FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LED Street Lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED Street Lights
    Posted: Aug 13 2019 at 1:02pm
Journal story about replacing the current street lights with LED type lighting in conjunction with Duke Energy. Will save quite a bit of money for the city and provide more efficient lighting. That sounds like some good solid common sense money savings IMO. Glad to see Mr. Adkins and the city leaders handling our money in a judicious manner and actually showing some balance and overages in the budget. It is easy to overspend and hard to be conservative with taxpayers money. Next thing to work on is a gradual spend down of taxpayer money in the downtown area and a ramping up of private sector developmental funds used as the only source for downtown growth. Loaning money to downtown developers who haven't produced should be abolished as well. Let's get out of the loan department business Mr. Adkins. History is not on your side on that one.

Credit goes where credit is due and that should be directed to Mr. Adkins and the current condition of the budget. Nice job Mr. City Manager and crew.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2019 at 3:31pm

I agree that this is a good, common sense move--something rare for our city leaders.

This emphasizes the waste of our  taxpayer money every year on the olde tyme lights for the mayor and his buds on South Main street installed a few years back.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 7:49am
Good point Mike. Let's see if the S. Main St. historical area goes LED along with the rest of the city. I'm going with a resounding no on that. S. Main St. will get LED lighting IF and WHEN old Larry Mulligan and his followers allow it to happen. LED lighting doesn't necessarily reflect the "ambiance" that they are trying to create down there. A more subdued "gaslight" effect is preferred. The chosen few will determine their lighting choices.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 7:38am
Then maybe connect those streetlight Duke meters to the adjacent homes or the S Main homeowners' association?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 10:19pm
I have been informed that the "historic" S Main lighting is not included because they are "pedestrian lighting" and not "street lights".
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2019 at 9:56am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

I have been informed that the "historic" S Main lighting is not included because they are "pedestrian lighting" and not "street lights".

Well......of course they are. Wondering now what the difference is or is this just some concocted nonsense as to fictional lighting jargon to appease the situation?

OR, did ole Larry exercise his role as city mayor to exclude his little utopia from LED participation? Hilarious to see the elitists operate in this city. We get what we are told we are getting and they get a choice. Special treatment once again for the pompous chosen few.

Gotta have that frikkin' ambiance down there on old S. Main, don't we?

The self importance in some people is a tad bit overbearing at times. Egos can run rampant. People, you are self appointed big fish in a little pond. This ain't a big city. Get over yourselves.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2019 at 5:32pm

Well, bless their little pea-pickin' hearts!

That's strange! 

Those olde tyme "period street lamps" were sold as replacements for the "street lights" that existed at the time, and as I recall, it took about 3 or 4 of the "period street lamps" to replace each standard street light because the olde tyme "period STREET LAMPS" were so much lower to the ground!!!  That's why we taxpayers have been footing the bill for a 3 to 4 times higher electric bill for South Main Street's little slice of heaven!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2019 at 12:14am
More to remember, mr.p—I believe that the pedestrian lighting is an addition because the street lighting was maintained(pedestrian lighting wasn’t enough to safely light the streets).

Not my bizness—looks good!
Should have been wired to the meters of property owners imo
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2019 at 11:10am
Wow it has been a long time since I have been on here.
I am fine with the LED street lights, we have them on the east side and they have made a huge difference in lighting. It would be nice to get rid of all the rust colored light poles in our town. It would be nice if they upgrade the main arteries light poles coming into the city, but oh well I guess downtown and s. main are the only ones that matter.Disapprove  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic