FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

schooling in Middletown 1915

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
trimtab View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trimtab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: schooling in Middletown 1915
    Posted: Feb 08 2015 at 2:47pm

for those with an interest in the history of local schooling:

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2015 at 7:17pm
Thanks Trimtab
That was a GREAT READ!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 2:50am
Many of the early businesses here in Middletown were started by men with an 8th grade education...however an 8th grade education back then was 8 years of the three R's with no frill subjects. They also only went to school about 
6 hours a day. Then at the age of 14 or 15 they went to work for a local business saved their money and many times purchased a share or purchased the business where they worked. 

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 6:20am
Proud to say my grandfather was a 4 high temper mill roller in West Processing for 46 years. As his story goes, he threw his books up in the air and walked out of Katie Banker's math class and never went back. (To show Katie's longevity in teaching, she taught me Algebra I at Roosevelt Jr. High in 1963). Started in 1922 and retired in 1968, only to live 4 years in retirement. Worked rotating shift work the entire time. They offered him a foreman's job, (and you would have to know grandpa's bluntness here) and he told them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Ahh, stories about the mill from grandpa back then......
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
trimtab View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trimtab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 10:22am
the system is so corrupt and incompetent that those charged with delivering it are now turning on each other, blaming the other for poor grades - how ironic,

treating each other like submissive, subordinate school children.

sometimes, these institutions have to collapse completely before they can be rebuilt.

I think we're witnessing a slow, painful death.
trimtab View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trimtab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by trimtab trimtab wrote:

the system is so corrupt and incompetent that those charged with delivering it are now turning on each other, blaming the other for poor grades - how ironic,

treating each other like submissive, subordinate school children.

sometimes, these institutions have to collapse completely before they can be rebuilt.

I think we're witnessing a slow, painful death.

I apologize. I should have begun by saying that there is no local solution to the problem.

I didn't mean to imply that local public school leadership is corrupt or incompetent but I will say the system they serve does more harm than good.

much is written here about Middletown's culture of dependence on the state. it takes a variety of forms.

we need to recognize the contribution state schooling has for creating it.

no matter the plan presented, the grading system applied, the integrity of the individuals selected to implement it, the results will remain the same.

locals have no real impact. they just get graded on a system imposed by the state.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic