FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Well... We tried.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Historic House Guy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well... We tried.
    Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 7:19am
After 6 years here we gave up. Sold our house last month and got the hell out. I have really noticed a decline in humanity on Middletown streets over the last 2 years. Druggies, theft, and people screaming at each other on a daily basis. Sirens that are non stop, trash blowing all around, and projects that were started years ago that seem to be standing still. It is a very depressing place to say the least.

We are now in a rural section of Northern KY. A simple 1300 sf house on 12 acres. Hunting and fishing in our own back yard on our own property. Property taxes are half what they were in Middletown and I don't hit a single pot hole on the way home once I get off the interstate. I haven't heard a single siren, train, argument, or horn beep in the 4 weeks we've been here. I've heard slightly more gun shots though but I'm comforted to know they are my distant neighbors sighting in their guns for the coming hunting season.

I hope Middletown can find a way to rise from the ashes but I predict a further decline in the coming years. Glad we were able to raise our kids there without them  falling in with the wrong crowd. It really wasn't that difficult so I have to wonder why so many other kids get stuck in the heroin trap. Our oldest son has been working for AK for about 2 years now and I am thankful for that.

Over the last few months there I've witnessed more police activity than I have ever seen in my life. It's a terrible mess. A guy that moved into a house that shared our ally even lit a freaking cat on fire a few weeks back. Just amazing how many people there seem to have no soul. Heartless and hollow.

Good luck all.
Jason 
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 9:27am
Thank you Jason for your heart felt comments about the current plight of too many older city neighborhoods and their residents.  Your efforts in restoring an older home in Middletown are noted and appreciated.  May GOD bless you and your family in the coming years in rural N. Kentucky.

Over the years, some have endeavored (despite baseless critiques/personal insults) to explore debilitating issues found in impacted areas.  Cost-effective and highest/best use programmatic solutions have been offered.  Best practices ideas from cities with similar problems have been highlighted.  Even a community development practitioner's first-hand assessment of post-2008 priorities, policies, plans and programs may be found.

Major residential property demolition, questionable "downtown" re-development deals and utilizing over 50% of valuable CDBG funds for code enforcement don't seem to have produced promised positive results.  A continuation of the status-quo seems unlikely to generate the "brighter future" that's heard.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 8:30pm
I'm done here. This has been a colossal waste of time

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2017 at 11:37am
Jason, you set a wonderful example of how other (hoped for) "urban pioneers" can help to reclaim central city dwellings in the future via sweat equity and a true sense of community.  Senior city staff and city council could (and should) encourage others to follow in your footsteps.  Thank you again!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2017 at 2:36pm
House Guy entered musa as a pretty cocky newcomer and fired a lot of shots at experienced locals who had accomplished a lot more locally and knew the city far better. To his credit, he believed and worked hard to establish himself, even planning a Central Ave business location that never lived up to the promise. He moved in to a declining neighborhood with good intention, however the downhill slide was obviously too powerful.

Despite our different thinking, all the best to his next effort elsewhjere
Another local hopeful bites the dust!
Follow his footsteps out of here?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2017 at 3:30pm
Spiderjohn, I wasn't cocky at all. I just refused to agree with all the negative's posted in this group. FWI; I doubled my investment in the short time I was there. The writing on the wall for me was when you shut down the store. Things like this matter. When you did that it was obvious to me that even the long term locals/investors didn't care I'm not saying you shouldn't have done it but once you pulled the plug so did I. Turns out it was the most profitable venture I've done in years. Living easy and debt free in Norther KY now. 
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2017 at 3:53pm
So here is what I experienced. I came to this town with a positive attitude. I got met with a ton of negativity here. I pushed back and now I'm being called cocky. I doubled my investment while other life longers have lost their ass or sold the family business. I closed my shop on Central because I decided to buy some land in Kentucky and invest my future there. My company didn't skip a beat. Still covered with work for over a year and counting. I have no competition because I do things no one else doe's any more. I understand my market, where it is and how I need to accomplish my goals. This isn't a "hand me down business that I inherited.It's one that I built with my own two hands. It matters nothing where I decide to "set up shop"

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2017 at 4:03pm
And for what is it worth, I've been in this business for over 30 years. I have a huge following in Historic Preservation. I didn't come here to start a career.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2017 at 4:25pm
So what did you do Mr. Dillman to make this company grow? Care to share your achievements? To me, it looks like you are cashing in and cashing out.

FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2017 at 8:52pm
If you're leaving-just go. No one cares about your slings and arrows. You came, you tried and now you're quitting. Big freakin' deal. Don't let the door hit you on the way out...
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2017 at 4:27am
lol house guy—not going to bother much by explaining anything because you never understand much and never did during your brief time here. Credit to you for successfully raising your children and getting out with something. Still you trashed a giveaway house on sutphin and honestly never did much on central. You were all about yourself and little else. Your whine starting this thread followed by your hypocritical remarks about others here tell it all.

Anyway good luck down there and thanx for your support during your brief stay here. We will all continue to work towards improvement in ways that you never knew about cared about or understood.

Good luck!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2017 at 2:13pm
Sorry asshat, I never ran into you at volunteer days at the Sorg opera house. Trashed the house on Sutphin? A lot of work was done inside. I'm not an idiot willing to have my taxed jacked just because I want to show off an exterior. You're a f**king idiot. If you think you are improving Middletown by bitching about it on some forum and selling Daddy's business then you are a joke. If this is the best of what you old f**ks consider "helping" then I'm even more happy to be gone. Have a nice life old f**k. Maybe you can hire someone to pick up those needles in the spring. lol What a f**king disaster Middletown is and YOU are not "helping". f**king goofball, sell out piece of sh*t.\

FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2017 at 5:08pm
Aren't you gone yet dipsh*t????
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2017 at 6:28pm
I am. So are you. What is your point?

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2017 at 7:49pm
good luck house guy---thanx for your support!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2017 at 6:42pm
Hope you have enough money left to make it John. After all, you sold everything Daddy made to this point. But you keep believing you're some kind of hero and you have all the answers. lol

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2017 at 4:42pm
What a piece of work you are---though it bothers me that you keep bringing up my father. Yes--I should have listened to him when he urged me to sell everything three years prior to when we did. Not only would it have saved me a lot of money and time, I would have been able to better care for my father in his final years. I can't get that time back. Putting it all to bed was neither profitable or enjoyable, especially when I look at what replaced our locations. Everything has a beginning and an end....you have to be very prepared and focused for the end , and realize such when it comes. I watched a lot of bad endings. Brutal and sad.

Never claimed to be any type of hero, and don't know anyone who sees me as such----all your words, guy--I can handle anything that you throw at me--it doesn't matter--I have been called worse by far better.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2017 at 7:40pm
Keep on bitching on Steve. You own this.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2017 at 7:41pm
Poor baby...

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2017 at 7:45pm
Libtard blues... lol

bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2017 at 1:34pm
HH   just have to wonder how many times did your mother drop you on your head?? it for sure made you a idiot!! you need to go smack her for making you a stinking idiot...
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2017 at 7:15pm
Historic House didn't your parents teach you anything about respect? You came you failed don't blame it on the town if your a loser. Now just go away loser 
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2017 at 7:36pm
Bocephus, I came, I invested, found a bunch of assholes, sold, doubled my money, and moved on. lol Merry Christmas to all you losers in this drug infested town...

bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2017 at 12:12pm
HH you were a idiot asshole when came to Middletown!!  and you were a idiot asshole when you moved !! you will be a idiot asshole no matter where you are at...  
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2017 at 2:01pm
Today is the day that many people around the world celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior JESUS CHRIST.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic