Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, March 29, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Downtown Middletown Inc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downtown Middletown Inc.
    Posted: Mar 05 2015 at 11:55am
MIDDLETOWN   

Downtown group has new director   
     Downtown Middletown Inc. has a new executive director.
   Mallory Greenham has been selected for the position. Her office hours are from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays through Thursdays, when she will be holding meet and greets for the community.
   Greenham succeeds Amanda Burkholder, who left Downtown Middletown Inc. last fall to join The Chamber of Commerce Serving Middletown, Monroe and Trenton.
   To contact Greenham, call 513-217-4573 or email downtownmiddletown@g mail.com  . ED RICHTER
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2015 at 3:10pm
Hmmmm....Another director for Downtown Middletown Inc.?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2015 at 3:57pm
Question...Are we still paying the director of Downtown Middletown Inc. $30,000 a year for a 3 day week?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2015 at 6:05am
Wow, Tuesday's and Thursday's from 10 to 2PM for a "meet and greet" for the community. Most of us aren't available during those hours as most of us have to work, and most of the working folks do dayshift. How many people do you think Ms. Greenham will meet and greet during that time?

This position isn't any more important nor proactive than to do 4 hours- two days a week? If so, then this job can be incorporated into another full time job and need not be called "executive director" but rather given to some admin. at the city building to fill in their time when needed. Why pay for this and why label this job as something special with a fancy title? This appears to be another "lip gloss" title doing very little as to actual meaningful work.

Is this a taxpayer funded position and if so, why? The downtown merchants should be footing the salary for this Downtown Midd. Inc. position. They're the ones who will benefit.......eventually......I guess.

Sounds like the revolving door of an "All In The Family" episode. Burkholder leaves to go to the Chamber of Commerce who is affiliated with the downtown area to be replaced by Greenham, who, I'm sure with time, will rotate out and another will end up in the never-ending saga of musical chairs. Is this the same position that that Patrick what's his name had who went to S. Carolina or wherever?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2015 at 8:05am
Only in Middletown?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2015 at 1:44pm
Is this a taxpayer funded position and if so, why? The downtown merchants should be footing the salary for this Downtown Midd. Inc. position. They're the ones who will benefit.......eventually......I guess. 

Vet
I can't seem to the find my research that I posted on this blog concerning the creation of Downtown Middletown Inc.
I was told when I first started researching DMI that City Hall had NO connection to this program...however...when I pulled the accounting for the Downtown Fund I found that City Hall makes DONATIONS to DMI. 
Patrick Kay was the first director and had run the Main Street USA Program in another city before coming to Middletown. 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2015 at 2:48pm
Here is a link from 2013 where we discussed the new facade program

http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5361&title=facadesagain
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2015 at 2:56pm
Here's another link from 2012

http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4751&title=downtown-middletown-newsletter
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2015 at 7:23am
probably a good ? for fact guy to honestly clarify the tangled relationship between Admin DMI and MCF:

How are they all related?
What have we funded?
What are we currently funding?
What have we received for our funding?
What have these organizations achieved?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2015 at 10:03am
actually meant MMF instead of MCF
however...
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2015 at 12:00pm
Spider
I believe the Middletown Community Foundation also makes grants and or donation to Downtown Middletown Inc.
City Hall also donates $50,000 to DMI for the facade program for the business downtown core.
and what I really have a proble with is the fact that these businesses can receive this help more than once...
And my big question is why isn't this money available to other small business in rthe downtown area other than the core???

Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2015 at 12:55pm
MMF funded a substantial cost associated with the trip to Greenville to show many how a city can revive itself. MMF also has played a significant role in providing leadership to the city which held together numerous businesses which had considered moving from Middletown. Among these was AKS research and development/ innovation. The $75,000 provided by the city to MMF has provided an ROI well worth the investment. And, it wil provide returns forward. 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2015 at 1:29pm
Factguy
Here is where I have a problem with this City Hall DONATION to MMF...
This was taxpayer's money
This trip was a total waste of money for a cash starved city.
Just another shell game to make the taxpayer pay for a trip that was not needed in the first place.
Sooo will MMF open their books so we know where all this money has been spent? I think not!

But as always City Hall does not need to watch every penny and cash flow...what's a few thousand here and a few thousand there...right?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2015 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Factguy Factguy wrote:

MMF funded a substantial cost associated with the trip to Greenville to show many how a city can revive itself. MMF also has played a significant role in providing leadership to the city which held together numerous businesses which had considered moving from Middletown. Among these was AKS research and development/ innovation. The $75,000 provided by the city to MMF has provided an ROI well worth the investment. And, it wil provide returns forward. 

No Factguy, you just can't whitewash the $75,000 loaned to the MMF. To say that the $75 thou was "an ROI well worth the investment" is a diversion of the intent of the loan. It is a loan and needs to be repaid. No forgiveness while using the people's money. It is NOT the city's money to give to their buddies. The Greenville trip, like the Paducah trip has not produced any eye-opening results and both appear to be an expensive, wasted boondoggle for the so-called prominent people in this community. A field trip producing nothing other than to get them out of the office for awhile. Whether the MMF or any other perceived power entity in this community was responsible for AK staying here has yet to be proven. MMF doesn't get credit for "providing leadership to the city which held numerous businesses which considered moving from Middletown" without proof in your statement. Based on the current wrong direction, damage to, and the many failures that have occurred in this city, I wouldn't be so quick to back these people. They are not that dam smart or something, anything, of any significance would have worked by now.

We will wait on your prediction concerning "returns forward". Frankly, I highly doubt that to be true. History has shown us so.....many times over.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2015 at 9:03pm
Couldn't they have simply driven to Loveland?
Riverfront bike path--older buildings in a 3-block radius of a dead former downtown
packed restaurants, bars, arty gift shops
older housing

often what you need/want is right under your nose

and why take so many who really didn't matter or bring anything back from it? + honestly the taxpayer funded the trip--not MMF--
what results have we experienced since?

lol Vet--it was never a "LOAN", but an "INVESTMENT"

I know--easy to say this now, however....
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2015 at 9:28pm
also--these trips have only focused on revitalizing the former downtown area--results?
no visits or talk about schools, industry, job creation or any other area of our strapped community

money well-spent, u say?
for whom?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2015 at 10:26am

Factguy
Do you remember the original intent for why this money was given to MMF?
Wasn’t it to be used for the evaluation and purchase of the Sorg Opera House and or other property on Germantown Road?
Another perfect example of the “Old Shell Game” in action by City Hall.
This is another perfect example of why this city is going broke and why the citizens have lost all respect and trust in our local goverment.

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2015 at 8:31am
MMFprovided "leadership" to the city? Well obviously they didn't heed it did they because there has been no appreciative movement forward. JMO
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2015 at 6:11pm

Posted: 4:51 p.m. Tuesday, March 10, 2015

New DMI director has local roots

By Ed Richter

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

Downtown Middletown Inc.’s new executive director, Mallory Greenham, said she sees a downtown that is full of possibilities, and it’s now her job to help more residents see it too.

“The number one problem in Middletown is that people don’t realize how much potential there is and how good that is,” said Greenham, who is in the midst of her second week with DMI. “I feel that there is more happening in downtown than what people realize.”

Greenham said she loves working on revitalization and historic preservation projects and believes Middletown can have a thriving downtown Main Street program, something she called “completely doable.” She said she would like to see all the people in the Middletown area eat and shop locally or consider opening a downtown business instead of going to places in Cincinnati and Dayton.

“This has to be a community effort, and my goal is to show people that it’s possible and help lead the way,” she said.

Greenham, who grew up just across the Great Miami River in Madison Township, said she’s “really excited to do this kind of work in my hometown,” and described herself as being very “motivated.” She’s a 2002 graduate of Madison High School and a graduate of Ohio State University.

She believes her familiarity with Middletown and her experience working with the Main Street program in Marietta for two years and in the private sector is what will make her successful.

DMI President G. Roger Daniel said Middletown’s program has not been fully affiliated with the national Main Street program but has always been working toward that goal. He hopes with Greenham at the helm, that will change in the future. The nonprofit operates with some funding from the city as well as sponsorships and fundraising events.

In fact, Greenham contacted Daniel and sent her resume seeking the job which was vacated last fall after former executive director Amanda Burkholder opted to take a position with The Chamber of Commerce serving Middletown, Monroe and Trenton.

Daniel said Greenham’s background, relative experience, references and enthusiasm made it clear that she would be “a good fit.”

Since she started the part-time job last week, Greenham has been working to meet and get acquainted with people in the downtown businesses, city officials and other stakeholders. To help let people know who she is, Greenham utilized social media to introduce herself to the community, complete with contact information and a photo of herself.

“I’m excited to have this job and I understand the challenges that come with it.. I’m up for it,” she said. “I know what I’m getting myself into. I’m investing myself in the city in hopes the community will invest in itself.”

Greenham is in the Downtown Middletown Inc. office on Central Avenue from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday. To contact her, call 513-217-4573 or email downtownmiddletown@gmail.com.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2015 at 6:12pm
DMI President G. Roger Daniel said Middletown’s program has not been fully affiliated with the national Main Street program but has always been working toward that goal.

Sorry but I don't understand this statement at all...help
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2015 at 6:57pm
I think he means that they haven't accomplished anything yet but are still working on it !!
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2015 at 7:27pm
Thanks 409
I'm just a little old lady with three grey cells and somethimes I just don't understand CityTalk.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2015 at 11:57pm
If I'd have known it was only nine hours per week I might have applied for the job!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2015 at 2:04am
How long are they going to kick the dead horse known as "downtown Middletown"? They really are making the rest of us look stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic