FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just Common Sense

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just Common Sense
    Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 3:23pm
“What if Middletown” used some common sense?

History is repeating itself before our very eyes.   And as usual, not in a good way. As a life long resident of Middletown, I am ashamed of what has happened to our city. I remember when we were All American and how proud we were.

Remember your ancient history class --- the fall of Rome --- the main cause, lusting after POWER! And the ruling class took total CONTROL and usurped all POWER by taxing the lower classes so heavily that they could no longer exist. Corruption was rampant in all aspects of their government as everyone involved maneuvered to take a share of the spoils. Rome fashioned itself after the admired Greek civilization, a self described democracy (only for the wealthy), but they collapsed, too. Beginning to sound familiar? Now, think again about these quotes:

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

“Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States.” Ronald Reagan

Were Jefferson and Reagan spot on? Doesn’t that describe our present problems? Compare us to a wide variety of surrounding cities which are prospering because they welcomed and helped develop a business tax base which is fair and healthy for everyone, not just the wealthy and their cronies. There’s Monroe (our neighbor), Lebanon, Springboro, Mason, West Chester, etc.   They cultivated good will toward prospective businesses instead of constantly putting up barriers, such as, the abusive use of regulations by the outlandish number of OVERLAPPING bureaucracies concerning “historic Middletown.” (ie. O’Reilly’s Auto Parts)   Then should that hurdle be made, Planning and Zoning, MMF, DMI, and so on must also peruse for any possible tiny flaw which might have been overlooked. That’s really welding the use of POWER in the worst possible way. And we must remember that our tax dollars are paying for or subsidizing the bureaucrats who are ruining us. They are revitalization’s worst enemy!!!

While I think very highly of this forum, where we can freely express our concerns, we are only preaching to the choir. In order to gain any support for corrective action, we must take our complaints beyond the confines of this forum. I mentioned weeks ago, when the fiscal cliff was revealed in the Journal-News, that now was the time to send our complaints to the State Auditor’s website. There’s still time if you haven’t done so, and get as many friends as possible to do the same. We definitely need more Middletown citizens to be aware, informed and involved because Council and Adkins are obviously are not going to do this voluntarily. But the tax paying voters can organize, bring petitions and vote to end such nonsensical CONTROL!!!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 6:24pm
ClapClapAs always, very well said. ClapClap
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 6:36pm
whismom:

"We definitely need more Middletown citizens to be aware, informed and involved because Council and Adkins are obviously are not going to do this voluntarily. But the tax paying voters can organize, bring petitions and vote to end such nonsensical CONTROL!!!!"

Yep, agree, BUT........we tried to organize some community participation, meeting Sundays at the library years ago. Thirty showed up for the initial meeting and from meeting #2 until disbanding, we had the same 5-8 people show. Even had ex-council members Tony Marconi and Anita Scott Jones show up one time to discuss the funds, voodoo finances and budget. Had a road/street repair presentation/discussion one meeting. Info was presented by a member of the street/repair committee at the time. Unlike a typical council meeting, there was actual dialogue and factual discussion from everyone. No three minute time limit nonsense on speaking and a nice exchange of ideas. Only problem was, no one from the city was there to learn how to conduct a free and open discussion. Unlike council, we actually contributed to the discussion, asked questions with no one pre-programmed to nod yes like a bobblehead in the back car window.

Nick Kidd organized a few meetings at the old Montgomery Ward store on University years ago. He had the same problem getting people interested in their town.

All of this disinterest works in favor of council, city leaders and most of the city agenda people most of us have disagreed with for the better part of this forum's existence. Adkins and company are counting on an uncaring community as they continue to enjoy a lack of any serious mass resistance to their gameplan.

As long as the general populace remains divided or disinterested in their city, and could care less what the city manager, council or the downtown people do, we, who want a different direction for the city, will not see any change at all. We have the numbers to demand change but it does no good if the numbers aren't united. Apparently the city leaders haven't done anything drastic enough to warrant a lynch mob mentality as yet.

People like Adkins, Picard and all the people on that side of the fence who always get their way without giving a dam what the people outside the realm of influence want, will always win. We who want change will always lose........UNLESS a miracle happens and suddenly, without any reason, people start giving a crap about how poorly this city has been, and is being run. In the last four decades, this city has been totally ruined and trashed due to poor leadership and incompetent decisions over the years. If it were not true, we wouldn't be in the pathetic shape we are in now.

Good suggestion but falls under the "been there, done that" folder. The apathy in this city is epidemic and the frustration level for many of us has hit an all time high on certain occasions.

How do you get people to show? Perhaps a well advertised bribe. A community cookout providing free food and some drinks. Some games of interest for most? Some entertainment followed by the meeting. Still don't know if most would stay after being bribed. Knowing the "who cares about this city" attitude from the general public, there might not be an answer as to how to lure people to a community meeting. Apathy may have no answer as to a cure.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 9:19pm
VietVet -

Despite the significant medical challenges that your dear wife has encountered over the past number of yours, you remain steadfast in providing us with reasonable, common sense suggestions and solutions.  MUSA participants should be indebted to you for the hours of research that helps to form your frequent commentary.  GOD bless your wife, you and your son.  People do listen to what you share on this blog.
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 11:22pm
Dear VietVet,

Your points are well taken….. BUT, matters are much worse now than they were years ago when Nick Kidd drew crowds of as many as 300 at a time. I was there…. It’s my opinion that the opposition then running against Kidd for mayor had to scramble really hard to muster his defeat. They were so afraid of him because he represented the truth and wanted to do the right thing for ALL of Middletown. They couldn’t take the chance of having their self serving game plan exposed. So, unfortunately they won, maybe due in part to apathy and misinformation…. BUT, Kidd told me that he had received a letter of congratulations from the State of Ohio on his election as mayor. That strikes me as very strange. At the time he didn’t think much about that letter. On later reflection… well who knows what might have happened. And I have witnessed purposeful mistreatment of Kidd by city bureaucracy. It was especially mean-spirited when he was ill and unable to defend himself.

The matter of getting people informed and involved IS a major concern, which may be confronted with the help of our like minded forum friends. And it will take all of us, in a concerted effort, to accomplish any real change. We need younger, thoughtful (versus power hungry) candidates to run and take the two seats on council which are up for election in November. If we have provoked enough thought in one other of the three remaining council members to bring them to our side we would have a majority. Time is of the essence!!! I’m thinking of a mailing campaign using a list of Middletown voters from Butler County. Nick Kidd is already on board and willing to lead a focused campaign, write petitions and see that we get enough signatures to take them to a vote. The mailer might announce meetings to take place as well as inform citizens of the serious problems we’re facing.

And perhaps you forgot my mention of getting letters of complaint to the State Auditor by our forum friends. What better ally can there be? I have a reply to my own email to that office, saying that my complaint would be investigated. My complaint had a number attached to it which may (or may not) indicate mine as the 49th complaint on Middletown. That was weeks ago. I hope there are more now.

I have a suspicion that we have put a scare in them already!! Can’t stop now!! We know they monitor our every word because they make corrections wherever they can.

And VietVet, I do not know you personally. So I was glad Analytical made a comment of appreciation and wish to express agreement.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2017 at 6:13am
Analytical and I have had an "off forum" talk. A good person who cared about the city and was not (and I like this phrase from all managerial leadership) "not on board" with the gameplan because he possessed a moral character which didn't allow him to "play the game" in the cesspool that encompasses the working environment nowadays. The ones who want to do the right thing are always punished by the good old boy system of inner circle politics, played daily in every dam company and every dam government entity in this country. I see it daily here at Wright-Patt. Disgusting behavior by so-called "professionals". They picked on Nick Kidd unmercifully on his properties as I remember.

I appreciate the favorable comments by Analytical and yourself. I throw my two cents worth in as I give a dam about my city and what they have done to it. Pathetic. I consider spiderjohn. Mike Presta and Vivian Moon as being on the "righteous side of things" also. They care deeply about this city and are also frustrated by the negative changes that have occurred in past decades. They remember the great city this once was and have lived through it's slow destruction to it's present state. I'm sure there are many more out there that feel the same but choose not to voice their opinions.

While you are circulating petitions, I would suggest you also go to the Butler County Board of Elections and get enough petitions for a recall of all the city council members while you are out and about obtaining signatures.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic