Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AGENDA 3-01-2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2016 at 12:25pm

Posted: 11:59 a.m. Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Middletown Council approves $1 sale to distillery, but with hesitation

By Mike Rutledge

MIDDLETOWN 

All five members of Middletown City Council voted Tuesday to approve the $1 sale of a building at 1316 Vail Ave. and two adjacent vacant properties to startup micro-distillery Liberty Spirits LLC, but not before significant discussion about whether terms negotiated by the city administration were too generous.

Council Members Dora Bronston, Talbott Moon and Steve Bohannon expressed concerns about the terms of the sale and a proposed 100 percent tax abatement over 10 years for the project. Mayor Larry Mulligan Jr. suggested the possibility of tabling legislation approving the $1 sale for two weeks until the March 15 meeting, which company owner Mike Robinette plans to attend to discuss legislation approving the tax abatement. Robinette was out of town during Tuesday’s meeting, officials said.

City Manager Doug Adkins told council the lack of tax abatement may jeopardize the project.

Council members indicated they have heard criticisms from citizens questioning generosity of the deals.

Ultimately, at the suggestion of Mulligan, council members voted for the sale, with the understanding they will speak with Robinette, a former city employee, during the March 15 meeting.

The Journal-News will update this story later today.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2016 at 12:34pm
Story in the Journal where city council approved this......BUT WITH HESITATION.

Yeah, apparently Bronston, Moon and Bohannon got some negative feedback from citizens as to the giveaways or so they say.

But, of course, with some "reassurance" from Mulligan, they eventually agreed.

The story mentions they will deal with this again when Robinette is back in town. Wanna bet it will be forgotten about with this becoming some more lip service to appease the public.

Well, so much for investigating the public's issue with this deal. Quickly and efficiently swept under the rug. Weakness shown. No one with any guts anymore behind that desk.

Bronston, Moon and Bohannon are showing they are no change from any of the other rubber stamping council members. No matter who sits behind that council desk, and no matter how they say they will "listen intently" if elected, they all eventually come into the Mulligan fold and rubber stamp the city agends, no questions asked. Not allowed to dissent and offer any argument against those who run the show or you're edged out of that council seat eventually.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
middielover View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2016 at 6:47pm
Vet
What do you propose be done with that junk building the City owns?
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2016 at 6:48pm
Seems to me Adkins is trying to cleanup a mess created by Gilleland.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2016 at 7:27pm
No no no Middielover,
Adkins was sitting right next to Miss Judy when the Thatcher buildings were given away.
Adkins has not earned a gold star just yet...
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2016 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by middielover middielover wrote:

Vet

The dam city should never have owned it in the first place. Why does the city think they need to get in the middle of any real estate transaction involving private entities?

It isn't about what I propose. It is about the insane practice of using taxpayer money to buy downtown buildings for over inflated prices to have them set for years on end just to turn around and give them away for a buck because they have fallen into further disrepair. Look how much the city paid for the Thatcher building package purchases with taxpayer money and they ended up giving most of those buildings away also. How about all the money sunken into the Rose Furniture fiasco. The Manchester? Office Outfitters site. How about the Duncan Oil/Jack's Rec Center/service station by the tracks idea that never materialized. They gave away the old Seniors Center. Nothing has been a success, yet the practice remains.

It is a losing proposition for the taxpayer and the city.

Before any of this voodoo real estate transaction nonsense began, the building should have remained in the hands of the owner prior to the city purchasing it. That owner should have been made to bring the building up to code or pays for demolition themselves. THEN, the OWNER sells the building if not demoed. The city stays out of it as it is a private transaction.

middielover, it is a fact that the city has made public several times that they are now getting out of the real estate business, yet, as we all see today, they keep buying junker buildings and give them away to their little buddies AT THE TAXPAYER'S EXPENSE, usually for a buck.

Mercy sakes, you don't see anything wrong with that?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2016 at 8:25pm

Seems to me Adkins is trying to cleanup a mess created by Gilleland.

Seems to me that Adkins was sitting right beside Gilleland in the old city building and agreeing with anything and everything she wanted to do to take the city to ghettoland. He is guilty by association at best. He did his share of damage to the city during his tenure with Gilleland too. There were (and still are) many guilty as to being responsible for trashing this city. Adkins gets no credit so far as he has his baggage from the Gilleland regime. He doesn't have clean credentials either. He, along with Kohler and council did a job on this town.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 3:06am

Vet
The question is: "Why does the City own it?" WAIT!!! Let me re-phrase that!!! Why did the City pay a BIG WAD of taxpayers' dough for it???

After YOU answer THAT question, let me turn around the question that YOU asked Vivian, Spider and I: Why don't YOU take it off the taxpayers' hands??? HUH??? Riddle me THAT, Batman!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 3:15am
You moron!!! We taxpayers should NEVER have owned these "junk buildings" and other white elephant properties in the first place!!!

You and MMF and the Mulligans, and the rest of the liberals in town who believe that government should control all aspects of business and private property, should pay for all of the damage that you've done to our fair city!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 5:21am

Posted: 11:59 a.m. Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Middletown council debates micro-distillery subsidies

By Mike Rutledge

MIDDLETOWN
Five members of Middletown City Council voted Tuesday to approve the $1 sale of a dilapidated building at 1316 Vail Ave. and two adjacent vacant properties to startup micro-distillery Liberty Spirits LLC.

But they had significant discussion before that about whether terms negotiated by the city administration were too generous, and whether the project will become reality.

Council members Dora Bronston, Talbott Moon and Steve Bohannon expressed concerns about the terms of the sale and a proposed 100 percent tax abatement over 10 years for the company.

Mayor Larry Mulligan Jr. suggested the possibility of tabling legislation approving the $1 sale for two weeks until the March 15 meeting, which company owner Mike Robinette plans to attend to discuss legislation approving the tax abatement. Robinette was out of town during Tuesday’s meeting, City Manager Doug Adkins said.

In the weeks since the proposed sale was announced, officials have heard criticism from citizens about the wisdom of selling a building for $1 that Middletown bought with $90,000 of local money. Middletown also spent $215,000 in federal funds to buy and raze buildings on two adjacent vacant properties that are part of the $1 sale.

Middletown’s reaching new heights of ridiculousness,” said city resident Robin Fordyce, 62, who criticizes the subsidies for a micro-distillery in the city’s downtown, which she argues already has enough bars.

“If this is a capitalistic society, then let them figure out a business model that does not include paying $1 for a building that was bought for $90,000, and then they need tax breaks,” added Fordyce, who said she planned to attend Tuesday’s council meeting but was sick. “And, of course, it’s a former city employee (who owns Liberty Spirits). This is so old.”

Moon during Tuesday’s meeting noted, “I think we’ve all received phone calls, or emails, or messages on this, and there is some level of concern out there in the public, and I certainly share some of their concern.”

“I’m a proponent of small business — I’m a small-business owner here in town — and I think there’s certainly instances where it’s wise and necessary to incentivize business to come to town,” Moon said. Either the $1 sale or the tax abatement seem appropriate, he added, but: “I do have some reservations about both giving the building away and doing a 100-percent abatement,” Moon said.

Bronston, who expressed surprise Adkins had agreed to a 100-percent abatement, was among those on council who want to hear directly from Robinette, Liberty Spirits’ owner, as well as a real-estate owner/broker and former city economic-development and planning employee.

“I had some questions that I wanted to ask directly to Mr. Robinette, and for him to present his plan,” Bronston said. “I would prefer personally that he would come and give us some kind of a presentation.”

Bohannon said he wanted assurances about Robinette’s ability to complete the project.

“We put money into that property, a lot of money — of citizens’ money — into that, and I’m just concerned about the citizens’ money that we’ve spent on this thing, on speculation from someone that has not proven to me that he can follow through on a project,” Bohannon said.

“Now, granted, everybody deserves a first chance to try something,” Bohannon added. “I just don’t want to see this coming back and biting us in the tail, that we end up getting this property back again, and then the citizens saying, ‘What is the city of Middletown doing giving away property?’ And it just snowballs into that.”

“I think that’s certainly a fair concern, Mr. Bohannon,” Mulligan said. “There’s no doubt that we need to proceed cautiously with that.” But it’s also important to be friendly to business, the mayor said.

Robinette in his application for the abatement, explained: “Liberty Spirits is a start-up business in an emerging industry which is highly competitive. In order for Liberty Spirits to succeed, controllable cost must be kept to a minimum.”

Adkins noted the Vail Avenue building has no plumbing, electric or heat/air-conditioning, plus a large hole in the roof. Yet, “Liberty Spirits is willing to take the Vail property for $1,” he said. He later added: “No one in the last six years has had any interest in even looking at that property.”

Under terms of the proposed tax abatement, Liberty Spirits will pay property taxes for the value of a nearby 4,000-square-foot building at 1357 Central Ave., as that value was set when the property was purchased, plus income taxes on the distillery operation’s estimated $80,000 payroll, Adkins said. The 10-year, 100 percent tax abatement would eliminate taxes on that building’s added value created by the renovation. The estimated savings from the tax cut are $650 per year, or $6,500 over the decade, he said. The company will still have to pay about $908 yearly in property taxes, based on its purchase value.

Asked by council, Adkins speculated rejection of the tax cut could kill the deal: “I would want to ask him for sure, but my understanding is no, if he’s not going to get the … abatement, I’m not sure he would stay in this property on Central. He may look at other options and other locations.”

Council Member Daniel Picard said he saw no need to hear from Robinette.

“For us to start to insert ourselves into the negotiating process is someplace we ought not be,” Picard said. “If we’re going to insert ourselves into negotiating those deals, No. 1, that’s not what we were elected to do, and No. 2, no one’s going to come here. They’re not going to want to negotiate with all five of us.”

If Middletown isn’t business-friendly, Adkins told council, companies may say, “Nevermind, we’ll go to Hamilton.”

Adkins said if Robinette is willing to invest, “even if he goes out of business, that building now is renovated, ready for use in the future.”

“It helps if you don’t sandbag him on council night,” Adkins said, asking that council members send him their questions in advance of the March 15 meeting so Robinette can be prepared.

Picard said he believes critics of the project are jealous, or don’t like Robinette.

“As I said in my email this morning to all of you, the people who don’t want this to happen are people who have a grudge or something to hold against Mr. Robinette, and so they don’t want him to be involved, or they’re jealous,” Picard said.

Picard said he spoke about 30 minutes with one man who didn’t like the proposed deals, “and that’s really all it was: He’s jealous of the fact that Mr. Robinette’s getting a great deal. Well, I tell you what, folks: Mr. Adkins is putting together a list of all the properties that this city has. If you’ve got a deal, you want to do something, step forward. Bring us your project. We’ll be glad to consider it. We’ll probably be willing to make you a deal where you get a building for a buck, too.”

·                                  

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 6:19am

"Picard said he believes critics of the project are jealous, or don’t like Robinette"

Picard, the people have spoken and, like a child, you don't want to hear what they have said. Now, to emphasize the child-like behavior, you go the "jealous" route to voice your displeasure.

What the..? jealous of Robinette? Has NOTHING to do with being jealous of Robinette. It doesn't matter who it is. Has EVERYTHING to do with taking taxpayer money, buying buildings downtown and ending up giving away the dumps to the friends of the city for a buck. Has EVERYTHING to do with wanting the dam city to get out of the private sector's business and staying out of the real estate business altogether like you said you were going to do many times. Has EVERYTHING to do with misappropriation of taxpayer dollars.

Picard, you clueless wonder. You have to go son.

Look, being "business friendly" doesn't mean you buy the building for 90 grand, it sits until you have some interest from a friend of the city, you give them the dam building for a buck PLUS TAX ABATEMENTS for 10 years...... being business friendly does not mean buying the property. gifting the property and powdering their behinds for them, especially when you use taxpayer money to do it. Under your "business friendly" program, the city incurs all the cost both in the loss of money in buying, gifting and tax abatements and the buyer gets all the benefit with no taxes and the city literally buying the building for them. It is revenue loss (didn't Adkins just talk to us about enhancing revenue sources) in lost taxes and paying 90 grand for a building and getting a buck for the investment. Only in Middletown would that be logical.   
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 7:46am

Can we have a little talk about the photo that was published in the Journal?

The caption states that this photo is the inside of the city owned 1316 Vail Ave. property. If the other city owned properties look like this it is no wonder that they are all still sitting empty.
Before you come after homeowners for rusty gutters I would strongly suggest that City Hall clean up it's own mess...make a list of all city owned property in THEIR DOWNTOWN area, take a picture of the inside, put a sign in the window, clean them up and get them ready for sale.
Shame on City Hall.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 8:57am
Wow
all of this emotion and press over such a small project
what cioncerns me the most is the insulting comments, attitude and direction displayed by Mr.Picard:

1. I do not dislike Mr.Robinette. I think that his wife and he are very nice people. He is intelligent and seems to have a very enjoyable personality.
2. I am in no way "jealous" of him or this project. He is already stuck on the 5th/3rd building(boarded up hole on the east side, incomplete and up for a fire sale) and the Rose building(much larger hole lol and dangerous--can't believe that Admin continues to let it be + they now want the city to sweeten the pot with $75,000 more of taxpayer $$). This new, somewhat small project is pretty high risk, and needs a lot of work just to begin. If he starts a local business ON HIS DIME, I will be there to support him.

When I was in business on Central Ave, and Mr.Picard was then my ward rep, I approached him about a temporary use of a shut down roadway for a couple of deliveries during an important holiday season. He had no knowledge of the traffic logistics, refused to visit to look at it, and in a nasty way refused to consider my request. He also tried to eliminate bus service in that area(up/down Central Ave!). Well--my 52yo in that location business closed and I sold my property to something better suited to the local demographics. I have no confidence in Mr.Picard as a Council member and hope that his tenure is short-lived.

3 members of the Council have expressed very legitimate concerns over this project. I hope that they see through the intimidation and smoke to vote correctly.

The long-standing concerns over city purchasing of private property(for high appraised value), allowing said properties to continue to deteriorate and gifting them to friends and non-profits has not been a good move for the taxpayers and must end. + it only seems to occur in the area formerly known as "downtown". Well--it quit being "our downtown" decades ago.

We have many strip centers(formerly flourishing) all over town. I operated two long running community essential businesses in a couple of them. One has looked like bombed-out Baghdad for close to 30 years. Every new ED director visited me, and promised to fill the area within 6 months to a year. Never had them bring in anything or saw any of them again. My other center started the same pattern when another large national anchor pulled out. Our past ED director told me "Sorry--we do not work with retail", yet Mr.Kohler and past Commission EMERGENCY legislated a stripper club in to a center that wasn't even permitted to have a liquor establishment. ?????

Those centers and neighborhoods could easily lose one of those businesses that I sold, and their neighborhood would lose a necessary business. The new owners have NEVER been visited or contacted by any member of ED or Admin.

Shouldn't those businesses and neighborhoods be given at least equal consideration for tax breaks, façade improvements and other "freebies"? If not--then why not?

After all of this "concern and discussion", I fully expect Admin to push hard for the liquor store, and Council to approve it 5-0.

Insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly, while expecting a different result.

Meet the new boss--same as the old boss.

jmo
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 11:24am
I believe VV hit the nail on the head, why were the original owners not held responsible for keeping the property in code? Then when the new owners became the city ,they didn't do any thing either. Many properties owned by the city are in disrepair,but we have to enforce the rules so no gutter is left in disrepair! I realilize Dougie is trying to to some good but what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If these rules sure to be enforced across the board,as they claim, then clean up your own house before you start throwing rocks JMO
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 12:30pm
It is indeed sad out of 48,000 residents, perhaps 30 keep up with the finances of Middletown and its direction.

Consider the following. City Manager Adkins doesn't want to sandbag Robinette's deal, and wants pre-submitted questions. Dan Picard says what a waste of time to question Robinette's motivation nor business plan. In pother words, its not important. To add insult to injury, he says anyone can get land and a building downtown for a buck. Memo to council and Mr. Adkins- there is a correlation between residential property values and commercial.

Since Bill Becker became city manager, it was recognized to have control overt the city, there was a mandate to create an entity they controlled, to give the appearance council was right. That body became MMF. MMF has one charter, and that is to support city council. City council refers to Picard, and the Mulligan brothers. They help fund the frat boys council wants to sit with them, that will all nod yes. They are shills for council, not strategists.

Now turning to Mr. Picard and Larry Mulligan's obvious contradictions. Everything council does has been planned years out. Larry knows about Robinette's plan. Picard says its not council's job to negotiate for council. To be clear, this is a violation of state and city ordinance on the bid process alone, but the main objective has been and will be, to protect Main Street residents and their family members whom live on Main Street. Make no mistake. That is why the buildings have been given away, and millions wasted with no return. In legal terms, its a breach of good faith and fiduciary duty and obligation to the residents and commercial business owners who pay the funds for public utilization.

Your $800,000 annually to pay for street lamps will be plowed into all the tax abatements and more land purchases, while giving them away for $1., to finalize that grand concrete and asphalt moat around Main Street.

A thinking individual would cry foul and be running city council out of town with pitchforks. In Middletown, they will form the cliques and nod the heads yes, while witnessing the continued decline across the city, and never comprehend the inequity of waste downtown, for a small number of individuals. Flamingo's in head in sand, and just not getting it. Forbes was right in 2008, and it is more so presently.     

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 12:38pm

Middletown Journal
Updated: 12:34 a.m. Monday, April 5, 2010 | Posted: 12:33 a.m. Monday, April 5, 2010

Land swap issue noticeably absent from council agenda

Cabinet company still hoping for deal

By Ryan Gauthier

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN — A controversial land swap that would have seen the city pay $95,000 to secure the former Middletown Antique Mall is on hold for the time being.

The deal would have seen the city purchase the former mall, 1607 Central Ave., for $90,000 and then turn around to trade that land with Midd-Town Custom Cabinets for its property at 1316 Vail Ave. The city would have also provided Midd-Town CustomCabinets with $5,000 to help cover their moving expenses.

The city council was set to hold a second reading on an ordinance approving the land swap at its Tuesday, April 6 meeting, but the legislation did not make the final council agenda.

Economic Development Director Mike Robinette said the land swap was pulled from the agenda while staff “works on some alternatives for the project.”

“We’re trying to look at alternatives that would allow them to move forward with the project they’re wanting to do, but not have us involved in the land swap,” Robinette said.

The city became involved in the deal mainly over tax issues, Robinette said, as Midd-Town Custom Cabinets initiated swap conversations in an effort to avoid paying up to $15,000 in capital gains taxes.

Midd-Town Custom Cabinets, co-owned by Jeff Brown and Don Kennedy, is responsible for carpentry inside of numerous local businesses, including the Middletown Public Library, Java Johnny’s and the now-closed 56 Degrees Wine Bistro.

Kennedy said the deal has always been “designed to save the city money.”

“Rather than paying $15,000 in taxes and passing that along to the city in our sale price, we figured we could just do an exchange,” Kennedy said. “It was an even deal as far as we were concerned.”

Council raised questions about the swap when it came to light the current owner of the Central Avenue property had purchased it for $50,000 mere weeks before the deal was proposed. Kennedy dismissed claims the proposed swap was a “good old deal,” as he said his business is eating the $40,000 loss, not the city.

“We were in talks with the bank to purchase the land, but (Daniel) Diver made a bid on it and had already been approved,” Kennedy said. “I was two weeks too late in planning this. I pretty much cried my heart out.”

Their three-man operation has been able to survive for so long by picking from the corpses of larger carpentry operations that went under during the recession. A move to the larger building would allow them space to create a “drop-dead gorgeous showroom” and ideally hire on some additional staff.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 3:09pm
I also agree with Spider that Picard's comments were insulting and unnecessary. He is most definitely on his way out. The first time he actually makes a comment instead of his usual bump on a log presents this is what we get? 😜 And Spider if it doesn't conform to "Main St" standards then they have no interest in. Our mayor has missed many opportunities to extend a welcome to small businesses. People may have noticed in the Feb. 4th Middletown Journal the representatives and liaisons for various boards and commissions and which ones Larry was sure to name himself to. Looks like the ones that Main St group wants to control and they pull his strings. JMO
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 3:39pm
If this is how our "new direction" admin is going to operate, then maybe their funded DMI and MMF could expand their scope to include every other business area of the community, buying up the distressed properties of other locals at their "fair value" and/or extending facade improvements and tax breaks to so many other EXISTING local businesses desperately in similar need. That would go a long way in bringing everyone on the same page, and strengthening the ENTIRE community.

If you don't live or work in the "holy land" on S Main, Broad or between(and few actually do), then that area is not nearly as important to you. With many other struggling business centers more approximate.

The current long-running policy has done little other than to divide and polarize businesses and residents(which should be painfully obvious to everyone, especially those "in charge" and representing EVERYONE equally).
So--give the man his liqour distillery as long as the same amenities are offered immediately throughout the entire community. It is not so much about this project as it is about the long-term pattern of area favoritism and cronyism. And check all of past/current/future deals as to who actually is involved in ownership.

As OTH mentioned, if something is good for one entity, it will probably be just as good for someone else.

And while Community Revitalization is sanitizing/citing businesses in other parts of town, maybe they should closely look at:
the old library
the old Mont Wards on Main
the Manchester
the Sonshine building
The Studio/Strand
the Sorg Opera House
the Rose building
the 5th/3rd building
the empty factories along the river
Bicentennial Commons

code/nuisance violations maybe?
special treatment maybe?
Cooper View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 6:37pm
It would be a correct assessment to state there is a city council cartel protecting and embellishing Main Street under the guise of a downtown revitalization. Doug Adkins was named city manager because city council cartel had trained him.    
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 6:58pm
Spider
Read and weep...and then we have the DUNCAN OIL SWAP DEAL
Here is the link to the Legislation #13 pages 65-78

http://www.cityofmiddletown.org/docs/council/1212009_w.pdf

S T A F F  R E P O R T

For the Business Meeting of December 1, 2009

Date: November 23, 2009

TO: City Council 

PURPOSE Authorize the City Manager to enter into a development agreement with Duncan Oil Company and, acquire certain real estate for the development of the Central Avenue Gateway Project, appropriating funds and declaring an emergency. BACKGROUND and FINDINGS The Central Avenue Gateway Project will provide for the City to acquire certain real estate needed for the development of the Middletown Station (Ohio 3-C Passenger Rail Project) and provide for a new development by Duncan Oil Company of a convenience service station. The City will acquire certain real estate and exchange that real estate with Duncan Oil Company for real estate needed for the Middletown Station Project. Duncan Oil Company will use the land acquired through the exchange with the City to develop a new convenience service station (Central Avenue Gateway project).

ALTERNATIVES Do not proceed with the Central Avenue Gateway Project and Middletown Station Project. FINANCIAL IMPACT The total cost of the project is $550,000 to be appropriated from the Downtown Improvements Fund (Account number: 481-990-54400)

CONFORMITY TO CITY POLICY This conforms to city policy to convert underutilized commercial and industrial property to productive uses as provided for in the City’s Master Plan.

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS None

RECOMMENDATION Staff recommends approval of the development agreement with Duncan Oil Company and the acquisition of certain real estate related to the Central Avenue Gateway and Middletown Station Projects as an emergency because of the need to have ownership of certain real estate needed for the development of the Middletown Station Project.

ATTACHMENTS None

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2016 at 8:13am
You can gripe all you want about the fact the City owns property. The fact is they do and this particular property seems to be falling apart. It has been vacant for 7 plus years and no one has come forward with an offer to do anything.

Why not get rid of the liability to the taxpayers?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2016 at 8:52am
Do you find it interesting that the former city employee who negotiated the purchase of the property for $90,000 now wants it gifted to him for $1 + 100% 10-year abatement on improvements? Probably will sail through business as usual, but still somewhat ironic and UNusual imo

Was the property ever advertised as available?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2016 at 9:11am

You can gripe all you want about the fact the City owns property. The fact is they do and this particular property seems to be falling apart. It has been vacant for 7 plus years and no one has come forward with an offer to do anything.

Why not get rid of the liability to the taxpayers?

Again, the city has said repeatedly that they do not want to stay in the real estate business and want to stop acquiring buildings but they just keep on doing it. Since you have chosen to take the city side of things here, please explain why the city says one thing and does another.

The initial liability to the taxpayer is of a financial nature in that the city uses taxpayer dollars to acquire these "falling apart" properties on a continual basis. Again, if they really got out of the real estate business, and left the natural course of development to the private sector, there would be no issue as to liability to the taxpayer be it legal or financial. The city mantra created this situation. Ask the city why this is occurring instead of defending them.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2016 at 9:40am
Steve Bohannon, Dora Bronston and Talbott Moon stated they needed more information from Mr. Robinette concerning this deal.
Steve Bohannon wanted to know if Mr Robinette had the capital to complete the project.
Mr Adkins stated that the ED Dept had vetted Mr. Robinette.
Mr. Picard said as a council should not be getting into banking...staff does the vetting.

Well Mr. Adkins and Mr. Picard how's all that VETTING been working out for you over the years? I have read several of your contracts and I will tell you that Mr. Mulligan's bank would not loan $5 with the the information that Mr Grau and others submitted to City Hall.

I believe that the three council members have every right to know if Mr. Robinette has the capital to complete this deal BEFORE they sign over 3 properties for a $1 plus a 100% 10 year abatement. 
This community did vote for these three council members to be good stewards of our city and our funds.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2016 at 11:01am
I agree VM. Mulligan would never agree in his banking potition to half of the banking/business deals he has signed on to with the city. But then he's not held accountable to anyone in his capacity as mayor. It's not his money. Talk about lack of fiduciary responsibility, he's the poster child for that. JMO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic