Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, April 25, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introduction of the New City Manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 10:59pm
Acclaro: the number of vouchers will remain the same in Middletown (1662) the city will no longer have control over the program and they will no longer get the HUD money they were getting to run the program. They also will be missing some other HUD money in the form of CDBG NSP funds. You know the ones they like to move around to use else where for other projects.so no I wouldn't call it a win because you didn't reduce the number of vouchers and you also lost all the extra HUD money. So no Ms. Judy and Dougie failed. But then again he can always spin it to them about how much more he can do. Remember when he told council "we haven't done any thing wrong" "they have to charge us with something" No Dougie you're wrong ,they told you you were "not in compliance " that means you're not doing the right thing. That's how HUD WORKS. If you are to stupid to figure that out... But then he's not stupid that how he spun it to council and they bought it. IMO
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 11:09pm
So, with new admin, that already exists, Adkins will need a job. So...he will get city manager.

New boss.....same as old boss.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 1:14am
How does anyone in their right mind conclude that the transfer of the HUD Housing Choice Voucher Program to the Butler Metropolitan Housing Authority would be a feather in the cap of a Community Revitalization Department staff member? The units to be transferred to BHMA is 1662, or, the current number administered by Middletown Public Housing Authority. What makes anyone think that non-Middletown segments of Warren and Butler Counties will clamor for Section 8 units to be transferred there? And, what about the 10% of HCV funds that is earmarked for administrative purposes? Yes, there are likely less than $150,000 in funds utilized by the city. And, what about the funds paid to Nelson Associates, etc., etc. Please be advised that there's much, much more than $150,000+/- involved to set the record straight. It's illogical for anyone to presume that the transfer of the Section 8 program is something to be considered favorable for one current city staff candidate for City Manager.
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 7:23am
Agreed with most of what you said but there are many people who work for the city who have their master degrees. Some are in fire and police and some are spread throughout the city building. Doesn't make them good candidates for CM. But I do agree with the experience factor. Personally I think all five candidates are weak. Maybe they should reopen the whole thing.
AK - What is going on with that?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 7:46am

Yes  sir, City Hall said they only get about $150,000 for the Section 8 Program…
I can’t wait for you to see the tap dance they are going to do to cover up this big lie.Confused
Keep your eye on the bouncing red ball folks….

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 8:17am

Perplexed
You are sooo correct…
.Warren County will receive all Section 8 Vouchers that are located East of Dixie Hwy. That area would include the large Robin Spring complex.
Warren County is NOT HAPPY to say the least…

Unlike Middletown they do NOT want to be the Section 8 capital of Ohio

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 8:46am

Wait, wait…do you hear that strange noise…That big sucking sound is all those HUD Funds leaving the City of Middletown coffer’s.
Yes. sir now you will see who has really benefited from all that HUD poor peoples money.

FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS YOU HAVE BEEN LIVING IN "SLUMVILLE USA" AND GETTING WELFARE CHECKS EVERY SEVERAL MONTHS FROM THE STATE AND FEDERAL GOVERMENTS TO KEEP THIS CITY OPERATING.   

JUST THINK.... IN 15 SHORT YEARS THESE IDIOTS HAVE COMPLETLY DESTROYED OUR HOME TOWN
THEY HAVE DONE SUCH A FINE JOB....HELL YES GIVE THEM MORE MONEY AND ANOTHER RAISE!

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 9:10am
I am sorry....but I am totally confused.

It was stated there is pending investigation and  an open audit by HUD which prevents any information from being available from the HUD audit, and yet there are statements made about an outcome, non published to date, about 1662 vouchers which will remain and transfer to the current program out of Middletown to two county programs. How was that decision determined? HUD or the city?

Secondly, I have read Marty Kohler and Dr. Price worked in tandem to raise HUD Section 8 vouchers; the same vouchers Nancy Nix, Noah Powers, Tony Marconi, others, denies, or all sitting council a few years ago  but Marty Kohler still works for the city and the levy nearly passed, when many claim it was the vouchers that undermioed MCSD performance. Why was Marty Kohler not fired?

Thirdly, I have not heard anyone on council state the voucher transfer was coming forth.

Fourthly, if all is true, you would agree Doug Adkins will not be offered a position in either of the two counties in all probability, sime they have county administration, so the  very fact Doug Adkins is a finalist for city manager shows that council doesn't think he did something wrong, or they are not aware these vouchers are being transferred for administration? And, as importantly, if they know, they think he needs a job.....isn't it true they will likely give him a job as city manager?

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 9:56am

I am sorry....but I am totally confused.
Well Acclaro I will try to untangle this web for you one point at a time...

It was stated there is pending investigation and  an open audit by HUD which prevents any information from being available from the HUD audit, and yet there are statements made about an outcome, non published to date, about 1662 vouchers which will remain and transfer to the current program out of Middletown to two county programs. How was that decision determined? HUD or the city?
WORD ON THE STREET: HUD said turn over the program or we will take legal action against all those involved City Council, Miss Judy and Doug Adkins. I have heard that Adkins has filed an appeal with HUD.

Secondly, I have read Marty Kohler and Dr. Price worked in tandem to raise HUD Section 8 vouchers; the same vouchers Nancy Nix, Noah Powers, Tony Marconi, others, denies, or all sitting council a few years ago  but Marty Kohler still works for the city and the levy nearly passed, when many claim it was the vouchers that undermined MCSD performance.
The increase of HUD Section 8 Vouchers started with Neil (see MJ article under vouchers). and then Marty took over the program and approved all other increases in the voucher program to their current level of 1662. City Hall increased the program by about 900 vouchers…then multiply that number by 2 to 3 children per household and you now have the increase and need for all the new schools that were built with the last levy. For all these PHD’s, Collage Educated people to say that they did not realize what would happen to the school system…Is a flat out lie…A high school drop out could have predicted this out come…mercy
Why was Marty Kohler not fired?
…and as my granny would say..”Now that’s the $64,000 question”

Thirdly, I have not heard anyone on council state the voucher transfer was coming forth.
”This is a legal action and we are not allowed to talk about it” They are all up to their eye balls in this mess because COUNCIL MEMBERS ARE THE MPHA

Fourthly, if all is true, you would agree Doug Adkins will not be offered a position in either of the two counties in all probability, some they have county administration, so the  very fact Doug Adkins is a finalist for city manager shows that council doesn't think he did something wrong, or they are not aware these vouchers are being transferred for administration? And, as importantly, if they know, they think he needs a job.....isn't it true they will likely give him a job as city manager?
If city council admits that Dougie has done anything wrong…then they have to admit that they have done something wrong also because COUNCIL MEMBERS ARE THE MPHA

Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 9:59am
Most people don't know this, but, nearly $500,000 of CDBG funds were spent prior to 2007 for the demolition of the Maple Park and Amanda schools. Kohler and Dr. Price worked very closely together on these neighborhood revitalization (??) projects. Those two were good buddies!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:12am

Perplexed
Thanks for reminding me about these projects.
Yes they were really good buds back in those days.
Perplexed please correct me if I give any incorrect information on any of these HUD programs.
My three little grey cells are about to OD on all this mess.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:20am

“The city suffers from an overabundance of rental property, beyond what the existing market can support and a corresponding lack of home ownership in distressed neighborhoods,” Adkins said. “During the past 10 years, the city implemented a policy of increasing the number of Section 8 vouchers to assist low-income residents.”

Before Dec. 1, 1999, the city had 774 Section 8 vouchers. But because the city wanted to reduce the vacancy rates of older and less-desirable homes, and to ensure that housing remained in compliance with city code,Middletown officials began to accept additional vouchers, Adkins said.

The city added 888 over the next six years, with 56.9 percent of the vouchers having been added in 2000 and 2001. The last increase came on Oct. 1, 2005 when they accepted 108 vouchers.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:31am
acclaro: I have to clarifiy a statement I made earlier in which I posted "if you are too stupid to figure that out" I was ofcourse referring to Doug NOT you.I did not want you to think that was directed toward you. Sometimes you post something how you are thinking put in print it looks much different.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 11:34am
Perhaps someone will inform Ms. Howington the city is mandated to hire Doug Adkins because he can't reveal what occurred with HUD and needs to be under legal cover by the city of Middletown. What a shame the best candidate can't be hired.

Howington, Jane
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 2:30pm

Ooops…Acclaro
I forgot another important point..
Nelson and Associates contract for the Section 8 Program expired in March 2014 and it has not been renewed.
It is now only a matter of them separating and 
transferring all the data to Warren and Butler counties.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 3:37pm
There is much about the city and the section 8 mess I admit, I don't have specific details.

But, this, I do know.

I watched Marty Kohler tell city council how rapid and how escalated the HUD section 8 vouchers were. I know as fact, he was asked, who approved the elevation. It is fact, he stated to them, "they did." It is a fact they denied ever knowing of the increase.

It is a fact, when new council was put in place, they wanted the vouchers reduced, to undo, what Mr. Kohler had done. That led to the battle with HUD and what has appeared to be an audit that has been quiet and not been mentioned by council, in nearly nine months.

It is a fact Mr. Kohler was not reprimanded, and remains employed.   Many ask a simple question. What does it take to be terminated by the city of Middletown? Council denied knowing there was an increase, new council attempts to cut the unwanted vouchers back to a previous level. Call me wrong....but I surmise 9 out 10 residents would say something is wrong with this picture purely on these simple facts.

Last question. Who handles the HUD appeal? HUD, or DOJ?

The elevation in HUD section 8, for purposes no opne on council can explain, nor Mr. Kohler, has done great harm to crime, property values, MCSD performance, and the city's reputation. And no one has been terminated. Has there been a conductor on this train in two generations....it appears not.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 4:03pm

Middletown Journal
Posted:
6:24 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2013

Council weighs options for response to HUD

By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN  The city is not at risk of losing federal funding or being sued by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development if it proceeds with a plan to eliminate 1,008 Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers over the next five years — at least not right now, said Community Revitalization Director Doug Adkins.

“You’re at no risk right this minute,” Adkins told Middletown City Council at the board’s Tuesday meeting. “Zero.”

Adkins presented council members with five options for responding to a Dec. 21 letter the city received from HUD about its plan to cut Section 8 vouchers. In the letter, HUD officials told city officials that they needed to either fill Middletown’s available vouchers, transfer the city’s voucher program to the Butler Metropolitan Housing Agency or face possible legal action.

Adkins told council he disagreed with characterizations of HUD’s letter as being “strongly worded.” He said he thought the letter was “diplomatically written” given each side’s differing point of view on the matter.

“No fair housing or civil rights threats were made, no regulatory violations were cited,” said Adkins, a former attorney with the U.S. Labor Department. “We have been politely asked if we would like to walk away and give our program to Butler Metro… As an attorney, I’m looking for, where’s the hammer?”

Adkins said there is nothing in HUD’s regulations that says Middletown can’t cut vouchers. He said he’s “100 percent comfortable moving forward” with the city’s plan because HUD needs to cite the city before they can say any federal funding would be in jeopardy.

Still, Adkins said city staff would research and make a detailed presentation to council in two weeks about five ways they could respond to HUD’s letter. The options include:

·                       Transferring the program to BMHA as requested. Adkins said while it gets the city out of the public housing business and attention can be redirected to other issues, the city would “lose all the controls and safeguards that we have built into the program over the last three years and the vouchers will continue to stay concentrated in Middletown.”

·                       Negotiating a transfer the program with conditions. BMHA would take over the program with the city’s standards, which includes honoring the city’s barred landlord list and adopting rent usefulness and payment standards to de-concentrate high poverty census tracts.

·                       Transferring just the 1,008 vouchers to BMHA and continuing MPHA operations with the proposed 654 vouchers.

·                       Keeping vouchers and negotiating to reduce other subsidized housing units, though Adkins said this option is the least likely HUD would consider.

·                       To “politely decline” and move forward with what the city has proposed.

The city must respond to HUD’s letter by Jan. 31, however, Adkins told council he has asked for an extension until March so that the city could thoroughly review its options.

The proposal city leaders sent to HUD, which was approved by the Middletown Public Housing Agency on Oct. 16, reduces the city’s total subsidize housing to 10 percent of the city’s total housing stock. It also places the city in compliance for HUD regulations to have 95 percent of its vouchers filled. With more than 1,600 vouchers issued, the city only had about 82 percent of them filled.

Staff proposed and the MPHA board, which consists of all seven members of city council, approved the plan to reduce the vouchers to 654 and transfer the remaining 1,008 vouchers to another housing authority or back to HUD.

Jeff Faulkner, of Wilbraham Road and a Section 8 landlord, said he felt HUD’s letter was clear: comply by filling the available vouchers or risk losing the program and local control. Faulkner said he’s “fed up” with the process and the way the city is “beating up” Section 8 landlords with its strenuous property inspections.

Faulkner has sued the city in small claims court on Dec. 28 for boarding up his rental property at 2108 Winona Drive four years ago, and alleges it cost him potential income and thousands of dollars in repairs. He is seeking $3,000 plus interest from the city.

“This program now is getting a bad reputation of not being landlord friendly,” Faulkner said. “It’s all about the landlords. We’re the vendors, we’re the ones that own the homes, we make them available for people who need them.”

Councilman Joshua Laubach assured Faulkner that council wasn’t “unfairly going after or targeting landlords or Section 8 owners.” Laubach said the city’s plan is about maintaining local control of how Middletown looks demographically and not being governed by outside federal dollars.

But other council members expressed concerns about challenging HUD.

“My concern is the same as the vice mayor’s, that we run the risk of losing a lot of what we built over the last three years that I’ve been here,” Councilman A. J. Smith said.

If HUD comes back and says the city did violate some regulation, Adkins said City     Council will have time to regroup and reassess its position because “they have to cite us with something, they have to find that we have broken something.” Then they have to allow the city to have an action plan to regain compliance.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 4:10pm

Acclaro
I have sent the following email to Doug Adkins and Kyle Fuchs just a few minutes ago. I will scan and post the information as soon as I receive it from City Hall. vcm

Under the Freedom of Information Act I'm requesting copies the following documents:

Kyle
I would like copies of the original documents with signatures of any and all request for increases in vouchers concerning the Section 8 program for Middletown, Ohio between 2000 - 2006.

Thank you 
Vivian Moon 
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 4:35pm
Acclaro,
       I'm sorry to say your assessment regarding Doug Adkins being appointed City manager is correct. In spite of the fact he and his boss have negatively impacted thousands of citizens Council is going to appoint him. If Council does this, and I have good reason to believe they will, then Council will demonstrate great irresponsibility toward their constituency and should have to be held accountable. We will be going down the wrong path again. When all is said and done Council must understand he is a prosecutor and thinks and acts like a prosecutor and he should go back to being a prosecutor. He  cannot communicate with the general public like a profesional administrator. He certainly is NOT qualified to be a City Manager. I appeal to council to take more applications, spend a little more money if necessary, but get the right person. As Ken Cohen suggested, "Don't settle."  Who in teh world got up such alist and tehn made a short list like this? It is a joke. This is vitally important at this time. Its not too late. We can and must turn the city into a more positive direction. We have the talent and can create the opportunities in this city to do it.
       Paul Nagy
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 5:18pm

I watched Marty Kohler tell city council how rapid and how escalated the HUD section 8 vouchers were. I know as fact, he was asked, who approved the elevation. It is fact, he stated to them, "they did." It is a fact they denied ever knowing of the increase.
Yes sir them boys down at City Hall are sure they have been doing a fine job..if only they could remember what they have been doing

It is a fact, when new council was put in place, they wanted the vouchers reduced, to undo, what Mr. Kohler had done. That led to the battle with HUD and what has appeared to be an audit that has been quiet and not been mentioned by council, in nearly nine months.
Them boys know all the best hiding places at City Hall for all their dirty laundry

It is a fact Mr. Kohler was not reprimanded, and remains employed. Many ask a simple question. What does it take to be terminated by the city of Middletown?
In his report to HUD, Mr. Adkins stated that the Section 8 Program had DEVISTATED the City of Middletown. I attended a Meet your Council Person meeting at the home of Anita Scott Jones and Josh Laubach was also present. I believe Mike Presta was at this meeting also.
I stated that if one of my employees had DEVISTATED my business I would have fire him in a heart beat…I then asked …Why is Marty Kohler still on the city payroll? I thought the grass was going to catch on fire since they all jumped out of their chairs so fast…NO NO NO…because every body at City Hall knows that Crazy Vivian could never be correct.

Council denied knowing there was an increase, new council attempts to cut the unwanted vouchers back to a previous level. Call me wrong....but I surmise 9 out 10 residents would say something is wrong with this picture purely on these simple facts.
….and after all Acclaro that happened in the past and council members does not want to speak of the past. It is you sir that simply does not understand the situation..

Last question. Who handles the HUD appeal? HUD, or DOJ?
Hmmm…I’m not sure but I would presume the city appeal would go before HUD in Washington, D.C.  You might want to call Mr. Adkins to answer this question. 

The elevation in HUD section 8, for purposes no one on council can explain, nor Mr. Kohler, has done great harm to crime, property values, MCSD performance, and the city's reputation. And no one has been terminated. Has there been a conductor on this train in two generations....it appears not.
No…or an engineer either.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 7:23pm
We don't even have to look at the number of vouchers Marty brought in.Lets just look at the number of businesses Marty single handedly has caused to decline to move to our city. He doesn't return phone calls, he refuses to consider zoning changes. Doug threw the city under the bus saying our zoning laws are antiquated and should be changed ..Why has Marty not done that? Would that be dereliction of duty? It would be in OUR world and WE would be dismissed. They say it cost money and the city doesn't have it. But we do for other projects. You would think it would be top priority to be working off of current law. So maybe that goes back to Les. The point is Marty has been a detriment to the city but there he sits drawing a nice salary. IMO
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 8:09pm
Connecting the dots.

As the story concludes, Adkins is needed as a witness on the appeal. It is better to have one on payroll that supports the city, than one hostile as a witness. In turn....he gets city manager, not on accomplishment, not on experience.....

but because he may need a job as the feds paid some of his salary (I thought associated with NSP and the like), and they know it is better to have him in the camp, than out.

But, no surprise. I mean, Marty Kohler who brought in double the vouchers no one has indicated they approved and knew of the addition, which has been the thrust of the reduction, is employed. Adkins gets a promotion.

What are lessons learned? When working for the city, it is wise to live next door, or on the same street, as your city council members. It promotes job security. 

Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 12:31am
Acclaro -

Much of the Community Revitalization Dept. administrative funds, presuming Section 8 Administrative funding is transferred to BMHA, are HUD-based (Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) plus the Home Investment Partnerships (HOME) programs). As noted previously, CDBG is already administratively top-heavy while HOME only allows roughly 10% of the grant ($40,000+/-). Something has to give.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 6:58am

Middletown Journal
Posted: 12:00 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 5, 2013

HUD to Middletown: Fill the vouchers, transfer the program or face legal action
By Michael D. Pitman
Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has given Middletown three choices concerning its proposal to eliminate more than 1,000 Section 8 vouchers: fill the available vouchers, transfer the program to Butler County or face legal action.

Middletown officials sent HUD a 142-page proposal in October outlining the city’s plan to get rid of 1,008 Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers through attrition over the next three to five years. The proposal was in response to HUD’s request for a corrective action plan to address the fact that Middletown was filling the number of housing vouchers required. The city needed to have 95 percent of its 1,662 vouchers filled, but only had 1,424 filled as of August.

In a two-page letter sent to city officials on Dec. 18, Shawn Sweet, the director of HUD’s Cleveland Hub Office of Public Housing, wrote that filling the available vouchers “would forestall the need to explore the contentious legal issues that will inevitably arise should the city proceed” with trying to eliminate them.

Sweet also suggested that if Middletown doesn’t want to fill the vouchers, the city might be better off turning its program over to the Butler County Metropolitan Housing Authority. Middletown is one of a handful of Ohio cities that operates its own housing authority.

“As you may be aware, responsibility for administering Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers assistance in Ohio has been vested almost exclusively in each county’s metropolitan housing authority…,” Sweet wrote. “The city’s frustrations suggest the Middletown community would be better served by the prevailing model.”

Sweet said the BMHA “would seem to be in a superior position” to serve participating families concerning all housing options available in the region. He added that HUD has already had “preliminary discussions” with BMHA, which “has expressed a willingness to assume responsibility for the city’s current (Section 8 voucher) allocation.”

Officials with the BMHA could not be reached for comment.

A response to HUD’s letter is due Jan. 31 and most City Council members have said they will wait for recommendations on how to respond from city administrators. Councilman A.J. Smith, however, said Friday that the city should “back off” or risk losing HUD funding, including the $1 million Section 108 loan Middletown received on behalf of Cincinnati State Middletown.

Middletown Community Revitalization Director Doug Adkins, who authored the city’s proposal to HUD, said in October that he doesn’t believe the city’s plan violates any of the federal housing agency’s regulations. He said in order for Middletown to lose any HUD funding, the agency would have to first find that a regulation violation had been committed and that the city refused to cooperate to regain compliance.

City Manager Judy Gilleland and Adkins will present options at Tuesday’s council meeting, but a “more robust” discussion will happen at the Middletown Public Housing Authority meeting on Jan. 22, before council’s business meeting, according to emails from Gilleland to council members. Gilleland and Adkins declined comment until after Tuesday’s presentation.

Many council members said they were not surprised by the strong HUD response.

“We knew this wasn’t going to be easy,” said Councilwoman Ann Mort. “We had expected to negotiate, which is what we’re looking for. We have far more (vouchers) than other places in the county and we’ve been saying this for a long time.”

Councilman Joe Mulligan said he was “disappointed that they didn’t recognize so many of the concerns that Doug Adkins and his department laid out in the report.”

“I don’t think the three options that they gave will help us with our efforts to re-balance the economic makeup of our housing,” Mulligan said.

The letter said Sweet and the agency “disagree(s) with the argument that eliminating this affordable housing resource for needy Middletown families will somehow benefit the city’s economic prospects.”

“[T]his perception by the city cannot be used to justify departures from statutory, regulatory and other clearly established policy requirements,” Sweet wrote. “We would be gravely concerned in that regard if the city were to permit its utilization rate to precipitously fall as would be the case if vouchers are not reissued when families exit the program.”

Adkins said in October the goals of the program aren’t being achieved in a city that has seen a rise in poverty, decline in population and a housing stock with more than 3,000 dilapidated homes. The city has about 500 Section 8 landlords with about 1,400 Section 8 properties.

According to the proposal, the 1,662 Section 8 vouchers equals 49.8 percent of all subsidized housing in Middletown and 14.3 percent of all available housing in the city. The goal is to reduce all subsidize housing — which includes programs offered by the Butler Metro Public Housing   Agency, HUD directly and the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit — to 10 percent of all available housing in the city.

The Middletown Journal has been following this story since it was first reported in October, and will continue to inform our readers of future developments.

Section 8 vouchers

Here’s how many Section 8 vouchers the city’s housing authority controls compared to others in the area, and the jurisdiction’s population:

Middletown: 1,662 vouchers, 48,694 population

Butler County: 1,111 vouchers, 368,130 population

Warren County: 448 vouchers, 203,129 population

Cincinnati: 11,266 vouchers, 296,943 population

Dayton: 3,955 vouchers, 141,527 population

Source: City of Middletown Section 8 Analysis October 2012

Voucher increase

In 1999, the city had 774 Section 8 vouchers, which is 120 than being proposed the city cut down to. Here’s how the city acquired 888 more vouchers from 1999 to 2005:

Dec. 1, 1999: awarded 75 mainstream vouchers for non-elderly disabled

May 1, 2000: awarded 50 family unification vouchers for families where a lack of housing would allow separation with the children.

Sept. 1, 2000: awarded 55 fair share vouchers.

Nov. 1, 2000: awarded 200 vouchers in certain developments for non-elderly disabled.

Oct. 1, 2001: awarded 200 vouchers in certain developments for non-elderly disabled.

Jan. 1, 2003: awarded 200 vouchers in certain developments for non-elderly disabled.

Oct. 1, 2005: awarded 108 tenant protection vouchers for families in Chatham Village.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 8:16am

Posted: 12:00 a.m. Sunday, March 24, 2013

Housing expert says city is ‘playing with fire’

Section 8’s watershed moment with HUD will play a part in determining the city’s future

By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN Cutting 60 percent of Middletown’s existing Section 8 housing vouchers would be reckless and could cost the city millions of dollars in funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, low-income and housing experts say.

City officials plan to eliminate 1,008 Section 8 vouchers through attrition in the next five years. They say Middletown is over-saturated with subsidized housing that is taxing city services, generating crime and negatively impacting the city’s image. Middletown has the highest rate of subsidized housing in the state at 9.7 percent.

The Middletown Public Housing Authority presented the plan to HUD back in October, but it has encountered some resistance from the federal housing agency. HUD has told Middletown officials to fill 95 percent of its available vouchers, or transfer its voucher program to Butler County Metropolitan Housing Authority, or face possible legal action.

But city officials recently sent HUD a letter refusing to back down from their position.

HUD spokeswoman Donna White confirmed the agency is reviewing the city’s letter, but would not indicate when or how it might respond.

Elizabeth Brown, executive director of Housing Opportunities Made Equal, a Cincinnati-based housing rights organization, said Middletown officials are “playing with fire if they continue to thumb their noses at HUD.”

Brown said for years Middletown has been “held up as a model for running the Section 8 program,” but now the city is “tumbling off the pedestal.”

“They were serving their residents. They had a need in the community, and they had been meeting the need,” Brown said. “That’s not a negative thing to say they’re successful (serving low-income families).”

Brown said HUD has the ability to cut off all of its Community Development Block Grant funds if the agency believes Middletown is not being fair with its voucher program. Middletown is slated to receive $1.4 million in CDBG funds this year, according to city records.

She said she has talked with HUD after hearing about the city’s plans and that the agency is “extremely upset with Middletown.”

“To me the simplest thing is, if the city does not want to be in the business, they should simply turn the program over to the BMHA, and let them run it for the entire county,” Brown said. “It would be a fair process throughout the county, and it gets the city out of the middle of it.”

Phyllis Hitte, director of BMHA, said she would have no comment on Middletown’s vouchers until something happens with them involving her agency. Hitte said last week that BMHA would assume Middletown’s vouchers if HUD said so because there is a need for the vouchers.

BMHA currently administers 1,111 Section 8 vouchers and about 300 portable vouchers, which are vouchers assigned to other public housing agencies. Hitte said BMHA has a 4,000-family waiting list based on applications filled out nearly three years ago.

But Middletown officials don’t want to give up control of the Section 8 program. They say they just want to run it at a reduced level.

Doug Adkins, the city’s community revitalization director, said because there is a significant poverty rate in Middletown, having no subsidized housing wouldn’t be beneficial.

“Our poverty rate is over 20 percent, and we have a portion of our population that, due to age or personal circumstances, cannot fully provide for themselves,” Adkins said. “Two examples would be low, fixed-income seniors and disabled residents.”

Ignoring the needs of those residents when federal funds and programs are available “would lower those residents quality of life and place additional burdens on city resources to fill those unmet needs.”

“The harder part is finding the balance between helping the disadvantaged without hurting the remaining residents through loss of the income and property tax base and the ability to provide core city services,” Adkins said.’’

Middletown had less than 800 Section 8 housing vouchers in December 1999, but that figure more than doubled by October 2005. City officials placed a moratorium on accepting additional subsidized housing vouchers in 2005 in an effort to stop single-family homes from being transformed into multi-family residences.

A 2005 staff report on the moratorium stated: “A major concern expressed in the master plan is the trend towards higher renter occupancy in formerly owner-occupied neighborhoods. This trend has been coupled with disinvestment in the same neighborhoods.”

Butler County Treasurer Nancy Nix, who served on Middletown City Council when the moratorium was introduced, said it’s “anybody’s guess” what will happen if Middletown is allowed to reduce the total number of vouchers to 654.

“I hope that (HUD) would understand that we are out of balance and let us reduce it to a reasonable amount,” Nix said. “There is no reason that Middletown should be the Section 8 capital of the state. It’s a continued strain on our services, and it hinders our progress to be a more vibrant community.”

But critics of the city’s plan say eliminating the vouchers could create more problems than it solves. Cutting the vouchers would pull an estimated $6 million out of the local economy in funds paid to the city’s 400 Section 8 landlords. It could potentially create more than 1,000 new residential vacancies and displace more than 1,000 low-income families.

“The program participants, for the most part, are people who have lived in the city for generations and generations,” Brown said. “And why should people who have lived in Middletown for generations be kicked out of the city, or fell like that’s what’s happening?”

Miami University Oxford professor Dennis Sullivan, whose expertise is in poverty, public and urban economics, said he has not heard of any public housing agency attempting to reduce vouchers. Typically, you hear of communities needing more, he said.

Sullivan said Middletown’s attempt to cut 60 percent of its vouchers, or roughly 200 a year for the next five years, is a lot in a relatively short period of time. He questioned where program participants would go if the voucher assistance is cut, but also said he disagreed with concentrating Section 8 vouchers in one area of the county.

“I think it’s a very telling thing that so much of Butler County’s Section 8 housing is sitting in the northeast corner in Middletown,” he said.

John Spring, director for the Greater Cincinnati Coalition for the Homeless, said the city’s proposed cuts would greatly affect those who need help the most.

“Generally, cities are suffering, having hard times economically,” Spring said. “Often times, the people that get blamed are the people at the brunt of the issues, the ones in poverty. (Governments) say if those people just weren’t here, then we’d prosper.

“The people who use Section 8 are likely people who’ve lived there for generations,” he continued. “It’s a question of whether Middletown will take care of its own people. The other question is: What happens when we get rid of affordable housing? It creates homelessness, and not homelessness of people coming into the city, but their own people.”

Section 8 allows people to move out of blighted areas and gives them a hand up and a chance to become productive citizens, Sullivan said.

“People are concerned that Section 8 will be a vector that carries blight like a disease,” Sullivan said. “That doesn’t mean that’s the case.”

Brown said Middletown needs to concentrate on economic development, bringing in new businesses with new jobs, and the city’s 23 percent poverty rate will drop.

“That’s where their time and energy should be,” she said.

This is the third of a three-part series looking at the past, present and future of Section 8 in Middletown.

Continuing the coversation

How this program moves beyond this conflict with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development regarding the future of the city’s Section 8 program will play a role in how the city is shaped in the future. The Journal will continue its in-depth coverage on this program.