FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Delusion, Plain and Simple

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delusion, Plain and Simple
    Posted: Apr 19 2018 at 3:03pm
I just spent the last 2 hours of my life downtown.

I watched as the clock went from 11:30 to Noon to 12:30 to 1:00 and well - all I can say is that there was no crowd anywhere.  There was no lunch rush at the restaurants.  There were few people walking the streets.  There was little foot traffic even at Midd/Cinci State....at LUNCH HOUR!

What are we doing as a city?  Clearly this area of town has fallen downward, and downward and more downward with each passing day - but the constant drumbeat of revitalization and the constant flow of money is more than I can bear.

The latest happening in the Downtown Middletown Wall of Shame (we're building a bigger wall to contain all the plaques commemorating every significant screw up in the city's history) - The Theater.

Only in Middletown is buying a property for $1 then paying more than $400,000 in demolition fees considered a great deal.  I want to know if we're at least taking a reverse commission from whatever real estate agent handled this transaction?  

It is simply delusional to think that the downtown area can, could or will be revitalized.  Due to its inaccessibility, current state of disarray and dilapidation and competition from surrounding communities - can we once and for all stop the insanity?

And yes - spending millions and millions time and time again hoping for something different to occur as a result is the textbook definition of insanity.  Delusion only scratches the surface.
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2018 at 3:48pm
buddhalite, you have just reinforced what we long timers here have talked about for years concerning the downtown area. Some on this forum have been asking the same questions and have the same opinions on the focus and wasted monetary investment down there as well as opinions on the lack of foot traffic most of the time. Looks like there is simply no interest in what they have attempted to offer. Totally out of touch with the demographics of the city IMO.

None of us can understand the insistence by the city leaders to spend millions in this area and to have seen so little return on investment. I am absolutely puzzled by the continued insistence on an arts theme as the main attraction, especially when one knows this is a blue collar city with most living here having no interest whatsoever in the arts and what is offered downtown.

It has been mentioned within these pages that the attempt to build up the downtown is to save and enhance the property values in the S. Main St. area. The thinking is that if the downtown area deteriorates, the S. Main St. area loses property value and lessens the "historic appeal" the residents are trying to maintain. Given Mayor Larry and his family live in the area, one could assume it is to protect him and other "prominent" citizens as to their investment in the S. Main St. area. Knowing how this town has been run the past sixty years, this would not surprise me at all. This town has always protected it's most revered citizens in the past and has always taken care of the friends of city hall in particular.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2018 at 9:49am
Have you ever been downtown in the evening?  

Itsa me, mario!
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2018 at 11:50am
Yep.  See my previous posts.  Not exactly a bastion of commerce.
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic