FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New City Manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 7:44pm
I doubt that we will lose vouchers, other than by attrition. The steady increase over the last decade was encouraged by city admin, with assistance/approval of city commissions, councils and BOEs/supers. The citizens had no say, asnd it was all quietly done with only council/admin + friends profiting.

Section 8 only played a small part in the city's decline. It only became evident when all of the white collar/ higher-end blue collar jobs left town. Followed progressively by MANY white collar families, mainly due to the steady decline in the local quality of life.

Systematically, many long-time businesses have closed or moved away.
Former downtown area businesses(when they left, the new proprietors noticed the homeless/poor were all that remained), Towne Mall, Target, ALL of the local food retailers who had been around successfully for decades WITHIN the core city(I gave up three formerly successful locations(as demographics changed I converted two to discount formats then sold them to a very sharp operator friend who would gladly give them both back to me if I would take them). The lack of mid to upper level shopping, dining and entertainment options has created a very serious quality of life issue making it hard to move here or remain here. Many are taking the hit on their homes and leaving. Of all who have done so, I have yet to talk to anyone who has regretted leaving.

Mr.Adkins didn't cause this situation immediately, and in many ways has tried to control it. I like the guy and have talked with him a few times. We agree on some things--strongly disagree on others. He pretty much lost me when he fudged the facts on the failed Bank One building swindle, and he can no longer blame anything on his "bosses" though he might be in-debted to the Council that hired him. He has been chosen, so let's give him a chance and hope for the best.

Section 8 voucher holders are hardly to blame. Admin gave them the opportunity, and you can't hold it against them for taking what was offered.

SWO75 mentioned the crime maps(did I give them to you?). As a member of Businesswatch and the Citizens Advisory Board to the Police Dept., I have viewed these for years. Very clear that the crime density co-incides with the heavy Section 8 populated neighborhoods(and Ms.Moon lives in the roughest part!). Those graphs are no surprise and hard to deny the connection, though low-income areas are most likely to fit the profile.

When you make a deal with the devil(as our city has done for a decade), the long-term results are seldom favorable, and next to impossible to change. That is pretty much where I see it now. Hopefully the program will be transferred to Butler and Warren Counties, along with the tied funding. Eventually that should break the local addiction to the devil Fed. It ain't gonna change any time soon imo.

jmo
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 8:08pm
One of Mr.A's key selling points was that he was already in the building, INVOLVED, and up on everything that has happened and is happening(that was a GOOD point?). So--he needs to take over and make things different asap. A few heads need to roll, and a MORE TRANSPARANT DIFFERENT system must replace the same old, which has failed and has to go away. Anything else, and we need to end this quickly and move on to someone else.

Make it work for ALL of us, Doug!

jmo
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 9:06pm
I wasn't going to post again on this issue, but agree with spiderjohn regarding the whipping post called Section 8.

I also thank processor for posting the link associated with the 'finalist' interview. I have stated the reason Mr. Adkins got the job, was he won't have a job with the transfer. Its axiomatic when asked the question about HUD, when Mr. Adkins stated he could not state anything further as HUD asked him not to, and a major press release was forthcoming.
Well, the major press release in associated with the transfer to Hamilton. He won't have a job, did the bidding for Judy Gilleand and city council, and received the city manager position as an outcome of needing a job. Additionally, take Ms. Gilleland's salary, deduct $12,000., and Mr. Adkins new salary, and that's her salary, fee to the UD recruiter, of $12,000., and a $115,000 annual salary. The outcome was pre-determined at least six months ago, if not longer.

One almost has pity on the canddates whom invested their time, but Mr. Adkins does have some advantage, as he had time to research the FBI database, extrapolated crime rate per 1000 per capita, and derived 96 police officers, and need to reduce fire runs, rather; ambulance runs, which is about 84% of the fire department's activities. He obviously did additional homework but extrapolating an average city consumes 60% of the general fund in salary, not 72%. Making this simple in another manner: police/ fire---salary and benefits will be reduced 1% at least. No outside candidate was afforded that insight seat, nor would have invested the time to bring that issue to the one hour interview.

Where Mr. Adkins was wrong in his assessment, was to openly state its the parents responsibility to lead their children down the path of education, and pursuing a career path. His reference was Armco, and the expectation generation of generation had a chance to work in the mill. But, presently, that isn't true. Of course, times change, and both China and India have supplanted jobs, particularly in technology and manufacturing. BUT, that fact does not change nor alter the simple fact, Middletown's economic department and the city leadership have done absolutely nothing, to improve Middletown and bring in business in decades. That led to less residents being able to find jobs, and be guaranteed life time employment, provided at one time, by Armco, and today, typically found only in public sector government and public education. Registered Nurses have been downsized by LPN's, and nursing assistants, technology network administrators, which he described his son, have as much chance losing their job to consolidation in India in a data center.

But, his point was taken, but wrong. It is the city that failed and did not recognize CHANGE, leading to lowered family economics, and not children given poor career advice from their parents, dream big, get an education, and all fails, go work in a steel mill.

Nelson Self and Vivian Moon have discussed it is impossible for vouchers to be down-sized. It simply is not, nor do ward 2 residents have concerns, or they would have communicated them appropriately. As for the wrecking ball, Mr. Adkins stated he favored using funds, to make neighborhoods unique, as opposed to tearing down homes, or remodeling them post foreclosure. Succinctly, the fabled wrecking ball is not his favorite tool. But, Mr. Adkins is wrong, fatally so, in a number of key areas. Firstly, those hanging around Middletown, or those coming in, expect infrastructure to be maintained. It hasn't....for about 35 years. So, using US NSP to build a stone entrance does nothing to attract individuals, when crass is growing 3 ft tall, and the roads are cracked and indeed, in pebbles. Secondly, school quality and rating is paramount. You cannot articulate schools are going to get better, when buyers only care about what they are ranked today. Thirdly, Mr. Adkins talked about code enforcement, and the fact they were so outdated. While they may be 40-50 years out of date, in reality, that is only one minor stream in an ocean of problems Middletown has brought upon itself, that his 2-3 year plan to alter, will do nothing to spur economic development. Candidly, its too late. The ship left the port. Or more succinctly, other city's are miles ahead of Middletown, and crossing the finish line, while the city is trying to stretch the legs into the starting gate.

Middletown is at a tipping point and the greatest fear in cit hall is this. Will the upper crust leave Middletown, and be overtaken by poverty, where no distinction is made between the "wrong side of the tracks" and the "right side". That is the true whipping post of Section 8. It is not vouchers brought in poverty as a magnet, that's untrue; rather, its the failure of the city to adapt to change, resting on past laurels, and insufficiently brought in jobs for residents who lost jobs elsewhere, and simply could not find a sustainable income above minimum wage.

There is absolutely no humanly possible way Mr. Adkins will turn a city that has sat on idle for decades, around in 3 years. But, considering the union issue, he is best equipped, at least on numbers, to face the immediate issue on the percent of the general fund going to salary and benefit. He plans on knocking off at least 12%, and that's the immediate pressing issue. The section 8 situation is taken care of. What more needs to be said. It came directly from Mr. Adkins, 'HUD is going to be making an announcement in the press in the next few weeks." Surely, no one that is objective doesn't know what that announcement will be, nor will the administration of vouchers to be. It won't be Middletown. Enough said.

So The Meadows is coming back, and Middletown, The Comeback Kid, is moving up, reclaiming its position. Is AK Steel moving back, I missed the announcement. I came across the following YELP review from Cincinnati about Stefano's, maybe this is what is limiting foot traffic downtown.

"Stuck close to downtown Middletown, which is a crap hole...but Stefanos is a nice, classy place to eat excellent Italian food. They have a nice bar as well."

One assumes they weren't aware of the re-imaging and all "turning the corner" taking place.

sj, said it right. Quality of life is what drove and is driving people out of Middletown, and down-grading of amenities for roads, landscaping, parks, and police/ fire. Vouchers were an outcome, not the cause. A city that has 3,000 properties sitting around, without new influx, is in a cycle of ruin, and danger.     

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 7:34am

Posted: 7:00 a.m. Wednesday, May 28, 2014

New city manager ‘knows all of the problems’

By Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

Several community business leaders saluted City Council for offering the new city manager job to Doug Adkins, director of community revitalization for the city since 2009.

Last week, after reviewing emails among city council members, the Journal-News learned Adkins was offered and accepted the position to replace the retiring Judy Gilleland early next month. But on Tuesday, nearly a week after the offer, no contract has been signed, said Noah Powers, director of human resources. Last week, Mayor Lawrence Mulligan Jr. also cautioned against an announcement since there was no signed contract.

Adkins, who has no city manager experience, will be paid $115,000 a year, $12,000 less than Gilleland earns, according to a draft of the employment agreement.

On May 17, Adkins, along with the four other finalists — Les Landen, the city’s law director, and three external candidates, Cathy Davison, former city manager in Steubenville, Ohio; Willie Norfleet Jr., city manager in Socorro, Texas; and Jane Howington, city manager in Newport, R.I. — toured the city, met with city officials, then went through several hours of interviews with city staff, business leaders and Middletown residents.

Downtown activist Adriane Scherrer, who attended all of the one-hour interviews with the candidates in Council Chambers, said she supported Howington as the next city manager. Council members have said Howington was their second choice. But after hearing Adkins’ presentation, Scherrer said she realized he would be selected.

“We took advantage of knowing the city,” Scherrer said. “He knew the answers to all the questions. He was slick. He talked without taking a breath, and after that I knew we were doomed to have him.”

Like all politicians, she said, Adkins’ success will be more dependant on what he does, than what he says. When asked about HUD, Adkins said he was directed by the city’s lawyers not to address the subject because of pending litigation. Once that announcement was made, Scherrer said, that “ended any possible negative questions.”

Then she added: “Based on what he said, I’m totally in support of him. We will see what happens.”

At his presentation, Adkins said the city needs to reduce its crime by being pro-active. He even suggested placing dead-bolt locks on every home in the city. Scherrer said with the current heroin epidemic in the city, now is not the time to reduce the number of police officers.

Cris Kelly, president of the FOP Local 36, said he worked with Adkins when he served as the city’s prosecutor. He believes Adkins is “pro-police” and he hopes police staffing remains at “safe levels.”

Middletown landlord Dan Tracy, who has filed a lawsuit against Adkins and the city over the handling of Section 8, hesitated when asked about Adkins. He wasn’t sure how much he should comment.

Then he said: “I want him to do the right thing, what is fair and look at it as business, not personal.”

Before Adkins spoke during the interview, Tracy moved down to the front row. What did he think of Adkins’ presentation?

“He was excellent,” Tracy said. “He tells you what you want to hear and he tells you well.”

Rick Pearce, president of the Chamber of Commerce serving Middletown, Monroe and Trenton, said he looks forward to working with Adkins because of his “energy and drive.”

Jay Moorman, owner of Beau Verre Riordan Stained Glass Studios in downtown, said he has worked with Adkins on several downtown projects and he “never let me down.”

He thought Adkins was the right choice because he has worked in the city since 2005, so his transition to city manager should be smooth and quick.

“It won’t take much time for him to get acclimated to the city,” Moorman said. “He knows all the problems.”

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 9:30am
SJ and Acclaro: You both make excellent and note worthy points. I guess I'm the only one stuck on his ease of telling lies and half truths and "spins". He's been caught several times at council meetings. The ease with which he lies is quite disturbing to me. Do you think he has the ability to change it? I hope so. I just find it hard to except the very ones he lied to are now singing his praises . Maybe I'm the one with the problem but I wasn't raised that way and I didn't raise my kids that way. Truth and integrity and honor trump everything else in my book.IMO
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 9:33am
wow--we all know all of the problems--everyone in the area knows all of our problems(they are on tv news most evenings). Tell us how you are going to fix the problems, Mr.A, since you are so familiar with them and "ready to go"!
Deadbolt locks??? Come on......

OK--you are the man--we are with you
Change things--make it happen!

excellent job by acclaro explaining what I was struggling to explain in part
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 9:37am
Is he covered in teflon? He boasts how the city can reduce the vouchers and how he can defeat HUD.  We obviously now know we cannot beat HUD.  How does he come out of this with a promotion?
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 9:54am
He threw Judy under the bus many times during his interview.  "I work for Judy, I do what she says as long as its legal and ethical."

He calls the east end the best prospects for development, but he talked a lot about zoning being 50 years old and outdated and hampering economic development.  YET, this is the area that MK and the planning commission has spent the most time on in terms of zoning and rezoning in anticipation of future development.   

One point I do agree with him on - the Towne Mall is not viable.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 10:13am
Mr. Adkins is without a doubt, the best candidate to address Middletown's problems. It is not based upon his experience as a city manager, as he has none, but his knowledge of Middletown's problems. What I did like in particular, was he was open about what he disagreed with others upon. This included his view The Towne Mall was doomed. I agree. The Mayor has been a little more supportive, but as processor or others have stated, there is just far superior retail concentration in Monroe and elsewhere, making that location particularly unattractive.

Mr. Adkins also indicated the east end was the bread and butter. I still don't think that area will ever be a superior success, mainly attributed to such a large concentration of non-profits. Yes, Casper and Casper are there, but relocated from downtown, no net gain. The Renaissance brands itself with Franklin and Lebanon schools, not Middletown, and the annexation has left lingering ill will.

Also, he made it clear he plans to negotiate salaries and benefits down, and had data as a good staring point. I think fire will bear the brunt of cuts, and don't disagree with that tactic. Mr. Adkins also knows the police and fire department leaders, and as a former prosecutor, cannot be taken as anti-police, anti-fire. That will be a benefit and give leverage during negotiation.

A city manager, other than an innovator, has to hit the ground running, to address the union bargaining issues. Any of the four would have had difficulty, just making a normal transition to Middletown. Mr. Adkins will be sprinting to negotiate salaries/ benefits, which others were disadvantaged, at no fault of their own; they obviously were not working in Middletown.

I can't comment on Mr. Adkins truthfulness, or lack thereof, as I have no knowledge one way or another. In a slight defense on Bank One, and others, my take is the city wanted to purge all or most of its holdings by July 1, so there was no baggage associated with golf courses, and investment in assets, that cut into labor talks. On that issue, I believe he took his cue from council and JG. 

Look at Stockdale, California. 35% FORECLOSURES, and 20 minutes from San Fran, with housing .% on the Bay area. It crashed because of debt, and lack of funds to pay for police and fire. Middletown has nearly 50% of housing stock tied up in section 8. To their credit, far more time by council behind the scenes, has been convincing business and residents to avoid leaving. Its a retention policy, not attraction policies, that have been driving Donham the past 6 years.     
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 10:23am
Maybe there were more problems with Judy than we the public were aware of. You know she can "spin" with the best of them and she does often. Just like the bank one deal when she said I think it would be in the best interest of all to have the building appraised. She decided that after they were caught then she "spun" it to make it sound like they were ok with it.IMO
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 11:06am
With apologies for forgetting this point in my last post, Mr. Adkins talked about "supply and demand."

I agree with economic principles. Where I differ greatly, with Mr. Adkins and the city, is that Middletown has done poorly, on reducing supply (section 8 numbers, and housing stock), which drive up demand. Demand includes businesses, residents, upper income earners, professionals.

By expanding the description of Middletown to be 54% poverty throughout the area, money gotten from HUD to be used to increase or at least, stabilize markets and valuation, has had no impact. The city buying property (commercial), has actually had adverse effect: it lowered commercial property valuation, not increased it.

It is the DEMAND side of the micro-economic equation, which needs a solution. Far too much time and $$$, has been spent on supply. Unfortunately, on the supply side, the city is overcome by too SUPPLY, with no demand. That leads to the fire sales, and in spite of everyone at city hall talks about what a good value can be found in Middletown, the market takes that to mean, a yard or liquidation sale. Buyers in that market want nothing but a BARGAIN. That's what they are finding.       

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 11:34am
Comments realted to the "New City Manager Knows All The Problems article....specifically Adriane Scherrer's comments.

“We (HE?) took advantage of knowing the city,” Scherrer said. “He knew the answers to all the questions. He was slick. He talked without taking a breath, and after that I knew we were doomed (destined ?) to have him.”

"WE WERE DOOMED (DESTINED?) TO HAVE HIM"? SOUNDS A BIT LIKE A SHOT AT ADKINS WITH THE ARTICLE WORDING, RIGHT.

THEN, LATER IN THE ARTICLE.......SCHERRER AGAIN.....

“Based on what he said, I’m totally in support of him. We will see what happens.”

LOOKS TO ME LIKE SCHERRER CHANGED HER STRIPES IN A MATTER OF MINUTES HERE. WHICH IS IT? ARE WE DOOMED OR DO YOU SUPPORT HIM?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 12:00pm
Ok, we need someone to play the bad guy in black while some on here play the guys in white.....

I am reading some support, some praise and some faith in some of these comments regarding Adkins and the job some think he will do, with supporting reasons included.

Acclaro mentions that he thought Adkins was the best choice when I believe an earlier post suggested that Howington was the logical choice. I also see where the 54% town poverty number is mentioned. That was declared by Adkins, if I recall, with Adkins being a part of the group that sent the town's downward spiral toward that 54% figure. Didn't he, with some help, create the newly grown ghetto portions of this city?

Now, as I read some of these comments, some have mellowed out with regard to Adkins, and some are more than willing to "give him a chance" when we all can look over the past posts on this individual and we can all come to the conclusion that this is a man not to be trusted, a man who has been caught in lies, a man who has placed the city in a legal compromise at times and a man who has decided to exclude the people while playing dictator as to the decisions made for the future. Did we somehow forget what he has done in the past?

I will still hold firm and claim that I don't like what the man has done in his job capacity with the city. He is another brick in the wall of town ruiners and needs to be driven out of the city, not put in control of it. In this case and insider is harmful. An outsider, void of influence and has yet to be infected by the "drag the town down fever" would be advantageous IMO. Adkins was infected long ago.

A comment about "time will tell" was made. IMO, he has already demonstrated his mode of operation and it is not the type of thinking that will aid in helping us come close to recovery.

I will watch during his tenure as city manager (that is, if a contract is signed) and, I'm betting, he will only add to the misery here in the end. Director position or city manager position, Adkins will do his damage regardless of his position on the totem pole. Moving the snake will not cause it to lose it's venom nor change it's personality. Eliminating the snake will remove the threat.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 12:05pm
I hate to get back on the section 8 "whipping post" but I will. Spider John and Acclaro made some great points and I'd like to follow up with some of my thoughts.

There is little doubt in my mind that the root cause of the section 8 issue is a lack of demand for housing in Middletown caused by all of the issues that have been discussed in this forum; few amenities, poor infrastructure, few jobs, etc... If we could wave a magic wand and create 5,000 decent paying jobs in Middletown, nearly all of these issues would disappear. However, the more Middletown sinks into the poverty abyss the more difficult it will be to attract any decent company who could provide these jobs. In addition the more we turn into a high poverty area the more people will flee Middletown thus making the situation worse. Plus many of the remaining "mover and shakers" in Middletown are in the 70's and 80's and won't be around to support the area much longer.

Given that continuing the path to increased poverty in Middletown will make any chance of turning Middletown around much more difficult, the only chance I see is to do what it takes to change our demographics by decreasing section 8. This only sets the stage for economic growth though. The city must get more aggressive in courting companies to move to Middletown. Whether they are up to the task remains to be seen.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 12:12pm
Gentlemen
I believe we already know what type of person Mr. Adkins really is...I do not need to know anything more.
My research has proven to me he has some serious ethical problems that I'm not willing to overlook. 
I'm sorry  I don't buy the "devil made me do defense".
I believe he's the wrong man for the job of City Manager.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 12:33pm
processor, I agree with the tempered approach and recognition about Middletown. It is better to stop the bleeding by 'movers and shakers', and stabilize retention of higher income earners, than let them flee.

I agree the voucher numbers are too high, and also agree it was added carelessly, and without much indication or discussion by previous leaders, current leaders, and city council.

I believe the termination of the contract term will take care of the issue, and am convinced, Hamilton, and other cities will recognize the imbalance Middletown has in such receipt. 10% is egregiously too high. Most would agree with that.

My support for Ms. Howington was on paper. Mr. Adkins demonstrated he has a plan, or supports, reducing overhead associated with salary/ benefits, and made no mention of raising taxes. H e positively made reference codes and a business unfriendly town made for a loss of business prospects. He referenced an education, or trade, where one differentiates capabilities, leads to success, and used Cincinnati State and its programs, as an example. That is all true, and accurately leads to a better and stable existence for those that pursue it.

It isn't an easy position for anyone.  Most are on edge the shoe if ready to fall, and rapidly. He was offered the job, and probably is making his agreement iron clad. It serves no benefit to speaking about 'could of, would of, should of.'  He was given the position, now has to deliver.         
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 1:18pm
I suggest that MUSA participants take a good, hard, unbiased look at the Community Revitalization Department's policies, plans, program activities and outcomes from March 2009 to the present.

Mr. Adkins has had many HUD dollars at his disposal during this time frame. What results occurred via the usage of these CDBG, HOME, NSP and Supplemental program monies? How many private dollars were leveraged through this process? Were individual project activities well thought out while being cost conscious?

During Mr. Adkins tenure, are former downtown and nearby Wards 2 and Ward 1 neighborhoods better, or at least stabilized. What does a market analysis of Ward 3 and Ward 4 neighborhoods tell us about the status of property values, overall marketability and property maintenance?

Mr. Adkins five year results with the Community Revitalization Department cause me serious concerns about the coming years. The facts tell a story of missed opportunities, lack of strategic planning, etc.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 1:59pm
But Perplexed, The devil (Judy) made him do it. LOL
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 4:44pm
[QUOTE=VietVet]Ok, we need someone to play the bad guy in black while some on here play the guys in white.....

I am reading some support, some praise and some faith in some of these comments regarding Adkins and the job some think he will do, with supporting reasons included.

Acclaro mentions that he thought Adkins was the best choice when I believe an earlier post suggested that Howington was the logical choice. I also see where the 54% town poverty number is mentioned. That was declared by Adkins, if I recall, with Adkins being a part of the group that sent the town's downward spiral toward that 54% figure. Didn't he, with some help, create the newly grown ghetto portions of this city?

Doug Adkins will be a fine city manager. He knows facts, law, and business. His presentation was a masterpiece, like watching a skilled lawyer giving closing arguments. Polished, crisp, assertive, firm.

Viet Vet, he declared 54% poverty because Middletown is at least that number below poverty. Think he made it up or something. Give him a chance, he will excel. A few of us are concerned he'll have another offer in 30 days. Slumlords fear him. That isn't so bad is it. And Viet Vet, you agreed vouchers should be reduced  by 1,000. He did what you asked.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 5:17pm
well Factguy Check your facts He did not reduce the vouchers.
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 5:34pm
He made a great effort to reduce them in a gradually declining process. He attacked the problem head-on, and brought attention to this problem before it became worse.

No doubt anyone who saw the interviews would rate Doug Adkins number 1, Howington 2, Steubenville 3, Texas 4, and the city attorney 5. Anyone disagree?

You people here are middletownusa always see the glass half empty, instead of half full. It will be those of us that see it half full that turn the city around.

The school levy passed, The Meadows is opening. A Dollar General is taking the place of Dillman's. What can't you see that progress is being made Debbie Downers.

Doug Adkins is our best hope to turn the city around. He should get a 10 year contract!

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 5:42pm
If he's our best hope,God help us.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 5:48pm
Making (great effort) didn't make it happen though did it.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 8:33pm
come on, fact guy....
your examples of progress are somewhat weak, and were accomplished without any input from city admin, and in some occasions by moving around and in spite of city admin. Admin did not help the levy get passed outside of allowing early and illegal placement of campaign signage. I doubt that they had any input in the Meadows transfer, and I know definitely that they had nothing to do with the Dillman sale to a property group that will lease to Dollar General(which will close the DG location on N University--poassibly the next vacant center within 18 months).

That being said, I honestly like Mr.A and absolutely hope that he can change the attitude of top level city management, Council and the perception of the city. I was behind him until he openly lied about the potential Bank One building sale. He is going to have to explain his actions there to me personally before he has my trust again. But I believe that he wants to improve the city, and lord knows that he has seen and heard enough slime from within. As Marvin Zindler would say, "there is slime in the ice machine in Middletown Ohio!".

Blame musa all that you like--that is convenient scapegoating and somewhat delusional. Most of this city's problems were accelerated by the interior of Donham Abbey. You might give too much emphasis on this excellent and informative honest and open forum.

Everyone here does not think the same, any more than they do in the ivory tower and throne room. However EVERYONE here and hopefully there wants a better Middletown. We might differ on the method and cast of characters, not to mention priorities.

Talk is cheap--from wherever it comes, unless it is followed up with constructive action.

Has the housing demo plan been successful? Maybe too early to tell. We once had a Commission that thought by de-constructing the downtown enclosed mall, that the area issue was solved. Couldn't have been farther from the truth. Same group eliminated continuing infrastructure funding to band-aid city wage bennie contracts. Couldn't have been farther from the truth. What we saw as the youngest successful commission proved to be very destructive long term.

Take all of the shots that you want towards the regulars here. Pretty easy, isn't it? Does it make you smarter or different from those you chastise? I say not. I see more honesty and openness here than in our city building sadly.

Once again--I hope that Doug Adkins is our answer.
But he has to show me, and quickly.
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 10:41pm
Doug Adkins did a report that showed the depth of asphalt per lane mile in Middletown. It showed it would cost about $110,000,000 to do all of Middletown. He is on top of all issues in the city and his game.

HUD wanted to give the city 5500 vouchers, but he refused. As for Bank One, he was told by Ms. Gilleland the building wasn't for sale, and told everyone that he would present all options to council to decide what to do. What did he get for that? Everyone saying he lied. All he did was his job, legally, and ethically, or be fired with a mortgage to pay. His marching orders came from the city manager.

What does he have to do, bring in Costco, Toyota, or Caterpillar in 6 months, or he is out? What is the answer.

I did not see Shawn Donovan's name for a candidate. So, you must wanted David Kelly..  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic