, then go live in the suburbs.  Middletown is an old city and people are getting sick and tired of a minority of people making decisions that are ripping the old world charm away.  Buildings do not increase test scores, income levels do.  Just like your Lebanon example for Isom.  Isom had nothing to do with Lebanon High's change.  It was the influx of new citizens by way of new residential developments for higher earners.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 6:49pm
MA - I have no idea about former signs removed, just comments made online that I have read.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 6:57pm
MA - One other thing I missed on my response, I'm not talking about maintenance at Vail that would include a new roof.  I'm talking about hedging the walkways, replacing broken outside concrete steps, picking up the trash and litter that is all over the place.  Just b/c a building is old doesn't mean it has to look like a dump while it waits for physical repairs.  Drive by during the day and get a good look at it.  Also, a good pressure wash of the sidewalks and walkways would really make a change.  Curb appeal.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 7:28pm
*edging
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

Mr. Nagy, I read the ordinance again:

CITY OF MIDDLETOWN, OHIO
CODE OF ORDINANCES
1272.04 SIGN DEVELOPMENT STANDARDS.
(7)
Election signs. Political signs not exceeding 32 square feet in outside area, single or double faced, and maximum height of five feet in residential zones or without size restrictions in all other zones. Such sign shall not be animated or illuminated. Such signs shall not be placed earlier than 30 calendar days before any election. Such signs shall be removed by the property owner or lessee within one week following any election. No election sign shall be placed in the public right-of-way.

This is not clear.  "signs shall not be placed earlier than 30 calendar days before any election."  It does not say "Election Day."  It says "any election."  Early voting starts April 1.  Early voting is at least part of "any election."   I think the ordinance was probably written long before early voting was an option, and now it is not clear how this ordinance should be interpreted -- from what does the 30 days run?

It is up to the city to enforce its ordinance.  Did the city cause you to remove your signs in past elections because of timing, or because they were placed in the right of way?  I agree that if any bond campaign signs have been placed in the right of way, they should be moved.

While I believe having signs out as early as possible is warranted and levels the playing field by not deliberately suppressing the voters knowledge of special election voting, ORC clearly addresses the meaning of an election. As a special election, May 6 comports with 3501.01(D); 30 days prior puts signage at April 7. Non ambivalent language, comporting with the ORC definition of an election; albeit general or otherwise. Election is non ambivalent Ms. Andrew.

Play by the same rules others follow. Same for city law department.  

Chapter 3501: ELECTION PROCEDURE; ELECTION OFFICIALS

3501.01 Election procedure - election officials definitions.

As used in the sections of the Revised Code relating to elections and political communications:

(A) "General election" means the election held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in each November.

(B) "Regular municipal election" means the election held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November in each odd-numbered year.

(C) "Regular state election" means the election held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November in each even-numbered year.

(D) "Special election" means any election other than those elections defined in other divisions of this section. A special election may be held only on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in February, May, August, or November, or on the day authorized by a particular municipal or county charter for the holding of a primary election, except that in any year in which a presidential primary election is held, no special election shall be held in February or May, except as authorized by a municipal or county charter, but may be held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in March.

(E)

(1) "Primary" or "primary election" means an election held for the purpose of nominating persons as candidates of political parties for election to offices, and for the purpose of electing persons as members of the controlling committees of political parties and as delegates and alternates to the conventions of political parties. Primary elections shall be held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in May of each year except in years in which a presidential primary election is held.

(2) "Presidential primary election" means a primary election as defined by division (E)(1) of this section at which an election is held for the purpose of choosing delegates and alternates to the national conventions of the major political parties pursuant to section 3513.12 of the Revised Code. Unless otherwise specified, presidential primary elections are included in references to primary elections. In years in which a presidential primary election is held, all primary elections shall be held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in March except as otherwise authorized by a municipal or county charter.

(F) "Political party" means any group of voters meeting the requirements set forth in section 3517.01 of the Revised Code for the formation and existence of a political party.

(1) "Major political party" means any political party organized under the laws of this state whose candidate for governor or nominees for presidential electors received not less than twenty per cent of the total vote cast for such office at the most recent regular state election.

(2)

"Minor political party" means any political party organized under the laws of this state that meets either of the following requirements:

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this division, the political party's candidate for governor or nominees for presidential electors received less than twenty per cent but not less than three per cent of the total vote cast for such office at the most recent regular state election . A political party that meets the requirements of this division remains a political party for a period of four years after meeting those requirements.

(b) The political party has filed with the secretary of state, subsequent to its failure to meet the requirements of division (F)(2)(a) of this section, a petition that meets the requirements of section 3517.01 of the Revised Code.

A newly formed political party shall be known as a minor political party until the time of the first election for governor or president which occurs not less than twelve months subsequent to the formation of such party, after which election the status of such party shall be determined by the vote for the office of governor or president.

(G) "Dominant party in a precinct" or "dominant political party in a precinct" means that political party whose candidate for election to the office of governor at the most recent regular state election at which a governor was elected received more votes than any other person received for election to that office in such precinct at such election.

(H) "Candidate" means any qualified person certified in accordance with the provisions of the Revised Code for placement on the official ballot of a primary, general, or special election to be held in this state, or any qualified person who claims to be a write-in candidate, or who knowingly assents to being represented as a write-in candidate by another at either a primary, general, or special election to be held in this state.

(I) "Independent candidate" means any candidate who claims not to be affiliated with a political party, and whose name has been certified on the office-type ballot at a general or special election through the filing of a statement of candidacy and nominating petition, as prescribed in section 3513.257 of the Revised Code.

(J) "Nonpartisan candidate" means any candidate whose name is required, pursuant to section 3505.04 of the Revised Code, to be listed on the nonpartisan ballot, including all candidates for judicial office, for member of any board of education, for municipal or township offices in which primary elections are not held for nominating candidates by political parties, and for offices of municipal corporations having charters that provide for separate ballots for elections for these offices.

(K) "Party candidate" means any candidate who claims to be a member of a political party and who has been certified to appear on the office-type ballot at a general or special election as the nominee of a political party because the candidate has won the primary election of the candidate's party for the public office the candidate seeks, has been nominated under section 3517.012, or is selected by party committee in accordance with section 3513.31 of the Revised Code.

(L) "Officer of a political party" includes, but is not limited to, any member, elected or appointed, of a controlling committee, whether representing the territory of the state, a district therein, a county, township, a city, a ward, a precinct, or other territory, of a major or minor political party.

(M) "Question or issue" means any question or issue certified in accordance with the Revised Code for placement on an official ballot at a general or special election to be held in this state.

(N) "Elector" or "qualified elector" means a person having the qualifications provided by law to be entitled to vote.

(O) "Voter" means an elector who votes at an election.

(P) "Voting residence" means that place of residence of an elector which shall determine the precinct in which the elector may vote.

(Q) "Precinct" means a district within a county established by the board of elections of such county within which all qualified electors having a voting residence therein may vote at the same polling place.

(R) "Polling place" means that place provided for each precinct at which the electors having a voting residence in such precinct may vote.

(S) "Board" or "board of elections" means the board of elections appointed in a county pursuant to section 3501.06 of the Revised Code.

(T) "Political subdivision" means a county, township, city, village, or school district.

(U) "Election officer" or "election official" means any of the following:

(1) Secretary of state;

(2) Employees of the secretary of state serving the division of elections in the capacity of attorney, administrative officer, administrative assistant, elections administrator, office manager, or clerical supervisor;

(3) Director of a board of elections;

(4) Deputy director of a board of elections;

(5) Member of a board of elections;

(6) Employees of a board of elections;

(7) Precinct election officials;

(8) Employees appointed by the boards of elections on a temporary or part-time basis.

(V) "Acknowledgment notice" means a notice sent by a board of elections, on a form prescribed by the secretary of state, informing a voter registration applicant or an applicant who wishes to change the applicant's residence or name of the status of the application; the information necessary to complete or update the application, if any; and if the application is complete, the precinct in which the applicant is to vote.

(W) "Confirmation notice" means a notice sent by a board of elections, on a form prescribed by the secretary of state, to a registered elector to confirm the registered elector's current address.

(X) "Designated agency" means an office or agency in the state that provides public assistance or that provides state-funded programs primarily engaged in providing services to persons with disabilities and that is required by the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 to implement a program designed and administered by the secretary of state for registering voters, or any other public or government office or agency that implements a program designed and administered by the secretary of state for registering voters, including the department of job and family services, the program administered under section 3701.132 of the Revised Code by the department of health, the department of mental health and addiction services, the department of developmental disabilities, the opportunities for Ohioans with disabilities agency, and any other agency the secretary of state designates. "Designated agency" does not include public high schools and vocational schools, public libraries, or the office of a county treasurer.

(Y) "National Voter Registration Act of 1993" means the "National Voter Registration Act of 1993," 107 Stat. 77, 42 U.S.C.A. 1973gg.

(Z) "Voting Rights Act of 1965" means the "Voting Rights Act of 1965," 79 Stat. 437, 42 U.S.C.A. 1973, as amended.

(AA) "Photo identification" means a document that meets each of the following requirements:

(1) It shows the name of the individual to whom it was issued, which shall conform to the name in the poll list or signature pollbook.

(2) It shows the current address of the individual to whom it was issued, which shall conform to the address in the poll list or signature pollbook, except for a driver's license or a state identification card issued under section 4507.50 of the Revised Code, which may show either the current or former address of the individual to whom it was issued, regardless of whether that address conforms to the address in the poll list or signature pollbook.

(3) It shows a photograph of the individual to whom it was issued.

(4) It includes an expiration date that has not passed.

(5) It was issued by the government of the United States or this state.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 8:39pm
OK CH, LET'S SEE WHAT YOU HAVE HERE........

"VV: once again---no answer from you on a real solution."

YOU ASKED FOR SOME SUGGESTIONS AND I GAVE SOME TO YOU. BECAUSE YOU DISAGREE WITH THE SUGGESTIONS DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY ARE NOT "REAL ANSWERS" A REAL SOLUTION COULD BE 10 DIFFERENT THINGS WHEN ASKING 10 DIFFERENT PEOPLE. THERE ARE NO STANDARD ANSWERS.

"Perhaps you should go on a tour of MMS, since, admittedly, you haven't been in it since you graduated almost fifty years ago"

NEVER SAID THE LAST TIME I WAS IN VAIL WAS FIFTY YEARS AGO. I SAID SOME YEARS AGO IN THE POST. READ IT AGAIN CH. I WAS IN THE SCHOOL IN THE 80'S WHEN MY SON WENT THERE FOR PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES TO BE ACCURATE. WHERE DID YOU SEE 50 YEARS AGO?

"No mention of ADA (a policy close to your heart), restroom modernization (or yeah, that's right, you peed in them 50 years ago, so they should still be great). No ADA access to Miller Gym, the cafeteria needs to be gutted, and the fourth floor ceiling is falling in."

WELL GEE CH, I COULDN'T COVER ALL THE ITEMS IN THE REHAB OF THE SCHOOL NOW COULD I. I COVERED HEAT AND COOLING, WINDOWS, FLOORS AND THE ROOF. ANYONE COULD ADD TO THAT LIST AND CALL IT INCOMPLETE. FAIR ENOUGH. YOU CRITICIZE MY LIST FAILURES AND I'LL CRITICIZE YOUR LOUSY SCHOOL SYSTEM.

"Also, I think we covered this in a previous post: to try dismantle the windows at Roosevelt to "maybe" reuse at Vail, wasn't practical (dismantle, move store, reinstall---costly). Sounds cool, but do we really know if they were the same size, plus damage and breakage dismantling them would be extensive."

SO WE REALLY DON'T KNOW IF IT WOULD HAVE WORKED AS IT WAS EASIER TO JUST SEND THOSE RELATIVELY NEW WINDOWS TO THE LANDFILL, RIGHT? NICE USE OF TAXPAYER MONEY. TO HELL WITH SALVAGE, LET'S JUST BUY NEW ON THE TAXPAYER'S DIME. MOVE- STORE REINSTALL----MORE COSTLY THAN ALL NEW? THINKING LIKE A DAM GOVERNMENT PERSON NOW CH. BUY NEW, DISCARD NEW, BUY NEW.

"Please do this for us: how much would you suggest to spend on any upgrades, and how will you fund them. Please stick to this, and as a courtesy, don't use all capitalized letters. You don't need to "yell" at us. just 1chmoore"

WELL CH, I AM CAPITALIZING MY RESPONSES FOR A REASON. A YEAR OR SO AGO, SOMEONE ASKED ME TO START TYPING MY RESPONSES IN CAPS TO DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN THE QUOTES AND MY RESPONSES TO THOSE QUOTES, JUST AS I HAVE DONE HERE. I FIND IT INTERESTING THAT YOU WOULD ASSOCIATE RESPONSES IN CAPS WITH "YELLING". QUITE THE IMAGINATION CH. OH, AND I'D FUND THE UPGRADES BY EXAMINING ANY PROGRAMS OUT THERE FROM THE STATE OR THE FEDS, RESTRUCTURING THE BUDGET FOR THE SCHOOLS/RE-PRIORITIZING THE FOCUS OF MONEY, RE-STRUCTURING THE PAY SYSTEM FOR EACH CATEGORY AS THE NEW CONTRACTS COME UP, INITIATE MERIT RAISES ON EARNED PERFORMANCE ELIMINATING AUTOMATIC STEP INCREASES GOVERNED BY TIME ON THE JOB. THAT'S A FREE RAISE WITHOUT A PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL IMO. MAKING THE SCHOOL EMPLOYEES PAY MORE TOWARD THE PREMIUMS FOR THEIR BENEFITS AS WE IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR ARE FORCED TO DO. RE-EXAMINE THE TEXTBOOK PURCHASES, LONG TERM. WORK WITH THE CITY TO BRING JOBS TO THE CITY TO GENERATE MORE PROPERTY TAXES WHERE 80%+ GOES TOWARD FINANCING THE SCHOOLS. THE IDEA IS TO INCREASE SCHOOL REVENUE THROUGH CORPORATE TAXES AND PROPERTY TAXES, NOT DRAIN THE CITIZENS WALLETS DRY WITH LEVIES. BOTH CORPORATE SECTOR PROPERTIES AND INDIVIDUALLY OWNED HOUSES. DO IT LIKE EVENDALE AND THE PRINCETON DISTRICT, OR LURE THE RICH PROFESSIONALS LIKE MASON AND SPRINGBORO DID. (ALTHOUGH FAR-FETCHED THINKING FOR MIDD. AT THIS POINT IN TIME) NOW, GO AHEAD AND ADD YOUR IDEAS AND LABEL MINE "NOT A REAL SOLUTION" BECAUSE IT DOESN'T AGREE WITH YOUR INPUT. MERCY.

I'M SURE THERE IS MONEY WASTED IN THIS DISTRICT. PERHAPS ALOT OF IT SPENT ON ITEMS NOT ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY TO THE OPERATION. THERE IS WASTE IN ANY SYSTEM. JUST GOT TO CUT THROUGH THE BULL AND ELIMINATE MONEY-WASTING PROGRAMS AND PEOPLE. YA DON'T NEED THREE OR FOUR ASSIST'S TO ANY POSITION IN ANY SCHOOL HERE. BIG SALARIES/BENNIES COSTS ELIMINATED....BIG MONEY SAVINGS FOR THE DISTRICT TO BE RE-FOCUSED ON THE NECESSARY THINGS.

YOU'RE UP BUD.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 11:57pm
VV: looky what I found on the Internet!
Email Etiquette
Source: http://www.virtu-software.com/ask-doug/QandA.asp?q=15
"Why shouldn't I use capital letters? A friend told me that I shouldn't use capital letters in my emails. Why not?"
Answer
You can use capital letters in your emails...just don't use all capitals. It's considered rude. It's like yelling at someone.

I know, I know...your response will be "YOU CAN FIND ANYTHING ON THE INTERNET."
I am "JUST 1CHMOORE."
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 12:02am
VV: two simple questions: (1) how much (dollar figure) would you suggest MCSD put into MMS; (2) where do you see the funds (money) coming from? NO BLOVIATING! Just two simple questions with two simple answers. We know that test scores are miserable, teachers don't deserve their pay, unions are evil, Middletown sucks, etc. Just need the two answers which you have failed to give for the last two years. Just 1chmoore---otherwise known as "Bud" to my friends.
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

If any of the big signs have been placed improperly in the right of way, if you leave a message with the location with the superintendent's office, he will see that the sign is moved.
During the single trip I made this evening I noticed three signs in the right-of-way:
One on the north side of Manchester Avenue, just west of the Speedway at Cincinnati-Dayton Road;
Two on the west side of Cincinnati-Dayton Road, one each just north and south of the former Starglow Drive-In theater.

Although I did not personally witness it, the photo posted by Iron Man above clearly shows a sign within the right-of-way on the south side of Roosevelt Boulevard just east of the AK main gate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic