FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A better Middletown???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A better Middletown???
    Posted: Apr 12 2014 at 1:49pm
Crime is a BIG problem in Middletown you can not ignore it, so let's cut police and fire. Let's all go down to the river and watch the sunset and drink a glass of Merlot. Our leaders have the "Scarlett Syndrome " "I can't think about that now, I'll think about that tomorrow ,after all tomorrow is another day"
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2014 at 11:08am
  QUESTION- What takes priority?

A $95,000,000 building associated with k-12 education, or:

1) Police protection

2) Road repair and infrastructure

3) Amenities for quality of life

BTW, its not just low life bums that are abusers friends.

Self attrition? I don't think AG Dewine would agree. And...what happens when they kill you, and not themselves? Blind justice- norm, not the exception unfortunately.

I vote 1. , safety over schools.

DeWine's top prosecutor gets DUI

Bill Schenck was part of AG Office's Limberios investigation and headed up grand jury investigation of a sexploited schizophrenic Sandusky County jail inamte in 2012
Register
Fremont
Jan 12, 2014
Police mugshot after Dec. 2 arrest.

Former Greene County Prosecutor William F. Schenck, now a senior advisor for the Ohio Attorney General's Office, was cited Dec. 2 for a drunk driving offense, according to a news report from Channel 19 WHIO-TV in Cleveland.

The 67-year-old Beavercreek resident was arrested Dec. 2 and charged with OVI and failure to use a turn signal. The arrest was captured on a police cruiser dashcam. The video of his arrest is posted at plunderbund.com, a website designed to expose political corruption. 

Click her to watch video

DeWine, who has a long association with Schenck, hired him to serve as a senior advisor after DeWine was elected in 2010. DeWine assigned Schenck to head up the investigation of the sexual exploitation of a 21-year-old schizophrenic inmate in Sandusky County who was denied her medications and placed in a observational jail cell and left there nude. The inmate was encouraged to masturbate and perform other lewd acts by jail guards during a six-hour period on Jan. 10, 2012. 

Click here for news coverage

The grand jury and DeWine's office determined that no crime had been committed during the sexual exploitation of the woman. Two jail guards were fired by sheriff Kyle Overmyer, however, after the Register learned of the incident and reported on it. 

Schenck also was deeply involved in the AG's investigation of the death of Jacob Limberios, which also resulted in no criminal indictments. The AG's office determined Sandusky County officials botched the initial investigation and key evidence was destroyed in the hours immediately after Limberios was killed on March 2, 2012.

Click here for the latest news coverage of the Limberios shooting saga

The AG's office told WHIO News that Schenck is to get alcohol-related treatment but has not been suspended or put on leave. Any disciplinary action for Schenck would occur after court proceedings are over, the news story stated.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
blue7 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2014 at 11:07am
I went off on a tangent, but yes I agree, a River Center, is not necessary. Unless that money is specifically for "river projects" or however they allocate funds.
FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2014 at 10:54am
Quit wasting time, money, resources on reviving the OD'ers. Let attrition take care of the problem.
blue7 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2014 at 10:41am
Drugs are draining our public services in every aspect in this community, and a lot of communities. Police, courts, schools (quality of parents), welfare, and medical. Ask a firemen/EMS how many OD calls they are going on a day. That trickles down in to crime against businesses and home owners. I've been watching this happen for the last 10 years. We could slowly see the shift in demographics of the population and correlations between income/drug use. Now it's taking over all populations/classes.

I wonder how Middletown fought this problem in years past? There's always been drugs and addiction, and there always will be. But how did Middletown police and the other support services keep it out or under control. Maybe it has more to do with supply vs demand and the cost. Heroin prices have dropped as other opioid prices are expensive or harder to obtain. It's just a huge drain on our community. How do other towns/cities control it? Obviously arresting drug addicts don't work because if you read the Middletown court dockets, many are repeat offenders. Maybe drug court works for those who want it to work.

I think if we compared police work like we do schools, to results, it would be a bleak report. That doesn't mean we should cut police though.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2014 at 9:49am
"A good brunch at Murphy's Landing. A  morning sail on the river overlooking our terrace view. Oh, how it reminds me of our walks around Central Park when we lived on Park Avenue. Reading my New Yorker after a savory meal at Stefano's and peach cognac. My Gulfstream plane, hangered at Hook Field, fueled and ready to fly to West Palm Beach for our easter weekend. Honey, you did pack my polo boots?"

"Paradise has been found, in Middletown. Raise the cups....cheers!"

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2014 at 9:15am
 Mike

I heard City Hall is going to build a nice place at the Middletown River Centre for the new Yacht Dealership that will be coming to town.

Yes sir, we believe in build it and those big buckers will come!                                                                                                                                                                                          
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2014 at 8:28am
Despite a few cameo appearances, the city Council/Admin chose to ignore local BusinessWatch meetings, preferring to act as if there was no local crime concerns(as opposed to addressing those concerns). Similar to the way that they approach most other concerns outside of the former downtown/South ?Main area.

At prior BusinessWatch meetings, police dept.presence/involvement was outstanding with quarterly safety(personal and business) presentations. The partnership with the Chamber(more so under Bill Triick) was very good.

Yet as the organization's efforts began to show positive results, many active businesses quit attending the monthly meetings. The organization has pretty much gone away(despite police dept. urging to continue), being somewhat replaced by the growing and active Neighborhood Watch program.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2014 at 7:59am
You have of course, heard of the phrase, 'getting no traction.'

Middletown is not only stuck in the mud, but on an steep angled slope of mud, with rain accumulating at 3 inches an hour, and forecast 24/7/365. It slips off the slope soon.

Add to your list concerns about AKS, pollution harm from AKS and others, high taxes, and the attractiveness to outsiders, albeit a business or a resident, is about .000000000001 on a scale of 0 to 10- appealing.

When the Renaissance boasts of being within Warren County School District, what does that reflect of MCSD?

What leadership fails to recognize are the mountainous obstacles confronting Middletown, while plotting a strategy as if it were a city perceived as Lebanon, filled with pockets of crown jewels to exploit.

Its impossible to drive forward when you are stuck in mud, falling backward and downward, and raining...very hard.     

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2014 at 1:10am
Many have posited various opinions about what it will take to lure more upper-middle class and upper class families to move to Middletown.  Some think that more arts and antiques "downetowne" is the key.  Others feel that our third-world streets and infrastructure is keeping such families away.  Still others say that our under-performing school district must vastly improve to draw the desired demographics.  (A subset of this group seems to blame the school district's under-performance on an old school building and thinks spending $95 million on new facilities will fix everything.)

Well, I don't know if it is any of these things, or a combination of some or all of these things, but I ask that you consider this excerpt from the April 9 newsletter from the Middletown Safety Council to Neighborhood Watch members:

"Middletown has the highest property crime rate in the state and one of the highest overall crime rates in the nation."

Next, remember that City Hall has let it be known that we will soon be cutting back on police officers, yet City Hall has told our State representatives that our greatest need is for money to develop "Middletown River Centre"!!!

Confused
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic