Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, April 19, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble in Paradise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 7:11pm
Factguy, Phil Salm posted that on the Journal website. He was not encouraged to post. He lives in Florida and stays in touch with this town via the Journal. His statements were from his heart.
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 7:29pm
The school leadership gave notice Ms. Cotter needed areas of improvement to secure a renewed contract. The board Mr. Nagy, and that includes everyone on the board, voted to support Superintendent Ison to be hired in the summer. They were obviously aware of the campaign against him associated with Ms. Cotter, and voted to support him. Accountability only has a meaning when it is applied in a balanced form. 
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 7:45pm
Mr Nagy, I respect your opinions and findings. Does it not smell when Mrs Cotter is required to observer Gene Lolli at Fairborn? Mrs Lolli's Husband? It stinks to me.
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 8:03pm
Factguy -- since you are all about results, how would you explain a certain high ranking, long time city employee's unimpressive, some would say disastrous tenure in Downham Abbey?
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 8:17pm
There is not a public entity in the state, nor private business, that would tolerate a leader within management creating a situation of "us versus them." Ms. Cotter was observed as written in her own evaluation, to have created such a relationship. This is unhealthy and unproductive, whether you work for Nestle Corporation, a school district, or a public position of any sort. Ask Rick Perry in Texas if these problems can arise (his was a drunk prosecutor). Ms. Cotter was instructed in her written evaluation to observe and discuss with officials within education in Hamilton and Fairborn, what tactics were successfully used to improve scores in districts similar to MCSD. It was not to have a formal review of another school system's leadership of her, nor to place Ms. Cotter in an embarrassing situation. She was to have direct communication to gain ideas to implement. Let it play out. Either she gets her performance up, and has a contract renewed, or the Journal prints continued articles, including Letters to Editor, and high school students and parents march to the school administration building sometime in May.    
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 8:20pm
Hard work, and relationships.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 8:22pm
come on, factguy--u r twisting subjects here to make your point
Citizens didn't bring on the Section 8 explosion--it all came from within the bunker, quietly created and endorsed by Commission, admin, landlords and their cronies. Citizens were kept in the dark for as long as possible. The BOE, thru Dr.Price, tried to advantage the situation also--you know that. MUSA members want the reduction with the least damage and cost possible.

If these kids haven't shown improvement prior to hs, then slim chance that it will happen there, regardless of who is their principal. If you look at the graphs/figs, then many other principals should be on the list. Some of the #s provided show improvement.

If only our city Admin/Council were held to a similar standard of accomplishment...

I like Mr.Ison, the BOE members and Ms.Cotter--I have no real dog in this fight other than wanting our kids to grow up educated with hope and encouragement to have a real future. I like Doug A also, and want the same standard for results within his control.

Might be a good idea to drop Fairborn from the visits schedule though?
middie.lifer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middie.lifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 8:24pm
If you truly believe what was written in that evaluation without any basis for it, or without knowing for yourself what is really going on in that school, you are either not interested in being objective or you are Libby Lolli.  

I could write an evaluation for you right now that was completely subjective and speculative (like what was written in Lolli's evaluation of Cotter) and the Journal could print it… but that doesn't mean it's accurate.  Unless LL saw or heard with her own eyes/ears Mrs. Cotter perpetuating this sort of nonsense, it didn't happen.  I'll save you some time- there's no way she saw or heard this happening.  Mrs. Cotter is above this and wants no part of the drama.  

It doesn't take a genius to figure out when someone is up to their old power trip M.O. and singling out the competition.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 8:25pm
While it is nice that Cotter has a lot of support within her building, the fact is that sometimes the popularity of a leader can be an impediment to results. Like football coaches, sometimes the best coaches are the ones you can't stand. Staff in any organization loves someone who lets them wallow in old habits and excuses. While Cotter may be a wonderful person, the picture seems to be of a dedicated and caring principal who does not push hard enough and may not be cut out for that role. True leadership doesn't have to include being liked.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 8:43pm
Bill, she has been principal for 3 years. It takes 5-7 years to make a building of your own. The HS has to take on the leaders personality. True for the building, staff, students and parents. As I have said many times on this forum, the parents have to care to motivate students. Sure some kids want to change their situation but many don't.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 8:43pm
Factguy just keeps missing the facts........Doug Adkins DID NOT reduce ANY vouchers . When a voucher became available he did not fill it that's what he called "reducing" the vouchers. Total fabrication. What do think brought HUD to town! Violations of civil rights! He completely lied to council and the people of Middletown and that's how you get to be city manager. Pathetic !
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 9:54pm
A school building, a school district, and a city and its council, never takes on the personality of a manager. It defines its objectives and puts in place a leader to execute tasks to accomplish stated objectives. Dr. Price had only 7 years for his personality to shape the school district? He should have been given at least 10 or 15, and maybe the performance would have improved. The city attempted to reduce vouchers. On January 16, 2015, attorney Robert Todd filed a fifteen page document in Butler County Common Pleas Court with seven claims against the city alleging civil right and due process violations, including a writ of mandamus and declaratory judgment. The city hasn't responded to the filing nor has it been reported by the paper. There is no jury determination of guilt nor has the city responded. The city has not loss a jury demand trial and it was filed just weeks ago.  
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 10:03pm
Factguy,
 The city of Detroit (many times the size of Middletown)  went into bankruptcy and turned the entire city around in 16 months. You want to give certain people an abnormal amount of time to turn things around. You are like the evolutionists who say things have changed over millions of years and will change over millions of more years. Well, you sit and wait for ilions of years for the changes..The rest of us only have a few years for the changes and they can be made in just a few years. So, it is, with our city leaders.
Paul nagy
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 10:55pm
Respectfully Mr. Nagy, urgency is precisely the point to be made. The superintendent and one of his leaders wrote a review putting the principal of MHS on notice, performance needed to be improved, or she would not be rehired. When there is urgency to perform, the school system reacts as you have indicated is desired.     
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2015 at 12:12am
Once again, what "professional self-improvement" would be expected of Mrs. Cotter, beyond earning her Superintendent's license? It seems that that is a worthwhile professional goal for a HS principal? To me, this is an indication of Dr. Lolli's bias on her evaluation. just 1chmoore.
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2015 at 1:15am
I don't have a stake at all in the circumstances involving Ms. Cotter and the school board nor its leadership under Mr. Ison. However, from what I have read and a few rather connected individuals within the district, I surmise the following is accurate and paints a true portrait of the situation.

As for Mr/Ms Moore's suggestion Ms. Cotter was maliciously undermined by Dr. Lolli, or black-balled as it is known in business circles, this appears to be baseless. The performance review listed multiple areas of improvement needed, in addition to 'professional self improvement.' And self improvement is a reference to improving her management style and interaction, not obtaining a superintendent certification. There are many within the district who are of the opinion Ms. Cotter obtained her superintendent certification because she thought Mr. Ison intended to retire when the levy failed, and she would be a candidate for that position. Sunshine laws do provide access to personal files and information, including personnel reviews, but the information seemed to be shared for a purpose in mind.

The district also felt as has been shared Ms. Cotter identified more as a teacher than an administrator, and facilitated and accepted the teacher excuses for performance. All know the problems with MCSD, as with the city as a whole, have occurred over many years, and changing socio-economic developments. More pressure came from both the board and the district leadership to improve performance. Whether true or not, the general perception as it has been related, was Ms. Cotter was unwilling to push the teachers harder to raise test scores. Combine the desire to become a superintendent and expecting the levy to fail, with the tight identification of herself as a teacher than administration, a written plan was put in place.

Many find the coverage of the situation to be unseemly, and tabloid. With a little digging it would be found at least conveyed by insiders. other leaders were also given reviews that were not received favorably by the recipient.  
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2015 at 1:32am
"Dr. Price had only 7 years for his personality to shape the school district? He should have been given at least 10 or 15, and maybe the performance would have improved. "

Factguy, your trying to play both sides of the fence. Should it be now, 7yrs or 15? The total situation is equal to the sum of its parts. What are the merits of a person's performance and character?  Someone has an ulterior motive here and you know  it. There is good reason Ms. Cotter has the support and encouragement of so many. You have the wrong person on trial here.
Paul Nagy
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2015 at 10:26am
Opinions on this. First Mrs Cotter is put on an action after 2 years of excellent reviews. She is then told by Mrs Lolli she is to go and observe the Fairborn High School principal. Gene Lolli, Mrs Lolli's husband. Does anyone else smell something fishy?? jmo
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2015 at 10:49am
Not cool to use surrogates to save a job or carry water for a promotion. Sent to Fairborn to learn how school district raised its performance and get total buy in, while discarding excuses, "it can't be done." 
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2015 at 10:52am
i am smelling that stink way over here!! for this person to say go see my hubby because he can show you how to do it!! its BS wrong!!!! plain and simple!! im betting Mrs Cotter is way over their little small brains!!! IMO 
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2015 at 11:18am
Maybe we just need better students! All this talk about "improving performance" seems to leave out the very element where the "improvement" must happen. Not only is this little drama distracting, it doesn't for a moment focus on where the real problem occurs: between the ears of the students! How about creating a better atmosphere for the people who actually are being measured for success or failure in the district? I'm sick to death at all the finger-pointing at adults who don't take the tests and don't work in the classrooms. Get over your egos and fix the problems!!!
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2015 at 11:31am
"it's not cool to use surrogates to save a job"

-- Marty Kohler.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2015 at 12:53pm
OK---seems that our community is polarized(as always) o ver this situation.
My take towards the BOE and city admin;
Make all of the changes that you like as long as:
You rid the system of non-producers and failures, to be replaced by new outside individuals with proven track records of similar success.
If results do not improve quickly and dramatically, keep on replacing, but adding another upper layer to the change.
Replace the "replacers" who have also not made things improve.
Either it all gets better or everyone goes.
It is past time for this to happen--we have fallen far enough.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2015 at 1:53pm
Oh Tony B have I got a story for you...
I have mentored a few of these families and I can tell ya that they have NO control over their children.
One mother told me that her son would not do his homework because he wanted to watch TV when he came home from school....are you kidding me. I looked at her and told her to unplug the TV and not feed him dinner until his homework was completed. She just looked at me and said her son, who was 7 years old, would report her to the school and then the school would report her to Child Welfare and they would pay her a visit.

chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2015 at 2:29pm
Dean: I stand by my statement that this is a "witch hunt" by LL. She is a poison in our system and never should have been allowed to worm her way into her position, i.e. as a "consultant" through Butler County and---magically---she's hired by MCSD. Many, many teachers know of her tactics; she runs the district with Ison standing in the background. Mrs. Cotter has improved the atmosphere at the HS to the highest level in the last 10 years. just 1(mr.)chmoore.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic