FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jobs At City Hall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jobs At City Hall
    Posted: Nov 10 2008 at 7:26am
A few months ago, Gilleland announced that she would be looking into each position in city government and possibly eliminating some positions for the purpose of streamlining the operation and saving the city some salary/benefit money. The only news I have heard so far is the creation of the Econ. Devel. "Managers" position to assist the new candidate in the Econ. Devel. Directors slot with their coffee (and other insurmountable tasks). I also read where Ginger Smith has a new position and is not the Public Works Director anymore. (Wonder if she was moved to this "window seat" job because she couldn't handle the Public Works Directorship)Who filled the Director of Public Works position then or was it eliminated? After all, the overseeing of the 5 or so slots under the Director in Public Works was probably overwhelming!           
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2008 at 9:16am
How can you hire an economic development "manager" when you don''t even have the "director" position filled?

Shouldn't the manager be hired AFTER the director, so the manager credentials/personality is in synch with the director's situation and goals?

If this new manager is so qualified, why not just make her the director?

How difficult can it be to replace Bill Murphy?
I haven't noticed any difference in development or business interaction/retention since Mr.Murphy left the position.

All we hear is how they are working with existing business for retention, and visiting business owners. I operate a successful location in ward 2, where I sit in a strip mall that has had no other significant retail operations for over 20 years, and have NEVER been visited by city economic development people. I visited Mr.Murphy when he started his position and was assured that he had things happening in this area, and had a strong prior relationship with the current center owner. Mr.Murphy had no funds for my improvement projects, and pretty much accomplished nothing. Obviously he was in thick with the people at his new position though, travelling to Europe and Vegas on OUR time.

You can't even fill your gas tank anywhere in this area. The local youth lawn care business had a serious issue over having to be driven across town just to get gas for his mowers. Pathetic.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2008 at 9:51am
Agree Spider- what information would they have to substantiate the decision to hire a managers position when it was apparent that Murphy, in the role of Econ. Devel. Director, accomplished little to nothing and may not have kept busy enough to warrant the position in the first place. Now, we will have two high paying positions that will accomplish little to nothing.What a waste of taxpayer money. Come on, Ms. Gilleland, we thought you would be the voice of reason at city hall. Have you been converted to their way of thinking already? An audit of job responsibilities is urgently needed at the city building and cost savings to the city needs to happen through salaries/benefits packages now.We don't need top heavy city departments and no department needs a Director AND and Assist. Director as well as several manager slots to manage 5 or 10 people per department.Downsize and consolidate managerial duties among depts.(Oh, by the way- this goes for the school system too, Price. Don't need 3 or 4 assist. principals at each school either.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic