Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, March 29, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AGENDA 4-15-2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 1:27pm
Manchester- 50/50

OTHERS- Not a chance

http://www.nps.gov/nr/national_register_fundamentals.htm
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:17pm
swohio 75:

Perhaps you can clarify the contents of this story for me. Specifically this.....

"There is a large auditorium addition on the rear. The current owner has constructed a room addition on the east side of the building with no zoning or building permits or approval from this Commission"

FIRST OF ALL, IS THIS BUILDING A DECLARED HISTORICAL STRUCTURE AND UNDER THE SCRUTINY OF THE HISTORIC COMMISSION? THE BUILDING DOES NOT LIE IN A DECLARED HISTORIC DISTRICT DOES IT? I THOUGHT WE ONLY HAD TWO-- S. MAIN ST AND THE HIGHLANDS. FURTHERMORE, IF VINYL SIDING IS AN ISSUE NOW, WHY WAS IT ALLOWED TO HAVE VINYL SIDING IN THE PAST? SECOND OBSERVATION.....IF THIS BUILDING HAS NOT BEEN A DECLARED A HISTORIC STRUCTURE, KOHLER AND THE OTHER "HISTORIC GROUP MEMBERS" NEED NOT CONCERN THEMSELVES WITH THE ADDITION, BUT RATHER IT NOW FALLS INTO THE REALM OF THE CITY BUILDING CODE FOLKS AND A BUILDING PERMIT ISSUE VIOLATION--IE, WHENEVER A PERMANENT STRUCTURE IS PLACED ON A PROPERTY, IT MUST HAVE AN INSPECTION, APPROVAL AND THE COST PAID FOR A BUILDING PERMIT BEFORE IMPROVING/BUILDING.

I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH ANY COMMERCIAL BUILDING REQUIREMENTS AS OPPOSED TO RESIDENTIAL AS TO EITHER THE BUILDING INSPECTOR/PERMIT SEQUENCE NOR THE HISTORICAL COMMISSION REQUIREMENTS ON COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES. IS THERE A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RESIDENTIAL AND COMMERCIAL?

THEN....YOU HAVE THE PRIVACY ISSUE- IE- THE PRIVACY FENCE WHICH PUTS ALL OF THIS OUT OF SIGHT TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC'S VIEW.

"Ms. Romero would like to see a design more in keeping with the building than the addition as built."

AGAIN, IF MS ROMERO IS A MEMBER OF THE HISTORIC COMMISSION AND THE BUILDING HAS NOT BEEN PROCLAIMED AS HISTORIC, WHY WOULD IT BE ANY OF MS. ROMERO'S BUSINESS WHAT HAS TRANSPIRED?

SAME WITH THIS STATEMENT....

"Mr. Kohler would like feedback from this group. Ms. Romero said the addition looks like a trailer parked up against the building, it is not in keeping with the style or quality of the building at all"

IF THE BUILDING IS IN A HISTORIC DISTRICT AND DECLARED HISTORIC, THEN APPROPRIATE. IF NOT, NONE OF THEIR CONCERN AND THEY ARE OVERSTEPPING THEIR BOUNDARIES.

"The first addition, the auditorium, is not up to current district standards either. (HOW DID THAT SLIP BY THEIR SCRUTINY?) But it is not visible from the front. Mr. Sauer wondered whether the auditorium addition was originally concrete block. Nobody else recalls what the original material was. (THEN HOW CAN YOU MAKE A JUDGEMENT ON WHAT IT IS NOW SUPPOSE TO BE IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS TO BEGIN WITH?) Ms. Romero asked whether Mr. Kohler had enough information from this group to take to the owner. Mr. Kohler replied affirmatively. He would mention that the design and the material need to be more sympathetic with the original building, the window and door styles also more in keeping with the original building, the heights of the door and window need to be the same or at least related. ( YOU JUST STATED THAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE ORIGINAL MATERIALS WERE) Mr. Kohler felt that he needed to get some specific comments from this group to take to the owner before he goes to the expense of hiring an architect. Ms. Romero asked for a motion to table this case"

HIRING AN ARCHITECT? TO TELL THE OWNER THE WAY IT SHOULD BE? WHY ARE YOU BUTTING INTO THE OWNER'S BUSINESS KOHLER?

GRASPING AT STRAWS AND A GREAT DEAL OF SUPPOSITION HERE. SOUNDS LIKE THE HISTORIC COMMITTEE REALLY DOESN'T KNOW WHAT IS NEEDED HERE. I QUESTION WHETHER THE PLACE FALLS UNDER THEIR JURISDICTION OR NOT. SEEMS A TAD BIT OUT OF THE WAY, LOCATION WISE, TO BE INCLUDED IN THE S. MAIN ST DISTRICT DOESN'T IT? .....WHY NOT JUST LEAVE THE OWNER ALONE?

WADE E. MILLER GYM WAS "TACKED ON" TO THE OLD HIGH SCHOOL. SO WAS THE ANNEX IN BACK OF THE SCHOOL. THE HIGH SCHOOL IS A HISTORIC STRUCTURE RIGHT?. THEN WHY HASN'T YOUR LITTLE HISTORIC COMMISSION JUMPED THE SCHOOLS ABOUT "TACKING ON" INAPPROPRIATE BUILDINGS AND MATERIALS TO THE OLD HIGH SCHOOL? AND BECAUSE THE WADE E MILLER GYM IS HISTORIC, WHY ARE THERE NOW GLASS BACKBOARDS AND NOT THE ORIGINAL WOOD MATERIAL IF WE WANT TO STAY WITH HISTORIC ACCURACY?

WHAT ABOUT "CHANGING THE FACE OF AND BEING "INAPPROPRIATE" WITH BARNITZ STADIUM'S HISTORIC VALUE WITH THE FANCY NEW SCOREBOARD, NEW SYNTHETIC TURF AND NEW STANDS? LET'S NOT CHANGE THAT AREA BELOW THE STANDS EITHER, EVEN IF IT IS FOR IMPROVEMENT AND WITH THE LATEST MATERIALS. AREN'T THE CHANGES TO BARNITZ, FROM A "RETAIN THE HISTORIC APPEARANCE" PERSPECTIVE INAPPROPRIATE? SHOULDN'T IT BE NATURAL GRASS AND A WOODEN SCOREBOARD LIKE WAS ORIGINALLY BUILT?

WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE WITH THIS LITTLE GROUP AS TO TELLING THE COMMUNITY WHAT IS AND IS NOT "HISTORICALLY APPROPRIATE"?

I HAVE INTENTIONALLY TAKEN THIS WAY BEYOND THE LIMIT TO HIGHLIGHT HOW FAR EXTREMISTS CAN TAKE THEIR CAUSES IF THEY LACK ANY COMMON SENSE OR JUST EXIST FOR CONGERING UP VENDETTAS TOWARD PEOPLE. I WOULD SAY, IN CASTING JUDGEMENT ON THE HISTORIC GROUP, THAT THEY TEND TO BE A TAD BIT VINDICTIVE IF YOU DON'T PLAY BALL THEIR WAY.....AND THAT AIN'T GOOD. THESE PEOPLE ARE LIKE AN OUT-OF-CONTROL HOME OWNERS ASSOCIATION WHO GOES ABOUT TELLING EVERYONE CONNECTED WITH OWNING HISTORICAL PROPERTY HOW TO LIVE....AND THAT AIN'T GOOD EITHER.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:24pm
VV: you have ,again, hit the nail on the head. If Kohler doesn't know what was there then how is he going to know what is "appropriate". This is more "posturing" by Kohler. He he throws out a lot of mumbo, jumbo he looks like he knows what he talking about. NOT!   If you can't convince em,confuss em.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 4:15pm

Dear Historic Commission

I believe you have made a mistake or have been given the wrong address.

The truly “historic building” that you must be looking for and need to be concerned about is on the other corner and was formally known as the Middletown Public Library but maybe you missed it as you were driving up First Avenue.

It is the very large stone building with boarded up or broken windows, roof with very large hole that is getting ready to collapse, with doors that have been kicked in and broken light fixtures out front.

However now that you have the correct location and the description of the building I’m sure you will be able to find it on your next trip to the area.

I do not believe that the current condition of this building meet any of your very high standards for the Urban Core or the local building codes but I sure that after a closer inspection of this property by your group they will be able to determine if my concerns are valid.

I’m sure you will be pleased to know that this property does meet all the required qualification to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places unlike many other buildings in the Urban Core.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 4:59pm
Hmmm…did Kohler move the Urban Core line again?
I was told that the Urban Core line applied only to the north side of First Avenue
because my little historic vault, located in the Middletown Cemetery is on the
south side of First Avenue therefore it did not qualify for any of the special
downtown funds and or matching grant money.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 5:54pm
beat me to it, Ms.V...
One look at the structure which used to be our former library should end this whole process. Then factor in the old high school, the Rose building, the Studio/hobby house area complex, the burned-out factory on the right as you enter town from the W Midd bridge, the Ligon building, the former Ward's building(adjacent), the recently sold historical society site, etc.....admin might want to address those issues asap

If current and/or prior owners of these and many other properties(including the Colonial(Sorg) Theater and Sorg Mansion) had bothered to make ANY attempt towards upkeep and keeping them serviceable, the area would look seriously better. To let these structures fall apart, then claim"historical significance" only in order to have someone else(taxpayers) pay for their negligence is hard for me to ignore.

Leave the K of C guy alone.....
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 10:51pm
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 11:24pm
Who are the people on the commission making these determinations. Urban Core Commission ?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:22am
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

MIDDLETOWN CITY COUNCIL AGENDA
TUESDAY, April 15, 2014

5. Ordinance No. O2014-21, an ordinance authorizing a development agreement with
Manchester LP and declaring an emergency.

This ordinance passed with absolutely no questions asked by members of council!!!

Bearing in mind that the City of Middletown is projecting deficit spending as far as can be seen into the future, and we are constantly being told that no money is available for anything--not even police or fire personnel--let alone road paving or the like, how can council pass this without asking where the money is coming from to meet the City's obligations under this deal???

Included in this deal:

1.  The City shall cause, at its sole expense, the Hotel and Sonshine building(s) to be listed on the historic register

How can this council approve deals like this and never ask where the money is coming from???

I believe the staff report answers this question:

In preparation for this, the City engaged Hardlines Design to complete a registration form to place the Manchester Hotel on the National Register of Historic Places. This was completed in time for the March 31 deadline. The city obtained a Pipeline grant from the Ohio Preservation Office to help fund the application work. Hardlines also submitted a Preliminary Questionnaire to the Ohio Historic Preservation office for the Sonshine building, which is the first step to submitting for nomination to the register.
No, it doesn't answer the questions!!!

You state that:  "The City engaged Hardlines Designs" to assist.  Where did the money come from to pay Hardlines Designs???  

You state that "Hardlines also submitted ...the first step" etc, etc.

Are you trying to say that Hardlines did this out of the goodness of their hearts???

I repeat:  WHERE DID THE MONEY COME FROM??? 

And you didn't address where the money was coming from to restore "the streetscape to its 1922 state", which could be in excess of $25,000!!!

So what say ye????
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:54am
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

That kangaroo court known as the Middletown Historic Commission is hassling the owners of the former Knights of Columbus building on First Avenue, trying to force them to spend a fortune to "restore" their property.  (You can read about this in the workbook for last night's council meeting.)

This is a bit of a distortion Mike. The owners constructed a recent addition WITHOUT zoning or building permits.  It has nothing to do with "restoring" their property but the appropriateness of the addition and use of materials of the addition.

Not a distortion at all!!!!

If it is a zoning or a building code issue, what in the H...E...Double Hockey Sticks business is it of that da__ kangaroo court known as the Historic commissions????????

Why doesn't the appropriate department handle it, just as they would any other time?????

And even if you are correct  ( the odds of which are astronomical against), that still doesn't address why the Historic commission doesn't haul the Board of Education in for similar violations on on the VERY SAME DA** CITY BLOCK!!!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 8:18am

Included in this deal:

1.  The City shall cause, at its sole expense, the Hotel and Sonshine building(s) to be listed on the historic register

2.  The City shall commit an amount not to exceed Twenty Five Thousand Dollars ($25,000.00) for the redevelopment of the street-scape surrounding the Hotel to match the way it was in the 1920s.

Mike
Several times over the past few
years City Hall has complained about the sea of pavers that surround their building and they continue all the way over to the Manchester Inn and end at Manchester Ave.
Since the current street-scape of these two buildings are tied together by all these pavers, and City Hall wants a new design for their property, they have decided to foot the landscaping bill for the Manchester Inn in 2017
I’m sure the plans are already on the drawing board for the new look of City Hall.

blue7 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:49pm
Is this social club still Edward Bros Hall? Wasn't there a shooting in that club a couple years ago? I wonder if this is the beginning process of trying to get them out. I think it's a byob kind of place.

Not that it matters to the big picture, or to the Historic People.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic