Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LIBERTY RESTAURANT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LIBERTY RESTAURANT
    Posted: Dec 11 2014 at 8:16am
Many years ago the Liberty Restaurant was known for its chili and hot dogs and they were also known for their wonderful Raisin Pies.
Last month I went to my attic and found this old hand written recipe for Raisin Pie and wondered if this was the same Raisin Pie that I had enjoyed as a child.
So I called my Greek friend George Christy, his uncle owned the Liberty and he agreed that this may be the old recipe for Raisin Pie that we loved as children.
Well needless to say I just had to bake this pie and it was wonderful!

Do any of you remember eating Raisin Pie or do you have a family recipe for this pie that you would be willing to share with me?

Thanks for your help....Merrry Ho! Ho!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2014 at 6:21pm

** vcm comment: I seem to remember this pie having a little more spice flavor so the next time I bake this pie I’m going to add a ¼ teaspoon of allspice to see if this may be the missing ingredient.

Granny’s Old-Fashioned Raisin Pie

INGREDIENTS

2 cups raisins  vcm: increase to 2 1/2 cups raisins
2 cups water or vcm: 1 ½ cup of water and ½ cup of dark rum as per granny
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch  vcm: increase to 3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar vcm: apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon butter 
1 double unbaked pie crust  vcm: 9 inch pie pan

DIRECTIONS:

Combine raisins and water and boil for 5 minutes. 
vcm I poured the boiling water and rum mixture over the raisins in a covered dish and let the raisins soak up this wonderful boozie mixture for several hours then reheated and continued to next step.
Blend sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt.
Add to raisin liquid and cook, stirring until clear.
Remove from heat.
Stir in vinegar and butter. Cool slightly. Turn into pastry-lined pan.
Cover with top pastry cut several vents in top.
 vcm: brush with egg wash
Bake at 425 F about 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Makes 1 pie (8 servings). 

Vivian Combs Moon
Middletown, Ohio

12-10-2014

foxpoint View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2014 at 10:23pm
Thanks for the raisin pie recipe. The Liberty was a great place back in the 40's and 50's.

Does anyone have a idea on the recipe for the cinnamon bread role that the Hotel used to serve years ago, or did they buy the item?

Does anyone have the recipe for licorice ice cream that Park Street ice cream used to make?

Thanks
Tom
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2014 at 11:05am

Does anyone have an idea on the recipe for the cinnamon bread role that the Hotel used to serve years ago, or did they buy the item?
Foxpoint, that wonderful cinnamon bread roll was made in house and I don’t have a clue who may have that recipe. I do hope that the new owner will bring back some of the old recipes that we all loved so well.

Does anyone have the recipe for licorice ice cream that Park Street ice cream used to make?
OMG! I do hope you get an answer to this question. Park Street Ice Cream was the best.!

I’m getting ready to bake the 50 year old recipe that I found last month in the attic for Greek Walnut Pie. After reading the recipe I think I may have to add a warning at the bottom that states you must wear pants with an elastic waist before you sit down to eat this pie.

QUESTION: Was it Weber’s that sold those wonderful big Breaded Tenderloin Sandwiches?

foxpoint View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2014 at 8:47pm
Downtown Middletown sure had a lot of wonderful places to eat in the 50's.
Tom
foxpoint View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2014 at 8:50pm
I don't remember the Breaded Tenderloin Sandwiches, but I sure remember the wonderful hotdogs you could get as your entered the store on the left side at the front door.
Tom
buckeye43719 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckeye43719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2015 at 6:04pm
Liberty had the best hotdogs and chili back in the 50's and 60's. I used to love to eat breakfast there. I always got there ham and cheese omelet and home fries. They had a great cook. Bill Donham was in the restaurant many times I ate there.
Jesus is the only way to Heaven
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2015 at 1:40pm
Buckeye
Here is my Greek Chili Recipe

Greek Chili
This recipe was given to me by Chef Carl Terry about 40 years ago
Vivian Moon
727-1942

In a large heavy pot over medium heat add the following:
1 tablespoon oil
2 large onions finely chopped
¼ cup chili powder…1 tablespoon if kiddies are eating
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Cook about 5 minutes until you can smell the spices and onions are soft

Add
2 lbs of ground beef…double grind
Cook slowly until meat is not pink but not browned breaking up the meat to a fine mixture. You can use a potato masher if needed.
Cook about 10 to 15 minutes
Add:
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 1/2 to 2 cups of good beef broth
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 oz square unsweetened chocolate
2 bay leaves
1 can pinto chili beans**
1 tablespoon molasses or 1 heaping tablespoon dark brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Simmer for about two hours then remove bay leaves.

Serve over spaghetti with grated cheddar cheese, onions and oyster crackers or over hot dogs.

buckeye43719 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckeye43719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2015 at 7:55am
Thanks for the chili recipe. My wife fixed the chili. It was very good.
Jesus is the only way to Heaven
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic