FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Housing - from last council meeting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Chief Muterspaw View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Muterspaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2017 at 10:20pm
All I'm saying is that we have a Manager and Council that cares. It hasn't always been that way. Give this administration a chance and let's all move forward together to improve this city. I will never convince you or get you to change your minds, not that I want to, but I know how us at the City building want positive change as much as you do. Give Doug a chance. He's working hard to clean it up. Have a great week...hope things are great for all of you.
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 10:20am
Chief Muterspaw

Your sincere concern for our city has never been in doubt. This forum is trying to tell city hall how we feel and what we think about our city government. It’s expressed here because council has made it impossible to express our concerns publicly at council meetings. Opposing views and even discussion of alternative ideas falls on deaf ears. The City Manager has had total control of the city building and Council for the past two years. Doug has already had his chance and his plan has failed miserably. In this two year time frame, a minimum of revitalization has been almost exclusive to downtown. Monetary aid and favoritism has been bestowed on a chosen few. That chosen few have squandered the considerable funds and favors.

The nice newer businesses downtown offer only a few, low paying entry level jobs. I hope I’m wrong , but I doubt that many new downtown businesses can survive. Where and who are their clientele? The homeless drug addicts?? Now Doug wants to blame our problems on what HE perceives as housing shortfall … problems brought on by city MISmanagement. He is punishing small home owners whom the city could be helping by using available government programs. The pest infested, drug addict occupied, eyesores (that should have been among the 400 properties already razed) are still standing while the retiree who may be unable to mow his grass is harassed and fined out of existence.   Doug admits to tutoring council before meetings and they approve of anything he wants, like good little sheep.   Doug’s blatant MISmanagement was the cause of Middletown losing management and funding of HUD. He can not or will not see any point if view other than his own. WE may never convince HIM that his plan is taking us backward not forward or at best we are just marking time. He is repeating the previous administrations’ mistakes. THIS IS WHERE WE NEED TO MAKE POSITIVE CHANGE.

We need schools that perform academically. New buildings don’t educate the kids.    Our swimming pools are gone. Our beautiful golf course is gone.     AK Corporate is gone. AK Research is still here, just on the other side of town (no new jobs). None of the larger industrial businesses we lost have been replaced.   The city fought public outcry against welcoming the high polluting Sun Coke plant. We have increasing problems with drug addicts and dealers, thieves and prostitutes. And city hall keeps saying everything is just fine.                                                                                                                      
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 4:24pm
Chief Muterspaw -

I believe that Doug's concern for Middletown and desire to improve the city aren't  priority issues for many MUSA participants.

The above personal and professional commitments, however, are imperatives for any Community Revitalization Director or City Manager to succeed in the city.  An absence of either or both in a distressed community like Middletown would help foster:  questionable priorities and policies, lost or diminished revitalization accomplishments, stalled projects, re-developer favoritism, poor utilization of HUD and other taxpayer's funds, etc.,

Regarding community revitalization over the past eight years, MUSA participants have been closely following Doug's priorities, policies, plans and programs from a cost/benefit community betterment standpoint.  In a sense you might call this an unofficial performance evaluation.  Alternative policies, plans and programs have been presented herewith to help provide Doug and city council with other unsolicited revitalization approaches that aren't mostly focused on massive residential property demolition with accompanying aggressive housing code enforcement (especially in older neighborhoods).  

At this juncture in the city's history,, it''s uncertain as as to which priorities that Doug and city councilors conceive for short- and long-term community revitalization strategies.  It will be interesting to see their course of action from a budgetary and programmatic  perspective.  It remains my hope that enhanced and meaningful citizens participation would prevail over that of a "city hall knows best philosophy."

Thank you and your staff again for the services that you provide.

Nelson Self
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Chief Muterspaw Chief Muterspaw wrote:

All I'm saying is that we have a Manager and Council that cares. It hasn't always been that way. Give this administration a chance and let's all move forward together to improve this city. I will never convince you or get you to change your minds, not that I want to, but I know how us at the City building want positive change as much as you do. Give Doug a chance. He's working hard to clean it up. Have a great week...hope things are great for all of you.

Ok, Chief Muterspaw. I will issue a challenge to you. If, as you claim, council and the city manager care about the city, and are moving forward to improve the city, how about setting up a community meeting to form a dialogue between the city officials, including yourself, and the mainstream residents of this city. How about all council members, who seem very reluctant and non-existent here, participating along with the city manager and other department directors explain to us your gameplan and, more importantly, actually letting us respond with no time limits as is in the council meeting format. Three minutes is usually not enough time to get you points across.

As to the comment that Adkins is working hard, I have a response. It is one thing to work hard. Nothing wrong with that. But, if one works hard with the wrong focus and the wrong direction, the hard work is wasted and does not benefit the city. Like the schools, not enough progress over these many decades has been made, even with the most laid back effort. The city leaders have been dragging a-- for decades as to viable city progress.

The HUD program, from the start, was not the proper focus nor the correct direction. It has devastated the city while targeting low income, crime and city image. The removal and the non replacement of the street repair funds from the 80's are the wrong focus and direction. The removal of blighted homes in the city, leaving empty lots, rather than rebuilding on the demolished lots is the wrong focus and direction. The practice gives an abandoned look to certain parts of the city. The taxpayer millions spent on the downtown dream for an arts mecca is the wrong focus and direction, particularly in a blue collar city like Middletown . The buying of real estate, using taxpayer money, for hundreds of thousands of dollars and then giving the building away to the friends of the city for a buck is the wrong focus and direction. Etc. Etc. There is a pattern here of ignoring the basics and concentrating on the last things this city needs at this point. All the projects now, especially in the downtown area, is ill timed. The downtown project should have been started when the basics were in place. The foundation of this city is crumbling and your city leaders want to make the downtown a showplace. Exactly bass-ackwards. Basics first. Mr. Adkins......Basics first. Roads, sewers, bridges, fire and police service. Let the dam downtown develop through the private sector. No city involvement at all. It is rather obvious, based on all the city screw up attempts, that the city doesn't have a clue how to deal in real estate.

We will be awaiting a city sanctioned community meeting announcement with city officials and the people as the participants.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 7:55am
Ok Chief, the story in the newspaper this morning involving the murder and shooting at the bar on Elliot demonstrates my frustration and I'm sure yours as well. I would imagine much of this is from outside influences brought to this city caused by the environment the city leaders have created. The bad guys are not confined to Middletown people alone.

THIS is exactly what I'm talking about when I mention the ghetto creating environment the city leaders have created here. When they lured this segment of society to this town, they also brought in the residuals like higher crime, more drugs and other criminal activity that keeps your police department overwhelmed and undermanned. THIS is difficult to see when you compare it to what the city was and what the city could have been without the need for federal dollars as revenue. The city leaders could have done it the right way by luring companies creating jobs and the tax money collected from that source instead but they chose to ghetto-up the town. THIS is why I blame the so-called city leaders for the malaise in this town. It falls directly on their shoulders. You can't defend ignorant leadership and you certainly can't defend incompetence. When things like this happen, it lessens the claim by city leaders that the city is improving doesn't it. Between the murders and the pharmacy robberies lately, the city is going in the wrong direction. Is this the best we can do as to attracting quality people to our town or has the bar been lowered as to what we will tolerate and accept here? In the meantime, the city image takes another hit as to attracting decent residents.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Muterspaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 8:07am
I think the point you are all missing is this...

We are paying for the sins of past poor leadership. I'm not afraid to say it. When we brought all those vouchers in, it created a nightmare for us. The current administration and leadership did not do this regardless of what is going on. More than half of our major crimes seem to be by people who originally are from other cities or states, including last night.

Nobody in the city building or council now brought this here. Others who are long gone did. The City leaders now are trying to clean up someone else's mess. You mentioned I cannot defend poor leadership. No I can't. But I can tell you the leadership the brought all of this into the city is gone and has been for a while.

That's pretty much where we are at in a nutshell. Like I said I'm never going to convince you of that. Nobody is more sick of dealing with that then our police officers and firefighters I can tell you that.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 8:51am
It is OUR mess unfortunately
At this point it doesn't matter who or when or why it is here
If you live here and/or operate a business here, you are aware and see it every day

Keep the heat on the thugs, thieves and violence--whatever it takes
Also on the bars and shops where you know that they do their thing--you can pressure these businesses and cause them to leave

Maybe have officers stop in popular local businesses to talk to owners/managers about exactly what and who are the concerns--once these businesses have had enough and leave, it is too late.

Admin should PROMOTE organizations like our former Central Ave Businesswatch instead of pretending that they don't exist and hoping that they eventually and quietly go away(it did!) Police involvement was outstanding there, and the business owners were beyond appreciative.
Admin?--not so much--why??

Where is our Chamber and what are they saying??

We have resource officers in the schools---remove the troublemakers and charge both their parents and them appropriately. Show everyone that you(and WE) are very serious.

Turn Middletown in to the LAST place the junkies thieves and thugs want to be located. Eventually the stores and quality of life amenities will return. Until then......

And maybe don't worry as much about what is said here----there is truth in what most are saying---we just need to fix it now.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Muterspaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 10:13am
Already doing most of that...

If it was that easy to get everyone on board it would've happened already. You know that. Have a great week.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 11:07am
SpiderJohn -

Question 1:  Is it prudent for Mr. Adkins to continue his priorities, policies, plans and programs of the past eight years to address Middletown's most urgent community betterment needs in both the short and longer term?

Question 2:   Are there other sustainable, cost-efficient, results-oriented approaches to economic development (job creation), "downtown" commercial and neighborhood revitalization (housing) to be given serious consideration by Mr. Adkins? 

Question 3:  Is there value in Mr. Adkins accomplishing the "meaningful ongoing involvement" of the private sector (business owners, former target area residents, mortgage bankers, REALTORS, urban redevelopers, etc.) in jointly assessing and addressing current market deficiencies in Middletown?

Middletown is at a crossroads.  Fresh thinking is the order of the day.

Nelson Self
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 11:16am
Chief

The point that you may be missing is that the past poor leadership has been replaced with more poor leadership.

Section 8 housing was, at first, under control for a few years. Until Nelson Self was pushed out, the program was a plus for Middletown. But the (then) admin decided to to ignore the rules and misuse the program in ways that should never have happened. DOUG THEN KNOWINGLY CONTINUED THE MISUSE.   The current admin IS NOT BLAMELESS. It’s agreed, the resulting problems certainly are a heavy price to pay by ALL of us.

The victims of the drug dealers and addicted thieves pay the heaviest. Our police pay too. But a lot of them are not residents of Middletown and they can go home to get away from the “nightmare” when off duty, our beleaguered resident victims have to live with it.

Too continue … the loss of our golf course, Sebald Park, Bicentenial Commons all occured under the current admin!!! The failed attempt to revitalize downtown has drained the city coffers … all current admin!!!

Note has been taken that VietVet’s challenge to you for a community meeting has been duly ignored.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Chief Muterspaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 11:54am
Here you go. Tuesday, June 13 at Java Johnny's at 6 PM. I will have some of our staff with me there to answer all of your questions. It is after work hours and a few weeks away so plenty of time for you to plan to show up.

Since I have been chief we have spoken at, presented, paneled or forumed at over 90 events or sit downs. We do this all the time and this is nothing new. This is a chance for you to come voice your concerns to me directly regarding police activities and I will be more than happy to answer all of your questions straightforward and without fail.

I hope to see you all there so we can put faces with names and not communicate over a keyboard, which is so much easier to do than in person. Face to face personal communication and interaction is where it is at.

See you then
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 1:16pm
Thank you for the response Chief. Refreshing approach. Was hoping by now that the city manager would have done this in a community gathering rather than a one on one as he suggested. The one on one would allow Mr. Adkins to target individuals and would have never worked due to the trust factor.

By staff, do you plan on bringing just your police department staff or staff from the city building? Are you planning to invite the city manager and the council members as well?

Will it be an open forum where any question will be fielded or are there boundaries as to the questions asked?

You can associate a name to the person at the meeting but I doubt the link will be there to associate a face to a screen name here. Too incriminating.Vindictivefactorenters the picture. There is still an adversarial posture between the city officials and the MUSA participants on certain occasions.

An opportunity to ask questions to city officials is all we ask. A fair honest answer is all we expect. A common ground ending with understanding from both sides is all we can hope for.

Appreciate this. A tad bit disappointed that it didn't come from the city manager himself in this manner but the police chief has made the offer instead.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Muterspaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 1:26pm
Vet, I am an extension of the city manager and I work for him. I will tell you that he is never shied away from meeting with anyone and he has participated in many community forums over the last two years with the police department. I don't know what his schedule is and I know he is busy like we are. Good to connect with you again, I do remember you from across the street and you were always pleasant to talk to.

I can't speak on behalf of him or council if they will be there or not but I will make sure staff from the police department is there. I simply made the offer only because I know that there are a lot of questions about what we do and how we are doing things. I will be more than happy to answer what I can and so will the people I am bringing.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 1:48pm
[QUOTE=Analytical] SpiderJohn -

Question 1:  Is it prudent for Mr. Adkins to continue his priorities, policies, plans and programs of the past eight years to address Middletown's most urgent community betterment needs in both the short and longer term?

I don't know. Often I feel that we are so deep into a plan that we refuse to adjust or change course. I have different priorities, yet I am not a decision-maker.

Question 2:   Are there other sustainable, cost-efficient, results-oriented approaches to economic development (job creation), "downtown" commercial and neighborhood revitalization (housing) to be given serious consideration by Mr. Adkins? 

Obviously the answer is "YES". I would imagine alternatives/modifications to be considered, though flexibility does not seem to be a strong consideration in Admin.

Question 3:  Is there value in Mr. Adkins accomplishing the "meaningful ongoing involvement" of the private sector (business owners, former target area residents, mortgage bankers, REALTORS, urban redevelopers, etc.) in jointly assessing and addressing current market deficiencies in Middletown?

Obviously "YES" again. A broad mix of opinions and unity behind decisions would go a long way towards putting more on board and on the same page to our basic community goals.

Chief--I admire your activity here, and have confidence in your dept.and you. I also hold faith in Mr.A to eventually get it right. I can vouch that he listens and responds. We simply can't agree on some of the method. Time will tell, just who has fell and who'se been left behind----when you go your way and I go mine.....(Dylan quote)

A meeting with only police is a kind gesture. I expect most ?s would be towards Admin and Council. If they aren't represented by both body and mind, I don't see the purpose.....
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 2:03pm
I have many more questions to ask the city manager and the councilmembers than I do the police department and their operations and agendas. IMO, the police and fire departments are some of the bright spots in this city. Have used the medics on numerous occasions for my wife's trips to Atrium. Excellent service and compassion. Heck, the police even called my house one night to remind me to shut the garage door I forgot to close. Excellent vigilance from your officers. I also called 911 to report a suspicious person looking into cars in the neighborhood one night. Two cruisers showed up in a matter of minutes. Great response from your department Chief. If the city building's operations and effectiveness were half as good as the police and fire operations, we wouldn't be having these "altercations/discussions/arguments" between the city, their supporters and MUSA.

While we are on the subject of who will be attending, I'd like to make a formal request that, if time allows, Mr. Adkins and at least three of the five council people show up for this. Otherwise, there may be a lot missing as to fulfillment from many on the limitations in asking questions and receiving thorough answers.
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 2:31pm
Anybody on this board who doesn't attend Chief Muterspaw's little get together is a complete hypocrite.  There....I said it.

Sure - I'd love to make demands all over the place that Mr. Adkins and the council must show before I will - but let's face it.  After reading everything here - I would assume that they believe they would be walking in to a pretty hostile environment.

The way to get the council and Mr. Adkins, et. al., to appear at a proper public forum is.....well, baby steps.

Look - all of us here must go to this event and meet and greet the Chief and his staff and whomever shows for the event.  We need to listen, participate, talk, thank and criticize - and do it peacefully and on an even keel - then I bet you might find some more willingness from the powers that be to sit down and talk at another date.

Look guys - it takes time to build a village.  It takes far longer to re-build a village.  I think this is a great first step.  The Chief (I know much of his family and have met him in a past-life) is not the kind of person who is going to be vindictive toward any individual over their opinion about any given matter.  Seriously.

I put the date on my calendar, and I encourage everyone here to do the very same.  You can't say you want change - and then balk at the very first change that is made......

Bob
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 2:58pm
buddalite:

"Sure - I'd love to make demands all over the place that Mr. Adkins and the council must show before I will"

Whoa, wait a minute buddhalite!!! I never "demanded" anything. If you will read my post again. I said I'd like to make a formal request, which is far different than a demand. We have no power to demand anything on this forum or as citizens......unless we have overwhelming numbers as clout and recall them as a consequence.

And, I never said I wouldn't show if Adkins and council didn't show. You are embellishing what was actually said, which happens quite often here, especially from the pro-city/pro-Adkins crowd. They like to twist what is actually said here too.

buddalite:

"The way to get the council and Mr. Adkins, et. al., to appear at a proper public forum is.....well, baby steps."

On the other hand, council, whom the people placed and paid for in that position in the first place and is suppose to represent the people but never do, and the city manager, hired and paid for indirectly by the people through the council, in representing the people, are suppose to listen to the wants and wishes of the people and execute. The city manager and council are NOT suppose to just go their merry way and create their own agenda and ignore the people in doing so.

That's the perfect world as opposed to the way it works at all levels of government. Once elected, they ignore the people who put them there. It is happening here.

buddalite:

"You can't say you want change - and then balk at the very first change that is made"

True
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 3:31pm
Okay Vet,

Excuse me for simply reiterating what was IMPLIED by your post.  I meant no offense - but you did kinda slap the Chief instead of engaging and taking the first step.

See - here's the second problem in Middletown.  You and I should be on the same side, my friend.  I'm not mad at you - I stand by my words.  If you don't attend over some bull about the right people not being there, you're not helping  - you're not helping.

See - the problem today is we're not helping.  Look, I can lead a horse to water but you know - I've tried it - I can't make that horse drink.  What we've done thus far here is find a concerned citizen who happens to be part of the local government - who is willing to listen, willing to accept criticism, willing to accept solutions (not just complaints) and the first thing we do is knock him down?

Either we are part of the solution or we're not.  I want to be part of the solution.  This is step #1 - if you don't go through with it with an open mind and heart - forget the whole thing - you'll never be part of the solution.

Bob
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 4:30pm
First, I find it both commendable and proactive for Chief Muterspaw and his officers to plan to meet with the public on June 13th.  This opportunity for interactive dialogue should benefit all attendees and the city as a whole.

To me, the real opportunity though is for Mr. Adkins to host and participate in a "Community Betterment Forum."  Such an event would empower citizens to obtain insight regarding city priorities, policies, plans and programs.  It would also provide a now mostly non-existent vehicle for the public to voice their opinions on the status of "downtown" ventures, older neighborhood activities (massive residential demolition and aggressive code enforcement) plus consideration of best practices "alternative approaches" to improve market conditions of a distressed city like Middletown.

For some time now Middletown has had a nominal citizen participation process when it comes to housing and community development issues.  The aforementioned forum would be a good starting point for city staff to foster a badly needed private-public partnership.

Please give this some thought, Doug.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 4:40pm
Analytical,

I agree with your sentiments regarding the Chief and his officers.  Certainly a great chance to make something happen in Middletown.

Let's give Mr. Adkins a chance to see how this one goes.  I'll bet that if this one goes well, he'll be a lot more apt to participate in future forums.  I don't think it realistic to assume that Mr. Adkins would ever jump info a public forum like we'd all want to see - until he knows that people will be civil, that the discussion will be solution oriented - and you gotta remember - we've (and yes, I said 'we' because I have done it too) been pretty rough on him over time - and he's going to be reluctant to participate in anything related to this forum.

At  least I would be....

Bob
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 5:42pm
nbd
the JJ meeting is a good thing
open gesture for public concerns
they will listen and understand--it will be informative
Dept is here for the entire community
attendance is mandatory??
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 9:36am
buddhalite, spiderjohn, VietVet, Vivian Moon, Whistler'sMom, Mike Presta, etc. -

In closing, how many additional "chances" do Mr. Adkins and city council deserve?  Were millions in taxpayer funds really "invested" for highest and best uses on "downtown" and neighborhood betterment programs?  What has/hasn't happened over the past eight years to successfully address and help remedy so many issues?  And, as per Mr. Adkins, is Section 8 far less of an issue in Middletown because the number of vouchers is purportedly only 850 plus?

The days of HUD "manna from heaven" are over.  Were does Mr. Adkins and city council anticipate finding millions in additional "gap financing" capital to complete stalled projects or to begin others that are contemplated (Studio Theater, etc.)?

The time is now for Mr. Adkins to participate in an on-going substantive dialogue with concerned citizens, local business people, residential and commercial real estate professionals, urban re-developers, mortgage bankers, etc.  Middletown can ill afford eight more years of lost opportunities like the past.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 2:18pm
Analytical,

If you ask me - and you didn't but I don't care - part of the reason that this forum is simply known as the muckrakers of Middletown is that there seems to be an attitude here of 'throw 'em all out - that'll teach 'em!'

You can decide for yourself if that is the way things should happen - but in the real world - things don't always work that way.  You are far more likely to find some common ground, work with people, develop solutions that everyone can live with and work toward your goal.

I refuse to take pot shots at anyone.  I agree that there seems to be a desire by council, et. al., to retain certain city employees in certain jobs whom we might all agree here have failed the city.

Now - where I think the dividing line is....do I really think Mr. Adkins, Mayor Mulligan, Council, etc.....really aimed to hurt our fair city with the policies they have developed and pursued?

I think not.  No one would do such a thing.

The way to fix what is wrong is to take the steps we are taking, work with those in office - show them in a calm collective manner what we think can happen with our city - give them the opportunity to work with us in a professional manner.....

Two outcomes are possible:

1. The powers listen, hear and take to heart the solutions presented.  They change/modify policy and begin to create the community we are looking for.  We have elections - their records stand  - and if they remain, they know they did right.  If not - well, they know what they should have done.  Either way - we get closer with each forum, each meeting, each election to a better, renewed Middletown.

2. They don't listen - and we take it to the streets and use whatever methods we can to replace them.

It's really that simple.  The issue is that as I read back several years here and newspaper articles and such - there's none of this being tried.  There's definitely a lot of complaining - but the community isn't engaged or even the least bit involved.  

That's why I think this is a great first step.  I encourage you to come and be a part of this event - I'm working right now to find a way to bolster this effort and really get a great turnout at the event.  Plus, Analytical, the more people that get involved and come to the forum - the more likely the council, Mayor and even Mr. Adkins are likely to attend....

So - to everyone - let's get involved.  Let's get this out there to the people....

BTW - can someone tell me who 'owns' middletownusa.com - I want to speak with him/her soon....

Bob
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 3:02pm
The more constructive people attending, the better for everyone and more heat on Admin/Council if they choose not to attend or ignore the event.

Public Safety and Admin people don't like being stereotyped and don't all think alike any more than those here posting. We are all individuals and should be looked at similarly.
Approach the gathering with a positive open mind, dedicated to improving dialogue and actions from everyone.

Could be a very positive lead in to the summer!!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 6:15pm
BuddHalite -

Muckraker Meaning "one who inquires into and publishes scandal and allegations of corruption among political and business leaders," popularized 1906 in speech by President Theodore Roosevelt, in reference to "man ... with a Muckrake in his hand" in Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" (1684) who seeks worldly gain by raking filth.

Allegations of corruption and scandal are not the issues of concern.  Debatable, ineffective priorities, policies plans and programs are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic