FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City manager getting $25,000 raise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City manager getting $25,000 raise
    Posted: Aug 12 2016 at 8:52am

Posted: 2:56 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 11, 2016

Middletown city manager getting $25,000 raise

By Ed Richter

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

Middletown City Council is expected to significantly raise the city manager’s salary at its meeting next week.

Mayor Larry Mulligan said council will amend its contract with City Manager Doug Adkins to raise his salary from $125,000 to $150,000 a year.

In addition, over the next four years, Adkins will receive annual increases of $5,000 along with additional contributions toward his Ohio Public Employee Retirement System retirement account. Mulligan said the other provisions of Adkins’ contract will remain the same.

RELATED: Perks contribute to salaries of Butler County’s highest paid administrators

Mulligan made the announcement via a news release on Wednesday.

“After reviewing the progress made over the last two years, council agreed that a new contract was needed,” Mulligan said. “In surveying compensation for city managers in the area and in similar-sized cities, it was apparent we were well-behind the median averages. Mr. Adkins’ progress and performance warrants an adjustment to reflect the value of the position and to recognize the contributions he has made to our progress. The future increases planned to provide assurances to Mr. Adkins and recognize his efforts. City Council will continue to periodically review performance and make adjustments as necessary.

Among the successes over the past two years that council and Mulligan cited were the new AK Steel Research and Innovation Center, NTE’s new $600 million natural gas fired power plant, the development of new apartments on Towne Boulevard, improvements of the Towne Mall Galleriaand the opening of new businesses downtown.

Council also cited the quality of life improvements such as fireworks on the Fourth of July, the establishment of the Designated Outdoor Refreshment Area downtown, new downtown concerts, and improvements of the city’s appearance through beautification and code enforcement.

Crime, including serious crime and thefts, are also down, according to council.

MORE: Middletown wants to be All-American City in 2020

When Adkins applied for the position, he presented council with a five-year plan to return the city to sustainable revenues.

“… Two years in, he has done what he said he would do, and we look forward to finishing the five-year plan under his leadership,” Mulligan said.

RELATED: Middletown seeks ideas for future of downtown

What A City View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote What A City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2016 at 7:10pm
If you haven't done so as yet and if you are interested in what others are saying about this, go to the story in the Journal and see the overwhelming opinion that Adkins isn't deserving of this raise, the city is still in desperate need of some help under his guidance and the city council needs to be replaced as they continue to be the rubber-stamping puppets who are told what to do by the city building. Like other city managers, Adkins isn't the answer for this city either. The town is totally without correct focus as to what is really needed here. 

The comments are not flattering for Adkins and reflect the attitudes and opinions of this city, and it is not a pretty picture painted by those responding. 
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2016 at 10:13pm
City council made no effort to seriously interview any candidates for this position. Why? Because Doug Adkins works for Mulligan, Picard, and Bohannon. He is their shill. Its easy to dump $25,000 for doing nothing when you have done a good job of protecting the Mulligan interests in Main, and Fenwick's interest on east end. 

I have seen enough. Putting house up and if I have to take a huge loss, its time to leave Middletown. No progress, and for throwing $25,000 away for AKS staying in Middletown when it had no place to go, and bringing in fireworks, its just a headfake to pay off Adkins for letting the city take taxpayer money and protect Mulligan's property, and Fenwick. This is OUTRAGEOUS conduct.
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2016 at 9:54am
If Atkins were paid minimum wage with no benefits he would be over paid for the job he does. Does council really think that running all the lawyers out of downtown was wise? Does council think that losing the income taxes and rental income from the lawyers’ office spaces is wise? Does council think that violating the law and not properly taking bids when selling city owned property is wise? Does council think that tearing down everything in sight and losing the property taxes is the smart thing to do? Does council really think that stealing and misusing all the money from all the funds (Auto and Gas Fund, sewer separation fund, street fund, etc.) is the smart thing to do? Does council think that totally ignoring their fiduciary responsibilities is the way to run a city? Also, reinstating the fireworks is the result of having prevented the community from putting on their own fireworks. Don’t forget the thirteen police cars (loaded with jackbooted thugs) driving through the park (filled with children) to stop the high crime of having safe fireworks for the children. Remember how they told everyone to leave the park, even though our Constitution assures us the right of freedom of assembly. This is the tip of the iceberg of the corruption that goes on in our city building
P. S. - to the Journal-News. Your removal of negative comments about Atkins and council and replacing them with another saccharin piece is why Middletown citizens don’t trust or believe your one-sided newspaper.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2016 at 10:02am

Posted: 3:56 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 17, 2016

Scarce opposition at meeting to Middletown city manager’s raise

By Ed Richter

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

Of the more than 100 commenters online and on social media reacting to news that Middletown’s city manager would be receiving a $25,000 raise, only three people attended Tuesday’s city council meeting, where the salary increase was introduced.

And only one resident spoke in opposition of the increase.

Mayor Lawrence Mulligan announced last week that council was in agreement to give City Manager Doug Adkins a $25,000 raiseas well future $5,000 annual raises over the next four years as part of a contract amendment. The salary increase would bump his annual salary up from $125,000 to $150,000.

During the citizen comments portion of the meeting, resident John Soppanish said while he thinks Adkins is doing a good job, he should have completed the current contract.

“My problem is that Mr. Adkins agreed to a five-year contract,” Soppanish said. “He’s doing a terrific job, but I say why are we amending a five-year contract? He agreed to it. Why don’t we wait until the five years are up then offer him the substantial raise you are offering him?”

He said the city’s infrastructure “is going down the river on a raft. You know it. I know it.”

“I believe myself that the contract should not be amended until it’s up,” Soppanish said. “This money should go to infrastructure, go to the police department or go to the firefighters. Give the man what is due to him after the five years are up. This town needs more of a facelift.”

COMMENTARY: Adkins right manager to lead Middletown

Mayor Larry Mulligan “clarified” some information about Adkins’ contract to the resident, saying the city manager signed to an intial two-year contract and this lays out the pay to his future compensation.

“I think there have been lot of merits and the great progress we’ve made,” Mulligan said. “We were in agreement in executive session that Mr. Adkins is deserving of this and it’s well earned and well deserved.”

The salary increase was introduced as an ordinance at Tuesday’s meeting and council is expected to approve the measure at its Sept. 6 meeting.

Council did approve Tuesday an emergency ordinance to pick up the employee contribution of Adkins’ contribution to the Ohio Personnel Employees Retirement System, which was another provision of the contract amendment.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote What A City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2016 at 12:04pm
Shouldn't surprise anyone that only three people came. We all know this is a done deal. We all know that council is going to rubber stamp it. We all know that it is a waste of time to go to the council meetings as they are going to do what they want to do despite any opposition. Council has always conducted themselves this way. Have for decades. City leaders have never listened to the people nor taken any suggestions we have made. What else is new? 

Everyone knows that it takes little time to voice one's displeasure with city leaders on this forum or in comments in the Journal. Everyone here, and who participate in the Journal discussions, know that when city hall announces what it plans to do, it is an already done deal. It is only announced in the paper to appear as if they are giving people notification and an opportunity to disagree, but it doesn't matter from the beginning. 

From the Journal:

"Of the more than 100 commenters online and on social media reacting to news that Middletown’s city manager would be receiving a $25,000 raise, only three people attended Tuesday’s city council meeting, where the salary increase was introduced.

And only one resident spoke in opposition of the increase."

See, even the Journal plays it out to act surprised at the poor response when they have seen it many times before when information they know will irritate the public is mentioned. Just surface fluff. They know it will be a small turnout for these situations. Everyone does. There is apathy because the residents know that anything said or suggested will be ignored. Same with these so-called "community involvement" meetings scheduled by the schools. A certain few are listened to while the vast majority are not. It's "just the way it is" here in good old Middletown. A small percentage of inclusion and a large percentage of exclusion. It has never been balanced. 

Now, what would really impress the hell out of me is if Adkins and city council would have a community invite where the people and the city leaders could talk out their differences where the leaders would actually take the time to listen to the people rather than dictate how it's going to be. No city rules of engagement. No time limits of three minutes. No nonsense. Let the people have a say-so. I challenge Adkins and his council to announce their intention to listen to the people for once in their lives. ALL THE PEOPLE. It is so easy being around people who you know are your friends. Break your comfort zone Adkins and council. Join those who are not considered your close friends and who don't believe in the city gospel. Listen, you just might learn something about what this city is all about and what it expects from you people. 

Doug Adkins View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2016 at 1:48pm
Go ahead and email me and I'll set up a time for you to come in and tell me what you would like me to know. I'd be happy to sit down with you. You pick the topics...

My email is douga@cityofmiddletown.org
Doug Adkins
Community Revitalization Director
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2016 at 4:00pm
Cool!
Time to call everyone out, lay it all on the table and get on with things.
Agree with mr.A or not, I have always found him open honest and transparent.
This would be face to face with no hiding behind a screen name.
You honestly can't ask for more than this.

We shall move forward with a better understanding of everyone and everything(I hope!)
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote What A City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2016 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Doug Adkins Doug Adkins wrote:

Go ahead and email me and I'll set up a time for you to come in and tell me what you would like me to know. I'd be happy to sit down with you. You pick the topics...

My email is douga@cityofmiddletown.org

The request was for a community meeting with the usual rules and regulations placed aside. I would refrain from meeting with you one on one as there would be no witnesses there in case of retribution on the city's part. It has happened before. The city knows and lists it's detractors. It is not innocent of this type of conduct, past or present. Needs to be a community event where all could see and hear the same things. That would eliminate the "he said/she said" variable in the equation. I would do a one on one Mr. Adkins, but for me, it is a trust/targeting factor in doing so. The meeting would have to be scheduled in the evening to attract the most people. A day time meeting, which happens at times, eliminates most who work those hours. 

For a head start, here are some topics to ponder if we come to an agreement for a community meeting without the usual rules and you (and council in attendance) actually intend to listen........council is the voting body in case changes/new ideas are to be inacted. They need to be a witness and participate also. 

1. Why the all intensive focus on the downtown? It is not a key element and could certainly be place in the back of the bus as to priorities to get this city righted.
2. This city has been without decent paying jobs for decades, When Armco (AK) downsized in the 70's and 80's and when the papermills started shutting down, Sorg being one of the last, why wasn't there any urgency in replacing those jobs? (I realize this was before your tenure)
3. Why is Middletown one of the highest taxed communities in the area but yet has the fewest amenities and is one of the poorest housing markets around with people under water in their mortgages and not able to sell for a decent amount to leave the city?
4. Why was the welcome mat put out for all the HUD/Section 8/low income people when everyone knows that that would ruin the image of the city and label it as the Appalachian area of SW Ohio? In essence, it trashed the city, the people and the image.
5.  Why the free tax-payer money giveaways in the downtown area when we have yet to see one developer actually complete his plan proposed for that funding? (Manchester, Rose Building, old Journal building, etc,)
6. Can you call Cincy State a success in providing the foot traffic goal it was intended to produce in the beginning? Has it been a disappointment to any in the city building to date?
7. Is anyone in the city building group happy with the city schools as to being an attraction point for new residents?
If not, has this been expressed to the school people as to the disappointment?
8. Where has the money gone that was allocated for the streets since the raid on the street repair fund in the mid 80's and why do you think it wasn't replaced? 
9. Why do you think the streets have been totally ignored and left to decay for decades?
10. What is the scheduled completion of the downtown area so that the people can get an idea when you propose to focus on the other 85% of the city?
11. Was tearing down Sunset Pool a good idea after the fact?  Were all avenues of private ownership or selling vouchers to residents for operation ever a thought to maintaining the pool?
12. Why were the sewers neglected for so long?  A basic need, like the streets, that should have been a top priority all these years.
13. The Safety Levy several years ago was approved, The city sold it on maintaining the police and fire personnel numbers. Layoffs occurred. Now we have a grant for 12 more firefighters, Why wasn't the promise to the people kept as to maintaining the safety personnel levels?
14. Why are we losing population? Is it the poor schools? The lack of decent housing? The lack of  decent paying job choices? The poor image as we trashed the city with low income and excessive HUD housing? The poor roads and infrastructure? The way the city is operated spending alot of money yet accomplishing very little? Focusing on the wrong things that don't appeal to people that could have been attracted here? All of the above? None of the above?
15. Why do YOU think the city has been stagnated for decades and not grown as the surrounding communities have done?
16. Just how much influence does this MMF group have in the city? Seems they offer a strong current as to the direction we are going. How much influence do they have as to how council votes on the issues concerning the direction of the city? Do YOU think council has an issue with rubber stamping everything, and a no questions asked mentality?

Good start? if so, I have more to come. 
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote What A City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2016 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Cool!
Time to call everyone out, lay it all on the table and get on with things.
Agree with mr.A or not, I have always found him open honest and transparent.
This would be face to face with no hiding behind a screen name.
You honestly can't ask for more than this.

We shall move forward with a better understanding of everyone and everything(I hope!)

Perhaps Spider but, as I told Mr Adkins, I have a lack of trust issue with a one on one with him. The city has been know to retaliate against those who don't agree with the city operation. I would prefer to voice my ideas and complaints with witnesses. I do agree that this is a bit surprising that a city manager would even care enough to react to the general masses. I give him credit for that.......but I still have a feeling of distrust and retaliation from that group in the city building. They have been known to target people in the city. There is no risk on his part on a one on one but there could be for me. 

By the way, Mr Adkins, you might want to change the title in your post to City Manager rather than the old Community Revitalization Director.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2016 at 10:31am

History clearly shows that the fire, police and city hall salaries plus goodies have consumed the majority of our budget for years therefore we have not had the funds available for major improvements.
We have been told by numerous people over the years that this was not a sustainable practice.

All of this happened while jobs left our city and them boys at city hall started raiding funds and kicking the problem cans down the road.

Council has spoken and Adkins will get his $25,000 plus goodies.

Can’t wait to see the raises that will be given to the department heads

No reason for a conversation….just look at the numbers

Douglas Adkins View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Douglas Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2016 at 8:54am
Well, let’s start with the trust issue and we’ll work towards the other issues. First, I’d like this to be a productive exchange, which in the past, has not always happened. Trust works both ways. If this is a good discussion where people may disagree, I’m all in. If this is an ambush to see how many people can scream and rant, then we probably won’t get far.

I’d like to start by asking a question. And I want an honest answer.   Are you aware of anyone that has been retaliated against since I took over as City Manager two years ago?   I’m not aware of anyone, so if there is someone who has been retaliated against by city employees for their views, I would like to and need to know about it.

A second question. If there has been retaliation that I am unaware of, does that person still work for the City? I’m not sure you all are aware how much we have turned over staff in the last two years.   You have a new Police Chief, Fire Chief, Assistant Fire Chief, Economic Development Director, Assistant Economic Development Director, Finance Director, Assistant Finance Director, City Planner, City Zoning Official, and we are working on hiring a new Tax Superintendent. Beyond the department heads, any employee who was not taking care of the public has been counseled and in some cases, dismissed from the organization.

We all have bad days and we all make mistakes, but I’ve worked hard the past two years to listen and to open lines of communication and to remove people from the organization who do not believe as I do. Our budget is online. Our quarterly reports from each department are online. Our checkbook is online. We have a robust social media outreach on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. If you haven’t seen my city manager blog yet, I post regularly on events going on in the city. I call it like I see it. You may not agree, but you’ll know what I feel and why I believe as I do.

In May, 2015, I rolled out to city employees, “The Middletown Way.” It’s a program that I instituted to instill a different culture regarding our interaction with the public. I cover some part of it at every employee meeting. This is “The Middletown Way:”

The Middletown Way
We Understand:
•     That we create the environment in which the citizens of Middletown live
•     That we are essential in creating a livable and vibrant urban environment that makes Middletown an attractive place to live, work and play
•     That positive energy is contagious
•     That we implement policy as developed by City Council, and guide the quality of the community
•     That we are responsible for delivering the public services that our residents seek and City Council deems appropriate
•     That we are only as strong as our weakest link
•     That the image of Middletown as a community is dramatically impacted by our work product and our attitude about the City
•     That we must all work together as a team to accomplish our goals     
We Are Committed:     
•     To providing quality public services in a positive and efficient manner
•     To treating the public and our co-workers in the manner in which we would like to be treated
•     To making Middletown a great place to live, an exciting place to do business and a pleasant, friendly place to visit
•     To representing Middletown in a positive way and projecting the community in a good light
•     To serving the public with dedication, integrity and responsibility in undertaking our roles as the caretakers of all things public in Middletown      

We Promise:
•     Our best effort every day to deliver quality public service to the citizens of Middletown
•     Our belief in and commitment to the values of the City
•     Our dedication to making Middletown a special place to live, work and play
•     Our resolve to present Middletown as a community with a “bright past” and a “brighter future”
•     Our unending realization that the work we do is very important and that our commitment is one of dedication and honor

We include this message as part of every new employee orientation and ask the employee to sign off that they received, understood and are ready to implement The Middletown Way in their daily work.

In February of this year, I rolled out an employee recognition program that identifies when employees meet this ideal. We cover both The Middletown Way and recognize employees meeting this standard at every meeting.

We’re not perfect by any means, but things have changed. I hope you’ll see that as we move forward.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Douglas Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2016 at 9:08am
Second, on your list.   And again, we're discussing, not ambushing....

I started with the City in 2005 as City Prosecutor. Some of the questions you are asking about are way before my time and none of the employees and Council members who were involved in those decisions are around anymore. Some of them have even died.

I'm happy to discuss what I know about, but in some of those questions, the people involved are long gone and not available and the records, if they existed, are long gone.

I can offer you my opinion on some of the older questions, but it will just be my opinion and speculation, not fact.

On the stuff that I can answer, many of your questions I could talk about for hours, so we'll have to give some thought as to how to organize this in some way that might actually be helpful. I'm open to ideas on how to do that.

I can tell you my opinion quickly on many of these things, and that opinion is, "While I'm not happy with where we are, how we got there is less important to me."

Council handed me the keys to the City two years ago. I got the City in the condition it is in. My job is to try to move us forward.

I don't have a lot of time to worry about why we brought in Section 8 vouchers before I got here, because it does nothing to help me moving forward. Simple fact is that we did bring in those vouchers and we have to deal with it.

I don't know of a single city employee or council member from that time (1999-2003) that is still involved with the city, so I'm just not worried about it anymore. It simply is the situation that we deal with moving forward.

Your anger is real and I understand it completely. At this point, however, it doesn't move us forward. In places where we could have or should have and didn't... bottom line is we didn't. That's where I have to start working from.

We'll keep talking....
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote What A City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2016 at 11:59am
Unfortunately, Gilleland's administration has ruined many city resident's trust in city government. Before her time, there wasn't an issue. Many of the points I made are a result of her guidance. IMO, her administrative plan for the city brought the city to it's knees. Her administration sponsored and grew exclusion for the citizens with their government representation. A lot of "behind the scenes" activities with the inner circle that seemed to operate in a secretive manner for the most part. Gilleland, nor did any of her inner circle, listened to the people and what they wanted for their city. It was her way or the highway. I was told that she operated the internal mechanism of the city building in the same way. Motivation by fear seemed to be the theme. Vindictiveness toward all who opposed her seemed to be the outcome. You are dealing with the aftermath of that time period to this day. Because of this created environment, the trust factor is still lacking for me.

Observation in your post......your words here.......(and I'm not trying to "ambush" you here but it is what it is in your own words.....clarification needed perhaps????

"We all have bad days and we all make mistakes, but I’ve worked hard the past two years to listen and to open lines of communication and to remove people from the organization who do not believe as I do"

Again, "to remove people from the organization who do not believe as I do". Did you mean for this to mean as it sounds? IMO, it sounds a tad bit vindictive, dictatorial and not open minded as you have espoused in other thoughts in your post here. Sounds like you could be a "my way or the highway" type manager. An open minded manager capable of digesting all points of view would entertain ALL types of thinking, wouldn't they? Your post tells me that you will crucify, to the point of termination, anyone who would offer a different point of view. If so, this re-enforces my distrust in a one on one. If you would consider doing this to an employee, you could call out your attack dogs on Joe Citizen with anything from police harassment, to placing a resident on a "do not provide service to this residence" order to a surveillance scenario singling out certain residents. It is not totally out of the question, especially with any government entity. Government, by reputation, has grown the distrust.

Now, to answer your question with an honest answer. No, I do not know anyone who has been retaliated against by the city but if I were a betting person, my money would be on the possibility that someone has, knowing past members of city government. Perhaps someone reading this could provide you with a specific event where retaliation was used toward a citizen. By the way, I had heard that an owner of rental properties was having an issue bordering on harassment by the city and that a lawsuit was in the works. Don't know if that is true or not. Just speculating here. Don't know if citing low income people for paint peeling and property issues when they can't afford to do the repairs borders on city harassment or not.

This "Middletown Way" sounds good. Many points where you and your government friends have a lot of work to do in convincing long time residents, who know the past, that it has any clout to it. We long timers have seen it all and have lived through the best of times.......and, since the 80's, the worst of times here.

Anger? Yep, got a lot of it as I've seen my city when there was prosperity and then taken to the trash heap since the 80's. It has never recovered as I see it and is overwhelmed with issues today.........many of the issues created by very poor decisions by people who came before you in your city building. Little common sense in government is a sad thing to watch, especially when you have seen it for three decades.

Now, how about that community meeting so that the public can overcome that feeling of distrust/retaliation in/from their government and where the people can get their thoughts across without the traditional roadblocks?
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Douglas Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2016 at 2:55pm
I am happy to clarify. It is absolutely my way or the highway on how we treat the public. We often don't have the answer you want or have to give you bad news of some type (We are turning your water off for nonpayment, etc.). We often don't interact with residents unless you need something from us or something bad has happened and you need our help. We interact with the public with integrity and respect and compassion... period.   

If my staff can't treat the public that way, then I'll retrain. If they continue to disrespect our residents, then yes, they have to go.

I won't apologize or back off of that.

My staff is completely able to bring different viewpoints on what and how we are doing things. Feel free to ask them how they feel about bringing new ideas forward. My city manager blog invites comments and I publish them all, positive and negative. Intelligent people can often come to different conclusions on the best way to proceed.

I can explain why I do what I do, but there are always alternative ways to get things done.

This forum is open if anyone wants to respond publicly or privately with an act of retaliation from my administration. It will be investigated and publicly disclosed.

On the Middletown Way, when I rolled it out, I explained to the employees that people aren't going to believe it with one good experience. It may be about the fifth time that they go, "maybe some things are changing" and about seven good experiences before they start believing. All the more reason to start impressing you now. I have at least six more good deeds to go, lol.

My schedule stays booked out about two weeks at a time. When and where would we like to set something up? We may only get through one or two topics the first time, but it's a start.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote What A City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2016 at 8:17pm
I am impressed by your willingness to entertain thoughts and ideas from the general citizenry. The venue? Evening hours in the 5PM to 9PM range would probably draw the largest audience of participants.  Has to be advertised well in advance to fit interested people's schedule. Word of mouth doesn't work. I would suspect the arena to be the council chambers or a larger venue perhaps offered by the Seniors Center and a banquet room. Beside yourself, I'd like to see the entire council attend and participate. As mentioned before, no rules adopted by the usual players such as Mr. Mulligan. Like to see another angle to the rules other than the controlled methods used in council meetings of a three minute time limit and then one gets shut off. Agree, this may go very slowly and may not gain alot of ground in one session. Almost certain to take several sessions to entertain all comments if the first goes well. 

The impact of this discussion may have been reduced if council members, and perhaps past city managers, would have continued the community forums that were once available to the people. When that stopped, the people lost any opportunity to participate in a freelance type of meeting with their city leaders and were held hostage to the three minute comments portion of a council meeting. Perhaps that was done intentionally as some council members didn't want the hassle of the citizen's anger and approach. Or, perhaps they didn't care what the people thought after they were elected. Same old crap from some of them. When they wanted your vote, they would actually talk to you and tell you all they would do for you such as LISTEN TO YOUR ISSUES.  After they got your vote, they could care less. Imagine that. KInda makes them look like hypocrites now doesn't it. 

"Your way or the highway" in how they treat the public. Ok, I was mistaken when I thought you indicated this is how you treat the people who work for you if they disagreed with you as to gameplan. 
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Douglas Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2016 at 8:13am
I can do an evening meeting with some time to schedule it out. This started out as me inviting you to talk and keeps getting bigger. We'll have to keep working on the trust thing.

I'm happy to answer questions, but I don't have a lot of interest in finding the most unhappy 200+ people who hate the city and see if they can all come together for one night to beat up on the City Manager.

How would you feel about something not quite so big until we get this started and have some success and then we can expand it? I'd be happy to sit down with the Middletown USA frequent posters as a group. You, Viet Vet, Spider, Vivian and a few others and start with that group. If I can answer your questions without getting my head taken off, then we can expand it out to a larger group and you folks might even help keep it civil.

City Council will probably not be there. I haven't discussed this with them and they were not part of my offer. Please remember though, that the city charter forbids City Council to be involved in operations of the city. They are a policy setting body only. Some of the policy questions you've asked can only be answered at this point with speculation. None of the council members involved in most of those decisions are still around. The City Manager steers the ship and Council approves the direction.
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2016 at 7:28am
What a surprise!!! Mr. Adkins opens his door anytime anywhere to the blowhards on this site and all we hear is crickets!
Typical......

Image result for crickets
Middletown... Bright past BRIGHTER FUTURE!!!
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2016 at 10:07am
And the real beneficiary is......................

What do the new Eye Institute, AK Research Center and I-75 apartments have in common?

City of Middletown Employment Tax Revenues -- all three of these developments are situated in Warren County and  don't generate revenues for Middletown.

Butler County Property Tax Revenues -- all three of these development are situated in Warren County and don't generate revenues for Middletown schools, etc.

Note to MiddieMom -- your trite, meaningless pontifications provide humor for MUSA blog participants.  What are your credentials relative to commercial and residential real estate, community revitalization and economic development?
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2016 at 11:38am
ANALytical, don't be so uptight. I merely presented a fact, Mr. Adkins called you all out and the MUSA know-it- alls are predictably silent. NO  ONE has taken him up on his generous offer to meet with you all on his own time. NO ONE!!

Also ANAL, there really is no need to lash out at a simple stay at home mother. You all have all the answersWacko. With one post Mr. Adkins has effectively neutered all of you. Reply to me all you want, I'm sure you all are frustrated that you can't compete in the arena of ideas with Mr. Adkins so you pick your little battles with me. I sit back sipping my wine at night and laugh at how all of you dominant monkey males thump your chests behind your little computer screens in total anonymity but, when you get called out, you show your true colors, cricket. 
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2016 at 2:55pm
Many residents continue to wonder what criteria Larry Mulligan and City Council utilized prior to proclaiming the accomplishments of Doug Adkins as one justification for his proposed $25,000 salary increase.

Consider the following from a cost/benefit perspective:

1) AK Steel Research Facility -- How many city residents will be employed at the new facility in Warren County?  What will be the cumulative loss of city employment taxes be?  What is the total city subsidy provided to AK Steel to accomplish this facility relocation to Warren County ($2,000.000+).  What will be the cumulative loss of county property tax revenues (schools, etc.)?

2) Eye Institute Facility -- How many city residents are employed at this new facility in Warren County?  What is the cumulative loss of city employment taxes?  What is the cumulative loss of county property tax revenue (schools, etc.)?

3) I-75 Multi-Family Apartment Complex -- How many city residents will be employed at this new project in Warren County?  What will Warren County gain from new employment taxes?  What will Warren County gain in property tax revenue be (schools, etc.)?

It appears that Warren County, not the City of Middletown, should be paying for the $25,000 salary increase for Doug Adkins given his role in helping to facilitate this economic development?
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2016 at 3:26pm
Analytical,
Unless I'm mistaken these facilities are in the City of Middletown even though they are in Warren County.  It's true that Butler County won't get the property tax money, but the City of Middletown wouldn't have received that any way.  Middletown will still receive the income tax.  I think that the mall is also in Warren county and the city of Middletown.  The only loser is the Middletown City Schools as they will lose the property tax revenue.  However, these are better in Warren county/Middletown than losing them all together...like AK's headquarters.
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2016 at 10:07pm
Again, more complaining behind your screens. Mr. Adkins has told you all he will meet with you. Why the persistent complaining on this site as opposed to taking him up on his offer? It's a rhetorical question as we all know the answer. This site and your opinions to move this city forward are now irrelevant. Congratulations.

Chirp Chirp
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2016 at 10:22pm
It would be nice if the real question could be answered by Mr Adkins. Which is why he now wants to change what was negotiated in his contract. Why should he receive $25,000 all at once. Why could he not receive some now, some later and some in the future. Maybe $15,000 now then $10,000 each year for four years. According to his accomplishments. JMO
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2016 at 12:13am
Again, blowhards, Mr. Adkins has said he would hold a forum for all of you to answer your questions. Instead of taking him up on this generous offer you all continue to ask questions behind your little monitors. You all talk the talk but, when it is time to walk the walk..... Chirp chirp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic