FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Have a Nice Retirement Chief Muterspaw

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have a Nice Retirement Chief Muterspaw
    Posted: Aug 13 2019 at 12:50pm
Read in the Journal where Chief Muterspaw will retire in January 2020. He will enter the private sector in his next job opportunity. The appointment of Chief Muterspaw was one of the better choices made by Middletown leadership in the last few decades. The man has a lot of class, common sense and leadership capabilities as demonstrated while holding the position of Police Chief. I was a neighbor of Rodney on Stratford for many years and saw him move up the ranks from patrolman to sergeant and beyond during that time. Great personality IMO and well deserved accolades should come his way.

I was hoping, that perhaps, at a later date, Rodney would consider the city manager's job. Think he would make a great one. Since the 80's, the city manager candidates have been a dry well as to quality. If only we could clone this individual for other city government positions.

Enjoy your long deserved retirement Mr. Muterspaw. It is well earned. Thank you for your 30 years of dedicated service to our city.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2019 at 2:40pm
Viet - I had the same reaction - he'd be a great city manager - but sounds like he's committed to the private sector going forward - gotta be easier than navigating city hall.

He's definitely one of the best- and he'll be sorely missed.  He truly has leadership qualities only found in a few and the men and women of his force truly respect him.  A great man for sure, let's hope the next one has the same qualities and respect in the community.
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2019 at 5:31pm
Hm.  Last day is Friday?  Wow - the Urinal seems to be quoting him as saying he's leaving early due to 'issues going on in the city" - interesting quote.
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2019 at 10:31am
I'd give even odds that his name is on the ballot for City Council in 2020.
There are two types of people: those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. People who walk the walk sometimes talk the talk but most times they don't talk at all, 'cause they walkin.'
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2019 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by middletownscouter middletownscouter wrote:

I'd give even odds that his name is on the ballot for City Council in 2020.

That would be ok although he has stated he intends not to get involved in the public sector again. If he did run for council, IMO, it would be the start of selecting quality candidates to fill the council. What we have now leaves so much to be desired. Not one current sitting council member need reapply for their position. None have helped the city IMO.

I would like to see RM in the city manager's slot but he wouldn't want the headaches that come from that after dealing with the rampant crime in this city as police chief. The people who would make decent council members and a decent city manager know that being elected to these positions, and trying to fix the messes created by previous members and city managers, would be a futile nightmare requiring decades to repair. Same goes for the pathetic school board. Too much to repair to get this school district back on course.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2019 at 3:41pm

Besides earning his real estate license, Muterspaw didn’t rule out running next year for Middletown City Council.

Muterspaw said he couldn’t count the number of phone calls, text messages and emails from Middletown residents he received in the past few days. He called the community support “unreal and very humbling.”

Like any private (or public) citizen, he has the right to change his mind as time goes on and circumstances change.  When he first announced his retirement, it was definitely "going private sector, no desire to entertain public life again" kind of a response.  But his retirement moves up by a few months, he talks about "issues in the city" and the narrative is changing somewhat.

Didn't Chief Becker do something similar?  He retired from the force and became City Manager first, then ran for council.

I think Mr. Muterspaw would be a good choice to represent the citizens of the city on Council if he chooses to run.

There are two types of people: those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. People who walk the walk sometimes talk the talk but most times they don't talk at all, 'cause they walkin.'
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2019 at 10:25am
You are correct.

Wasn't Becker given the city manager's job by council? Could be wrong on this.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2019 at 11:08am
I believe that City Council is responsible for the selection and hiring of the City Manager, so that would sound right.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2019 at 3:36pm
Birk is the new guy - here's wishing him all the success in the world! 

There may be a lot of problems in our city - but our First responders especially the Police are the best around - best of luck Chief!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic