FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Checkbook

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Checkbook
    Posted: Feb 12 2015 at 8:44pm
MJ:
Cities, counties urged to put “checkbook” online

By Josh Sweigart
Staff Writer
HAMILTON —
Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel is drafting a letter to all 3,900 cities, counties and school districts in Ohio offering to help them follow his lead and document every penny they spend on a user-friendly website — at no charge.

If they ignore the offer, Mandel says they can expect a phone call from his office. If they still ignore him, he plans to propose ordinances or push local governments to open their books.

“If they ignore all those things, I’m going to start showing up at city council meetings and school board meetings, and I’m going to demand that these local government officials put the finances online because the people have the right to know,” Mandel said in a recent interview with the I-Team.

Mandel in December put online seven years of state transactions, giving the public unprecedented access to browse state expenditures at their leisure. State lawmakers introduced a bill this week that would require future treasurers to maintain the database, which has garnered bipartisan praise.

Bear all

At least one area city is considering putting more spending online for taxpayers to view.

Hamilton already publishes the travel expenses, costing more than $500, of city employees. The city’s manager, Joshua Smith, said when they saw Mandel’s open checkbook program, they started to adopt a similar model.

“I agree with Josh Mandel’s open checkbook program, and we have already discussed internally how we can accomplish that,” Smith said in an e-mail.

Last month, the city entered into a $90,000, five-year contract with OpenGov to put all of the city’s expenditures online.

Huber Heights, a Dayton suburb, is also barreling ahead. Last month leaders announced an $8,500-a-year contract with the company OpenGov to create a website similar to Mandel’s.

The city’s “financial transparency portal” currently gives a department-level breakdown of the budget, showing debt service comprising 41 percent of the city’s $94 million budget, for example. Officials hope to have a line-item level checkbook online soon.

“We have no problem at all with having residents have exposure to as deep (of information) as we can possibly put out,” said Huber Heights City Manager Rob Schommer, who said he’ll look at Mandel’s website for future years.

Schommer welcomes an inquisitive public, he said, so he can explain things such as that the huge debt service budget is money recently borrowed for large projects, and that the amount will drop once it’s financed on a long-term basis.

Other government leaders worry local taxpayers could misinterpret some government purchases without any context to explain the spending.

“That’s always one of our biggest fears,” Butler County Administrator Charlie Young said. “Without the context, it could be misleading.”

The county currently also puts travel expenses online for taxpayers to view and also has a breakdown of budget expenditures, by department, available on a website.

“We think we’re very transparent,” Young said.

Playboy, Disney trips

Mandel spent $813,979 on the state website, which includes roughly 112 million transactions totaling more than $408 billion going back seven years.

There have been more than 110,000 searches since December, a number of which were by the I-Team, which plumbed the depths of the data and then contacted state agencies for information on notable purchases.

Revelations the I-Team found range from the gargantuan: $313 million spent with the state’s largest vendor, UnitedHealth Group, which state officials said was for administering state employees’ medical insurance.

There was the debatable: $1.7 million that state employees spent traveling to out-of-state conferences last year; $61.2 million for services with the name “consultant” in the title; and more than $900,000 on catering. There are purchases at Macy’s, Brookstone, Spencer Gifts and other mall stores.

And there were some criminal purchases: $31 spent on a Playboy magazine, $4,502 spent on lingerie — both the result of stolen state purchasing cards, departments said. The charges were refunded to the state.

Mandel said travel costs were one of the biggest “pet peeves” he came across in the database.

“I can’t stand when you see politicians and bureaucrats using our tax money to go to places like Hawaii and Disney World,” he said.

‘Citizen watchdogs’

Each purchase listed on the website includes a name, phone number and email address someone can contact for more information.

The I-Team contacted the Ohio Department of Transportation, for example, and asked about a $708 Disney Resort payment in 2012. ODOT officials say the trip was for a former agency deputy director information technology who attended an IT conference.

Likewise, the I-Team contacted the Ohio Department of Natural Resources about more than $500 in listed jewelry purchases. The agency said it was to restock souvenir shops at state parks.

Purchases at Guitar Center by both the state auditor’s office and ODNR were explained as audio-visual equipment for public functions.

The director of the Ohio Judicial Conference said that its unusually high catering costs — more than $130,000 — were for conferences and were reimbursed by attendees at the events.

Mandel said he wants “to create an army of citizen watchdogs” to demand transparency of every level of government and challenge questionable purchases.

“It’ll act as a deterrent (and) hopefully make these politicians and bureaucrats think twice before they do anything stupid with our tax money,” he said.

Follow the money

At Ohio’s Online Checkbook, available at the Ohio Treasurer’s website www.tos.ohio.gov, you can find that the state paid:

$313 million to UnitedHealth in 2014 to administer the state’s healthcare plan.

$61.2 million for services with the name “consultant” in the title.

$518,647 on ammunition, much of which for the state prison system.

$945 on calculators

$16.5 million on architect fees

$905,396 on catering

$7.9 million on office equipment

$6 million on apparel

$1.7 million on out of state travel to conferences
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2015 at 12:18am
Oh...all those dirty little secrets that are hidden in the Big Books at Middletown City Hall will be  made public?Shocked
Well this blog would really light up then. Thumbs Up

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2015 at 6:07am
Placing the correct data on line for all to see is far different than placing WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO SEE on line. There would be no guarantee that this city nor any other would provide the actual data for the people to view. An unannounced audit by the state, the subsequent fines and the publishing of the findings would be more effective IMO. Mandel, just walk in the front door, show the state credentials and go directly to the finance department and look at the books. I'm sure he would find something, especially in this city. To ask them to report any data gives them time to fabricate information.

Even if required, I doubt that we would see the factual information in Middletown. We all know the city building finances are questionable at best and the people providing the data even more untrustworthy.

Mandel doesn't know Middletown and their past as to financial voodoo record keeping.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2015 at 8:01am
Where's the number for Josh Mandels office?
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2015 at 9:31am
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2015 at 9:34am
Toll Free:  
800-228-1102
Columbus:
614-466-2160
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2015 at 12:10pm
Thank you Middletownscouter and bumper for the information. May be we should invite them down to Middletown.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2015 at 9:33am
Beside inviting Mandel to Middletown should we also bring this site to his attention citing specific topics to review? Think it would do any good to get an official from Columbus involved here?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2015 at 11:28am
I think it would be very informative for them. We have lots of facts that have been shared on this forum that need to varified or disputed. IMO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic