Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, April 25, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Santa Claus parade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 2:48pm
The Santa Parade is one good thing. The Canal Street bar, Murphy's Landing, the BBQ place on Central. Granted all are relatively small, but they are a start.

My point was that instead of celebrating MiddieMom's fun experience at the parade and her excitement about the Yoga studio, many on this forum, jumped on her and told her that Middletown stinks. That downtown is not making a comeback. That she's crazy for even thinking of it and for having fun. Come on, anyone can find fault.

Acclaro...No one said Middletown is Indian Hill, or Wyoming, or Montgomery, or Mason, or West Chester. No one said Middletown has turned the corner...it hasn't...but the bile and unconstructive criticism on this forum just gets old.

MiddieMom had fun at a parade in downtown Middletown, is excited about a Yoga studio, and feels that downtown is starting to come back around and people on this forum couldn't be happy for her. They had to tell her that she's wrong.

My goodness. Attitude affects behavior which affects outcome.
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 3:14pm
If middiemom had simply commended the parade then that is fine. But her post definitely smelled of one of the downtown backers who are pushing an agenda. Saying how many good things are going on down there without mentioning the multiple failings and the treadmill pace of progress is in effect promoting the groundless feel-good hope and change that the downtown crowd wants to sell everyone. And the problem with that is it leads to muzzled voices and little criticism the next time an idea comes out of Donham Abbey (to borrow acclaro's phrase) or the Main St crowd. These decisions have been made with far too much fluff, hope, and desperation than anything resembling data or a business plan.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 3:30pm
Well stated.

This is spin and buzz....which is lacking in substance and support.

Unfortunately reality doesn't yet, reflect whimsical dreams.

Clifton and Manfield are to Middletown, as Upper Arlington is to Hyde Park.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 5:30pm
The real problem is Middletown city leaders and the Main Street crowd blame the musa site for stifling the propaganda all the problems with the reputation of the city is caused by individuals, the wrong type of people, negative minded residents, instead of the city leadership neglecting fundamental services and spending cash for its management faster than it came in.
It doesn't make the pig prettier by applying lipstick, the make-over,  and  the new and improved town, is on display. 
Any truth Joe Mulligan and Dan Picard got Thorn Hill Lane paved by the city before Joe bought his $275,000 residential house on the street. Physician friend said it was. Not sure.     
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by processor processor wrote:

The Santa Parade is one good thing. The Canal Street bar, Murphy's Landing, the BBQ place on Central. Granted all are relatively small, but they are a start.

My point was that instead of celebrating MiddieMom's fun experience at the parade and her excitement about the Yoga studio, many on this forum, jumped on her and told her that Middletown stinks. That downtown is not making a comeback. That she's crazy for even thinking of it and for having fun. Come on, anyone can find fault.

Acclaro...No one said Middletown is Indian Hill, or Wyoming, or Montgomery, or Mason, or West Chester. No one said Middletown has turned the corner...it hasn't...but the bile and unconstructive criticism on this forum just gets old.

MiddieMom had fun at a parade in downtown Middletown, is excited about a Yoga studio, and feels that downtown is starting to come back around and people on this forum couldn't be happy for her. They had to tell her that she's wrong.

My goodness. Attitude affects behavior which affects outcome.

Likewise processor, it is equally difficult to sit here and read a post from a person who sees a town condition that, at best, is not even close to reality as to success. Why do you, middiemom and others who support the current gameplan not see the failure rate, the promises that never come to fruition, the constent rhetoric of embellishment on future plans while ignoring the facts that most of the group of people that you support have a very high failure rate that has been documented? I don't understand the thinking coming from your side of the fence. Denial of what has happened, denial of actual historical facts and denial of the poor condition of this city have taken the place of real world activity. The city is NOT in as good as shape overall as you would have us believe. Pray tell, why do you and middiemom see only what you perceive to be good and hide your heads in the sand from all the bad that has happened? Not logical and only fooling yourselves. It is like talking to Ms. Andrew and the school people. With years of low performance data in front of their nose, they still believe that there is measurable improvement, enough to make them to fantasize that the schools are actually successful to the extent that they would have the public believe. It is incredible what the supporters of this city leadership and schools will believe. It is NOT what they say it is. Embellishment is an easy method to identify as being nonsense. Just compare it to what is really there.

You say anyone can find fault. Likewise, anyone can pretend that bad is good as is the case with those who choose fantasy over reality.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 6:30pm
I would mention if Middletown was experiencing such a great comback, the Dickerson's would have had one of their two sons or daughter become successors in the distributor. The young adults want nothing to do with Middletown. Other private second-third generation companies moving in same direction. Selling. Not passing on to dis-interested legacies. 

middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 8:56pm
Okay Vet, you're right. No one should try. Everyone should just be grumpy, negative and critique those who try. It's a lost cause you're right. You people have never been happy, nor will you  be, about any positive news. You criticize people for starting businesses, you criticize people for ideas, you criticize the new landscaping, even one stating that you have to drive x amount of feet to find out you're in Middletown. I guess the exit signs for miles just say exit 32 for miles both north and southbound on I-75 with no mention of Middletown. You b!tch about not having a gas station off the exit then when Lenny procures one you tell us to not get excited about it. Everytime you people post you prove my point. You post rumors as if they are true and everyone buys into it.  Spider you and Mr. Presta have credibility because you have put your money where your mouth is. The rest of you..........

P.s. Spot on processor!Clap
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 9:38pm
Middlemom, you must  enjoy the reverse psychology of using negative feedback to blast those that express rage associated with the collapse of Middletown. You should be far more outraged over the waste of taxpayer funds, on salaries and using street funds, that have led to an utter disgrace and soiled reputation of the city. If you can't figure that out, or chose to ignore, its your problem alone.

My statement about the big M off the exit was an objective, educated statement about branding. If you recall, Middletown at one time, contemplated renting truck carriers to promote Middletown, either by placing them near the highway, or driving tractor trailers up and down the highway. Middletown is a city of parity, not break away. There isn't anything distinguishable about Middletown's exit from any other lining 75. As for Lenny R., great he sold his property he listed.

Not sure about rumors, but the facts are fairly overwhelming what has transpired over the years, and where the blame lies.  Lets hope someone puts up the capital for a Graeters in downtown, and a pilate studio. I'd dig that instead of driving to West Chester.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2014 at 6:31am
middiemom:

Okay Vet, you're right. No one should try

EVERYONE WHO IS IN A DEVELOPMENT POSITION SHOULD TRY. BUT FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD, DON'T KEEP TRYING THE SAME OLD FAILED THINGS OVER AND OVER AGAIN. THE CITY PLANNERS KEEP RE-INVENTING THE WHEEL AND LEARN NOTHING FROM PAST MISTAKES. TRY NEW CONCEPTS AND DISCARD THE OLD ONES. EVERYONE WANTS TO SEE THE TOWN PROSPER LADY. SOME JUST REALIZE THAT THE CURRENT GAMEPLAN HASN'T AND ISN'T WORKING NOW. WRONG DIRECTION FOR THE DEMOGRAPHICS OF THIS CITY.

middiemom:

Everyone should just be grumpy, negative and critique those who try. It's a lost cause you're right

THERE YOU GO AGAIN WITH THE OLD GRUMPY NEGATIVE THEME. THESE FEELING ARE BORNE OUT OF FRUSTRATION WITH IDEAS FOR THIS CITY THAT HAVE BEEN TIME-PROVEN AS FAILURES. THE PEOPLE THAT YOU ARE SUPPORTING SHOULD REALIZE THAT WHAT THEY ARE DOING IS NOT WORKING AND MOVE ON TO NEW IDEAS. THE HORSE YOU ALL ARE RIDING NOW HAS BEEN BEATEN TO DEATH AND WON'T FINISH THE RACE. GET A NEW HORSE THAT IS MORE SUITED TO THE TRACK.

middiemom:

You people have never been happy, nor will you be, about any positive news. You criticize people for starting businesses, you criticize people for ideas......

FOR THE PAST 30 + YEARS, THE PEOPLE RUNNING THIS CITY HAVE GIVEN US NOTHING TO BE HAPPY ABOUT. MERCY, OPEN YOUR EYES AND LOOK AT WHERE WE WERE 30-40 YEARS AGO AND WHERE WE ARE NOW. THE CITY IS A SHADOW OF ITSELF NOW AND HAS BEEN TRASHED. THAT IS A FACT. ALOT OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE LIVED HERE SINCE THE 50'S WILL VOUCH FOR THAT.

middiemom:

you criticize the new landscaping, even one stating that you have to drive x amount of feet to find out you're in Middletown. I guess the exit signs for miles just say exit 32 for miles both north and southbound on I-75 with no mention of Middletown. You b!tch about not having a gas station off the exit then when Lenny procures one you tell us to not get excited about it.

NOPE, WASN'T ME WHO CRITICIZED THE ENTRYWAY AND GAS STATION IDEA. BUT, WHILE WE'RE ON THE SUBJECT, I WILL MAKE SOME COMMENTS. AS YOU DRIVE UP AND DOWN I-75, IN EITHER DIRECTION, ALL OF THE ENTRYWAYS FROM MONROE DOWN TO CINCY AND FROM FRANKLIN'S 123 EXIT TO AUSTIN PIKE'S EXIT, ARE DEVELOPED AND MIDDLETOWN IS THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS THAT DESERTED, DESOLATE LOOK TO IT? IT IS A FACT THAT THE AUSTIN PIKE EXIT WAS BUILT FROM SCRATCH AND THE DEVELOPMENT AROUND THIS EXIT HAS GROWN ALMOST OVERNIGHT IN A VERY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. I PASS IT TO AND FROM WORK EVERYDAY SO I KNOW THIS TO BE A FACT. ALL THE WHILE, MIDDLETOWN'S EXIT, WHICH WAS CONSTRUCTED IN 1958 WHEN I-75 OPENED (I WAS THERE FOR THAT TOO)HAS SAT IDLE WITH NO ACTIVITY....NOT EVEN LANDSCAPING. THE PLANNERS AT AUSTIN PIKE HAD THEIR ACT TOGETHER AND THE MIDDLETOWN CITY LEADERS HAD NO CLUE WHAT TO DO, HOW TO DO IT........THAT, IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF WHAT IS HAPPENING IN MIDDLETOWN. ALWAYS A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT ON ANYTHING THEY ATTEMPT AND THAT IS WHAT ANGERS SO MANY INCLUDING ME. INEPTNESS IS RUNNING RAMPANT IN THE CITY OF MIDDLETOWN THESE DAYS.

middiemom:

Everytime you people post you prove my point. You post rumors as if they are true and everyone buys into it.

SOME POSTS HERE MAY BE RUMORS BUT A LARGE PORTION HAVE DATA TO SUPPORT THE STATEMENTS. WE HAVE A FEW GOOD RESEARCHERS THAT POST HERE THAT ARE EXCELLENT AT PROVIDING ACCOMPANYING DATA.

middiemom:

Spider you and Mr. Presta have credibility because you have put your money where your mouth is. The rest of you..........

BETTER ASK THEM. BOTH HAVE BEEN ANGERED BY THE ACTIVITY IN THIS TOWN THAT HAS ANGERED ALL OF US AT TIMES. WE ALL HAVE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF CREDIBILITY, THE AMOUNT DETERMINED IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER. SPIDER AND MIKE AREN'T THE ONLY ONES HERE THAT PUT THEIR MONEY WHERE THEIR MOUTHS ARE. MANY SPEAK WITH EXPERINCE AND HAVE ACTUALLY LIVED IN THIS TOWN IN GOOD TIMES. THEY ARE CREDIDIBLE BECAUSE THEY HAVE A BASIS FOR COMPARISON WITH THE CURRENT CONDITION OF THE CITY. THEY CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCES AND CAN FORMULATE AN ACCURATE OPINION BASED ON LOGIC, COMPARISONS AND ACTUAL FACTS.

YOU AND PROCESSOR ENJOY THE SHOW, DRINK THE KOOL-AID, BELIEVE THE CITY MESSAGE AND KEEP SUPPORTING THE CURRENT DIRECTION, AND, PERHAPS, SOMEDAY, YOU'LL SEE THE LIGHT AS TO WHAT IS ACTUALLY OCCURING HERE. THEY'RE RUNNING A GAME ON YOU BUT YOU DON'T REALIZE IT AS YET.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2014 at 9:20am
look at what u started middiemom
u went there, patronized and enjoyed yourself---
how could you? lol
u should have been at the middies' benefit scrimmage to see the girl jump-ropers

I admit to stopping by the brew pub last night
sparse, though beau verre was rocking with a wood carver
royal blues at music club tonight
blue Christmas next sunday

vet is a good guy
he is entitled to his opinion without insults also
contrary to admin/boa opinion--everyone on this site does not think alike on every matter

and we are blessed with the return of mtown29 to brighten our vision!

happy holidaze!
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2014 at 9:43am
My goodness. Such vitriol. All the lady said was that she enjoyed the parade and was looking forward to a yoga studio. All I said was that we should be able to help her celebrate her good time and excitement without bringing up what sorry shape the city is in. You all just demonstrated my point.
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2014 at 11:51am
All I did is post my feelings about the Santa Claus parade and look what you people turned this into!!!! You highjacked this thread and turned something VERY positive into rantings and ravings of councils past and present. Your every post proves my point. None of you could have said "that's nice" or "sounds fun. I'll try and make it next year".Someone says something positive and here out of the woodworks come people wagging their fingers screaming "yeah but". I'm sure you are all good people but my goodness the anger and negativism are drowning. You complain about the exit off I 75 being desolate. I reply that the gas station and new eatery are a good step. You post Lenny sold his land. Good for him. It's unbelieveable. Someone even posted something about Marcia Andrew on this thread!!!!!!!! What the H does she have to do with the Santa Claus parade??????Confused Nothing will happen with a snap of a finger and become a utopia. It takes baby steps in some cases. It takes no work at all to be negative. Being negative is easy. It takes work to be happy and optimistic. Spider I'll be at the Blues Christmas as well. Because I, as you, support local benefits and activities in this soon to be great again city. It's Christmas time people. Please for yourselves and your own health find something to be thankful for. No matter how much work it takes believe me it is worth it.  

P.s. I don't drink Kool Aid. I prefer a nice Cabernet.Smile
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2014 at 12:03pm
Your post wasn't about a good time. It was a billboard advertisement about yoga in a building with broken glass, mold, an empty shell, and applauding a 135,000 retired city manager for being in attendance.

False narrative mom.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2014 at 12:49pm
Hope the building is ok, because my wife is excited about the yoga classes and plans to attend
In the spirit. It wouldn't hurt anything if we tried to understand the reasoning behind each other's thinking and appreciated the good intentions of everyone here.
Hoping and working for better will never be a bad thing. Neither will cutting through the bs and pointing out realities.
Balance is healthy and necessary.

I appreciate this site and its opinions and information, + I already received a phone call from a high-up about what I said in this heading prior.
Trust me-- most DO read this site.

Musa holiday meet/greet party at the brew pub?
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2014 at 1:49pm
See? Me and my girlfriends being excited about something is a billboard advertisement. Are you going to rip sj because his wife is excited also? Why do you have to interject what Judy made? What difference does it make? I was simply stating it was nice to see her still showing support.  Also I would think/hope that they would fix the windows in the old journal building. It would make it awful hard to have hot yoga classes in the winter!!!!!LOL

Also, I'm sure someone on here can enlighten me as to what the structure being erected  in the Towne Mall Galleria's parking lot is going to be. Thanks!!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2014 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by middiemom middiemom wrote:

Also, I'm sure someone on here can enlighten me as to what the structure being erected  in the Towne Mall Galleria's parking lot is going to be. Thanks!!
I could...but it was told to me in confidence.  I'm sure that one of your pals at city hall would be happy to spill the beans, though.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2014 at 1:06am
MiddieMom: unless things have changed, it has been reported several times that the Cincinnati Bell building would be demolished, and a mattress factory outlet store would be built.   just 1 chmoore.
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2014 at 11:25am
^Are you talking about downtown or the former Cincy Bell store at the mall next to the KFC?

The latter seems like it would be a likely case. MattressFirm recently has had an aggressive growth strategy. They have two locations at Dayton Mall within spitting distance of one another and they demolished a former Wendy's in Huber Heights at 202 and I-70 to build a store.
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2014 at 11:33am

We went to the Santa Claus parade downtown this past Saturday and I must sayClap to the organizers. Another job well done! It was nice to see all the people who showed up. Of course there were some less than desirables but it was easy for us to maintain a safe distance from them. The weather was nice and we even snuck some red wine in thermoses to keep warm Embarrassed. It was nice to see all of the particiants in the parade grow from year to year. I also want to say kudos to Judy Gileand. It was nice to see you there still being involved in city functions despite all of the nay-sayers. Downtown is making a comeback! My girlfriends and I cannot wait to go to the new hot yoga classes at the old journal building (then sneak next door for a refreshmentWink)! Again kudos!!! 

Glad to hear it!

Some good steps are being made towards a diverse, progressive, and desirable Middletown. It's not going to come fast, but step by step it'll get there if those in power are careful. 

I disagree with 99+% of posters on here that think downtown developments are a waste of time/money. I don't think anything could be further from the truth. Middletown needs to embrace what it is and build on it, not destroy it in the opes that it'll become some kind of "suburban wonderland" overnight after plowing down every building in town.One city is already trying that method locally - it's called Springfield. Ever hear about them doing well? I didn't think so. 

But Middletown has major quality of life issues with pollution. No one wants to live, work, or play in a toxic environment. So until Middletown addresses that, I don't think it'll be going anywhere unless it just wants to go full industrial, buy out its citizens, bulldoze their houses, and become a full-out industrial zone. But I don't think anyone in Middletown wants this alternative to happen. So let's start supporting what's happening down and throughout the city to make it a better place. We all know no one else will until we draw them in. 
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2014 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Trotwood Trotwood wrote:

We went to the Santa Claus parade downtown this past Saturday and I must sayClap to the organizers. Another job well done! It was nice to see all the people who showed up. Of course there were some less than desirables but it was easy for us to maintain a safe distance from them. The weather was nice and we even snuck some red wine in thermoses to keep warm Embarrassed. It was nice to see all of the particiants in the parade grow from year to year. I also want to say kudos to Judy Gileand. It was nice to see you there still being involved in city functions despite all of the nay-sayers. Downtown is making a comeback! My girlfriends and I cannot wait to go to the new hot yoga classes at the old journal building (then sneak next door for a refreshmentWink)! Again kudos!!! 

Glad to hear it!

Some good steps are being made towards a diverse, progressive, and desirable Middletown. It's not going to come fast, but step by step it'll get there if those in power are careful. 

I disagree with 99+% of posters on here that think downtown developments are a waste of time/money. I don't think anything could be further from the truth. Middletown needs to embrace what it is and build on it, not destroy it in the hopes that it'll become some kind of "suburban wonderland" overnight after plowing down every building in town.One city is already trying that method locally - Springfield. Ever hear about them doing well? I didn't think so. 

But Middletown has major quality of life issues with pollution. No one wants to live, work, or play in a toxic environment. So until Middletown addresses that, I don't think it'll be going anywhere unless it just wants to go full industrial.This would include buying out its citizens, bulldoze their houses, and becoming a full-out industrial zone. But I don't think anyone in Middletown wants that alternative to happen. So let's start supporting what's happening down and throughout the city to make it a better place. We all know no one else will until we draw them in. 

Apologies for the grammatical errors in the previous post. In bold are my corrections.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2014 at 8:26am
Trotwood:

"It's not going to come fast, but step by step it'll get there if those in power are careful."

Not going to come fast. You can say that again Trotwood. In the mid 60's, the downtown was thriving even though downtown stores where slowly migrating to the new Middletown Shopping Center on Breiel, built in 1958. Downtown slowly became a deserted part of the city with the infamous revival attempt, City Centre Mall, failing to bring it back in the 70's. (13 million to demolish it-don't remember the cost to build it)....

Trotwood:

"I disagree with 99+% of posters on here that think downtown developments are a waste of time/money. I don't think anything could be further from the truth."

This is in response to your comment about plowing money into downtown. This and the millions for loans to businesses, facade improvements, taxpayer money used to start the Pendleton Arts building, the Rose Furniture building, etc....all not amounting to any measurable success. So far, the track record seems to indicate that it indeed, has been a waste of time and money. The results to date don't lie. Again, as always for the people who are seeing something that is not, it is what it is.

Trotwood:

"Middletown needs to embrace what it is and build on it, not destroy it in the hopes that it'll become some kind of "suburban wonderland" overnight after plowing down every building in town.One city is already trying that method locally - Springfield. Ever hear about them doing well? I didn't think so."

Middletown needs to embrace what it is and build on it, not destroy it you say?

Then you need to talk to the ex city manager who, under her regime, tore down everything in sight. Just look at the empty spaces around the downtown area. Look at the empty lots where Garfield and Roosevelt schools once stood. Look at Sunset Park and the empty land where the pool once was. All around town, this city administration is knocking down buildings and leaving empty lots. I don't know of one demolished site that has been built on and re-occupied. It looks like new city manager Adkins is continuing the Gilleland thinking. He is an integral part of the city looking as desolate as it does. He loves to destroy things, both run down properties as well as decent ones.

Trotwood:

(You must be an environmentalist. Always commenting on Middletown's pollution issues.)

"But Middletown has major quality of life issues with pollution. No one wants to live, work, or play in a toxic environment. So until Middletown addresses that, I don't think it'll be going anywhere unless it just wants to go full industrial.This would include buying out its citizens, bulldoze their houses, and becoming a full-out industrial zone"

A little history here. Back in the 50's and 60's, Armco Steel use to pour the red oxide smoke out the stacks. These were the days before the stack scrubbers were installed. I lived within view of the blast furnace on Grand Ave during that time and EVERYTHING was covered with the red dust. Wash the car and it would be covered with red dust in a half hour. Windows were rolled down on the cars- (usually due to no air-conditioning in cars back then). People still hung laundry out on the lines. People still went to Smith Park for the Knothole/Pee Wee football games. People still shopped, sat out on the porch and in the backyard. Plenty of outdoor activities going on back then. Wasn't a big deal at the time and people still went on living.

Trotwood:

"So let's start supporting what's happening down and throughout the city to make it a better place. We all know no one else will until we draw them in."

Most would prefer to see progress made downtown. Most want more for this town as to job selection, shopping selections, restaurant selections, etc. Most would prefer to see this city grow again and be looked on in a favorable light. Most would prefer that the city go in another direction in doing it. What is happening now and for the last 20+ years isn't working well enough to make a dent in addressing these issues. The downtown has been in a state of flux since the 70's. No real major positive change has happened. Some people say the town is doing well. As a long-time (since 1948) resident, I just don't see that to be the case. Most surrounding communities have bypassed us years ago. Look at West Chester, Mason and Springboro, cornfields when I was a kid in the 50's. Middletown was the "big brother" back then.....and prosperous. Now, a 180 degree turnaround as to status. They have all become high end/influential communities and Middletown has taken on low-income ghetto-like persona.

No, IMO, to support the current gameplan from the city leaders in developing this city is not the direction we should be going. They have had their chance and have been on this path of development for years now and it has not led this city into the light of day. Time to try new things with new thinking coming from new people. Time to fire the entire city leadership gang and go for some competence for a change.     

Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2014 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Trotwood:

"It's not going to come fast, but step by step it'll get there if those in power are careful."

Not going to come fast. You can say that again Trotwood. In the mid 60's, the downtown was thriving even though downtown stores where slowly migrating to the new Middletown Shopping Center on Breiel, built in 1958. Downtown slowly became a deserted part of the city with the infamous revival attempt, City Centre Mall, failing to bring it back in the 70's. (13 million to demolish it-don't remember the cost to build it)....

You bring up an excellent point that feeds into one I made earlier about the "suburbanization" of Middletown. The City Centre Mall (which yes I remember) was a classic example of failed urban policy, done in an attempt to make cities more auto-friendly, weather-resistant, and inorganic. What planners didn't realize is you can't take a city and make it a suburb, but this has since been learned. Downtown malls fail because they don't work in an urban environment. They don't connect well with the ways people in urban areas travel, and their attempts at connecting to suburban shoppers are futile since suburban areas have distinct advantages for handling automobile traffic. Here's one article on why downtown malls fail:

In fact, general economics don't work in favor of many retail being viable in center cities. The exception is specialty uses which carry smaller products. I could bore you all on the reasons why not, but basically it boils down to the simple fact that people who walk to a location can only really buy as much as they can hold, so they make buy less at a time and make more trips. Malls don't support any of that.

As an aside, here's some good pictures of the City Centre Mart:
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6184.0

Quote Trotwood:

"I disagree with 99+% of posters on here that think downtown developments are a waste of time/money. I don't think anything could be further from the truth."

This is in response to your comment about plowing money into downtown. This and the millions for loans to businesses, facade improvements, taxpayer money used to start the Pendleton Arts building, the Rose Furniture building, etc....all not amounting to any measurable success. So far, the track record seems to indicate that it indeed, has been a waste of time and money. The results to date don't lie. Again, as always for the people who are seeing something that is not, it is what it is.

I made a comment on plowing money into downtown?

I'm in agreement with you on using taxpayer money. The economics should support re-use of these properties, not government funding. And that will happen if the price is low enough.

What I (and assume you and many others on here) would be in favor is a % reimbursement for purchasers of these properties after repairs have been made. An expense report could be turned in, auditing could occur by an inspector checking to make sure the improvements occurred, and then funding could be paid. But not before.

Regardless though, it seems somewhat hypocritical to rail on funding allocated to downtown projects and not on tax breaks to ventures like the jobless Power Plant or the demolitions occurring in town.

Quote Trotwood:

"Middletown needs to embrace what it is and build on it, not destroy it in the hopes that it'll become some kind of "suburban wonderland" overnight after plowing down every building in town.One city is already trying that method locally - Springfield. Ever hear about them doing well? I didn't think so."

Middletown needs to embrace what it is and build on it, not destroy it you say?

Then you need to talk to the ex city manager who, under her regime, tore down everything in sight. Just look at the empty spaces around the downtown area. Look at the empty lots where Garfield and Roosevelt schools once stood. Look at Sunset Park and the empty land where the pool once was. All around town, this city administration is knocking down buildings and leaving empty lots. I don't know of one demolished site that has been built on and re-occupied. It looks like new city manager Adkins is continuing the Gilleland thinking. He is an integral part of the city looking as desolate as it does. He loves to destroy things, both run down properties as well as decent ones.

You would be right. I do not agree with what Gilleland did in regards to demolitions. I believe blighted and unused properties should be allowed to stand until the market finds a viable use unless they are damaged beyond repair (ex - major structural issues or extensive fire damage). And think about the fact that once the city demolishes these properties, the costs don't magically disappear. There is still the cost of maintaining the property, guarding it, paying any additional necessary taxes on it to the county, state, federal government, etc. It a zero-sum game.

Quote Trotwood:

(You must be an environmentalist. Always commenting on Middletown's pollution issues.)
I am. Growing up in Middletown is a lot of the reason why. 

Quote "But Middletown has major quality of life issues with pollution. No one wants to live, work, or play in a toxic environment. So until Middletown addresses that, I don't think it'll be going anywhere unless it just wants to go full industrial.This would include buying out its citizens, bulldoze their houses, and becoming a full-out industrial zone"

A little history here. Back in the 50's and 60's, Armco Steel use to pour the red oxide smoke out the stacks. These were the days before the stack scrubbers were installed. I lived within view of the blast furnace on Grand Ave during that time and EVERYTHING was covered with the red dust. Wash the car and it would be covered with red dust in a half hour. Windows were rolled down on the cars- (usually due to no air-conditioning in cars back then). People still hung laundry out on the lines. People still went to Smith Park for the Knothole/Pee Wee football games. People still shopped, sat out on the porch and in the backyard. Plenty of outdoor activities going on back then. Wasn't a big deal at the time and people still went on living.

That sounds horrible.

Just keep in mind though, who cared about the environment (or personal health, for that matter) in the '50's and '60's? No One.

How do I know? Think about those decades carefully.
Pittsburgh lived under a constant cloud of smoke so think that you couldn't even see the sun at high noon. People didn't realize smoking cigarettes was hazardous to their health, nor did they give a second thought about spraying chemicals in aerosol cans. The Cuyahoga River was so polluted, instead of thinking to clean it up people continued to ignore it and dump in more chemicals until it caught fire. Drinking and driving was socially acceptable. I could continue.

So we know better now. People are more educated. They would realize the "red dust" is toxic - and would never want to live near it. So considering the fact that is now near impossible to get people to leave their houses (again, take a trip around your average Monroe subdivision and count the number of people you see out and about), there is no way in heck they would go outside in a polluted environment.

Quote Trotwood:

"So let's start supporting what's happening down and throughout the city to make it a better place. We all know no one else will until we draw them in."

Most would prefer to see progress made downtown. Most want more for this town as to job selection, shopping selections, restaurant selections, etc. Most would prefer to see this city grow again and be looked on in a favorable light. Most would prefer that the city go in another direction in doing it. What is happening now and for the last 20+ years isn't working well enough to make a dent in addressing these issues. The downtown has been in a state of flux since the 70's. No real major positive change has happened. Some people say the town is doing well. As a long-time (since 1948) resident, I just don't see that to be the case. Most surrounding communities have bypassed us years ago. Look at West Chester, Mason and Springboro, cornfields when I was a kid in the 50's. Middletown was the "big brother" back then.....and prosperous. Now, a 180 degree turnaround as to status. They have all become high end/influential communities and Middletown has taken on low-income ghetto-like persona.

No, IMO, to support the current gameplan from the city leaders in developing this city is not the direction we should be going. They have had their chance and have been on this path of development for years now and it has not led this city into the light of day. Time to try new things with new thinking coming from new people. Time to fire the entire city leadership gang and go for some competence for a change.     

I don;t necessarily disagree with this. I think you have a good point.

But I am wondering what the new plan would be.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2014 at 9:28pm
Well, why don't you ask Dougie he seems to have all the answers but he won't publish his plan that he presented at the city managers presentation. We are the people who live here but we don't deserve the curtesy of being told what the future plans might be. Maybe there maybe some on this forum that just might be interested in jumping on his band wagon .but his ego thinks we're not worthy and he's sooo much smarter that the rest of us. He needs to get out of that "Judy frame of mind" he may just find more people willing to help in his corner. IMO
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2014 at 9:05am
Trotwood, while I appreciate your environmental concerns I must disagree.  Among the 2-3 top reasons people say they don't want to move to Middletown is NOT the industrial presence.  They mention the schools, poverty and crime. And as for Monroe -- not sure which part of Monroe you are referring to but it seems that the newer houses there are going for $200,000.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2014 at 9:35am
Vet, while I don't believe it is the reason Miami at Oxford is using to release itself from its two community schools, as I believe West Chester is still in the desired mix, I do agree that Oxford is a more challenging campus. However, many students who can't get accepted into Miami at Oxford right after high school can transfer after one semester, a 2.0 GPA, and 20 hrs of credits. A student can get into MUM without taking the ACT/SAT, or even having a transcript, just a high school diploma. So, this of the differences.

At Miami Oxford, you'll need about a 3.9 GPA, a 28 or above on the ACT, to have a chance of acceptance, or bring a diploma stating you graduated from high school, take 20 hrs, make a 2.0 GPA at MUM, or MUH, and you are at Oxford. Quite a difference in standards after a semester.

Students graduate from MUM or MUH with a degree stating its Miami of Oxford, including transcripts if one transfers. That is very advantageous if one wants to do a year at MUM, make good grades, then go to a top highly selective school like Furman, Vanderbilt, Duke, etc.

Therefore, there is a diminishing of the brand at Oxford in their mind, when having no distinction from it, and the regional campus.

My viewpoint is since all the state regional schools are now feeders or allow 100% transfer of hours from their program into Ohio U, Ohio State, Miami, WSU, etc., there is no real distinction between any of the schools.

I add many Oxford students will take core classes at MUM OR MUH, to save the credit hour difference; as the regional cost per hr, is about .20 % of Oxford. Likewise, many fine students that start a semester at MUM or MUH, do exceptional at Oxford and every bit as competitive at Oxford than the student starting there direct from high school.

Hence, I believe the real play at Oxford on the debate is more to do with making a distinction between the campuses, and in my opinion, it makes sense that so many regional campuses allow for the 100% transfer regardless of the state institution transferred, Ohio should probably put the smaller regional schools into one heading, probably Ohio State based upon size.

Miami gets a ton of students from Chicago that could not get into U of Chicago, UW at Madison, Northwestern, etc., so I suspect they do want to free some space for the out of state students with the big pocket books. My wife's sorority when she was at Oxford, was about 65% very well to do Lake Forest, Barrington, north shore gals that could not get into Northwestern.  

I personally think Kenyon is the best college in Ohio.

Regarding the bld within the Mall parking lot, I heard from an exec at Louisville Slugger, they were building a plant that would produce carbon fiber ball bats as the ash tree has died in so many states, and the company is forced to transition to an alternative from wood. There was even talk a smaller minor league baseball team might be coming to Middletown where the bats would be used, perhaps down on the river banks.                
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic