Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, March 29, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Faces Change...But Not Direction Nor Leadership
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Faces Change...But Not Direction Nor Leadership

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faces Change...But Not Direction Nor Leadership
    Posted: Sep 27 2015 at 10:36am
While reading Steve Bohannon's blog dated September 15th, I recollected how so many city council members say the same thing every year, with no results in direction, no new business revenue, no alteration in city perception, and the same fluff that is said every election.

'Mr. Adkins stated that the city is readjusting the way the Economic Development Department handles inquiries from new businesses that are considering opening up shop in Middletown.  They are streamlining the process and making it quicker to give a response to a prospective business on how Middletown can help them with their needs.  They have decided that they are going to become more pro-active and search out prospective business, rather than waiting for the phone to ring. 

I believe that Mr. Adkins in on the right track in turning this city around.  You will see that the first point in my mission statement is that I want to bring new businesses into town.  This will enable Middletown to generate tax revenue from the business that can then be used to increase funding for public safety, as well as infrastructure and road repair.  If we can continue to bring in new businesses and obtain more tax revenue from the businesses, we will not need to ask for a tax increase from the citizens. '

Quote- Steve Bohannon.

Since 2000, starting with Bill Becker, emphasis was placed on getting new revenue from new business. None has come. Its existing business moving to interstate, or a few small ones expanding and adding a few employees. Well, from Mr. Bohannon's comments, if we can get new business in, we won't ha ve to raise taxes....get ready for a tax increase.

Is anyone every held accountable anymore? Throw hands in air in disgust. Nothing is changing, and 15 years later,
It doesn't take much to shock an individual, but an individual running for office compliments leadership after 15 years, that they found the magic bullet called being proactive in trying to drive business to town, there just isn't anyone conducting the train heading off the cliff.

Revenue generation is only tax increase in Middletown, Ohio. That never changes.

Cooper View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2015 at 4:46pm
Maybe the laid off firefighters should have applied to be economic development personnel. That department has grown, but the results have been businesses taking advantage of what's already here. The gas energy company needed to hook into a Duke line already in town. The research and development department was already here. Quaker Chemical added jobs that was already in town. Clark Schaeffer Hackett left. Just looks like more jobs have left than have grown in my opinion.    
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2015 at 4:51pm
"I believe that Mr. Adkins in on the right track in turning this city around. You will see that the first point in my mission statement is that I want to bring new businesses into town. This will enable Middletown to generate tax revenue from the business that can then be used to increase funding for public safety, as well as infrastructure and road repair. If we can continue to bring in new businesses and obtain more tax revenue from the businesses, we will not need to ask for a tax increase from the citizens." '

Quote- Steve Bohannon.

For crying out loud Bohannon, we've been saying this since this forum started years ago. It has been talked about quite a lot in these posts FOR YEARS. Are you just now discovering that this is an answer for revenue generation? Is Adkins and company just now discovering this also? And it took you people years to figure this out? What's wrong with the city leaders and those who want to be city leaders?

You have said nothing here that hasn't been said many times before. Bohannon is another "one of them". Expect another "yes to everything"/go along with the program robot on council.......just like the rest of the yes nodding bobbleheads.   
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2015 at 6:00pm
In fairness to Doug Adkins and the economic development department, they all have been occupied with getting historic tax credits those who were given property by the city council. And, they have spent years cultivating relations with existing businesses including AKS to keep business from leaving. The focus has been farmer, not hunter. Also, with Hamilton getting so many jobs thanks to their aggressive city manager, Middletown will benefit, by those living in Middletown but working in Hamilton doing telemarketing, but Hamilton giving Middletown the 1.75 percent  tax credit. Between annexation of the HUNTER area, and Hamilton jobs filled by some Middletown residents, the taxes won't have to be raised. What a tough crowd here. Rome wasn't built in  a day. It may take several years, but at least many businesses kept some footprint than abandoning Middletown entirely. That's progress. Now focusing on all the city has to offer and going after business, that is a game-changer. Shaking enough trees and low hanging fruit, something will come out of the revenue/ cash tree. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2015 at 7:29pm
"It may take several years, but at least many businesses kept some footprint than abandoning Middletown entirely. That's progress"

Having the business community package in place over 30 years ago, then losing it over the past 30 years due to poor city decision making and a lack of a plan to replace departing businesses 30 years ago and starting from ground zero and calling it positive is giving credit where credit is not due IMO.

Over 30 years ago we had progress

The last 30 years we lost all that was in place

Current discussion of trying to regain all that was lost is a start.

50's/60's 100% Progression - 70's/80's/90's/2000's 100% regression = 0 (stagnation)

No credit given for now until the equation yields more than the stalemate above.

The city had no plan to replace all the paper mill jobs that were lost. It had no plan to replace Armco jobs in the 60's at 9000 employees and steadily going downhill to AK's current 2700 or so. We all saw it. The leaders saw it too. Why no reaction in the 80's when it all came tumbling down? Answer: Inept, poor leadership who couldn't plan for the next day much less down the road years in advance. I know, I know, it all happened in the past, but it is still affecting this city today. The city has never recovered.

There is no excuse for what happened to this city when it started to lose jobs. The leaders just sat on their hands and let it happen......and now, here we are, in 2015 and we are talking about how to restart the engine. The engine should have been restarted 25-30 years ago. Adkins and company get no credit until the engine is running again and until they produce positive results, they are no better than the inept leaders of the past 30+ years until they do so.

I'm not so sure that the city has anything eye-opening to offer or there would have been more interest before now in locating a business here. We are losing population, have poor schools, high crime/drug usage, high section 8 and some businesses that have started, particularly in the downtown area, have closed within months of startup. Longtime businesses like The Liberty, The Meadows, Dillmans, McGee's, Schiavonnes (sp) either gone or on restart many times. The Jug has been off and on. Sorg, Wrenn Paper, Crystal Tissue, Aeronca, Black Clawson, Country Buffet, most of Towne Mall, Target, Dasons, Barkolew Electric, Office Outfitters, AK corporate offices, others, gone. NONE replaced years after they closed. Where is the effort to regain the lost employment?

It is what it is. Where are the positives leaders are always talking about? If Hamilton's city manager can be aggressive and grow his city, why can't Adkins emulate his success here? Isn't that what one does when they have no ideas of their own?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2015 at 10:33pm

Thoreau wrote his rationale for writing Walden was his belief:

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

You don't "live" in Middletown. You simply exist. Take Thoreau's advice and move where you know you have lived and not merely tolerated a meager and disappointing existence.

Steve Bohannon pulls greater than 3100 votes.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2015 at 8:59am
believe it or not, I am on the new committee for business growth/retention. The one-stop packet put together by Mr.A and Matt Eisenbraun is pretty good and streamlined. Someone within (and hopefully from outside) will be assigned to buddy up to new prospective businesses, and hopefully a more meaningful follow-up process to ALL small businesses in the city will help address their needs/concerns. Seems like an honest attempt in the right direction.

no way I favor ANY tax increase---we are already seeing tax increases with various fee charges/increases, and losing long-time services.

I don't see any political candidate making any difference with any of this, other than helping the machine push it through.

hope that a few of you made the MU-M show Friday---sell-out crowd watched a great grammy-winning act---Arlo and Alice's Restaurant coming up on 10/14--be there!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2015 at 9:35am
Can't think anyone better than sj to help on bringing new business in nor keeping existing business in. Always wondered if there isn't a downside on the city, although agree tax credits are necessary, that existing businesses could seek the same credits under the threat of leaving. sj, what ordinances exist which make business in Middletown unfriendly? Never comprehended the reference, other than tax rate, but if Hamilton can attract business at 2.0% rate, no reason for certain sectors or industry focus, so should Middletown. Surprising it has taken this long to focus on bringing new business in, instead of waiting for the door bell or phone call.

I have often heard if the schools in Middletown were better and the infrastructure would have been maintained, the city would be highly coveted by outsiders looking to move in. One of the benefits are MUM, and all their amenities including the concert series, nice restaurants, ease of getting to highway, and beautiful neighborhoods. IMO the biggest error ever made by city officials has been to allow the infrastructure to go to such a poor condition. Most new business will likely be heavy industrial with environmental risks. Cincinnati State is offering many fine programs at an excellent price.        
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2015 at 10:41am
Spider,
Is it too late to go after the bakery that Liberty Township didn't want? Never understood why Middletown didn't approach them...but maybe they did. I understand they are looking at Indiana, but maybe it's not too late.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2015 at 10:58am
Victories may be shallow, but many have heard the compelling driver for the apartment complex company from KY committed to building by 75 was an outcome of West Chester not allowing the luxury apartment unit builder to develop more capacity in West Chester. That drove the Kentucky company to look 15 minutes north based upon the market potential. Chalk one up as a win.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2015 at 11:05am
If it is the bakery that I am thinking, they supply most restaurants in the Cincy area and have a growing biz
We might be a little south, but worth a try out by 75

I like A and E--currently they r our only shots + act like they listen and r open
If I can help this town with my thinking, glad to do so. And everyone here knows how I think
I sell this site to the insider doubters as a place that matters
Don't stop posting here
townemallgroupie View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townemallgroupie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2015 at 12:17am
Has anyone ever given consideration to the fact that MIddletown, save for about 5-10% of its residents, just completely sucks?  You can't polish a TURD.  Give these council members some slack for crying out loud.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic